The W-M Tactic - A Revolution By Herbert Chapman

WonderManager

Reaction score
Note: This is a discussion thread. Everything can / will be changed

I'm in an attempt to recreate this historical formation in Football Manager 2011, mainly 2 reasons:
1) Herbert Chapman led Arsenal to glory with this tactic
2) The tactic's name matches my initials of my user name

W-M Tactic described:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_(association_football)#WM
http://library.thinkquest.org/27353/english/formations/form1.html

This is what I got so far
The Formation:
Shape:
View attachment 152377

Team Instructions:

View attachment 152378View attachment 152379

Team Roles:
GK: Sweeper Keeper - Defend
LB/RB: Wing Back - Defend
CB: Central Defender - Cover
DMC (Left): Defensive Midfielder - Support
DMC (Right): Defensive Midfielder - Defend
AMC (Left): Advanced Playmaker - Support
AMC (Right): Attacking Midfielder - Support
FL/FR: Inside Forward - Attack
FC: Poacher - Attack

Changes will be made to improve the tactic

Main Problems with this tactic:
The gap between the DL/DR and the DC is too big even though I play narrow
The "Magic Square" becomes a triangle
The Defender Cover always gets battered when 2 strikers meet up with him

Minor Problems:
The width of the tactic is yet to confirm
The depth of the defensive line is yet to confirm
The mid 4 isn't passing as much as they can

Extras:
Pitch Size: Minimum
OI: No / *** Man
Touchline shouts: Never bothered
Match Preparation: Defensive Positioning

My idea of the shape of the tactic:
Shape while Attacking:

View attachment 152377

Shape while Defending:
View attachment 152431

Results:

View attachment 152421View attachment 152422

League Table:
View attachment 152425

Matches:
View attachment 152424
View attachment 152426
View attachment 152427

Download: (or Make one Yourself [Recommended])
http://www.mediafire.com/?u4gto527t3mm1wu

So if anyone interested in recreating this tactic, you can help improve this tactic by posting some suggestions, tweaks etc

WM that Chapman used wasn't controlling possession tactic, it was direct counter attacking. In defence they dropped deep. Also it evolved from tactic of 2 defenders, so I would make it 3 CDs, on paper it doesn't look so much of a WM then, but helps you with your problem and propably is close enough to WM. When Chapman played it it was against 2-3-5, so that fullbacks defended wingers, central defender marked striker and defensive mids (I don't know the English word for what it was called back then) marked the forwards between striker and wingers (don't know the English word). So it was man marking, not zonal. My TI would look like this:

Strategy: counter
passing: direct
creative freedom: more disciplined
closing down: stand-off more
tackling: not sure how they tackled back then
marking: man
crossing: drill crosses
roaming: stick to position

deep defensive line and quick tempo.

fullbacks/CDs: fullback/central defender - defend
defensive mids: defensive midfielder and deep lying playmaker, both with defend
attacking mids: attacking midfielder - attack
STL&R: inside forward/winger - attack
STC - poacher - attack

That is how I see WM, and how it was descriped by a book about history of tactics.

W-M Tactic (Small update)
Well, I followed some instructions from SS19 and it worked out better in the defence and it created more CCCs.

Changes made
Starting strategy > Counter
Passing style > More Direct
Marking > Man
Wing Backs > Full Backs
Central Defender - Cover > Central Defender - Defend
Width > Narrowest
Defensive line > Deepest
Tempo > Quickest

Note: It's currently in testing so nothing guaranteed.
Anybody interested can leave some suggestions here or make your own W-M Tactic and share your findings.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?22anksh158v803q

W-M Tactic (Small update)
Well, I followed some instructions from SS19 and it worked out better in the defence and it created more CCCs.

Changes made
Starting strategy > Counter
Passing style > More Direct
Marking > Man
Wing Backs > Full Backs
Central Defender - Cover > Central Defender - Defend
Width > Narrowest
Defensive line > Deepest
Tempo > Quickest

Note: It's currently in testing so nothing guaranteed.
Anybody interested can leave some suggestions here or make your own W-M Tactic and share your findings.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?22anksh158v803q

Nice to notice that my advice worked. I really didn't meant to make it better, just stated how it was (according to book by Jonathan Wilson). Chapman realised that team can attack too long, so he asked his players to sometimes play the ball back down and then make fast attack when opposition players were dragged out of position.

Would be nice to see some screenshots from matches.

Nice to notice that my advice worked. I really didn't meant to make it better, just stated how it was (according to book by Jonathan Wilson). Chapman realised that team can attack too long, so he asked his players to sometimes play the ball back down and then make fast attack when opposition players were dragged out of position.

Would be nice to see some screenshots from matches.

Haven't really started the "real testing" as I only have time on the weekends so I played the tactic for a while with Fulham and West Brom so no screenshots yet (sorry).

Problems:
1. I found out that, the team are simply shooting even though they have less creative freedom and long shots set to rarely. Most matches were 15+ Shots with only 5 - 8 SOTs.
2. The gap between the CB, DMC, and FB are still too big.

Haven't really started the "real testing" as I only have time on the weekends so I played the tactic for a while with Fulham and West Brom so no screenshots yet (sorry).

Problems:
1. I found out that, the team are simply shooting even though they have less creative freedom and long shots set to rarely. Most matches were 15+ Shots with only 5 - 8 SOTs.
2. The gap between the CB, DMC, and FB are still too big.

1. Look at which players are shooting too much and try to lower their mentality a little. When playing counter this may have some bad consequences though.
2. Try your FBs as CDs, you have wide width so they might just position themselves wide enough to still fit the idea of the tactic, altough seems different on the paper.

Hi, i have been trying to make a tactic like this, although i have different Team Instructions, narrow width and a high line and i have just started the season with barca. Just beat sevilla 7-0 away in the cup first leg. I think i have got an amazing tactic on my hands, i will upload when i have tested it more and by the way retrain pique to DM he is beastly there. On my tactic the two DM drop back next the CB when defending to give it stability so pique and mascherano are brilliant for this role and plus pique has good passing and composure so he has the attributes to play in midfield. Good luck though, nice tactic!

First things first. This tactic is completely obsolete from today standings!
But is nice to see someone trying a historical and very important formation.
Some suggestions: The wide forwards, in the original formation, are wingers. So, you should swap messi and pedro.
Second, Villa is not suited for this tactic ( from a historic stand-point), you should try a target-man style of player.
Third: The attacking mids where classified as inside forwards in the time, so you should instruct them to cut inside.
Fourth: This tactic was really a high octane one, so very fast paced. But i dont remember if the pass should be direct or long.
And last, the book suggested by SS19, is really a excellent read. The name is 'Inverting the Pyramid' by Jonathan Wilson