Reaction score

View attachment 63484

The Warriors - The Way of Zimbabwe

On FM15 I fell in love with Zimbabwe - I spent 50 years in charge of the Southern African side, winning 13 African Cup of Nations in a row.

One thing that always eluded me was the World Cup final - I could beat any team in a friendly, win the Confederations Cup - but lasting the distance on the World's biggest stage was just not possible.

Now, after finally picking up FM18 - there is only one place to start - in Harare, with my Warriors!

In FM15 I tried my best at a secondary goal - of beating every country in the world. That's going to be my main goal this year, So every in-game year I'll update a list of teams we've beaten!

___________________________________________________________________________________________

JAY ARTEE CONFIRMED AS NEW ZIMBABWE MANAGER

- FEBRUARY 28TH 2017

In a surprising turn of events, Welsh manager Jay Artee has been revealed as the new coach of the Warriors - despite having little to no experience of the game.

The 20-year old has spent most of his short career scouting non-league teams in his native UK, and it remains to be seen if there are any transferable skills for International management.

Speaking to the assembled press, Artee stated: "I know there'll be plenty of questions asked of myself during my time in charge of the national team, and I've only one thing to say regarding them. Let me do my talking on the pitch - if the results aren't forthcoming, pressurise me then."

"For now, all of our focus should be on improving the national team. I know that's where my focus is entirely."

With Africa's premier continental competition expanding to 24 teams, the upcoming campaign is the perfect opportunity for the Warriors to go to consecutive African Cup of Nations since 2004 and 2006.

"There's a bit of pressure since the last regime managed to qualify under the old, harsher qualifying system," began Artee, who will take up permanent residence in Harare.

"But I'm not too concerned about how we match up to the old regime - at least not immediately."

Previous management had already set up friendlies next month against African rivals Liberia and São Tomé and Príncipe, and Artee has no plans to re-arrange the fixtures.

"It's likely that we'll face at least one country of a similar stature to either Liberia or São Tomé in the qualifiers, so it makes sense to see how we match-up."

"I am keen to arrange friendlies with countries outside of CAF - we play so much domestic football there's only so much you can gain from playing the same sides over and over."

Artee will announce his squad to face Liberia and São Tomé and Príncipe in mid-March.

JUNE FRIENDLIES OUTLINED FOR WARRIORS

View attachment 63461

Manager Jay Artee has revealed that his Zimbabwe team will host two Caribbean sides in June, ahead of his side's African Cup of Nations campaign.

Despite not knowing who his charges will have to face to make it to the finals in Cameroon in two year's time, the Warriors will play their first qualifier on the 10th of June.

Speaking to the press, Artee commented: "I thought it would be vital to build some momentum ahead of the start of our competitive fixtures."

"I'd only get to see the team play twice before otherwise, so it makes sense for me to face off against a different kind of opposition."

With the draw for the Qualifiers just weeks away, Artee was calm when quizzed about potential opponents.

"There's what - 54? 56? Countries in Africa? It's hard to guess who'll we get, but we roughly know thatwe won't be favourites to qualify."

Artee also announced plans for another six friendlies, to be hosted during August, September, October, and November.

"We aren't in the World Cup Qualifiers so we have a lot of free time. Like I said before, I want to play countries of other confederations, but we do have the advantage of playing them all at home.

"It'll be a good opportunity for our fans to see a lot of football, and hopefully it'll be a good showing for them."

The Warriors will take on Samoa, Vanuatu, Cuba, Belize, Laos and Malta at the back-end of the year.

"We were restricted in picking teams that also have no competitive commitments. However, I feel we've got a nice variation, as well as the fact they are all winnable games."

Focus now turns to the two friendlies against Liberia and
São Tomé and Príncipe later this month.

WARRIORS WIN IN ARTEE'S FIRST MATCH
naXoJS

naXoJS

View attachment 63459

Zimbabwe cruised to a 3-0 win over Liberia last night, as new manager Jay Artee finally took charge of the Warriors for the first time.

The hosts controlled proceedings throughout, and the fans watching on didn't have to wait long for the first goal of Artee's reign.

Nyasha Mushekwi spearheaded the Warriors, acting as the focal point for the majority of Zimbabwe's attacks. His header from Knowledge Musona's cross opened the scores on the 37th minute mark, with Mushekwi following up his opener with the assist for Zimbabwe's second.

Holding the ball up under pressure from the Liberian defence, the China-based striker fashioned in winger Mahachi to kill the game off just before half-time.

Zim eased off the gas in the second-half, but eventually wore down Liberia for their third. With six minutes to go, Mushekwi was set free by a ball over the top, allowing the striker to place the ball home for his second of the evening.

Speaking to Artee after the game, Zim's manager stated: "I thought we were in control throughout. I'm honestly struggling to recall a moment when we were truly threatened."

"The players have responded well to what little input we've managed to give them, so the signs are positive for what's to come."

With the Warriors back in action in just day's time, there might be the temptation to rotate the squad - but it appears Artee will stick with what he feels is his best XI.

"Early on, I think we have to cement what is our best options for a starting team. There's no point chopping and changing, because in International football consolidation is a rare commodity. We need that consistency to have any chance going forward, so unless I'm forced into it, I'd like to keep the same team going forward."

"If it needs changing, or tinkering, then we'll do so - but it's all looking good from where I'm standing."

A really interesting save idea, I look forward to watching this develop. Good luck also!