THE WINGER-DRIVEN FLAT 4-4-2 - Underdog Special (influences from Knap)

Reaction score
This is the first time I have uploaded a tactic here so bare with me...

In recent years I've been particularly interested in the success of the 4-4-2, with the likes of Sean Dyche's Burnley, Ranieri's Leicester and even Iceland showing that the 4-4-2 is still more than ever able to defy expectation.

However, I've had limited such success on FM18 with the 4-4-2 - until now, with this WINGER DRIVEN FLAT 4-4-2.

THE TACTIC:

View attachment 48170
View attachment 48173

I've tested with this multiple underdog and sub-top teams, eventually creating something that is as capable of scoring multiple goals at home as it is shutting out the opposition away.

The tactic is all about doing the basics well and keeping it tight at the back whilst also creating a good number of chances.

I have taken influences from Knap, so credit goes to him (Two false nines and his corner tactics).

I haven't yet tested this with any big teams so am unsure how it will do against the very best, and also believe that with tweaking to player roles/ instructions it will be even better - so be my guest!

THE RESULTS:

Burnley (Begun using tactic after Man U game):
View attachment 48172 View attachment 48171

Nottingham Forest:
View attachment 48175

KEYPOINTS OF INTEREST:

1) Wingers:
This tactic heavily relies on the wingers beating their man and getting the ball into the box, so fast players with good crossing are needed. Left footed on left side, right footed on right side preferred.

2) Strikers:
The forwards will also move into the channels and get crosses into each other, so left footed on left side, right footed on right side preferred. Key stats are pace, anticipation, finishing, strength, heading and passing I'd say.

3) CMs:
Both CMs need good mental and defensive stats as they will sit deep and help keep it compact at the back. Good passing would also be preferred to help unlock defenses.

4) Defense:
Nothing too crazy needed here, just the basics. Full backs could also do with good crossing/ pace.

I like all my players to have good work rate and determination to ensure good results against the best teams, but this is an after thought really.

Opposition instructions: None.
Training: Leave to assistant.

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

View attachment 48168
View attachment 48167

Last edited:
i have been using your tactics and i can say that best tactics i ever use in fm 2018 and i gave up using 442 in fm 2013, you make me play with 442 again. thanks bro.

i have been using your tactics and i can say that best tactics i ever use in fm 2018 and i gave up using 442 in fm 2013, you make me play with 442 again. thanks bro.

I would like to try it too, as I don't like 3 def, att tactics.
which team are you play with ?
could you show some screenshots of your team and results ?

No problem man, realistic tactics are what this game is about, not breaking the match engine :) Glad you're enjoying.

I am going to give this a go with my Arsenal save.
I love the 4-4-2 formation, it has been a favourite of mine for several years.

I am going to give this a go with my Arsenal save.
I love the 4-4-2 formation, it has been a favourite of mine for several years.

Glad to hear it!

Report back my man, I've yet to test this with a top team so it may prove to be pretty bad - its a fairly basic template after all.

Hi, loving the tactic... I'm currently using it on my Newcastle save on the 95/96 database, Gillespie and Ginola are tearing the wings up with Ferdinand smashing the goals in.. However in conceding a **** of a lot of goals from teams going down my wings past my full backs and crossing -goal every time. Any ideas how I can stop this?

Hi, loving the tactic... I'm currently using it on my Newcastle save on the 95/96 database, Gillespie and Ginola are tearing the wings up with Ferdinand smashing the goals in.. However in conceding a **** of a lot of goals from teams going down my wings past my full backs and crossing -goal every time. Any ideas how I can stop this?

Thanks for pointing this out! After a bit of testing, I've worked out that if you do the following it should help to reduce conceding from crosses:

1) Wingers specifically marking opposition full backs (i.e. Left winger specifically mark right back in player instructions).
2) Turn on close down more for both full backs in player instructions.
3) Use the following OIs:
View attachment 44858

Obviously having good fullbacks, hardworking wingers, and tall strong centre backs will also help this.

I tried the above and have conceded 1 goal in 4 games since!

Hope this helps :)

Is the new tactic still used with the Away ? or used for all games thanks

Thanks for pointing this out! After a bit of testing, I've worked out that if you do the following it should help to reduce conceding from crosses:

1) Wingers specifically marking opposition full backs (i.e. Left winger specifically mark right back in player instructions).
2) Turn on close down more for both full backs in player instructions.
3) Use the following OIs:
View attachment 1170491

Obviously having good fullbacks, hardworking wingers, and tall strong centre backs will also help this.

I tried the above and have conceded 1 goal in 4 games since!

Hope this helps :)

wingers man mark just fullbacks ? or do they do the same with wingbacks as well ?

Is the new tactic still used with the Away ? or used for all games thanks

I'd only use this at home really, same principles apply for away, although I'm still struggling to get it right for away games to be honest - sometimes can get dominated down the flanks.

wingers man mark just fullbacks ? or do they do the same with wingbacks as well ?

Same with Wing backs, although to be honest the best thing you can do is try to get tall fast full backs with good jumping reach, positioning, concentration and anticipation - means they should be able to compete in the air and prevent crosses more readily.

Great to see a classic 442 with proper wingers. Cudos!

Hows the possession? Is it sort of a 50/50-ish possesion wise or is the team always below 50? By a lot?

Great to see a classic 442 with proper wingers. Cudos!

Hows the possession? Is it sort of a 50/50-ish possesion wise or is the team always below 50? By a lot?

Thanks man! Its still a work in progress haha.

Yeah 50/50, they scrap to get the ball back quite quickly and then theres fairly quick build up play so makes sense really.

Thank you for sharing your brilliant tactic(s). It's done wonders for the game experience :D

I'm currently playing as York. I'm on a fifteen game unbeaten run, and its looking good. Just beat Salford, placed 2nd, 0-2 away.

I used a couple of hours looking for the right addition of players for my team, so maybe thats a key factor as well:D

I changed the two strikers to DLF, one ATT and one SUP as supply of F9 for lower league is limited.

My team is ok, nothing fancy, but avg rating is ok I guess ^^)

View attachment 40668

Here is some stats so far:

View attachment 40690
View attachment 40689View attachment 40669
View attachment 40688View attachment 40670
View attachment 40676View attachment 40673

Going for 0 losses...lets see if its possible :D

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your brilliant tactic(s). It's done wonders for the game experience :D

I'm currently playing as York. I'm on a fifteen game unbeaten run, and its looking good. Just beat Salford, placed 2nd, 0-2 away.

I used a couple of hours looking for the right addition of players for my team, so maybe thats a key factor as well:D

I changed the two strikers to DLF, one ATT and one SUP as supply of F9 for lower league is limited.

My team is ok, nothing fancy, but avg rating is ok I guess ^^)

View attachment 1174939

Here is some stats so far:

View attachment 1174917
View attachment 1174918View attachment 1174938
View attachment 1174919View attachment 1174937
View attachment 1174931View attachment 1174934

Going for 0 losses...lets see if its possible :D

Hi mate are you playing with the MR & ML Man marking the DL & DR? And also the updated Leicester version?

The reason I ask is I'm trying it with Hungerford Town in the Vanarama SOuth and having mixed-to-good results only. Nothing like what you're having.

Hi mate are you playing with the MR & ML Man marking the DL & DR? And also the updated Leicester version?

The reason I ask is I'm trying it with Hungerford Town in the Vanarama SOuth and having mixed-to-good results only. Nothing like what you're having.

Hi!

Playing original version, but almost never the away tactic. Seem to work better without..But will try it some more if I start to lose :).

I use the man-marking as mentioned above, and I think this together with the right additon of players is one of the key elements for the success. After 15 games I have only conceded 5 goals...

Also, use the customise possibilities in the game when searching for players. Remove all stats not needed for the requested position. I've never done this before this save, but It made me find player gems I would have missed otherwise.

For hints on what to look for in each position. Se link below

https://fmmobile.net/2017/12/05/key-attributes-for-the-player-roles/

This together with common sense..and you should be able to find players that fit your tactic.

My best player (highest avg. rating), Christian Hill is only Competent for his position (ML), so it looks like attributes is more important then suitability....

Last edited:
Hi!

Playing original version, but almost never the away tactic. Seem to work better without..But will try it some more if I start to lose

Writing on my Iphone...its a pain...half of message missing..will post more later.

Hi Ivers,

Glad you're enjoying the tactic and thanks for sharing your results!

I too can confirm that the home tactic seems to be the way forward in more recent patches, and I would now advise against using the man marking for wingers on full-backs and focus more on buying the right kinds of players - particularly just getting good, quick, strong, tall full backs and fast wingers and forwards.

I've begun using an Inverted winger and wing back on the right to good effect - no other changes. Could be something that could be worth exploring as a combination on either one or both wings :)