The World’s Most Valuable Soccer Teams: Inside The Numbers

• Thread starter Thread starter Vanjagl
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 3K
Ok lets apply that to Utd here.
£500M bond issue over 7 years (2010-2017) at 6% yield interest gpa.
500M x 0.06 = 30M dividends each year
30M x 7 (years) = 210M purely dividends over 7 years.
Then £500M must be repaid in 2017 along with the 210M that had been paid over the previous 7 years.
Along with this the club has a service debt currently around £450M which costs the club around a further £44M intrest yearly.

That results in at least £70M being paid in intrrest every year with the overall debt of the club not reducing. The likelyhood is that it actually increases due to banks having a service charge and refinancing of debts. It simply cant go on forever.

This may also interest United fans:
Until November 2010, there was also £249m of “payment in kind” (PIK) loans owed by Red Football Joint Venture Limited, the parent company of Red Football. They were secured on the shares of Red Football. They were repaid in November 2010, but no explanation of where this £249m came from has been forthcoming. It is likely, although cannot be proved, that new debt was issued (probably in the US) to repay the PIKs.

As i mentioned before its not uncommon practice for companies to try fool the stock markets into thinking that they are healthy. Its a large scale game of roulette and eventually somebody will lose and the consequences are massive.

I agree with Joel. Its also worth noting that Irelands problems began with irregularities in Anglo Irish Bank. They loaned money from another bank to prop up thier balance sheet at time of accounts to inflate its value. It has almost bankrupted a country so what makes people think it wont bring down a football club.

I agree, but if United collect money by emitting bonds, it should cover their debt to bank, so, what's left is intrest. But, still, United will need to pay £100M a year. And that's not good. That's why I don't think United will issue bonds worth £500M. It would be disaster for club finance.

I have only objection, and that is the use of the world 'Soccer'. If I were to ever find the **** who invented that word, I'd decapitate him and **** down his throat, and then strap his head to an elephants **** and parade it through the streets of New York so that every american knows what's coming to him unless he learns the proper name of the sport.

Maybe a little excessive, but I swear it bugs me to even read the word. Makes me feel guilty every time I play PES.

I feel like such a fool, I don't understand what you guys are talking about :(

I doubt your alone Sid ;) About 90% percent of clubs are in deep **** basically....
Joel seems to grasp my idea well. Debt is just consolidated and moved around. The level of debt rarely changes. Despite Uniteds high revenues,if they wanted to pay their loans back in the morning they couldnt. So in truth of law it isnt manageable debt.
Valjagl back to the original subject,maybe the op should be edited to include a list of the top 20 teams on the list?

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

I have only objection, and that is the use of the world 'Soccer'. If I were to ever find the **** who invented that word, I'd decapitate him and **** down his throat, and then strap his head to an elephants **** and parade it through the streets of New York so that every american knows what's coming to him unless he learns the proper name of the sport.

Maybe a little excessive, but I swear it bugs me to even read the word. Makes me feel guilty every time I play PES.

I sometime mention soccer to my friends as we get confused due to us also having football (GAA) lol

Read my above post in detail. Also dont blame the governments for what has happened the countries.Not so sure about Greece and portugal but ireland wouldnt have service debt only for nama and the state guarantee on all savings. The main culprit is Anglo Irish Bank and corrupt bank officials. But that isnt the topic on hand.

Well, dunno about Ireland, but im quite sure Portugal and Greece governments are responsible for their financial fall. I did read it, and I agree with it ;)

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

It was c/p , not my fault :D

I doubt your alone Sid ;) About 90% percent of clubs are in deep **** basically....
Joel seems to grasp my idea well. Debt is just consolidated and moved around. The level of debt rarely changes. Despite Uniteds high revenues,if they wanted to pay their loans back in the morning they couldnt. So in truth of law it isnt manageable debt.
Vanjagl* back to the original subject,maybe the op should be edited to include a list of the top 20 teams on the list?

*fixed :P, and Im on it :)

Valjagl back to the original subject,maybe the op should be edited to include a list of the top 20 teams on the list?

I found this...

#20 Borussia Dortmund
League: German Bundesliga
Owner/Majority Shareholder: Morgan Stanley International Ltd.
Stadium: Signal Iduna Park (Seating Capacity:80,500)
Current Value: $260 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): -1%
Revenues: $124 mil

#19 Atletico de Madrid
League: Liga BBVA
Owner/Majority Shareholder: Gil family
Stadium: Vicente Calderon (Seating Capacity:55,000)
Current Value: $275 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): 4%
Revenues: $153 mil

#18 Olympique Marseille
League: Ligue 1 Orange
Owner/Majority Shareholder: Margarita Louis-Dreyfus
Stadium: Stade Velodrome (Seating Capacity:60,000)
Current Value: $277 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): 6%
Revenues: $173 mil

#17 Werder Bremen
Owner/Majority Shareholder: club members
Stadium: Weserstadion (Seating Capacity:32,100)
Current Value: $279 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): 2%
Revenues: $147 mil

#16 VIB Stuttgart
Stadium: Mercedes-Benz Arena (Seating Capacity:52,000)
Current Value: $281 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): 0%
Revenues: $141 mil

#15 Manchester City
League: Barclays Premier League
Owner/Majority Shareholder: Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan
Stadium: City of Manchester Stadium (Seating Capacity:47,700)
Current Value: $291 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): 13%
Revenues: $153 mil

#14 Hamburg SV
Stadium: Imtech Arena (Seating Capacity:51,700)
Current Value: $340 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): 3%
Revenues: $179 mil

#13 Olympique Lyonnais
League: Ligue 1 Orange
Owner/Majority Shareholder: Jean-Michel Aulas
Stadium: Stade Gerland (Seating Capacity:41,800)
Current Value: $358 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): 8%

#12 Schalke 04
Stadium: VELTINS-Arena (Seating Capacity:54,000)
Current Value: $377 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): -2%
Revenues: $171 mil

#11 Tottenham Hotspur
Owner/Majority Shareholder: Joseph Lewis
Stadium: White Hart Lane (Seating Capacity:36,200)
Current Value: $412 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): 11%

#10 Inter Milan
League: Serie A TIM
Owner/Majority Shareholder: Massimo Moratti
Stadium: San Siro (Seating Capacity:80,100)
Current Value: $441 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): 7%
Revenues: $275 mil

#9 Liverpool
Owner/Majority Shareholder: John Henry, Tom Werner
Stadium: Anfield (Seating Capacity:45,300)
Current Value: $552 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): -33%
Revenues: $276 mil

#8 Juventus
Owner/Majority Shareholder: Agnelli family
Stadium: Stadio Olimpico di Torino (Seating Capacity:27,500)
Current Value: $628 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): -4%
Revenues: $251 mil

#7 Chelsea
Owner/Majority Shareholder: Roman Abramovich
Stadium: Stamford Bridge (Seating Capacity:42,500)
Current Value: $658 mil
Revenues: $313 mil

#6 AC Milan
Owner/Majority Shareholder: Silvio Berlusconi
Stadium: San Siro (Seating Capacity:80,100)
Current Value: $838 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): 5%
Revenues: $289 mil

#5 Barcelona
Stadium: Camp Nou (Seating Capacity:98,800)
Current Value: $975 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): -2%
Revenues: $488 mil

#4 Bayern Munich
Stadium: Allianz Arena (Seating Capacity:69,000)
Current Value: $1,048 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): 6%
Revenues: $396 mil

#3 Arsenal
Owner/Majority Shareholder: E. Stanley Kroenke
Stadium: Emirates Stadium (Seating Capacity:60,400)
Current Value: $1,192 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): 1%
Revenues: $336 mil

#2 Real Madrid
Stadium: Estadio Santiago Bernabeu (Seating Capacity:80,400)
Current Value: $1,451 mil
1-yr Value Change (U.S.): 10%
Revenues: $537 mil

#1 Manchester United
Owner/Majority Shareholder: Glazer family
Stadium: Old Trafford (Seating Capacity: 76,000)
Current Value: $1,864 mil
Revenues: $428 mil

Last edited:
Well, dunno about Ireland, but im quite sure Portugal and Greece governments are responsible for their financial fall. I did read it, and I agree with it ;)

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

It was c/p , not my fault :D

*fixed :P, and Im on it :)

They spent far too much and issued short term bonds rather than long term ones, so then they had to borrow more and more to pay off the short term ones, and they couldn't keep up with interest, but that's another topic.

And bonds are still a bad idea, you're not fixing the problem you're hiding from it. The best way would be to pay back the debt in manageable chunks. If we just issue bonds then we will eventually up to our eyeballs in interest repayments.

Vanjagl, yours is for 2010, you can use mine in the OP, not the whole thing just the teams and value :)

---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

Cool. :)

As for anybody who wishes to se the list heres the top 10:
1....Man Utd................Value:$1864M
2....Real Madrid...........Value:$1451M
3....Arsenal.................Value:$1192M
4....Bayern Munich.......Value:$1048M
5....Barcelona..............Value:$975M
6....AC Milan................Value:$838M
7....Chelsea.................Value:$658M
8....Juventus................Value:$628M
9....Liverpool................Value:$552M
10..Inter Milan..............Value:$441M

ahem ahem, i posted a longer one :D

Vanjagl, yours is for 2010, you can use mine in the OP, not the whole thing just the teams and value :)

---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

ahem ahem, i posted a longer one :D

Pfft...You copied and pasted :p I noticed that and deleted it :D

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 AM ----------

Itss strange to see the Magpies in the top 20 aswell...

There, OP is ****** now :D
****, let's continue this tomorrow, its 4am here, and im tierd.

Last edited:
****, let's continue this tomorrow, its 4am here, and im tierd.

I concur, im nackered but enjoy being able to have a good discussion about finance. Chat tomorrow guys :)

They spent far too much and issued short term bonds rather than long term ones, so then they had to borrow more and more to pay off the short term ones, and they couldn't keep up with interest, but that's another topic.

And bonds are still a bad idea, you're not fixing the problem you're hiding from it. The best way would be to pay back the debt in manageable chunks. If we just issue bonds then we will eventually up to our eyeballs in interest repayments.

Greek debt crisis | how did the Greek economy get into such a mess? | World news | The Guardian ;)
Bonds are good in short term for raising money which you don't have. So, if you don't have money, you can't pay back your debt in chunks. You issue bonds, cover your debt and delay ( you can say hide, too) it for some other time ( lets say 5 years). If you overuse bonds, you'll get f***d just like some companies in my country. They issued bonds, but they couldn't cover them, and they gone in bankruptcy. That's why you need to have good financial play.

Back