Nomadic

Reaction score

View attachment 142977

The creation and rise of the North American Soccer League in the 1960s and 1970s was supposed to be the platform to make the national side a power house in world football. However, things didn't really go to plan with only 2 international matches being played between 1981 and 1983.

It took until 1990 for the USA to re-emerge onto the World Stage as they qualified for the 1990 World Cup following a 40 year absence. Although they went on to lose all 3 group games, they were back on the scene, just in time to host the 1994 World Cup, where they reached the last 16.

View attachment 142972

Since the turn of the 21st century, the USA have become a regular name on the International circuit, reaching the World Cup quarter finals in 2002, whilst winning the CONCACAF Gold Cup 4 times (5 in total).

The man that has been tasked with the job of bringing the USA to the top of World Football is former national goalkeeper, Brad Friedel. He is a well known name within the footballing community, having played in the Premier league for 18 years and earning 82 International Caps.

View attachment 142969

The story will begin in January 2015......Can Friedel be the man to make the USA a footballing powerhouse?

View attachment 1061449
Brad Friedel: USA appoint former keeper as manager

View attachment 142915
15 January 2015

USA have named former international goalkeeper Brad Friedel as their new manager.

The 43-year-old, capped 82 times by his country, takes over from the hugely popular Jurgen Klinsmann, following a 4 year spell.

With no previous coaching experience behind him, the appointment of Friedel to succeed Klinsmann has come as a bit of a shock to the whole footballing community.

"I have to admit I was as shocked as anyone when the United States Soccer Federation approached me, but am overwhelmingly grateful to be given the opportunity to return to the National set up after a 10 year absence. I may not have much coaching history behind me, but have worked with some top managers during my 21 years as a professional player and will be bringing this knowledge with me."

Friedel's style of management is still a mystery to everyone but he has assured the nation that their will be no favoritism in his selections.

"I am fully aware of who our best players are on paper, the likes of Clint (Dempsey) and Michael (Bradley) but I will not hesitate in not selecting them if they are not impressing at domestic level. An in form player is much more useful than an out of form superstar in my eyes."

Friedel has wasted no time in laying down the law to his players and only time will tell if his ruthless selection policy will be a success. The first match under the new Friedel reign will be a friendly on the 27th March against Zambia

View attachment 142913

Last edited:
View attachment 142766
Friedel Announces 23 Man Squad For Zambia Friendly

View attachment 142756

20th March 2015

U.S Men's national Team Coach Brad Friedel has announced his 23 man squad to prepare for the away trip to Zambia in what will be Friedel's managerial debut.

The U.S travels to take on Zambia at the Independence Stadium, Lusaka on Friday, March 27th at 19:30 local time.

Friedel has announced a pretty safe squad, with the inclusion of Bradley Johnson and Christian Pulisic who could make their international debuts. Johnson is elidgable to play for the USA through American heritage, but has been previously overlooked. Whist the hot prospect of Pulisic has been called up at the age of just 16, although is rumoured to be involved with the squad more for experience.

U.S. Roster

Goalkeepers

Tim Howard (Everton)

Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)

William Yarbrough (Leon)

Defenders

Matt Besler (Kansas)

John Brooks (Hertha Berlin)

Edgar Castillo (Monterrey)

Timothy Chandler (Frankfurt)

Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach)

Michael Orozco Fiscal (Xoloitzcuintles de Tijuana)

Tim Ream (Fulham)

DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland)

Midfielders

Michael Bradley (Toronto)

Geoff Cameron (Stoke)

Clint Dempsey (Seattle)

Julian Green (Bayern Munich)

Bradley Johnson (Derby)

Christian Pulisic (Dortmund)

Jose Francisco Torres (Tigres)

Daniel Williams (Reading)

Graham Zusi (Kansas)

Strikers

Jozy Altidore (Toronto)

Aron Johannsson (Werder Bremen)

Bobby Wood (Berlin Köpenick-Dammfeld)

View attachment 142684
Friedel Makes Winning Start In Zambia

View attachment 142679
View attachment 142680

27th​ March 2015

The United States had to overcome a resilient Zambia side on a warm evening in Lusaka.

Match preparations took an early blow as Friedel was forced to make a late change to his starting line up with Bradley Johnson falling ill just hours before he was set to make his international debut.

View attachment 142682

Despite the pre game setback, Johannsson got the U.S. off to a flyer as he managed to get his head on the end of Fabian Johnsons whipped cross after just 8 minutes.

The start of the second half saw a big change up to the U.S. line-up as Friedel was forced to make 5 substitutions due to various club instructions.

These changes failed to affect the performance as Julian Green cooly slotted the ball into the bottom left corner, before Geoff Cameron sealed the victory from the spot on the 67th​ minute mark.

Zambia did get a consolation goal in the 90th​ minute to deny the clean sheet.

“I was really pleased with the performances from all the lads today in tough conditions. There is clearly a lot of work to still be done, as I have only had 4 days to work with the squad, but we got the win we were looking for and can fly back happy”

View attachment 142681

How many stories do you have up and running? I must admit that I'm quite at a loss on that...XD (Also is the Old Gold/Wales story still active or it just came to an end?).

Anyway...
This could prove to be a really interesting project if it ends becoming a long term one as for some reason USA generates insanely good regens so the longer the story the more chances Team USA will have to become a force to be feared, also be careful of that since I noticed that is relatively common for good American regens to have dual citizenships (in my save I have three cases like that two with English citizenship and one with German) which could lead them to choose the other country over USA (those three lads instantly rejected the thought of playing with USA in my save).

I wish you good luck and I'll drop by every now and then to check how are things going ^^

.P.S.:
Berlin Köpenick-Dammfeld

I assume that you're playing without the real name fix, right?
As that team is actually Union Berlin.

How many stories do you have up and running? I must admit that I'm quite at a loss on that...XD (Also is the Old Gold/Wales story still active or it just came to an end?).

Anyway...
This could prove to be a really interesting project if it ends becoming a long term one as for some reason USA generates insanely good regens so the longer the story the more chances Team USA will have to become a force to be feared, also be careful of that since I noticed that is relatively common for good American regens to have dual citizenships (in my save I have three cases like that two with English citizenship and one with German) which could lead them to choose the other country over USA (those three lads instantly rejected the thought of playing with USA in my save).

I wish you good luck and I'll drop by every now and then to check how are things going ^^

.P.S.:

I assume that you're playing without the real name fix, right?
As that team is actually Union Berlin.

I know i have become a bit of a serial story maker! haha. I just keep getting bored of a save and starting a new one, but I am just going to stick with this one and the 6 tier challenge save now. Unfortunately the Carmarthen story has come to an end, as the domestic season was far to easy and have lost all motivation for it.

Thanks for the advice mate, I will be sure to keep an eye on that and hopefully they declare for Team USA.

Oh yeah my bad, I just copied and pasted the name out of the game and didn't even think! Will name them correctly in future :)

View attachment 142609
Dempsey absent through injury

View attachment 142604
3rd​ June 2015

Friedel has been forced to make 3 changes to the squad that faced Zambia back in March as Dempsey (groin strain), Zusi (strained ankle ligaments) and Altidore (bruised thigh) all miss out through injury.

The USA are set to play friendlies against Panama at Toyota Park, Brigdeview IL on the 12th​ of June before flying over to Moscow to face Russia on the 16th​.

Shea, Diskerud and Wondolowski have all been drafted into the squad to replace the injured trio. Bradley Johnson and Pulisic could also in line to make their international debuts.

U.S Roster

Goalkeepers

Tim Howard (Everton)

Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)

William Yarbrough (Leon)

Defenders

Matt Besler (Kansas)

Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach)

Michael Orozco Fiscal (Club Tijuana)

Tim Ream (Fulham)

Midfielders

Geoff Cameron (Stoke)

Bradley Johnson (Derby)

Jose Francisco Torres (Tigres)

Brek Shea (Orlando)

Mix Diskerud (NYCFC)

Strikers

Bobby Wood (Union Berlin)

Chris Wondolowski (San Jose)

12th​ June 2015

Aron Johannsson's second half brace earned USA victory over Panama in their first of two friendlies this month.

Fridel had made 8 changes to the starting lineup that beat Zambia back in March, as he opted to give other players an opportunity in what should have been a straightforward victory.

Unfortunately, few players succeeded in making a positive impression as Panama carved open the U.S defence with a slick counter-attack just before the end of the first half to give them the lead against the run of play.

However, the introduction of Johannsson on the 58th​ minute mark turned the game on its head, scoring a brace within 7 minutes of coming on.

It was far from the routine victory many had predicted before kick-off, as Fridel continues to experiment with his new squad of players.

The game also marked international debuts for both Bradley Johnson and 16-year-old Christian Pulisic. Next up is Russia in 4 days time.

Good start, neither of those two teams are actually that strong but they are quite tricky to deal with (let's remember that Zambia won the African Cup of Nations two editions ago and by beating countries like Senegal, Ghana and Ivory Coast along the way, and Panama is a regular in CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers's hexagonal and made it all the way to the last edition Gold Cup's semifinal).

Also I forgot to ask you if you have the Mexican leagues loaded by any chance. Since in the same way quite a number of American regens have Mexican citizenship, cases with of Mexican regens with American citizenship are also quite plausible (not nearly as common as Americans with Mexican citizenship... but far from being an oddity), so it's worth checking if you can strengthen your team by snatching a few of your neighbours' promising prospects every now and then.

Keep up the good work ^^

Good start, neither of those two teams are actually that strong but they are quite tricky to deal with (let's remember that Zambia won the African Cup of Nations two editions ago and by beating countries like Senegal, Ghana and Ivory Coast along the way, and Panama is a regular in CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers's hexagonal and made it all the way to the last edition Gold Cup's semifinal).

Also I forgot to ask you if you have the Mexican leagues loaded by any chance. Since in the same way quite a number of American regens have Mexican citizenship, cases with of Mexican regens with American citizenship are also quite plausible (not nearly as common as Americans with Mexican citizenship... but far from being an oddity), so it's worth checking if you can strengthen your team by snatching a few of your neighbours' promising prospects every now and then.

Keep up the good work ^^

Yeah they have both been pretty good introductory matches, to let me play around with personnel and formations etc.

I didn't have them loaded at the start, but sort of realised the number of U.S. players playing in Mexico, so have got them coming into play pretty soon. Thanks for the tip though mate, will keep my eye on it :)

View attachment 142261

Pulisic breaks record as USA triumph in Russia

View attachment 142260
View attachment 142259
16th​ June 2015

Christian Pulisic became the youngest goalscorer in U.S. history at the age of just 16 years and 271 days when he poked home the opening goal against Russia in the 15th​ minute.

It was his first international start following his debut off the bench against Panama 4 days ago, as Friedel made 10 players to his starting line up.

Despite Russia equalising moments after Pulisic’s opener, Aron Johannsson continued his good form as he bended a shot past Akinfeev just before the end of the first half.

Russia piled players forward looking for the equaliser, but the U.S. held firm and notched up another victory, to continue Friedel's 100% record.

We will now have to wait until September to see Team USA in action, when they will come up against two testing opposition in Uruguay and Japan

View attachment 142258

View attachment 141962

USA without in form striker, Johannsson for September friendlies

View attachment 141961

26th August 2015

Aron Johansson has been electric in front of goal following the appointment of Friedel at the start of the year, scoring 4 goals in his last 3 matches, but will miss out on the friendlies against Uruguay and Japan after fracturing his ribs whilst playing for Werder Bremen.

Clint Dempsey is another major absentee from the squad as he recovers from a twisted ankle. There are however returns for both Altidore and Zusi who were unavilabel for selection back in June.

Omar Gonzalez and Emerson Hyndman have both done enough to impress Friedel to earn their first call-ups in the Friedel Era.

U.S Roster

Goalkeepers

Tim Howard (Everton)

Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)

William Yarbrough (Leon)

Defenders

Matt Besler (Kansas)

Fabian Johnson (PSG)

Omar Gonzalez (Pachucha)

Tim Ream (Fulham)

Midfielders

Geoff Cameron (Stoke)

Mix Diskerud (NYCFC)

Emerson Hyndman (Fulham)

Bradley Johnson (Derby)

Graham Zusi (Kansas)

Strikers

Jozy Altidore (Toronto)

View attachment 141901
Lacklustre USA punished by late goal

View attachment 141898
View attachment 141897
2nd​ September 2015

The U.S looked short of ideas in front of goal as they failed to make the most of their superior possession on a cold, gusty evening in Montevido.

The game dragged by in the Uruguayan capital, until 87th​ minute, when Pereyra scored the only half-chance of the game to seal the win for the hosts. Although the U.S keeper, Yarbrough will have to take much of the responsibility as he failed to deal a relatively tame shot down the middle of the goal.

Friedel will now have to address a number of issues before the game against Japan as his side only managed a total of 3 shots all game, despite having 55% of possession

Match Ratings

View attachment 141188
Altidore return inspires win

View attachment 141186
View attachment 141187
8th​ September 2015

Team USA quickly got back to winning ways with a steady win over Japan in Denver in front of a less than half capacity, 34,000.

Despite the victory, the atmosphere was slightly subdued as USA struggled to find their rhythm. Jozy Altidore
smashed home a low cross from Fabian Johnson from close range to secure the victory.

Despite being head coach for just under 8 months, Friedel continued to tinker with his formation as he looks to develop a winning tactic. Today’s game saw a narrow 4-3-2-1 formation for the first time, which got the desired results but still lacked punch.

Next to come will be a friendly against Slovenia, before Friedel's first competitive match in charge against Mexico in the Confederations Cup Playoff.

View attachment 141182

(Forgot to do squad fix)

Last edited:
View attachment 141079

End of the Road for Tim Howard?

View attachment 141077
28th September 2015

Friedel has decided to leave veteran goalkeeper, Tim Howard out of his 23-man squad, in favour of DC United regular, Bill Hamid. Howard’s lack of game time for Everton may hinder his chances of adding to his 104 caps.

Geoff Cameron (sprained ankle) misses out through injury, whilst both Clint Dempsey and Aron Johannsson have returned to fitness. There could also be a debut for 24-year-old Dillon Powers, whose form for Colorado has done enough to earn him a call up.

Earlier this week Friedel announced that he would be taking charge of the USA U23’s for their Olympic campaign. The North American Qualifying stage coincides with the senior matches and he has decided to utilise Julian Green, Emerson Hyndman and DeAndre Yedlin in his U23 squad, to try and ensure USA’s place in the 2016 Olympic Games.

U.S Roster

Goalkeepers

Bill Hamid (DC United)

Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)

William Yarbrough (Leon)

Defenders

Matt Besler (Kansas)

Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest)

Fabian Johnson (PSG)

Omar Gonzalez (Pachucha)

Tim Ream (Fulham)

Midfielders

Mix Diskerud (NYCFC)

Clint Dempsey (Seattle)

Bradley Johnson (Derby)

Graham Zusi (Kansas)

Dillon Powers (Colorado)

Strikers

Jozy Altidore (Toronto)

U23 Squad

Goalkeepers: Ethan Horvath, Jon Kempin, Bernabe Magana

Defenders: Kellyn Acosta, Danny Barbir, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Matt Miazga, Will Packwood, Desevio Payne, Brandon Vincent, DeAndre Yedlin

Midfielders: Marky Delgado, Julian Green, Marlon Hairston, Emerson Hyndman, Benji Joya, Jerome Kiesewetter, Kekutah Manneh, Kenny Saief, Dillon Serna, Gedion Zelalem

Forwards: Jordan Morris, Rubio Rubin

RED = Capped at Senior Level

View attachment 141071
U23 Qualifying Group