Theo Walcott: The real deal or just overrated?

Reaction score
OK, on my Arsenal save (currently in May 2014), Theo Walcott is doing amazing. He scores for fun. I play him as a poacher in a 4-2-4 with van Persie as his strike partner most of the time. He has netted 16, 25, 26, and 34 goals respectively in the EPL since my first season, 2010-2011. He won the golden boot last season and I safely assume he is going to win it this year too. The most surprising part is that his stats aren't even all that great. His pace and acceleration are outstanding but his mentals are pretty poor for someone scoring so much. So I was just wondering if anyone else has had this much success/luck with Theo.

View attachment 139946 View attachment 139947 View attachment 139948

Last edited:
He was scoring 20+ a season for me from AMR, averaging 7.8 season on season. It's a shame the AI Arsenal barely develop him. If you focus his training on composure and a bit on finishing they rise quite a bit, and with the PPM to place shots he's amazing.

He's done well for me in my Arsenal save, most he's got for me is 12 goals from AMR position and I thought that was good - but this is insane!

I prefer him playing upfront then on the wing.
He always plays better for me up top.

I can't speak about him at club level but on my Milan save, I'm also Engand manager and he's our top scorer in the World Cup 2014 qualifiers with 4 in 5 games and that's him playing as a winger.

He's done well for me in my Arsenal save, most he's got for me is 12 goals from AMR position and I thought that was good - but this is insane!

When I played Arsenal I had my strikers as support to get my wingers as the main goal threat, so that's probably why. Every season he had a 2-3 month injury so I reckon he'd hit 30+ for me.

I'm using my Unorthodox Tactic (Link in my Sig) and he is the main AMR - usually get about 10 goals and 10 assists per season with an AVR of about 7.2

I was using a 4-5-1 with him as the target man to run onto ball, so explains it.

He is an absolute monster if you choose to utilise him though.

I'll probably see a decrease in his season stats this season as I'm using him more as an Impact Sub due to signing Tevez..

Tevez - DLF
RVP - Inside Forward - AML
Fabregas - ADV PL - AMCR
Nasri - Winger - AMR

Intenseeeee!

Pace on this game is deadly if it's in abundance, with pace like his you can zip past any defender, and no one can keep up with you so when you're one on one with the keeper you have no one trying to stop you so less reliance is needed on the composure stat.

Pace on this game is deadly if it's in abundance, with pace like his you can zip past any defender, and no one can keep up with you so when you're one on one with the keeper you have no one trying to stop you so less reliance is needed on the composure stat.
With his blinding pace he get lots of one on one , so I think composure is more needed than finishing isn't it??

And how to play him at AMR? Hug line/move in channel or even cut inside?

Just started an Arsenal save, I play a 4-5-1 with Van Persie as my loan striker (Complete Fwd), I wanna know how to get the best out of Walcott. He's my AMR currently, is it better to play him as an Inside Forward or as Winger - and if you play him as a Winger is better to have him cutting inside?

With his blinding pace he get lots of one on one , so I think composure is more needed than finishing isn't it??

And how to play him at AMR? Hug line/move in channel or even cut inside?

Inside forward so cut inside. Set target supply to run on to ball and teach him to place his shots with training focus on composure. He's not that great in the first season, but with game time and good training you can get him to 14 composure and he'll be netting 20 goals a game if you set him up to.

EDIT: @Timmsy The above will work for you too I played 4-5-1. I can PM my tactic if you want to look how I set it out.

Inside forward so cut inside. Set target supply to run on to ball and teach him to place his shots with training focus on composure. He's not that great in the first season, but with game time and good training you can get him to 14 composure and he'll be netting 20 goals a game if you set him up to.

EDIT: @Timmsy The above will work for you too I played 4-5-1. I can PM my tactic if you want to look how I set it out.

If you could mate that would be great, I just wanna see what instructions you've got for Walcott cause I've got the rest pretty much set!

Just started an Arsenal save, I play a 4-5-1 with Van Persie as my loan striker (Complete Fwd), I wanna know how to get the best out of Walcott. He's my AMR currently, is it better to play him as an Inside Forward or as Winger - and if you play him as a Winger is better to have him cutting inside?

I would say you shouldn't play Walcott at AMR cutting inside. First, his left foot or his long shots stat aren't that strong, so he won't be properly utilized at AMR. Secondly, save Jack Wilshere for AMR. He is primarily left-footed, good pace, excellent dribbler, decent long-shots, good passing and creativity. He is absolutely amazing out on that wing. Third, use Walcott in a poacher role in a 4-2-4 since he has the pace, and you can improve his finishing and mental stats with training. In addition, let Walcott feed off van Persie's creativity. RVP as a complete forward - support, will assist a lot of goals and score quite a few himself. In the second screen shot in the OP, I've used Walcott all the time in a striker role. Trust me, he is much much better there than as a AMR.

Last edited:
I played him and RVP both up front and both as poachers in first season.... he scored 29 in 35 (about 47 in all competitions) and then 16 in 22 second season (bogged down with injuries) he is lethal as a poacher.

not really had him to say to be honest, but according to a couple of freinds hes a lethal poacher, train him to round the keeper, with his pace you get penalties or he just tucks it in the empty net a lot, when the new patch is out ima do an arsenal and test this theory :)

I would say you shouldn't play Walcott at AMR cutting inside. First, his left foot or his long shots stat aren't that strong, so he won't be properly utilized at AMR. Secondly, save Jack Wilshere for AMR. He is primarily left-footed, good pace, excellent dribbler, decent long-shots, good passing and creativity. He is absolutely amazing out on that wing. Third, use Walcott in a poacher role in a 4-2-4 since he has the pace, and you can improve his finishing and mental stats with training. In addition, let Walcott feed off van Persie's creativity. RVP as a complete forward - support, will assist a lot of goals and score quite a few himself. In the second screen shot in the OP, I've used Walcott all the time in a striker role. Trust me, he is much much better there than as a AMR.

I could never get him to work as well up front, but most times I played 4-3-3, and was quite happy with his scoring rates from AMR, I found it didn't really matter that he wasn't left footed, he could easily get past the defender for a 1 on 1 and either square it for a tap in or place it in the corner. He was a machine!