TheRyanFM

Reaction score
TheRyanFM's 4-1-2-1-2 Narrow ~ Exceeding Expectations

The formation-
View attachment 340668View attachment 340667
The formation setup is a 4-1-2-1-2 but you will see later in the analysis that it can be seen as a 2-3-2-1-2 due to the width coming from the wing backs seeing them push higher up to make out for the loss of having no wingers.

Philosophy -
View attachment 340665
For this tactic I have decided to set the fluity to Rigid meaning that the players main aim is to focus on their role and not to cover for over players. Our Mentality is Control because it allows us to keep hold of the ball until we can find and opening whilst also being wary of counter attacks from our opposition.

Team Instructions -
View attachment 340664
Our first instruction is to Retain Possession, as stated above our aim is to keep the ball until we find an opening so therefore this fits in nicely with not only that philosophy but also our Mentality of Control. Our second instruction is to play in Drill Crosses this means that we play quick and powerful crosses in to try and catch the defender off guard and make the best of our openings, this also fits in well with our mentality of waiting for openings and making the best out of them. Our next instruction is Exploit The Middle the reason I have chose this is pretty obvious as this formation is set up very narrowly with only 2 wide players (our wing backs). The next one can be changed on depending on what team you are but as I am QPR (on an update in the Premier League) I thought that the sensible option would be to Drop Deeper as we are not the strongest team in the division nor the weakest. Our next instruction is to Hassle the Opponent this means we are going to try and give our opponent as little time as possible on the ball when in threatening situations, we also have the Use Tighter Marking instruction applied as this fits in well with hassling the opponents as we are sticking close to them. Finally we have a Higher Tempo set as it goes with Retaining possession and controlling matches but this is an instruction that can be changed depending on the situation in the match i.e if we are winning 2-0 I will probably Lower the tempo and possibly Drop even deeper but these changes are up to you to make depending on your match situation!

Opposition Instructions -
I leave my opposition instructions to my assistant manager Kevin Bond!

Player Instructions -
GK (Defend) - Ease off tackles (If he is in a 1 on 1 he or sweeping he will be less likely to commit a foul unless needs be!
CWBs (Attack) - Stay wider (seeing as they are the only width we have in the team it is best to make the best out of them!)
Mark Tighter (fits in with our Team Instruction of Tighter Marking)
Cross More Often (Similar to stay wider these players are our width and are up and down the pitch and are the most likely source of crosses so we need to make sure they are doing as much crossing as possible for our 2 strikers!)
Cut Inside With Ball (Also similair to the Crossing and Staying Wider instructions as wingers would we are instructing these players to cut inside so if they cannot find a cross they can then look for other options.)

RCB (Cover) - More Direct Passes (This fits in with finding the right opening as he is looking to cut the oppositions defense open if possible!)
Hold Position (As he is a covering Center Back (being deeper than our other center back, similar to a sweeper) we want him to hold hes position in being further back covering the LCB!)
Mark Tighter & Close Down More (Fit in with Tighter marking)

LCB (Defend)- Has all the same as RCB but Hold Position as he is doing a different Duty!

Regista (Support)- More Direct Passes (This fits in with finding the right opening as he is looking to cut the oppositions defense open if possible!)
Mark Tighter & Close Down More (Fit in with Tighter marking)

DLP (Support)- Roam From Position (This allows this player to move slightly out of position so he could play a one-two with the CWB so that he can extend his run!)
Mark Tighter (Fit in with Tighter marking and he is the deeper play maker so therefore more defensive!)
Run Wide with Ball (Same as roaming from position to give support to the WBs)

AP (Support) - Roam From Position (This allows this player to move slightly out of position so he could play a one-two with the CWB so that he can extend his run!)
Run Wide with Ball (Same as roaming from position to give support to the WBs)
Dribble More (Kind of like having a deeper CAM so he dribbles to get further forward and look for the Wing Backs when they're ahead/beside him!)

SS (Attack)- Run Wide with Ball (Same as roaming from position to give support to the WBs)
Dribble More (Kind of like having a deeper CAM so he dribbles to get further forward and look for the Wing Backs when they're ahead/beside him!)
Fewer Risky Passes (If our SS manages to have hold of the ball it is likely we are in a good situation so we want him to play the best balls he can and not risking giving the ball away and getting exploited on the Counter)
Move Into Channels (By moving into the channels our AM is finding space in between the oppositions defensive line!)

P (Attack)- Hold Position (Seeing as our right sided striker is a poacher we want him to be holding his position as he should always stay within the oppositions box as that is where a Poacher is most likely to score from!)
Move Into Channels (By moving into the channels our RST is finding space in between the oppositions defensive line!)

AF (Attack)-
Hold Up Ball (Seeing as this striker has more responsiblites as the Poacher he is going to hold up the ball to give the poacher as many chances as possible and find him but if not the AF will have a shot)
Move Into Channels (By moving into the channels our LST is finding space in between the oppositions defensive line!)
Roam From Position (An Advanced Forward is not going to be needed to constantly be in the box with a poacher on the field so we allow our AF to roam to support the attack.)

Set Pieces -
Corners -
View attachment 340638
I have devised a corner tactic to fit in with this formation which is aimed at the near post which will be explained in a few paragraphs!

We keep 4 players back, our wing backs as they are not likely to have much height, our DM and AMC as the DM is likely to be able to act like a CB if the opposition launch a counter attack and the AMC is usually a player that has pace and is capable of simple defensive duties.

Our AP is set to Lurk Outside Area incase the ball gets headed away by the opposition so he can have a pop and our DLP is set to attack the ball from deep to confuse opponents.

One of our strikers attacks the far post incase one of our CBs miss the pass and the other is set to Challenge Keeper or in other words mark the keeper.

Now the reason this is set to near post is because our 2 CBs (probably 2 of our most highly threatening players for heading the ball) are set to Attack Near Post and Go for the Near Post Flick On!

Free Kicks -
For free kicks our aim is to play the long ball in, we have our 2 CBs and tallest striker in the box as they are our main aerial threats!

Throw-ins -
We have throw ins set to be taken quickly.
Training -
I trained Tactics and Tactics only in pre-season but it was no where near fluid at start of season so I just switched to this setup:
View attachment 340597

Analysis -
This how our team is setup at kick-off:
View attachment 340631
From kick off it is seen as more of a 2-3-2-1-2, I have highlighted each section of our team Defenders-Midfielders-Attackers and as you can see it is more of a 2-3-2-3 formation as we have CWBs on attack!

This in 9 seconds in once our team has kicked off:
View attachment 340627
Highlighted in red are the 4 defenders, in yellow the 3 Midfielders and in white the 3 attackers. From what I can see the 2 players furthest back are both on defending duties the next 3 players are the 3 midfielders set on Support and then in front of them is our SS on attack and our 2 strikers and 2 wing backs all set on attack. So from kick off our team shape turns into you go in the zone your duty is!

After we just defended an attack:
View attachment 340626
Here our team is setup in a 4-1-2-1-2 formation with our wing backs back but ready to attack as they are higher up than the center backs but just behind our Regista, from defending the attack we then went on to score from this position!

A corner kick:
View attachment 340622
I have selected the 2 center backs: Caulker and Ferdinand who are both attacking the near post where the ball is aimed at!

Lead up to a goal:
View attachment 340618
Once again I have highlighted the Defenders in Red, Midfielders in Yellow and Attackers in White. This is the lead up to one of our goals, The 2 CBs and DM are sitting further back whilst the 2 WBs are pushing up with our DLP (Mutch) on the ball our AP and SS are close to each over so they can play the simple less risky ball and our 2 strikers are in front of the opposition defenders and are onside and are an option!

Goal Breakdown:
View attachment 340615

Stats -
Games scored in a row:
View attachment 340613

Goals Scored:
View attachment 340612

Top Goalscorer:
View attachment 340611

Results, Tables & Transfers -
View attachment 340610View attachment 340609View attachment 340608View attachment 340607View attachment 340606View attachment 340605View attachment 340604View attachment 340603View attachment 340602View attachment 340601View attachment 340600View attachment 340599

Proof no editor used and amount of times saved (auto-saved) -
View attachment 340598

Download Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j6wf33sw629sgbs/Ryan+Gooding+4-1-2-1-2+Narrow.tac

I love this formation, but isn´t it kind of vulnerable at the back? I mean only regista (who is quite offensive) is protecting the back 4.

Will use this in my United save I plan to do. (Along with Danilo's high pressing and Bangdad cowboy - similar formations)

I love this formation, but isn´t it kind of vulnerable at the back? I mean only regista (who is quite offensive) is protecting the back 4.
We have conceded quite a lot of goals but at the end of the day we are getting results and we are far from having the best team in the league, I'm QPR if I was City and conceded that many I would be rather concerned but not so much with QPR!

I've played two games with this so far, the first was a 4-3 defeat to Leicester, I was 3-1 up at half time but in the last ten minutes they were awarded a penalty and they adopted some amazing strategy which they literally kicked the ball around and my players could not get it at all so they eventually broke my defence down and scored 3 in ten minutes. The 2nd was a 3-0 victory away at Swansea. The Leicester defeat was probably me underestimating them.

I've played two games with this so far, the first was a 4-3 defeat to Leicester, I was 3-1 up at half time but in the last ten minutes they were awarded a penalty and they adopted some amazing strategy which they literally kicked the ball around and my players could not get it at all so they eventually broke my defence down and scored 3 in ten minutes. The 2nd was a 3-0 victory away at Swansea. The Leicester defeat was probably me underestimating them.
You could drop even deeper and lower tempo if you have a narrow lead with 20 odd mins left, could prevent opposition scoring.