"They called it Financial Fair Play, son, and it changed football forever"

Reaction score
MikelArteta_1486554a.jpg

Sheikh Mansour looked on.

From the moment Mikel Arteta scored his goal he realised what he needed to do. Financial Fair play regulations were coming in.

He looked at Mancini, at Balotelli, and he thought of how he could fix this problem. Then his eyes turned to Arsene Wenger, celebrating his sides victory by hugging Robin Van Persie.

"Yes," thought the Sheikh, "I think I have a solution"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Match-Of-The-Day-006.jpg

"...and that concludes Match of the day at the end of another great season" said Gary Lineker. "What are your thoughts, guys?"

"I think, that if this season shows us anything, " began Alan Hansen, "It's that no matter how much money you have, you need a world class manager to back it all up. We saw City falter from an unassailable position at the top to third place whilst Alex Ferguson, the wily old master, won the title yet again. Probably his greatest victory ever. In addition to this, Chelsea finished outside the top four at the expense of Newcastle, oh and what a story that is, but they might not fare so well next season now that Alan Pardew's gone off to England. And QPR finished 19th whilst their fellow promoted counterparts finished in the top half of the table!"

"I agree," replied Lee Dixon. "Arsene Wenger somehow steered the worst Arsenal side, certainly of his tenure, to second place. Extraordinary. I put them as title contenders next season, now that Robin Van Persie's agreed a new contract."

"And with financial fair play coming in next season," said Mark Lawrenson, "City have it all to do. They need a world class Manager and they need him now."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pundits were right, thought Sheikh Mansour. Mancini wasn't good enough.

What they needed, was a Wenger, with his remarkable experience of managing a cohesive unit. But he would never leave Arsenal in a million years, especially after this season.

They needed a Guardiola, who was capable of managing a team of stars. But why would he leave a team who had just won the treble?

They needed a Mourinho, who had handled a team of primadonnas at Chelsea, at Inter Milan, and at Madrid. But why would he leave a Real Madrid team whose fans hated him, who would leave a team who had just lost the league, who would... who would... who...

Sheikh Mansour had a phone call to make.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will use a 2012-2013 database I've quickly made for this story, which looks at how Jose Mourinho can manage a club without spending huge amounts of cash. No changes to teams but transfer budgets for the main leagues have been altered to reflect it. Also, ofc, various promotions and relegations for the big six leagues (England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Portugal).

Good start will follow also loving the title!

This story is so horrible to look at as a City fan, both Financial Fair Play AND Arteta!? :(

Anyway, best of luck, I really like the title..

"Manchester City are an exceptional club who are on the verge of challenging for many trophies, " began Mourinho, bullishly, "So, naturally, I jumped at the chance to join them"

"But José," asked Jonathan Pearson, of Sky Sports, "Surely this means you can't ever succeed Fergie for the biggest job in world football?"

"This is the biggest job in world football," replied Mourinho cooly, "And I will be thoroughly disappointed if we end the season without winning the Premier League or the Champions League. Preferably both. Did they tell you I've already won each of those?"

Wenger boosted by Fair Play News

Arsene_Wenger_6.jpg

"Ok, time to reveal our secret," said Arsene Wenger, "We've been planning for this."

"Of course we couldn't compete with the biggest clubs in world football. We've known this for a while. That's why we built this stadium, to provide us with a large amount of revenue to compete in the future. And now that clubs cannot simply throw more money onto the bonfire that is world football when their midfielder is injured for two weeks, you'll start to see a fairer game emerge."

Arsene Wenger certainly looked happier than he had been for many years.

"When you look at our accounts, you can see that every year, we've paid off £100m of debt every single year. Now that debt is paid off, we have a large amount of money to spend improving the squad every year. And unlike at other clubs, this will comply with Fifa's new financial fair play rules."

"I thank the fans of this great football club for keeping faith over the past few years. We look forward to next season, which we will mark as the first year of the new Arsenal."​

Uefa detail Financial Fair Play Rules

uefa_champions_league_420.jpg
"All clubs wishing to participate in European Competition for the 2013/14 season must comply with the rules set out as per our 'Financial Fair Play' recommendations for 2012/13, which includes but is not limited to the club in question running at a profit. A club's ability to maintain the 'Financial Fair Play' rules will be judged by a UEFA sanctioned Financial Inspector. Failure to adhere to these rules will result in a ban, the length of which decided by UEFA, from European Competition for the club in question"

In short, these rules mean that any club that wants to be in Europe next year must now be making a profit. This is terrible news for fans of clubs such as Manchester City, who will either have to perform a firesale, drastically cut the wage bill, or possibly both.

New Manager José Mourinho certainly has a task on his hands.

Untitled-1_2165168b.jpg

Wenger signals Intent

article-1327985-0BE690C9000005DC-860_306x423.jpg

Arsene Wenger has followed up on his promise of new signings at Arsenal by making a £15m bid for talented Athletic Bilbao player Iker Muniain.

"He is a player of real quality," said Wenger in a press conference today, "And he could really make a difference in the attacking qualities of our side."

Arsene Wenger is also expected to make bids for Belgium and Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen, Rennes Midfield General Yann M'Vila, and Wayne Hennesey of recently relegated Wolves, as a backup to young star Wojciech Szczesny.

Liverpool-Enter-Yann-MVila-Race.jpg

I spelt Wojciech Szczensy without googling. Yes :D

Thanks guys, really, really appreciate the feedback, it motivates me to keep going :D

Any chance you would uplad the database or is it already up? Just started as Newcastle but would love to be able to do it with this database.
I like the idea of this story. Is very unusual. I don't think it's ever been done so is very original. I'm not on very often but when I am I'll make sure to follow this.

The database is kind of messed up, mate. It won't work properly for some reason. It's adequate enough to allow me to maintain Arsenal and Man City but the game runs very slow at times.

I'll be doing some work on it, though, so if I get some spare time I'll upload a good one soon :)

FM 12.2 is fun to play with Newcastle, much improved on the original, shipped database!