Reaction score
View attachment 962094
Thierry Henry steps into management

View attachment 220983

After retiring as a player in December 2014, Henry decided to become a pundit at SkySports from the start of 2015. Henry announced today that he is stepping into management and will immediately be looking for a job.
Rumours are already saying that he'll replace Arsene Wenger at the head of Arsenal who in the past few seasons has failed to really impress Arsenal fans but so far the move seems unlikely. Henry is the all-time top goalscorer for the North London club and will be looking to one day maybe managing them unless Wenger stays even longer. At 38 years of age, Henry has got a lot of time to develop as a manager and football fans around the world have said that they were curious about which club he would sign for first.

"Thierry, there you are back at SkySports for this interview but this time not as a pundit. You've announced you are becoming a manager and it's attracted a lot of attention from fans around the world who are very curious about which club you'll join first. Do you have any ideas yet?" Curtis Jones - BBC Sport

"If I'm honest, I haven't really thought of any of that yet. I just wanted to become a manager and there I am doing that today. I would really love to one day become like Arsene and manage Arsenal and hopefully do as well as he's doing because it's truly remarkable. I haven't gotten any job offers as of now so I'm not signing for anyone yet but who knows what the future holds."

"Many people are suggesting that you're not ready for management yet and that you should waited a bit longer before deciding to step into a world which is very different from the football player world. What do you have to say to that?" Charlie Smith - The Daily Mail

"Maybe they're right, maybe I'm not ready but I won't know that until I start managing with an actual club. I get why some people might be wondering why I changed my mind so quickly but when I see the likes of Zinedine Zidane already trying to get into management and there are other big players who are becoming managers it made me want to give it a go and I'm very happy that now this has come true I worked hard to get the licenses necessary to be a professional manager and now I'm just hoping I get good job offers for the future."

A choice to make

View attachment 220981

"Hello Arsène. Listen, I need your advice about a couple of things as I'm not quite sure what to do first or where to go. This is the first time I can say I'm a manager and that thought kind of scares me"

"No worries Thierry. What I can already tell you for sure is that this is not going to be easy. When I started at Nancy in 1984, nobody really knew who I was. I finished 12th in my first season and no one thought I was that great then. You're going to have to work very hard and it doesn't necessarily have to be with just one club. I'm very lucky that Arsenal wanted to sign me back in 1996 and I'm still here today."

"I know it will be hard but I'm just not sure where I want to start. France? It's my home country and I would obviously have a good relationship with the players. England? I'm very popular there and maybe a couple of clubs would want me. Germany? I don't really see that happening. I'm a bit stressed out about this and maybe I didn't make the right decision by stepping into management so soon."

"As I said, you're lucky enough to already have a great reputation in the footballing world. Take that to you advantage but make sure to not start too high. Starting your career with Bayern Munich for example is bound to get you sacked. Not that I doubt your abilities as a manager but starting with those big clubs is always very hard due to the expectations that the board and fans have of you. Start small and work your way up, it's the best way to go."

"Thank you Arsène, I'm feeling a bit better about all this now and I'll let you know if I get any job offers that interest me. All the best with Arsenal this season I hope you do well. See you later."

View attachment 220975

My conversation with Arsène really did help me out and I'm confident going forward now. I've still got no idea who will want me as their next manager but I think I'll be able to do well wherever it is, I believe in my abilities. Let's be patient now and see what comes in.

Throwback to 1994

"Arsène, it's Thierry. I've made my decision."

"Who are you signing for then? I hope you took into consideration what I told you."

"I most definitely did, and you know what it's actually a club we both know very well."

"I'm not sure I follow, we were never on the same team except at Arsenal when you were a player and I was a manager."

"That's the thing, you left as a manager right when I came through the academy and started playing for the first team. Remember the team you managed until 1994? Right after Nancy? I played there for 5 years before joining Juventus?"

"Are we thinking of the same club here?"

"Yes Arsène, we are. AS Monaco approached me and I've agreed to become their manager for the next 3 years!"

"That's a great choice, good job Thierry I'm very proud of you and I wish you all the best."

View attachment 220928

AS Monaco throw back the years and appoint Thierry Henry as manager until June 2018

View attachment 220927Henry during his first press conference as Monaco manager​

Les Monégasques looked back in time to appoint their new manager when a certain Thierry Henry made his professional debut against Nice on the 31st of August 1994. The French striker went on to play 105 games for the Monaco-based club and scored 20 goals before moving to Juventus for a year which preceded his move to Arsenal in 1999 where he would stay until 2007 and become the London club's all time top goalscorer.

This is Henry's first ever job as a manager and to be able to come back to a club which he loved so much as a player will be a great opportunity for him to adapt and get comfortable.
Monaco were left without a head coach since they sacked Leonardo Jardim just a month after the summer transfer window and they'll be hoping that their prodigy from years ago will now reiterate but on the sideline as a manager.

Henry's first game will come against Guingamp in 2 weeks on the 17th of October which gives him a lot of time to get his team ready as he'll try to get them to Champions League places. Monaco are currently in 9th place in Ligue 1 with their top performer being Brazilian right back Fabinho.

Henry meets the media for the first time at Stade Louis II

View attachment 220916

"Thierry, welcome back to Monaco. You must be ecstatic at the idea of coming back to the club that pretty much launched a very successful career for you as a player?" Antoine Dubois - L'Équipe

"It's an absolute honour indeed. I wasn't sure who would approach me when I decided to step into the management game but I'm so glad I did now. Monaco are a club who are very close to my heart and it's going to make my whole adaptation to the managerial life even easier. Obviously the club has changed drastically since I left in 1999 but it's still a club I'm very familiar with and I'll make sure to enjoy every single minute spent here."

"Monaco have had quite a big project for a while now, since the arrival of Rybolovlev in 2011 to be exact. No manager has been able to do as well as the club president wanted them to so far. Are you confident that you're the man for the job and that you'll take Monaco to a Ligue 1 title maybe even a Champions League title in the future?" Pierre Leroy - FranceFootball

"A Ligue 1 title is certainly achievable for this club. The squad I have today is incredibly talented and I'm very confident going forward. Previous managers have brought in a lot of really great youngsters and I definitely want to keep that philosophy going at Monaco and keep them at the top in terms of the best youth academies in France. I do believe that I can bring success to the club, maybe not immediately but with a bit of time if the club gives me a chance I'm confident I can get them a lot of silverware. The Champions League trophy is still a very long away while there are teams as strong as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and PSG in the competition but in time I think it is quite realistic to aim for that."

i think there are 2 more threads like this.
o.png

Great start :) Will be watching this story! love the writing!

thanks so much I'll be sure to update it regularly! if you like the writing my Alan Shearer save is quite similar if you're interested haha :) thanks again!

As a United fan Henry was always one of our biggest rivals - although I do have a lot of respect for him as a player. Definitely following this story!

As a United fan Henry was always one of our biggest rivals - although I do have a lot of respect for him as a player. Definitely following this story!

hahhaha i support tottenham so i know how you feel. but he's also one of my favourite players and i just felt like it would be a really cool story. glad to hear you're gonna follow mine :)

hahhaha i support tottenham so i know how you feel. but he's also one of my favourite players and i just felt like it would be a really cool story. glad to hear you're gonna follow mine :)

I don't think the Irish agree with us though! ;)

View attachment 220779
Match preview: Marseille vs Monaco

View attachment 220778

Thierry Henry faces Marseille as he prepares for his biggest game as a manager

AS Monaco won 8 games in a row in Ligue 1 before drawing in their last game and are in 1st place just a point above their biggest rivals Paris Saint-Germain. Marseille are just in third and will be looking to overtake both Monaco and PSG if they win at the Stade Louis II tonight.

View attachment 220777

View attachment 220776View attachment 220775
Monaco's last game came against Sochaux where they drew 1-1 which was undoubtedly their worst game under Thierry Henry and they'll be hoping to rectify that today against Marseille who are close on their tail. The 4-5-1 formation seems quite solid for les Monégasques however this will be the first time they're using it and they'll be hoping that Henry didn't make a mistake by doing that.

Marseille will be using the same formation they've been using for quite a while now. Their 4-2-3-1 has been solid in the league but their last game against Porto wasn't as successful as they lost 2-1 at home. With Batshuayi unavailable, Marseille will be hoping that their back-up striker can find the net to replace the Belgian.

Sone Aluko (Marseille) and Fabinho (Monaco) will be the two players to watch for this game and both respective sides will be hoping for a performance from their side.

The game is now about to start and both managers have said they are looking for a win and they'll only take a win as the result so we're bound to see a very exciting game coming up right now as Marseille kicks off the game at the Stade Louis II.

View attachment 220770
Live coverage:

"Hello and welcome to this live coverage of the game between Marseille and AS Monaco, my name is John Smith and my colleague Michael Williams. Now this is surely going to be an interesting game isn't it? Thierry Henry on the sideline for so far well the biggest game of his life as a manager right?"

"Yes that's right and I think it's really going to be a fabulous game to watch both teams are on tremendous form and it wouldn't surprise me if the game ended as a 0-0 draw or if any team edged it just 1-0."

"For sure especially considering Monaco's last couple of games have actually ended 1-0 I mean we haven't really seen big victories from the Monégasques yet so I'll be interested to see how well they'll do against their toughest opponent yet."

1'
"And there we go Carrillo and Toulalan get us underway here in Monaco with the first pass of the game to Lindsay Rose in the defence."

6' "Six minutes in now and Bernardo Silva looks like he's taken a knock but Henry tells him to play on and the game is still going I think."

10' "We're just over 10 minutes in now and just 1 shot from Monaco as they keep 75% of the possession. Marseille are kind of laying back maybe waiting for a counter attack opportunity."

11' "Oh and just as we were talking Carrillo goes past a couple of Marseille defenders but Lassana Diarra takes him down and the referee is going to give him a yellow card, first booking of the game."

24' "Yet another foul from Marseille as Dja Djédjé tackles Guerreiro around 30 yards away from the goal."

25' "Bernardo Silva steps up to take the free kick, he puts the ball into the box and oh what an opportunity for Monaco! Arnautovic volleys it from the penalty spot and Mandanda produces an amazing save to keep Marseille into the game but wait none of the defenders are clearing the ball and here comes the left-back Raphaël Guerreiro!! GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!! Mandanda was still on the floor after his magnificent save but the Monaco left-back comes in and taps in the rebound, it's 1-0 to the hosts!"

"We saw it a long time coming this goal Monaco have been completely dominating so far and they get a very deserved lead in this game let's see how the rest of the half turns out as the Monaco players are celebrating here. Great goal from the hosts!"

25' Monaco 1-0 Marseille (Raphaël Guerreiro)

30' "Just 5 minutes after Monaco's goal and here comes a corner for Marseille as Barrada whips it in. Oh and look who's at the end of it it's Alessandrini who hits a powerful header to the opposite side of the goal and the goalkeeper Subasic doesn't see it coming! It's 1-1 already!!"

30' Monaco 1-1 Marseille (Romain Alessandrini)

36' "Another corner for Marseille who are looking more dangerous now for sure as Barrada whips it in again, it rolls on the floor the penalty spot and no defenders on it and it's another goal!!! Marseille with an incredible come back from 1-0 down to 2-1 up in just 9 minutes what an incredible game!!! It's the Portuguese centre-back Rolando who scores his 3rd of the season!!"

36' Monaco 1-2 Marseille (Rolando)

37' "And it's 3 now!!! Monaco had a counter attack and fail to keep the ball as Aluko gives it to Alessandrini on the wing who puts in a cross and Lucas Ocampos is there to volley it with his left, Subasic once again absolutely nowhere to be seen and Marseille are cruising!!"

37' Monaco 1-3 Marseille (Lucas Ocampos)

HT' "And here comes the half-time whistle as the Marseille players get together to congratulate each other on an amazing comeback and the Monaco goalkeeper apologises to his teammates, he really should have done better this half. Monaco with 8 shots to Marseille's 6 whilst Monaco also keep most of the possession with 57% and a pass accuracy of 81%."

"Yes the Monaco players will really be kicking themselves today they got complacent and conceded 3 goals in just 12 minutes I mean that's a disgrace and I'm sure Henry will not be happy at all during the half-time team talk. Let's hope for them they can do better during the second half coming up live on BeinSports stay tuned for that."

46' "Hello and welcome to this second half of the clash between Marseille and Monaco now Marseille have got a superb start to this game will they keep the 3 points today John?"

"Nothing clearer on my mind Michael I mean even by looking at the stats you can just see that Marseille have been taking their chances whilst Monaco have been wasting every opportunity they got. I don't know what kind of team talk they got from Thierry Henry but it probably wasn't great so let's see if they can turn it around and get a draw in front of their home fans maybe. Oh no wait I can't believe it Marseille have actually scored ANOTHER goal as Aluko makes it 4-1 straight from the kick-off and Ocampos' cross is inch perfect for the Nigerian striker, Monaco have got A LOT of work to do now."

46' Monaco 1-4 Marseille (Sone Aluko)

48' "Oh and there you go now that's what you call a response!! Guido Carrillo came off at half-time and Radamel Falcao replaced him as the Colombian striker slots one home just 3 minutes after coming on from a great cross by Marko Arnautovic! Second goal of the season for him in just 2 games after coming back from injury! A comeback for Monaco now maybe?"

48' Monaco 2-4 Marseille (Radamel Falcao)

70' "Very close there for Marseille as Monaco lose the ball in midfield and Ocampos runs down the wing before putting in a cross for Aluko but it was a bit too hard and Subasic just about kicks it out with his feet. Monaco can count themselves very lucky there they're going to have to do much better in the next couple of minutes to get a result."

90+1' "Corner for Monaco, the first piece of action we've had in quite a while and Cavaleiro is going to whip this one in. He ends up passing it short inside the box to Arnautovic who makes a short cross towards Falcao and oh what a miss!! The Colombian heads it but is denied by the post and oh wait he gets to the rebound and scores!!! Falcao picks up the ball and runs to the kick-off spot and Monaco come back 3-4!! What a game!! Falcao has made a huge impact since coming on, what a player he is but will it be enough, will Monaco get an equaliser?"

90+1' Monaco 3-4 Marseille (Radamel Falcao x2)

90+4' "And that's full time! Unfortunately for Monaco, Marseille had a period of magic which lasted 7 minutes and scored 3 goals. Monaco were close at the end but Falcao's brace ends up being worthless. First big game for Thierry Henry and second loss of the season, he'll be hoping that his team gets back on their feet for their next game. Monaco did have most of the possession and the shots but this result proves that stats aren't always reflective of the results. Marseille go top of Ligue 1 and Monaco drop to second before PSG play later today which means they could drop down to third if the French champions win against FC Nantes, currently 4th.

"We'd like to thank you very much for being with us today for the Match of the Day here in France, it's certainly been a thrilling encounter here in Monaco and until next time, this is Michael Williams and John Smith of beinSports, byebye!"

FT Monaco 3 (Guerreiro, Falcao x2) - 4 Marseille (Alessandrini, Rolando, Ocampos, Aluko)

Post-match press conference (Monaco 3-4 Marseille)

"Thierry, obviously a disappointing defeat to a Marseille team who did very well against you today. Are there any positives to take from this game?" -
Alexandre Cartier (L'Équipe)

"Well obviously the players and myself are both quite saddened by the result given that we really dominated them throughout the game but you know sometimes football is all about luck and what you can get out of an opponent in just one instant and credit to Míchel and his side they did just that against us today. I can take a lot of positives for sure I mean the first one being that we didn't give up and managed to get 2 goals back to make the defeat look less bad which shows great character from the players and it's also one of our highest scoring games since my arrival so I can definitely see improvement in our game and the change of formation towards the last 10 minutes really paid off so I'm happy about that. On the defensive front we'll obviously have to be careful but you know now I think is all about the next game and how we can do against Nice in the Coupe de la Ligue and then against Montpellier in the league before we get a well deserved winter break so I'm excited"

"Just one last question for you as we know that you've probably got a couple of things to do now but will there be any arrivals for Monaco during the January transfer window as it is fast approaching now?" - Louis Moreau (Le Parisien)

"I'm not going to say much about the transfer window for now but what I can say is that we've got the funds available and the board supports me with whatever decision I'll decide to make. For now I'm happy with the squad and the last 2 games before the winter break will really tell me if there are any areas which need improvement and depending on my observations we might sign a player or two. Arrivals are as likely as departures at this point. Thank you very much for all your questions and I'll see you next time."

Last edited:

View attachment 220545

View attachment 220546
Thierry Henry enjoying successful start at AS Monaco

The ex-French international has enjoyed a good start to his Monaco career as a manager, winning 13, drawing one and losing 2. Henry has also managed to get his side to score 43 goals in those 16 games, only conceding 13.

Under Henry, les Monégasques also went from 10th to 2nd place in the league, level on points with Marseille but only behind due to their head-to-head defeat against les Marseillais 4-3 back in December. Pundits are now wondering whether or not the Arsenal legend will be able to keep this up or if his side will crumble as they prepare to face both Lyon and PSG in the space of 4 days later this month.

View attachment 220543

Rio Ferdinand: "If you ask me, Henry hasn't been in management long enough for us to actually make good enough of a judgment on his current form. The results that Monaco have been getting lately are good but you've also got to look at the teams they've been facing. No disrespect to any of those teams obviously but they're clearly a mile off PSG and Lyon in terms of quality."

Ian Wright: "I agree I mean so far Monaco have been somewhat blessed in terms of the teams they've been playing against and now that the big boy teams are getting closer and closer I'm wondering whether or not they'll actually manage to keep their form up."

Steven Gerrard: "I've actually been quite impressed with the way they've been playing. Even just looking at the stats, 43 goals scored in just 16 games is incredible that's just a bit more than 2 goals a game which is title contender form up front so I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top 2 towards the end of the season maybe even ****** the title from Paris Saint-Germain who for the past 2 or 3 seasons really have been dominating in France. Give Thierry the right amount of time and he'll be doing wonders in Monaco, no doubt about it."

Calling an old friend for advice

View attachment 220542
"Hello Jamie? It's Thierry. Look I need your honest opinion on our current form right now. I know the media has been doubting the way that I've been managing the club with a couple of player outbursts now and again but do you think I'm doing well? In terms of man management I mean you were the Liverpool captain for so long, surely you know how to help me right?"

"You finally decided to call! I was wondering if you would ever miss me. Look, if there's one piece of advice I can give you it's to never trust the press or what pundits say too much. As a pundit myself (or manager in the xJamieWilliams save ;) ), I know that sometimes people say certain things just to put pressure on managers or get a reaction out of them. I know that Rio, Ian and Steven are all very impressed with your work and so am I, keep it up Thierry. Man management is not an issue, the players will get used to your ways at some point one way or another."

"That makes me feel a bit better, I was really scared that the board would sack me just because of man management! Also, I've got something to ask you regarding transfers. Obviously we've made a couple of bargains already and made one big money signing but do you think resigning Stephan from AC Milan will be a good idea? He did so well on loan here last season, I'm sure he'd love to come back don't you think? I'm looking to offload some wingers anyway and I really think that bringing in El Shaarawy would be a great thing for the club."

"That sounds great indeed. Bringing him back will get the fans excited, he's only 23 and has got a lot of pace on him. He's been doing well with Milan and ultimately it's your choice Thierry but I think he would probably be a good signing. I don't really see the Milan manager wanting to sell him though, what's his name, oh yeah Luciano Spalletti."

"I'll see what I can do about that, thank you so much Jamie. You really helped me out. I hope to see you soon, best of luck for the future!"

View attachment 220541Transfer update

ASMonacoTV would like to welcome our new signings, Jose Enrique, Martin Odegaard, Ramiro Funes Mori, Malcom and Roberto Pereyra!

View attachment 220540

However, we are deeply saddened by the departures of Lacina Traoré, Milan Badelj, Edgar Salli and Ragnar Klavan and we wish them the best for the future with their new clubs.

View attachment 220539

British pundits seem to be surprisingly interested in the French league... :p

British pundits seem to be surprisingly interested in the French league... :p

hahhaha yeah i know french pundits are just not that popular so i figured maybe british pundits would be interested in henry :3