Things I would like to see changed for FM2017

RuiBenfica80

Reaction score
I thought it could be a good idea to get this out. So that when the beta tests start maybe people can have a look and start talking about stuff which should be checked or improved.

Main things for me are:

1. Red cards and Yellow cards....
Please ohhh please check this before releasing the game. Myself I have waited till the game gets on discount because I refuse to buy the last versions as soon as I see people spotting these simple problems....

2. Injuries
Same as above....my most recent experience has been 6 injured players with injuries over 3 months on a 22 player squad. I kind of like to have a bit more injuries then in real life. I think its fun to have some kind of increase factor. But please make these injuries a lot more short term ones. That could make it fun and make for some squad rotation. Long term injuries kill a player development and force us to find a permanent replacement. Also they do not happen that often in real life.....seriously....

3. Tone down the whole morale, news and talks part of the game.
I am not sure about everyone else but for me this is a part of the game which is not fun at all.
It could be interesting to have the occasional talk with opposing managers like for instance fm2008. But its not fun and far from realistic to have a single player unsettle the whole squad. Its also not fun to have these crazy morale runs where any team can suddenly start loosing points on 3 or 4 games in a row. It can happen in real life but it does not happen ALWAYS. In real life most teams are able to deal with the occasional bad game and able to come on top on their next one. And if a fringe player comes to the tv trying to insult his manager.....his playing career is over.

4. Scouts and Transfers
Again I don't know how others feel about this.
But I get the feeling the current model brakes the game specially for lower league teams.
The current model focus too much on Player Potential and this is unrealistic and it generates a broken transfer market for lower leagues.
The AI is being obsessed with Potential and often ignoring the actual performance from the players. As example I have seen an 18 year old crush all statistics on sky bet league 2.....and not a single higher league team ever got interested on him. When in reality, the best players on a lower league usually move up to higher leagues next season.
My proposed solution is that AI should once more buy a lot more based on current performance. Ok, we can have the occasional manager or club which will try to find potential but most will value players who perform out there on the pitch.
Also, AI should not know so well the player potential. I understand this was changed to improve scouting for human players. But it brakes the game a bit for me. Those players who want it easy can still use the editor or FMscout to see the true potential. Scouting should always be a very unsure thing......like it is in real life.
In this way, we would get back the possibility of finding and signing gems among lower league teams. Players that no one found out yet or players whose career did not kick start yet. I get the feeling this is not happening nearly as much now and its a fun thing to have around. It also generates the possibility that we may find a gem on a lower league team and sell him well to higher divisions.....therefore generating some necessary extra income which is sorely needed on lower leagues.

I agree with you on the transfers and Cards, and I hope those thighs are being looked at.

Can't agree with you on the Injuries though since you're talking about a 22 man squad. I think you're crazy expecting a 22 man squad to get through a season considering the average injury list in a premier league club is 5-6 players. In my experience, most people ignore the obvious clues (poor fitness, low conditioning, setting tackling to hard when they're match fit, ect) that are contributing to injuries.

I agree with you on the transfers and Cards, and I hope those thighs are being looked at.

Can't agree with you on the Injuries though since you're talking about a 22 man squad. I think you're crazy expecting a 22 man squad to get through a season considering the average injury list in a premier league club is 5-6 players. In my experience, most people ignore the obvious clues (poor fitness, low conditioning, setting tackling to hard when they're match fit, ect) that are contributing to injuries.

I am not so sure yet about the injuries.
It may well be that I am demanding too much on my players. This is possible. I don't give them rests besides whatever is automatically defined.
I do take care never to play people who are less than 90% and I always use my substitutions given that 2 players will only play half time. In this way I promote some squad rotation.
I tend to notice that I have players who go through a whole season without any issues, even through 2 seasons.
Then, out of the blue, I get these kind of injury epidemics that I cant understand where they come from.

Its like....at the moment I had 8 injured, now its slowly going down to 6 with 2 of them getting back in a couple days and this is still early November. Then, its entirely possible I will have no more then 1 or 2 players injured for the rest of the season. So for some reason my problem was specific with October.

Also, I have to say I have no knowledge on the premier league as for the number of injuries.
I do know that for the Portuguese premier league, 8 players injured at a time is something I don't ever remember at Benfica......and Benfica played last season both champions league and local cups to their later stages.

Last edited:
I am not so sure yet about the injuries.
It may well be that I am demanding too much on my players. This is possible. I don't give them rests besides whatever is automatically defined.
I do take care never to play people who are less than 90% and I always use my substitutions given that 2 players will only play half time. In this way I promote some squad rotation.
I tend to notice that I have players who go through a whole season without any issues, even through 2 seasons.
Then, out of the blue, I get these kind of injury epidemics that I cant understand where they come from.

Its like....at the moment I had 8 injured, now its slowly going down to 6 with 2 of them getting back in a couple days and this is still early November. Then, its entirely possible I will have no more then 1 or 2 players injured for the rest of the season. So for some reason my problem was specific with October.

Also, I have to say I have no knowledge on the premier league as for the number of injuries.
I do know that for the Portuguese premier league, 8 players injured at a time is something I don't ever remember at Benfica......and Benfica played last season both champions league and local cups to their later stages.

True, Benfica do benefit form a nicely spaced out domestic fixture schedule; something the premier league dosn't so the injuries int eh game might reflect that accurately but not reflect the Portuguese league well. They did some work on injuries in the last game so I'm sure it's still being look at :)

4. Scouts and Transfers
Again I don't know how others feel about this.
But I get the feeling the current model brakes the game specially for lower league teams.
The current model focus too much on Player Potential and this is unrealistic and it generates a broken transfer market for lower leagues.
The AI is being obsessed with Potential and often ignoring the actual performance from the players. As example I have seen an 18 year old crush all statistics on sky bet league 2.....and not a single higher league team ever got interested on him. When in reality, the best players on a lower league usually move up to higher leagues next season.
My proposed solution is that AI should once more buy a lot more based on current performance. Ok, we can have the occasional manager or club which will try to find potential but most will value players who perform out there on the pitch.
Also, AI should not know so well the player potential. I understand this was changed to improve scouting for human players. But it brakes the game a bit for me. Those players who want it easy can still use the editor or FMscout to see the true potential. Scouting should always be a very unsure thing......like it is in real life.
In this way, we would get back the possibility of finding and signing gems among lower league teams. Players that no one found out yet or players whose career did not kick start yet. I get the feeling this is not happening nearly as much now and its a fun thing to have around. It also generates the possibility that we may find a gem on a lower league team and sell him well to higher divisions.....therefore generating some necessary extra income which is sorely needed on lower leagues.

I've been saying this for years now, AI will only go for a player who's value (usually as you say based on potential) and not performances. I've had strikers banging goals in for fun and not had any interest in them but youth players who have played hardly any first team football with high potential have had lots of interest. I tend to sell more of my youth players over first teamers.

I've been saying this for years now, AI will only go for a player who's value (usually as you say based on potential) and not performances. I've had strikers banging goals in for fun and not had any interest in them but youth players who have played hardly any first team football with high potential have had lots of interest. I tend to sell more of my youth players over first teamers.

Yes, this!!!!!

At Benfica, I had Samaris and Renato Sanches playing in midfield and playing consistently.
Yet....who did PSG want to buy.....Fejsa who was barely playing and even has some injury issues. Come on....I would understand if PSG did not have the money to come after my first team players. But they actually have the money and decided to buy me my 2nd choice for a good money.
I obviously did not complain and did the sale....but on my head it was so stupid.....

This programing actually cripples the AI teams making them often spend loads of money on players who never really perform like their abilities. And leaves good human players fully able to exploit players with great physical attributes or some very good attribute combination for specific roles or positions. A good human can run circles around the AI just because of this dumb logic.

And for me the biggest issue is for LLM. Because if you want to make money you actually have to play the occasional player which does not suit your tactics....but you know because of the 5 star potential that other clubs may see the same and give you some money maybe.....

True, Benfica do benefit form a nicely spaced out domestic fixture schedule; something the premier league dosn't so the injuries int eh game might reflect that accurately but not reflect the Portuguese league well. They did some work on injuries in the last game so I'm sure it's still being look at :)

You know what is really funny...

From the 8 injuries I was complaining about on my save in England.....most were not from 1st team players who were playing a lot of games loool.
Actually the 2 strikers who got injured were the 2nd choices....
Then both right mids got injured which is not possible that both of them were playing too much as that would be exclusive.

This actually allowed me to go through this injury season without calling any U21 player...I solved the issue just adapting 1st team players around. Like playing my ML at DL, playing my DR at MR, moving one DC to DR....and using a DC as occasional striker lool And I could still keep at the top because this kind of generated a lot of tactical nuance and surprise for my adversaries lol

I agree with the cards: there are too few cards given. I never feel any worry about them, even if I often take one of the few booked players to avoid the second, it's more a custom from FM11 when cards were more realistic that something that actually worries me anymore.

Yes, this!!!!!

And for me the biggest issue is for LLM. Because if you want to make money you actually have to play the occasional player which does not suit your tactics....but you know because of the 5 star potential that other clubs may see the same and give you some money maybe.....

Agree with this, any time I have a decent star potential player on my LLM saves, if I play him just once I tend to see some interest from other 'bigger' clubs. As mostly I am a semi pro team the player leaves for free anyway but I geuss when a pro club you'll get some money for them.

I agree with the cards: there are too few cards given. I never feel any worry about them, even if I often take one of the few booked players to avoid the second, it's more a custom from FM11 when cards were more realistic that something that actually worries me anymore.

Wait till you get games like I have seen with 4 red cards on the same game.
I think when you see such thing you will feel something is not right lol

I lost 3 players and the AI had one sent off. I still won the game lol But I was already playing with no strikers and no Atacking midfield and only launching counters down the wings. Fun game!!!!

Wait till you get games like I have seen with 4 red cards on the same game.
I think when you see such thing you will feel something is not right lol

I lost 3 players and the AI had one sent off. I still won the game lol But I was already playing with no strikers and no Atacking midfield and only launching counters down the wings. Fun game!!!!

LOL. I don't see anything like that. I then tend to not use tackling hard in individual instructions, team instructions or opposition instructions and I never let the assistant decide the OI (assistants love tackling hard) so that's why. Regardless, several red cards a match sounds too much if it happens more than once per season. I guess getting a balance between realistic numbers of cards thorough the season and making second yellows a worry without needing to instruct tackling hard for it to be and realistic numbers of cards within individual games is a tough balance to find.

I would like them to add some of the women's leagues. maybe start with the UK and US ones and international teams like they have introduced in fifa

The engine for me seems a bit restricted and usually you can predict certain times where a goal will happen, would be nice if it felt a bit less like that, its quite annoying

I would like them to add some of the women's leagues. maybe start with the UK and US ones and international teams like they have introduced in fifa
It'll be years and years before this happens. The women's game isn't popular enough.

The engine for me seems a bit restricted and usually you can predict certain times where a goal will happen, would be nice if it felt a bit less like that, its quite annoying

Well....all game engines become restricted once you know what works and what doesn't work.
We are still far away from having any AI which can really adapt to the individual random things which make football so magic.

So I have to say I actually don't mind this version of the engine that much.
Yes, we know the crossings are overpowered. But crossings are a big part of the game in real life. One other thing which works well on the game are quick combinations through the middle which is also something that can work in real life.

Considering all engines become broken once we figure them out, this one is not the worst ever.

Changes i would like to see are mostly with the match engine and tactical system

1) player movement - When an attack is building its the near enough the same movement every time and you know whats going to happen before it happens also strikers will never play off the last man and when playing through the middle players never seem to play through the middle however this could just be me not being tactically

2)Passing - when trying to a possession based game my players will never play the short simple pass when the pass is open again this could be me not being tactically great Also one thing that really annoys me is that teams will never play a backwards pass to keep hold of possession and just one more minor thing in FM possession is calculated by time spent on the ball in real life its calculated by passes made compared to the superstitions passes

3)Love to have the old "Classic" tactical interface back soo i can get my teams to play exactly how i want

4) Overseas academies - Id love overseas academies introduced i know this already in the game but i mean i would like something visual to see this happening.

5) introduce new staff roles

Changes i would like to see are mostly with the match engine and tactical system

1) player movement - When an attack is building its the near enough the same movement every time and you know whats going to happen before it happens also strikers will never play off the last man and when playing through the middle players never seem to play through the middle however this could just be me not being tactically

2)Passing - when trying to a possession based game my players will never play the short simple pass when the pass is open again this could be me not being tactically great Also one thing that really annoys me is that teams will never play a backwards pass to keep hold of possession and just one more minor thing in FM possession is calculated by time spent on the ball in real life its calculated by passes made compared to the superstitions passes

3)Love to have the old "Classic" tactical interface back soo i can get my teams to play exactly how i want

4) Overseas academies - Id love overseas academies introduced i know this already in the game but i mean i would like something visual to see this happening.

5) introduce new staff roles

There seems to me there are a few things which already are possible. You just need to find the right players and tactic.

ex: I use a tactic which exploits both crosses from the wings and combinations through the middle. Having several options this makes for the attacks to be less predictable. Tough yes...most of my goals do look similar but this will happen with every single engine

I see players doing what I call 2-1 combinations through the middle. With one of the forwards getting a pass from the AM and just playing it short to place the other forward in front of goal. I see this...not sure if I understood you wrong there and you mean something else.

My players sure do pass backwards lol even when they are not really supposed to.....I concede the odd goal now and then when one of my players just manages to assist an opposing player. **** happens on lower leagues lol See if your goalkeeper is playing as a sweeper and that kind of details to be sure everyone will be ok with passing backwards. Also you should avoid direct passes and very fast tempo.....because if you ask them to play fast and direct they will always kick it into the attack

Last edited:
Transfers...

All the time, there will be a player pursued by my club (we'll use Liverpool as an example because that was my main save, we were Prem champions when this was happening too, and made it to the semi's of the Champions League) and quite a few others of similar stature (Spurs, Arsenal etc) and one of us will crack and bid first leading to a flurry of bids, and while this is not an issue what is an issue is the seemingly impossible task of convincing a player to join your club. Constantly, they will demand enormous wages and I'll manage to whittle them down, and they get numerous lucrative bonuses to make sure they don't turn me down. For example I'll offer 100k a week plus bonuses, good money right!?

Wrong. Every. Single. Time. They accept the 60-80k offer from Arsenal/Spurs/whichever team!?! I have looked at everything..the player doesnt have them as preferred club, they don't dislike my club, there isn't a surplus of players in their position, even the bonuses are less in the contracts they accept. My club reputation is higher than theirs and I even offer the same squad role that they accept, usually Key Player/First Team. We would be playing in the Champions League and fighting for the Prem title. So why do they choose the worse offer every single ****** time!? Sure, sometimes this happens, not often in this day and age of footballers, but it still happens. Please..fix the regularity of this

Totally different for me, big teams were interested in my players based on form and not a lot else. I bought Christian Pulisic in my first season with Wigan in the EPL for £10m. He had a good season and I sold him to Levekusen for £38.5m.

I also sold Felix Klaus for £21m after just one good season in the EPL having bout him for £500k. He had a blind playing in my system but stats-wise he is absolute gash.

Many more examples...

I find it very hard to move on players who aren't playing for decent money, regardless of ability or potential. It's led me to bring in a rotating XI system so that I can attract buys for those players that are decent but not good enough for my first XI.