This game is so not noobfriendly. Can I get some tips?

Sellish

Reaction score
I don't think I ever played a game that is less noobfriendly then this. First time playing FM and I can't seem to win a single game.
First I played United, got fired directly. Then I read that United and Real is one of the more hard team to play with without getting fired so I can accept that.

Now I'm playing DIF in the swedish league. Spends a lot of time fixing tactics but I can't seem to win games. I've won one of 7. Won with 4-3.
I got 2 tactics with the 4-2-2 and one 4-3-2-1.
I've fixed roles, instructions and so on that fits the players. One tactic is about counters and the others about controlling the game.
But I can't win games.

Is there any "noob tacts" that is good to use in the beginning to learn?
I've read some about it and I like reading and learn about games but I have no intention to spend hours to read to only learn the basics of a game. That's what I've heard I have to do.

It is all well and good creating a tactic, that on paper should work, but if you haven't got the team to effectively play the tactic, then it won't work. Double check all the players roles, and make sure everything is dandy, you've obviously overlooked something that is making your team lose.

Create a tactic that utilises the strengths of your squad, and throughout time, you can buy players that suit the tactic that you want to play. Football Manager isn't a game of the impatient, it takes a lot of learning, and stupid mistakes to get a full threshold on how the game works, take charge of a team that has a well balanced squad and you can learn through that (Barca, Bayern, Chelsea etc).

PS: Many screens will be broken

Last edited:
I don't think I ever played a game that is less noobfriendly then this. First time playing FM and I can't seem to win a single game.
First I played United, got fired directly. Then I read that United and Real is one of the more hard team to play with without getting fired so I can accept that.

Now I'm playing DIF in the swedish league. Spends a lot of time fixing tactics but I can't seem to win games. I've won one of 7. Won with 4-3.
I got 2 tactics with the 4-2-2 and one 4-3-2-1.
I've fixed roles, instructions and so on that fits the players. One tactic is about counters and the others about controlling the game.
But I can't win games.

Is there any "noob tacts" that is good to use in the beginning to learn?
I've read some about it and I like reading and learn about games but I have no intention to spend hours to read to only learn the basics of a game. That's what I've heard I have to do.

Try this tactic as it seems to be generating a lot of views, replies and success

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...79480-christianeriksen-beautiful-play-36.html

you could also try FMC till you feel ready to do the other side of the game

It is all well and good creating a tactic, that on paper should work, but if you haven't got the team to effectively play the tactic, then it won't work. Double check all the players roles, and make sure everything is dandy, you've obviously overlooked something that is making your team lose.

Create a tactic that utilises the strengths of your squad, and throughout time, you can buy players that suit the tactic that you want to play. Football Manager isn't a game of the impatient, it takes a lot of learning, and stupid mistakes to get a full threshold on how the game works, take charge of a team that has a well balanced squad and you can learn through that (Barca, Bayern, Chelsea etc).

PS: Many screens will be broken

I've tried so many things. Different tactics, different teams. Nothing do work.
This game would be so much fun, if it wasn't so hard.

It certainly isn't noob-friendly. If it's too complicated, try FMC.

I've tried so many things. Different tactics, different teams. Nothing do work.
This game would be so much fun, if it wasn't so hard.

That could possibly be your problem right there. If you keep chopping and changing tactics then your team will essentially be learning a different tactic every match.

I strongly second the opinion to use this tactic: ChristianEriksen - Beautiful play

FM is a tough game to get into - when I started up again a few years ago I also got fired from MUFC :(

Take a look on YouTube at Work The Space - he has some some series with different teams, that could help you see how to choose players etc.

Takes a bit of effort but once you get it there is no going back. Maybe the best advice is to just walk away now before it steals your life :)

This FM isn't about creating a tactic which will always win. It's all about the prep as well, hence why your a manager with coaching stats. FM will take your life.

I'm fairly new FM player. Played a little FM14 and failed hard, but having a little success now. I think to start off with try someone like Liverpool or spurs as there not considered title contenders so you've a little breathing room for mistakes. Then look at your squad and see where your strongest/weakest and work from there. I'm Liverpool in janruary 4th in the league and into knockout stages of champions league. Tonnes of fun!

Last edited:
The best tip I can give you is to keep trying. I have been playing this game since the 90's and I still start every version with one of the top teams, such as Barcelona or Madrid. The reason, so I can find out what does and doesn't work with each new version. Tactically, I think this years version is a bit easier than last years, but if you are new to playing, it is going to seem really overwhelming because of the amount of work to be done, before even playing your first match. This is what I would do..

Pick a team, say Real Madrid.
Find a Tactic that would work well with Madrid or was built for Madrid.
Find a list of the best coaches. and fire anyone that isn't at least 4 stars training in at least 1 specific area and replace them.
Set your training to focus on the tactic to heavy.
Don't be afraid to simulate some of the games and let your Assistant coach.