Pezman123

Reaction score
Before the patch started i was using some tactics from here and some i made myself and i was winning the prem 1st season with almost any team in the league.

Now this patch, i get the sack before christmas with most teams, its absolutely ridiculous, ive tried using tactics from here and ones ive made myself and im just getting poor result after poor result.

I dont get it, how can i go from smashing it before the patch to being like a noob now, ive been playing FM for years so i know what im doing.

I do all the right training, try and keep team morale at a maximum blah blah, but its not helping, i concede from set pieces all the time and the other teams are playing like people on fifa and just doing over the top through balls all the time, its impossible. Im about to quit this game for good. :(

Have you checked out the post game analysis to see how you're getting beaten? It sounds like, as you've said, you've got some tactical problems. If you're seeing through balls it could be afew different things, try playing deeper or zonal marking, or better yet employ a good defensive midfielder, I've found that if you need to defend well you need a defensive midfielder and a rigid formation to keep him in front of the D.

Have you checked out the post game analysis to see how you're getting beaten? It sounds like, as you've said, you've got some tactical problems. If you're seeing through balls it could be afew different things, try playing deeper or zonal marking, or better yet employ a good defensive midfielder, I've found that if you need to defend well you need a defensive midfielder and a rigid formation to keep him in front of the D.

ive used tactics from here, (people comment on them saying how good they are....) and theyve all been useless, but before the patch there was alot of very good tactics that worked amazing.

i only ever play zonal.
i always have a anchor man.

tbf i do play a line either half way up or a bit more, but i only use CBs with atleast 12 pace/acceleration.

i use either defense positioning or defend set pieces for training and im leaking alot more goals this patch.

How well are your defenders getting along? I've found that some players take a year or two to really settle in after transfers. Check the stats, someone just has to be making mistakes or something. Maybe play a bit deeper and in addition have a BWM-D in mid. With rigid, an anchor man, decent BWM, and a good back four you really shouldn't be leaking goals unless there's something obvious wrong. I've found that setting all the selections on team to default except marking (set it to zonal) and slowly over the course of a season or two tweek it to fit what you're seeing. Yea I'm not winning best defense each year, but I'm scoring more than I'm giving up third season into Ligue 1 with Paris FC.

How well are your defenders getting along? I've found that some players take a year or two to really settle in after transfers. Check the stats, someone just has to be making mistakes or something. Maybe play a bit deeper and in addition have a BWM-D in mid. With rigid, an anchor man, decent BWM, and a good back four you really shouldn't be leaking goals unless there's something obvious wrong. I've found that setting all the selections on team to default except marking (set it to zonal) and slowly over the course of a season or two tweek it to fit what you're seeing. Yea I'm not winning best defense each year, but I'm scoring more than I'm giving up third season into Ligue 1 with Paris FC.

yeah, i will check this, but i dont c why its all happening now and not before the patch.
i used to go through seasons with like +70 goal difference, now im around 0 or even minus....

When you're dominating that hard its usually because of a bug in the ME, they work both ways good and bad sometimes. Honestly unless you've got a team like Bayern this season you shouldn't be so utterly dominant. You really need to look at the odds and such to plan out your tactics before a game starts. Sometimes I try, against a rival away, to play possession play and get rocked, other times i'll play for 30% possession and I'll beat them 3-0 because I counter like crazy and planned for it. I've found that you should plan 3 tactics and play 2 and use the extra to make sure you've got another style of plan fluid for in game switches of game plan.

When you're dominating that hard its usually because of a bug in the ME, they work both ways good and bad sometimes. Honestly unless you've got a team like Bayern this season you shouldn't be so utterly dominant. You really need to look at the odds and such to plan out your tactics before a game starts. Sometimes I try, against a rival away, to play possession play and get rocked, other times i'll play for 30% possession and I'll beat them 3-0 because I counter like crazy and planned for it. I've found that you should plan 3 tactics and play 2 and use the extra to make sure you've got another style of plan fluid for in game switches of game plan.

ok mate, any tips on 3 tactics i can use for a new southampton save?

For a low-mid table team like that, I usually plan to play a 4-1-2-2-1 defensive and rigid for games that you're the underdog (most games hah) I keep it pretty narrow if the strikers are dominating my back four, and just hope that set pieces/the random counter help me grab a few results. I play the same formation with pushed up defenders and counter/high pressing if we're about even and I play a fluid 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2-2 when I'm a favorite to win with short passes and high pressing.

My philosophy is go with the talent you've got, and always employ a specialized mid fielder. A standard 4-4-2 almost always gets stomped in the midfield. And spend big on two good full back/wing backs. On my most recent save I have two young Croatians on my right side and they play so crazily well with each other its nuts.

When you're in game pay attention to the overlays and what you're assman is saying. Dont trust everything they say, but check the stats mid game and make a few adjustments on the 15's. It's amazing when a good sub or two completely change the game in your favor.

would you advise a formation with 3CBs?

im thinking maybe this:

CF Support
Winger Attack - Winger Attack
BWM Defend - CM Support
WB Support - WB Support
BPD Defend - CD Cover - BPD Defend
GK

Standard
Balanced

Personally I don't have much experience with 3 CBs but from what I've seen they totally dominate anyone not playing a 4-3-3 variant or very wide. Set up your WBs to man mark and that sounds like a solid formation to me.

If your defenders start getting you in trouble use the shout clear ball to flanks, you could really use wide play to open up bigger teams if they play a highly attacking formation.

Post Patch Pandemonium

I too have found that my 4-5-1 winger based tactics now fail. Pre-patch wingers seemed to win games. Now I have expelled them completely. I started a new game with AC Milan and by November was bottom of the league with 2 points out of about 12 matches.... sacked!

Started from scratch with a new narrow 4-3-1-2, some minor tweaks here and there and it seems to be evolving nicely. I have gone Real Madrid just to give me a head start and not get sacked too quick.

The packed midfield means that I control - actually, make that dominate - the game and even though the philosophy is set to attacking the players do not get tired due to 65% possession every match.

I get about 20-40 chances per match which turns into about 5-10 clear cut chances and average 4-0 wins mostly all scored in the first half. Then I sit back.

STARTING TACTIC (brutal domination!)
===============

All settings default except...

Tackling = Aggressive
Philosophy = Attacking

-------AF-----DLF-------
-----(att)---(sup)------
------------------------
-----------AP-----------
---------(sup)----------
------------------------
----CM----BWM----B2B----
---(att)-(def)--(sup)---
------------------------
------------------------
--WB----CB----CB----WB--
(auto) (def)(def) (auto)
------------------------
-----------Gk-----------

HOLD THE LEAD (not brilliant, yet)
=============

All settings default except...

Tackling = Aggressive
Philosophy = Defensive

-------AF-----DLF-------
-----(att)---(sup)------
------------------------
-----------AP-----------
---------(sup)----------
------------------------
----CM----BWM----B2B----
---(att)-(def)--(sup)---
------------------------
------------------------
--FB----CB----CB----FB--
(auto) (def)(def) (auto)
------------------------
-----------Gk-----------

I'm not sure if aggressive tackling helps at all, I just like it :mad:
I get loads of cards.

Once I have won a few titles I will change jobs and try these tactics out in the lower leagues.