this must be a bug... what is happening?

PinePHresh

Reaction score
every single game i play the exact same thing happens. I start off really well, normally with a 5 or ten game winning streak, then my team absolutely falls apart. the 'good' and 'very good' morale suddenly drops to very poor for everyone overnight.

i praise the players and try to keep the pressure off them in my team talks. why does this happen?

What team(s)? I'm assuming if you're starting with a big win streak then you're one of the top teams in the league. If so, its probably just a case of over-confidence and your players not working hard enough. And of course morale will drop if you lose a game you're favourites to win.

The prime example being the Chelsea team of late (that is, Pre-Di Matteo). They are all superstars. They know they are superstars and forget the importance of hard work. They then start to struggle and as a result, morale drops and the problem spirals.

The key is maintaining a balance of keeping confidence high without your players starting to think that they're gods.

That being said, this is FM and there could be a whole host of other reasons behind it. Other teams figuring out your tactics, players becoming jaded, the 'honeymoon period' wearing off (which I'm not 100% exists in FM but from what I've seen I'd argue that it does), etc

EDIT: One thing I think you can rule out, though, is that it's a bug. Yes there are bugs, as you would expect with such a detailed game, but they are usually minor issues, not things as fundamental as being able to maintain a successful run.

Last edited:
currently i manage San Marino (media prediction 4th, Serie C2)

when we win i say 'well done'

but if the performance is bad i say that we weren't good enough to try to keep their motivation up.

then i lost just one game and said assertively that the performance was poor and suddenly every player had very poor morale.

Maybe the other teams have figured your tactics out? ;)
Try changing them up

i have 3 tactics i had been using to great effect

4-4-2 counter

4-3-1-2 standard

4-3-1-2 control

And you switch them around regularly?

Maybe drop under performers for a few games so they get their hunger back

They are all superstars. They know they are superstars and forget the importance of hard work. They then start to struggle and as a result, morale drops and the problem spirals.
[FONT=&#23435]
g.gif
[/FONT][FONT=&#23435][/FONT]​

every single game i play the exact same thing happens. I start off really well, normally with a 5 or ten game winning streak, then my team absolutely falls apart. the 'good' and 'very good' morale suddenly drops to very poor for everyone overnight.

i praise the players and try to keep the pressure off them in my team talks. why does this happen?

I get this every so often, but mid-season which would rule out the honeymoon period. It usually happens to me when I've recently changed tactics, it seems fantastic but then a ridiculous loss, the way I get around it is to switch formations mid game, and to also tweak the tactic off the field. I'm really not 100% sure if it is solely that though, I do sometimes think it is down to over-confidence, but then again if I take into account my Arsenal save, at the start of each game I always get the feedback 'Some of the players are under the assumption they can just turn up and win, especially 'Insert 4 or 5 names here', yet we still win pretty much week in week out.

Tweak your tactics, or make changes mid-game.

I have played countless hours of FM12 and have not found this to be a recurring problem. Good man management and team talks are the difference between a good player and someone who runs into your problem over and over again.

i have never changed tactics since fm08 regardless of what team i am and its never really been a problem for me.