Thomas Lane - A Football Manager

feedback is 100% welcomed, its always nice to know how the readers are feeling throughout as a way of me knowing what I can change to suit you all.

Great "blog", if you can call it that :-) Every FM kid's dream. Keep up the good work. It motivates me to take on a championship club to the promise land :-D

6th August 2016

I don't think I've ever felt so nervous in my life. My first competitive game in charge of Ipswich is this afternoon against newly-promoted side Barnsley, and I am starting to feel the pressure. What if the fans don't accept me because I don't have much experience. What if they get on my back because my style of play doesn't suit them. So many thoughts gushing through my brain as I sit in my office waiting for the hours to tick by. All this stress nearly made me miss my first competitive press conference. Great start...

Press: Brad Potts, The Daily Mirror. Ipswich have been handed an opening day fixture against newly-promoted side Barnsley. Do you consider that amongst the easier starts available?

TL: I wouldn't underestimate them in the slightest. They went through a tough League 1 season last year, against some very formidable teams. They will be coming into this match with all the confidence of a newly promoted team. It will be a very good test for me, I assure you of that.

Press: Kieran Weir, Sky Sports News. Do you get along with Paul Heckingbottom?

TL: Oh yes absolutely. Paul is a great manager and an even better person. I would consider him as a great friend of mine, hopefully he feels the same way.

The press conference comes to a close, and the sudden realisation that the game is getting closer hits me right in the stomach. I think about all the teams in the league with us this year, how good their teams are and how much they've strengthened in the summer. Newcastle have already started with a bang with a 3-1 victory away at Fulham. Dwight Gayle looks like a peach of a player. As I put my phone away and leave the fixtures behind me, I make my way down to the dressing room, and prepare to deliver the team talk.

Great "blog", if you can call it that :-) Every FM kid's dream. Keep up the good work. It motivates me to take on a championship club to the promise land :-D
Thanks Majid27, yeah its starting to sound like a blog:P sometimes people overlook playing with championship sides because they so close to being in the Prem, but most of the time it is the hardest league to get out of it, so it is a challenge in itself.

TL: Alright lads settle down settle down. I know you're all excited for the first game of the season. I'm feeling the exact same way. Slight nerves, but also optimism for the season ahead. I know most of you will think this is a walk in the park, an easy win because they have just been promoted, but that is not the attitude I want you to go into this game with. I want to see passion, I want to see the ball being moved left, right, back, forward. I want you to show these fans in attendance why they should be coming to watch us play. Alright then, down to business. Bart, you'll start between the sticks. Clean sheet from you today yeah. In defence, we've got Chambo at right back. Webster and Smithy in the middle, with Jonas at left back. Strong game today lads. No nonsense football. No nonsense tackles. On the right of midfield with be Freddie. Ward's on the left. Partnering Skusey in the middle today is Pedro. I know your new here son, but I believe in you. Show me what you can do. Up front today will be Besty and Pitman. I want a strong start to the season boys. Lets pick up 3 points. Let's get some goals on the board, and send these fans home happy.

I've always wondered what it must feel like to tell the team that you've supported for so long what to do. It gives you a sense of pride, knowing you're the boss, but it also makes you feel slightly bad for shouting at them. But that's what you've got to do. To succeed in this business, you've got to be ruthless. I had to be ruthless when picking the team today. There are a few names that I wish I could be in the Starting XI but aren't. But that's football I guess. Until they let me play 17 players on the pitch at once, these are the scarifies you have to make. Still, I'm excited. Walking out the tunnel, hearing the fans shouting your name, cheering on the team. This is where I want to be. So I take my place on the touchline, and wait for the whistle to blow.

Line Up: Bialkowski, Chambers, Webster, Smith, Knudsen, Sears, Chirivella, Skuse, Ward, Best, Pitman

For my first game in charge of a Championship side I'd say I'm content with this result. I know that we should try and get wins at home, but Barnsley had confidence coming over from last season. Going 2-0 down wasn't good at all, but two goals from two defenders, Chambers and Smith helped us get the point.

Line Up: Gerken, Holgate, Chambers, Juhasz, Knudsen, Ward, Bishop, Dozzell, Grant, Pitman, Sears.

Disgusted. Just disgusted. Positive to come from this is that I know which players will not be getting any minutes this season, time to start selling.

And sadly that is the end of the save. As i was playing through the next game against Brentford, it kicked my out of the application, and when i tried to load the save back up, for the life of me i can not get back into the save. Im really disappointed by this because i was enjoying how the save was going. Still, onwards and upwards as they say. So what i am going to do is probably start a different save on the website that it slightly different to this one. Enjoy.

Back