Three Lions hitting F5...

Roymo

Reaction score
Kick Out All The Losers And Start Again | John Nicholson

Intriguing proposal. Rather than a left field rant it actually seems a fair option although would be pretty testing on the talent pool, however, maybe it is the kick start the team needs to get headed back in the right direction.

We wanted it here in Aus after '06, then again after 2010 and the Asia Cup this year, but it's still a matter of the older hands calling time rather than being pushed out by the newer breed.
It's always struck me as odd as the majority of our dominant national sporting teams have high turnover of players. Mens and Womens hockey, netball, Union, League (maybe not so much), even swimming (probably more so than ever before and than any other team).
Tom Sermanni did it with our womens team, winning the Asia Cup and 2 QF runs in the last two WCs. the future looks really strong for them.
Our Cricket team has suffered from stagnation and 30yo debuters.
The Socceroos weren't far behind, but since the association revamp on '04 there's been a ripple of breeze of change.
The best thing for us I see will be when we lose our world reputation players in Kewell, Cahill, Neill and Schwarzer. Yeah it'll hurt losing their quality, but opens more doors of opportunity for new, fresh, different players.

To follow the Nich's idea through there'd be some hard calls for the current Old Dart starting 11.
For me, I reckon Stevie G, Hair Plugs and Gaz Baz would be hard done by from it, but Rio, J-Tezz, Cashly, Frank are due researching retirement properties. Time to step aside and/or mentor the kids, especially as they're generally on the cusp of (or past it even) of age catching up Vs abilities. The worst thing is hanging on longer than one should.

So who would be your new, untainted 11?
... I suppose this would be the opening Joey "FIGJAM" Barton would be hoping for. :D

Kick Out All The Losers And Start Again | John Nicholson

Intriguing proposal. Rather than a left field rant it actually seems a fair option although would be pretty testing on the talent pool, however, maybe it is the kick start the team needs to get headed back in the right direction.

We wanted it here in Aus after '06, then again after 2010 and the Asia Cup this year, but it's still a matter of the older hands calling time rather than being pushed out by the newer breed.
It's always struck me as odd as the majority of our dominant national sporting teams have high turnover of players. Mens and Womens hockey, netball, Union, League (maybe not so much), even swimming (probably more so than ever before and than any other team).
Tom Sermanni did it with our womens team, winning the Asia Cup and 2 QF runs in the last two WCs. the future looks really strong for them.
Our Cricket team has suffered from stagnation and 30yo debuters.
The Socceroos weren't far behind, but since the association revamp on '04 there's been a ripple of breeze of change.
The best thing for us I see will be when we lose our world reputation players in Kewell, Cahill, Neill and Schwarzer. Yeah it'll hurt losing their quality, but opens more doors of opportunity for new, fresh, different players.

To follow the Nich's idea through there'd be some hard calls for the current Old Dart starting 11.
For me, I reckon Stevie G, Hair Plugs and Gaz Baz would be hard done by from it, but Rio, J-Tezz, Cashly, Frank are due researching retirement properties. Time to step aside and/or mentor the kids, especially as they're generally on the cusp of (or past it even) of age catching up Vs abilities. The worst thing is hanging on longer than one should.

... I suppose this would be the opening Joey "FIGJAM" Barton would be hoping for. :D

No. its a terrible reactionary idea. Jones hasnt even pushed out Rio at United. Wayne Rooney is currently on of THE on form complete forwards in the world. Ashley Cole is still consistently top class. Same with John Terry and Steven Gerrard. You can still keep them and bring the young players through

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Oh my christ...........no. No way in ****.

How does cutting everyone and starting again benefit our youth? The whole point of a team is that the older, more experienced heads guide the younger ones.

Wow, that happened?
Kids, don't dump half a kilo of coffee into your Sambucca.
Hot ****, that effort of text make look like it turned me into Trent from Punchy.

Yeah, pisstaking at Johnny Nich. I do like his absurdist reaction to a lukewarm game though, made me giggle hard.

That said, who would you have in if you were to sweep out and/or exclude those who've been involved in failed Euro Champs or World Cup...
Maybe:

A.Young D.Welbeck G.Agbonlahor D.Bent A. Johnson
J.Barton J.Wilshire M.Etherington K.Richardson J.Rodwell J.Spearing J.Henderson
L.Baines K.Gibbs P.Jones G.Cahill C.Smalling R.Shawcross S.Warnock
B.Foster S.Loach S.Harper

A complete overhaul would be a disaster, the key to success is to blend them in and let them take over gradually, take Manchester United for example, I don't think they have had the exact same squad every year for the last 10 years but are still consistently at the top. It'll never happen.

Who would you have as the starting 11 if you couldn't pick from those who played in unsuccessful European or World Championships.

Does it count qualifiers? If so, then that's ridiculous. If not:

Hart
Walker Jones Cahill Baines
Parker Rodwell
Sturridge Wilshere Cleverley
Agbonlahor

A.Young D.Welbeck G.Agbonlahor D.Bent A. Johnson
J.Barton J.Wilshire M.Etherington K.Richardson J.Rodwell J.Spearing J.Henderson
L.Baines K.Gibbs P.Jones G.Cahill C.Smalling R.Shawcross S.Warnock
B.Foster S.Loach S.Harper

hahaha. We'd be lucky to get 3rd in our group (whatever it may be). With that squad we wouldn't have even qualified imo.

Does it count qualifiers? If so, then that's ridiculous. If not:

Hart
Walker Jones Cahill Baines
Parker Rodwell
Sturridge Wilshere Cleverley
Agbonlahor

Gary or Scott as (c)
I can see Jack becoming the Cap long term. Just looks like a hardman from the '70s who KNOWS things. :D