Ricobran

Reaction score
I’ve always struggled with playing through balls over the top. I have top players with great passing, creativity, decision making etc stats. I’ve tried more direct passing, into space etc, but the creative players always seem to hold onto the ball and play a short pass. Any advice?

Playing through balls 'over the top' sounds a bit like an oxymoron.

If you want to go Over the Top, then Pump the Ball In the Box, Clear Ball to Flanks, Go Route One are instructions for the team.

To play balls through the defence then, More Direct Passing, Pass Into Space, Higher Tempo - this needs your strikers Running Into Channels, and players in the AM strata set to 'Attack' - wingers especially (Get further Forward PIs can help). They will then start higher up the pitch and run off the shoulder of their marker who should be part of their def line (FB/DC).

Playing through balls only works if your attackers are all up against the opponent's defensive line, have anticipation and agility to be able to turn the opposition and have the pace and acceleration to beat them to the ball.

Works well against opponents who defend high or push their full backs forward. Doesnt't work against deep lines, CDs on 'Cover' duty or have very high Pace/Accel stats.

Against deeper defenses, put your best header as Striker, play wider, then Exploit Flanks or Clear Ball to Flanks, FLoat Corsses, Pump The Ball Into the Box and Go Route One with Dribble Less and Higher Tempo. Attack or Overload.

Against Higher defensive lines, Pacey forwards/wingers - PIs Get Further Forward, Run Into Channels. TIs Pass Into Space, More Direct, Higher Tempo.

Last edited:
Thank you. I know most of this, but I never considered pumping ball into box or going route one. Basically I play a bit like Barcelona. Mainly short passing, but you know they can play through ball, or balls over the top. I quite often get caught out with balls over the top against average teams, but I very rarely produce the same opportunities with much better players. I’ve wondered if it’s because I have my team set to short or mixed passing, but give my creative players more direct instructions, but it very rarely works. I can understand changing my instructions to more direct passing, but I don’t want every player trying through balls if they don’t have the attributes. I guess there must be a secret formation.