Status
Not open for further replies.

Mckergan

Reaction score
Through Thick and Thin
A Terrier Like Story
July 08

Introduction:

It was hard growing up in the small town of Limavady, Northern Ireland especially when aspiring to be a professional footballer. I started off my football career at my hometown football club, Limavady Youths, a small club on the outskirts of Londonderry. Through hard work and grafting through thick and thin, I worked my way up the ranks to Under 18’s.
Chapter 1:
Were it all began

It was a Tuesday evening, the floodlights gleamed over the pitch, as with every training session I couldn’t wait to get started, however, on this night, it was the Assistant Manager taking the session, the “gaffer” was somewhat reserved during this training session, most of the time was spent on the phone. After training, it was all explained, he sat us down and explained; “ Now lads, as you may have noticed I wasn’t very much involved in tonight’s training, this was because I was on the phone to the Co. Londonderry Milk cup manager.” Just by looking around the dressing room you could see the delight on the faces of youngsters who believed this was their time to shine. He then began to read out names of the selected few to go to a trial in a few days time, this would determine if my future were to begin or fall at the first hurdle.

Name after name was read out, the first, second, third, fifth, sixth, and then “Steven McKergan” my name was read out, I could hardly hide my delight, this was it, in one weeks time I would stand there with approximately fifty to sixty people hoping that I would be selected to play in the tournament.

It was a Saturday night, the evening before my trial, I was so excited, I had my boots at the ready, along with my favourite Manchester United strip. I lay there in bed thinking of the future and what I may hold if I play well during the trial and then in the tournament to follow, the cars, the house, the money, but most of all the delight at playing in front of a packed out Old Trafford.​
The next morning came faster than I ever could have imagined, I sprinted down the stairs, got breakfast as fast as I could, and waited for my lift to Londonderry where the trial was placed. I sat there on the sofa with a grin from cheek-to-cheek.​
My father followed me into the living room, with a somewhat arrogant walk, and in a demeaning tone of a voice said:

Dad: “ What are you so happy about?”​
Me: “I’m going to play football for Manchester United one day Dad”​
Dad: “ Wait, wait. Wait, your going to play for Manchester United, who told you this?” in a sarcastic tone of voice
Me: ”I did, and Mum agrees”
Dad: “We’ll see”

He quickly rose off his seat and stormed to the kitchen where Mum was trying to have a quiet breakfast, however, I suspected that wasn’t going to last long, it was the only thing they ever done. Dad stormed through the kitchen door and began to roar down Mum’s throat. I caught the tail end of the conversation and it was the words I did not want to hear before the most important trial I have ever went to:

“Do you really think that he is capable of going to this trial and doing well, get a grip woman, he will go to this trial and do the same as he always does, play terrible, he’ll come home and expect a shoulder to cry on, well it’s not happening this time”

With that, there was beep of a horn and I was off to my trial, still with the words of my so-called Father echoing through my head. I plugged in my iPod secretly wishing that it would drown out the words my Dad had said to my Mother, but it wasn’t happening. I flicked through the movies on my iPod and came across Coach Carter, playing through it came to a point where I needed motivation as we were nearly there, and my prayers were answered:​

Timo Cruz:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine as children do.
It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone.
And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

With those words ringing throughout my ears, I went ahead with my trial, words from my Father evaporated and motivating words of one Timo Cruz firmly placed inside my head. I played my heart out on that pitch, scoring two and assisting another, it may even have been the best game I have played in my entire life on a football pitch and it didn’t go unnoticed.

To be continued…

"Comments, feedback and constructive criticism all welcome
Length of posts will be shortened hopefully,
always get carried away when writing."

Last edited:
no worries ill follow this and look out for the next speech man:)

From a Glenavon supporter, this is looking good. Keep it up :)

i hope he makes up with his father >,< so invested with the character already lol

i hope he makes up with his father >,< so invested with the character already lol

Cheers hapoo, and we will see, never know what could happen :) thanks for the comment

Cheers mate, glenavon eh? did well at the weekend didnt you? thanks for following ;)

A win is a win, even if it was against Carrick and we were lucky haha. We're on the up, our gaffer is Gary Hamilton ;)

Chapter 2:

An Adventure - July08

“Congratulations Steven you’re going to the Milk Cup”

I wakened to the sound of a telephone ringing, an unknown number, should I answer? I honestly didn’t like answering numbers, I didn’t know what to do, but this could be it? My opportunity that I have been waiting for, I had a great trial, so why wouldn’t it be the coach? I answered the phone nervously just before the cut-off point, and started to speak.

Me: “H-Hello, Who’s this?”
Paul: “It’s Paul, the Milk Cup coach Steven, and I was wondering if you would to take part in a small tournament coming up?”

I thought to myself for a couple of seconds, and wondering, small? Does he mean the Milk Cup, if so; it certainly isn’t a small tournament.

Me: "I started to stutter, “ Th-Th-the Milk Cup?”
Paul: “Of course the Milk Cup Steven, what other tournament is there?”
Me: “Of course I’ll play, I’d be delighted
Paul: “Training begins in two days, be ready

I didn’t tell a sole, except for my Mother, as I had heard my father stating that he didn’t believe in my ability I told her not to tell him, I thought to myself why should I let him have the satisfaction of coming to watch his son play, when he figured that I wouldn’t be in the competition. However, I knew I had to be ready for this so it was focus time, it was the opportunity of a lifetime, the likes of Paul Scholes, David Beckham, and Ryan Giggs had all played in this competition, and I wasn’t going to let this chance pass me by.

A number of training sessions went by, fitness after fitness with slight ball work, it was tougher than I had ever imagined. I had peaked at my fitness level as had everyone else, to be honest, it was hard to imagine anyone not being fit as the sessions were vigorous.

Several weeks later, and we were placed in the Semi-finals, a tie against South Coast Bayern from the USA, while all along I was thinking it was Bayern Munich from Germany.

Match day and it was time to get my head down and focus on my dream, winning this tie meant we were in the final and playing Manchester United as they had won earlier, a dream come true. What I didn’t expect to hear was a change in formation to 4-5-1 meant I was dropped to the bench.

I sat there in the changing rooms hoping that this was all a dream, and in fact, I would wake up and be in the first eleven for the Semi-final against South Coast Bayern but it wasn’t to be, it was true, I was benched. I pulled myself together and made my way onto the pitch with my teammates and a smile on my face showing encouragement.

Legs shaking and teeth trembling it was kick-off time, I have never felt this nervous, I think it was more because of the fact I am standing here on the touchline instead of playing but I had to show my support. Forty-five minutes and nothing, it was a stalemate, no goals, plenty of efforts from both parties, however, no breakthrough. The match continued after the break and words of inspiration from the manager seemed to motivate our players, I stood there on the sideline pondering if this match would have been any different if I had started, would we be winning, losing, could I of made a mistake?

Paul: “Steven, your going on, get warmed up

Short sprint and stretches was the essence of my warm up, I barely had time to get ready. The 80th​ minute marker approached and it was my time to take to the field. A change back to our famous 4-4-2 from the 4-5-1 we were playing and it was go-go-go. You could see their players were tiring, and all of our fitness-training sessions were paying off. The ball was played into my feet, everything was going through my head, do I lay it off for a midfielder running on, or turn and shoot, after all I was on the eighteen yard line, after looking up and seeing who was making their way towards me. I laid it off to the midfielder, and, “Whallopppp” the ball raced towards the top left hand corner, all of the players turned their heads to watch the ball fly towards the top corner, the keeper stretching as far as he possibly could, finger-tips at length but he couldn’t extend his reach far enough. The ball rippled down the back of the net to our excitement, and the feeling was unbelievable, the celebrations continued towards the corner flag but we had to regroup, as it wasn’t over yet.

Me: “How long ref?”
Ref: “Two minutes

The whistle blew and the match had restarted, we only had to hold them off for two minutes, it could be done, but aslong as they kept possession we were in trouble. After we scored it seemed it was what they needed, to go behind, they were playing just like they were throughout the tournament, quick passing football. They pumped it up towards the corner flag were one of their wingers latched onto it, whipping it towards the edge of the box were one of their players waited and I couldn’t make it back, I was too far forward, was this my mistake I was talking about?

The centre midfielder pulled his right foot back to strike what could be the last kick of the game. However, just as he was about to strike the ball our centre back put his body on the line and produced a diving header to get the ball away from the clutches of their player. It would have been the last kick if it weren’t for Ronnie our centre back, the referee blew his whistle and we were in the final, however, with the final in 3 days time, not all of us were going to make it as Ronnie lay there lifeless.

He had in actual fact a broken jaw and would be hospitalised so Ronnie will miss the final of the Milk Cup against Manchester United.

Up next…The final…what will take place?

"Comments, feedback and constructive criticism all welcome
Length of posts will be shortened hopefully,
always get carried away when writing."

Last edited:
Thread closed, havn't got the time at the minute to write lads as you can see from the last post

Status
Not open for further replies.