Tiny team trying to make it to the group stages of ECC/EC

ismiseliam

Reaction score
Currently managing a small team in the Northern Ireland Premier Division called Donegal Celtic. After four seasons of toiling, I'v managed to win the County Antrim Shield three times, the League Cup, All-Ireland Cup, Irish Cup and now finally the league title, which propelled me into the Champions League Qualifying Phase.

Having beaten Dinndange (possible spelling mistake) fairly easily I then played and defeated Sheriff of Moldova in the next round (btw, I also found that one of their players, worth 275K was on the paltry sum of £10 per week...and still turned down my contract offer!!) to set up a tie with FC Kobenhaven, which I lost quite convinvingly. I now fall into the safety net of the EC Qualifying round, drawn against Hamburger HSV...I'm not feeling too optimistic!

Has anyone found themselves in this kind of situation where they are a very small team from a small league trying to compete in Europe? If so any tips would be appreciated! I would be more than happy to make the group stages of the EC for the revenue it would generate!

Yes, I was in the semifinals of the EURO cup with Koper. I suggest that you play hard at home, try to score a goal as soon as possible and than just defend. That was mainly my tactics throughout the whole competition. When playing away, try to come out with a 0-0 result, or any draw. It's one of the ways that might work, I mean.. it worked for me :)

glhf

I managed to get Glenavon (also Carling Premiership) to the group stages of the Champions League after five seasons of trying.

Once there I drew Arsenal, Ajax and Juve - beat Arsenal 3-1 at Mournview Park, drew 3-3 at the Delle Alpi and 1-1 at Amsterdam Arena. Then the game corrupted and I lost everything.

Unfortunately for you I can't give any tips as this was in CM99/00 so my best advice is keep trying - the year before I qualified I drew a money-spinning tie against Inter which earned me a huge transfer kitty of £1m+.

Don't know about you but I found the domestic scene pretty boring as I was constantly cleaning up at it whilst doing (reasonably) well in Europe?

I managed to get Glenavon (also Carling Premiership) to the group stages of the Champions League after five seasons of trying.

Once there I drew Arsenal, Ajax and Juve - beat Arsenal 3-1 at Mournview Park, drew 3-3 at the Delle Alpi and 1-1 at Amsterdam Arena. Then the game corrupted and I lost everything.

Unfortunately for you I can't give any tips as this was in CM99/00 so my best advice is keep trying - the year before I qualified I drew a money-spinning tie against Inter which earned me a huge transfer kitty of £1m+.

Don't know about you but I found the domestic scene pretty boring as I was constantly cleaning up at it whilst doing (reasonably) well in Europe?

Im 07 or it could have been 08 I managed to get Chimney Corner into the Champions League Final after about 20 season where I got beat by PSV. It was hilarious in the semi after loosing 4-1 at home to Milan I beat them 4-0 away shockingly and got to the final, the next season I failed to get through the qualifiers.

In FM11 I'm playing as a team from a tiny South Seas Island and have managed to get through the continental competition all the was to the Club World Cup.

I agree with the statement about needing to score first, its imperative. Look at you opponents on the motivation screen, try and play the ball through the areas where their players are having a bad game. You dont have to out play your opponent, as a smaller club you most likely cant anyway... but you can give them a helping hand to make mistakes, and hopefully your lads can capitalise on them.

Currently managing lower league teams and decided to start a gamesave in Kazakstan as Aktobe who start in Qualifying rounds of Europa League and i've just qualified for group stages :D

Hoping to improve the standard of Kazak football and bring in some decent players, already invested in a few cheap Brazilians (£25k at most)

Best result was definately a 4-1 demolition of Steaua which i certainly didnt expect.

Currently managing lower league teams and decided to start a gamesave in Kazakstan as Aktobe who start in Qualifying rounds of Europa League and i've just qualified for group stages :D

Hoping to improve the standard of Kazak football and bring in some decent players, already invested in a few cheap Brazilians (£25k at most)

Best result was definately a 4-1 demolition of Steaua which i certainly didnt expect.

ah, Brazilians, they'll go anywhere. Try for Colombians too, they dont seem to be too discriminating.

My friend , using TPS from finnish 1st league, i was there 3 years... won everything in the country, in the last year i managed to get a squad good enough to enter in ECL group stage, i remember beating Hapoel Tel a Viv, Paok (penaltys, was lucky to beat them) and some team from... I cant even remember, they were just weak.

the club average finances was 200k... when i left the club they had 10million :D. I got Villareal, Bayern and other team in ECL group, lost all games including a 12-0 with bayern, last game managed to get a draw at home against Villareal, after that the team moral got a giant boost, and i ended up winning all the games in the league after that :p good times in fm2010

ah, Brazilians, they'll go anywhere. Try for Colombians too, they dont seem to be too discriminating.

Cheers for the advice, going quite well so far improved finances from 300k when i joined it's now at 2million which is a massive amount for a kazak club so should be able to sign some players to hammer most league clubs, Europe is a much tougher challenge but enjoyable none the less.

Following your Cook Islands story, very good read :D