xaviesta

Reaction score
Playing 4-3-3 with AC Milan, IF on left, Winger on right with poacher upfront

Team is playing fine & the winger/striker combo works very well, I have El Sharaawy on the left & he just doesn't perform well, I've tried Kaka, Taarabt aswell, none of them perform.

Which individual instructions work best for an IF?

Thanks

Sits narrow is always a good one for IFs, but the real thing to consider is ALWAYS ALWAYS have something to make up for lost width. An attacking fullback down their outside would be perfect. In essence, an IF needs the players around him to complement his play in order to perform to his fullest.

Sits narrow is always a good one for IFs, but the real thing to consider is ALWAYS ALWAYS have something to make up for lost width. An attacking fullback down their outside would be perfect. In essence, an IF needs the players around him to complement his play in order to perform to his fullest.

Set cross ball to less often. You will be amazed by the difference this makes in terms of pushing goal scoring as higher priority. But adjust set up accordingly to compensate for them taking more shots on.

Set cross ball to less often. You will be amazed by the difference this makes in terms of pushing goal scoring as higher priority. But adjust set up accordingly to compensate for them taking more shots on.

This coming from the man who keeps on saying "...have you managed to get inside forwards to score often?" :p

Basically, to make IFs effective, you just need to consider the balance of your side. I got Jason Puncheon 13 goals in one season by making sure he only did one thing, cutting inside in order to run at goal or shoot. I had to compensate with Joel Ward flying up down his outside and an out and out winger on the other flank, but that's how you get it done, rather than going overboard with instructions.

This coming from the man who keeps on saying "...have you managed to get inside forwards to score often?" :p

Basically, to make IFs effective, you just need to consider the balance of your side. I got Jason Puncheon 13 goals in one season by making sure he only did one thing, cutting inside in order to run at goal or shoot. I had to compensate with Joel Ward flying up down his outside and an out and out winger on the other flank, but that's how you get it done, rather than going overboard with instructions.

That's what I had been missing, didnt occur to me. Switched it, and then boom, goal explosion. Welbeck leads the league charts from that position, going from 7 goals to 22 in just under half a season