Tips to enjoy the game/be less ragey...?

• Thread starter Thread starter louiscfc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 66
  • Views Views 5K
Status
Not open for further replies.

louiscfc

Reaction score
Absolutely love the game when i'm doing well. There is no better satisfaction. My favourite game series ever...until I start doing badly.
I cannot stand how annoyed I get when things dont go my way.
Most of the time its my errors, sometimes its luck and sometimes it is down to the game but I just work myself up so much, even though its just a game and when you put time and effort into trying to improve only for something freakishly unlucky to happen it makes me so ragey!
I'll even go and uninstall the entire game if I go on a bad run only to return the next day having to restart everything. Its making me laugh now how terrible I react and the excuses I make (haha even smashed my computer screen a few years back due to a late winner!!!) but I really wanna just enjoy the game when I win and lose.

Some people are so calm even at the worst times when playing FM but I dont know how to control that anger, maybe i'm just a fiery character with a lack of patience.

Please, for those of you who can handle it, share some advice on what you do to just forget about it or think positive, whether thats by habits or whatever. If I keep on the way i'm going in years to come i'll end up having a heart attack along with many broken objects!!!

Expectations. Manage them.

I assume you're often Chelsea. Go into a game not expecting to win easily, even though you're a big team. Those games where you expect to win 5-0 but end up losing 0-1 are the ones that make you rage. Brush it off.

I'll say that the more effort you put into FM, the more you'll get out of it. Few of us FMers (I'm not one) are blessed with being able to be great at the game with minimal effort and not paying attention to anything. A small change you make in a game can change a loss into a draw or win.

I don't care if I don't win every game, because I don't care if I get sacked etc. I'll just resign and/or apply for another job! It's that need to win every game that gets you when you inevitably don't.

Save and reload?

I know it's basically cheating however if you have paid the money for the game it's your choice how to play.

Gives you a way round the random losses in games you dominate

Expectations. Manage them.

It's that need to win every game that gets you when you inevitably don't.

That's my biggest problem. I want to win EVERY match, which is never possible. Regarding putting time and effort in, I do put a lot in, but its hard to maintain this when you spend a good hour or so preparing for a crunch match only to have 2 own goals, 3 injuries and a sending off and it gets me feeling like "What's the point?". But as you can imagine, the language is a lot more colourful.
People will look at FM and say it is just a GAME. But it is also much more than that. It is a test of patience, dedication and self control and I love it. It certainly tests me a lot.

Save and reload?

I know it's basically cheating however if you have paid the money for the game it's your choice how to play.

Gives you a way round the random losses in games you dominate

I did that years back but it just felt terrible and worthless and have since stopped doing it. I can take losing, but its them moments when you are watching it unfold when I just lose it. Once i'm calmed down I end up looking back and laughing.

I put a lot less expectation into results and it has helped over the years. I'll aim for a match win or a league win, but if I don't get it, so what? Who am I competing against?

The way i see it if i lose i see it as a challenge to pick the team up and go again or if your in poor form see it as a a good challenge still win the league or something... Basically turn everything negative into a positive fun challenge

I spend a lot of time in between matches, so a full season takes me between 24-48 hrs to complete.
I never start with any of the top teams, but when I start doing good my expectations sky rocket and I cannot stand losing a match,
let alone loosing out a place in the Europa cups! I love building coeffisients and having to wait another season for another go, then lose out in the qual of play offs gets me so mad I start jumping in the coach and cuss at my girlfriend.

She says its just a game but that makes me even more mad. I have so many ups and downs during a season, and I guess thats what makes this game so enjoyable.

Dont save and reload, just get even more assured you WILL win the next match :)

Accept that you should not win every match in a season.

Even the best managers managing the best teams will eventually lose

My main suggestion is low level. Get a low level team (from third level down), one that's not expected for promotion. Either middle table or low table. One you'll expect to lose more than you win. You'd take a loss as "well, that was expected, move along". And as a side effect wins will feel better than in a top team.

Winning every match is unrealistic. You have to accept that you're going to lose. Same as in real life. What you can do is set overall goals. For example, going top 4 in the EPL. Or making it to the semis of the Champions League. It would be boring if you won every game. In fact I recently won all 6 competitions with AC Milan recently in the 4th season managing the club. And so I decided to 'retire' that game to look for a new challenge.

Why, because that team can only get better, but it doesn't necessarily mean I'll ever be lucky enough to win all 6 competitions again. Get some variety. Sometimes taking on Challenges and Losing at first, will mean that winning later makes it all that much MORE rewarding.

I'm playing a Wolfsburg side now and trying to make them into a team that can beat the likes of Bayern for the Bundesliga title.

Last edited:
Learn to love the absolute facets of realism SI had put in this game. Make no mistake Football Manager is a very complex simulation game. Your press conferences, training ratings, player & board unhappiness, agents' demands & the unpredictability of the match engine is what makes this game comparable to actual football managing.

You could beat Arsenal 3-0 (sorry Gunners fans) one week then lose to minnows Chesterfield 0-1 in a League Cup simply because a combination of several factors. Your over-confidence in press conferences after Arsenal & before Chesterfield game simply made your players sagged off and become complacent; a player got sent off early and you got to play the remaining minutes down to 10; your team-talk at half-time & etc... I mean this is how football management should be, even so this is a simulation game we are talking about.

There would be no replay value if you simply stormed the league and win everything possible right. Because i guessed after 3 hours of game time you would play other games already. Maybe after 2 months of straight winnings you would even come back here again and moaned 'this version of FM is broken'. So bro, enjoy it as it is designed to be.

TBF to you mate,

Rage is a factor for me that makes the winning all that more enjoyable lol Obviously you can be OTT sometimes, But who cares..I call is passionate :)

The problem is not the loss, is not be real Madrid in the year 2070 with a team full of PA=200 and not being invincible...

No, that's the last of my problems...

I know that i deserve to loose when the other team is superior.
I know that from time to time i will loose that game that i've crushed the opponent.
I know that the better team don't win leagues just for being the best team.
I know that Diablo tactic is a thing of the past.

But i also know that...
The ratio of clear cut chances/goals scored is not even similar to real life.
The shooting on target/placed shots ratio is not comparable with real life.
I will not score from a free kick with a 20 player skill, but the other team will with a 12. Every 2 games!!
The number of injuries is way of real life. We all know that players are prima donas, but SI, they are faking...
If the fitness in real life was equal to FM, no way Lampard, Giggs, Messi, Ronaldo or any player in the world could have done so many games per season in their career.

Raging about results is all the time is childish.
Raging about few results is comprehensible.
Raging that the game is not yet complete, imo, normal.

The problem is not the loss, is not be real Madrid in the year 2070 with a team full of PA=200 and not being invincible...

I know that from time to time i will loose that game that i've crushed the opponent.

But i also know that...
I will not score from a free kick with a 20 player skill, but the other team will with a 12. Every 2 games!!
The number of injuries is way of real life. We all know that players are prima donas, but SI, they are faking...
If the fitness in real life was equal to FM, no way Lampard, Giggs, Messi, Ronaldo or any player in the world could have done so many games per season in their career.

This whole bolded part is wrong. This is a good example of someone purposely trying to spread myths.

But i also know that...

One thing i've always said about the match engine is that it produces too many chances compared to IRL. Now, because of this and in order to keep the scorelines realistic, more chances need to be missed to do this.
That is why i'm seeing 30+ shots on goal every game.

But i also know that...
Prove it. If you actually go and look, you'd be surprised at how closely it does compare.

One thing i've always said about the match engine is that it produces too many chances compared to IRL. Now, because of this and in order to keep the scorelines realistic, more chances need to be missed to do this.
That is why i'm seeing 30+ shots on goal every game.

That's not how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back