Rusty Gate

Reaction score
TO INFINITY AND BEYOND

A footballing story by Rusty Gate

NOTE: After completing this project, I discovered that Infinity had dropped out of the Wessex League Division One after its ground sharing agreement with Hythe & Dibden was terminated and the club was unable to secure another suitable venue. Hythe officials said the main complaint and reason for termination was the use of racist language from an Infinity player during a game this season, and they could not let the issue slide. It is unfortunate that this has happened and add my own voice to those calling for the strongest possible legal enforcement against individuals and organizations using or supporting any form of racism not only in sport but in all walks of life.

NOTE 2: In posting this I unfortunately formatted it wrong in that it came out as eight separate posts. If you read through this thread, the entire storyline is here now, and you can ignore parts two through eight. If I could delete them I would. Thank you for those bringing this to my attention, I do apologize, and now that I know the correct formatting procedure anything I do in the future will be easier to read and follow.

INTRODUCTION​

Sports simulations have been my passion since my teenage years.

Back in the 1970s and through ’80s it would be table-top card games. They included baseball, football, golf – usually made by the APBA company out of the U.S.A., and hockey, for which there was a dearth of games, so my brothers and I created our own, but being Canadian we also had the rod-hockey game. It still might be the best non-computer game ever created for its simplicity and ability to capture the essence of a sport. It is still very much a mainstay in Canadian hockey-family homes.

My own burgeoning athletic abilities and a growing family would take me away from these table-top pursuits as a young adult. Then there was the competitive competition in the real world of maintaining a professional life as a sportswriter and newspaper editor while helping my wife raising a family of five children. This would wonderfully consume my time for the next couple of decades. However, with the children turning into adults and going out on their own, I would find time for more leisurely activities and a renewing of my passion for table-top games but now they had morphed into video and computer games.

I tried my hand at dozens of such games over the next few years, landing on baseball games for a number of those years as it was a sport I loved to play, had coached and even officiated over the years. With a strong knowledge of the sports’ history, it was easy and comfortable to play but I was also on the lookout for something different to challenge my imagination a little bit more.

It was during this time I came across Football Manager. Not really knowing what to expect, I downloaded the trial version of FM2010 and was surprised by the depth of the game. Not really knowing where to start, although I had a strong knowledge of the English Premier League as all the games were shown on the sports networks in Canada, I struck out to Brazil.

Huh! you say. Well, I thought it would be good practice before I took on anything in Europe.

I got hooked right away by the way the game stimulated my mind in managing elements I was not used to, or quite frankly knowledgeable about. I remember my first game, having tried my hand at a number of simplier football games on consoles I knew goaltenders didn’t get injured so selected just one on my roster – only to have the game remind me that two is the preferred choice as less than a half hour into the contest mine got injured and I would lose badly. Also, as I remember from literature I had read, at that time it was not unusual for Brazilian teams to play double headers – two games on the same day – and my schedule reflected that as I came across it on a few occasions. I could go on-and-on about the little nuances that added up to putting a smile on my face and an itch to play this game that has now lasted more than 10 years.

I have had many high and lows with the various iterations of FM and certainly would call it a small passion waiting for the next version to come out, loving some versions more than others but always enjoying my time with each and every version of the game.

I have kept those moments mostly to myself up to now, not really engaging the community other than as a spectator through the various website forums, You Tube and more recently Twitch. This is my first foray into offering up any opinion on the game through the creation of this playing diary of a season.

As I begin this journey, we must all remember that FM is a game and so has been created to entertain – and if you let it do that you will never be disappointed. If you try not to “exploit” its short comings too badly, you will have many, many hours of enjoyment such as I have had. Although, I do have to tip my hat at those trying to “game the game” as it keeps the developers on their toes as they continue to create a most wonderful experience.

And now, I present a simple story with which I hope to offer a little guidance for those beginning their journey and maybe for those who may be having trouble learning the game. And for the rest, maybe you will find this entertaining.

PROLOGUE – FROM SMALL BEGINNINGS CAN COME GREAT THINGS​

Or at least that is what I want to believe as I begin this unusual save in Football Manager 22.

I wanted to start at rock bottom after trying a few early saves in the latest iteration of Football Manager. And as I write ‘rock bottom’ I mean going as far down as I could with this data base – in this case using DanFMdatabases’s England Lower Leagues – to get to Level 10. From there it was a matter of choosing the right club. It didn’t take long for an eye-popping choice in this endeavour. At this point, I would like to acknowledge the fact that Canadian grammar is being used so the spelling of words might seem a bit different then in your neck of the world -- and being truly Canadian I am 'Sorry' if you have an issue with the spellings.

Back to the story. Catching my attention was a team called Infinity, which I thought was an interesting club name as well as maybe how long it might take to succeed with this team. I am a LLaMa at heart.

The real club doesn’t even have an actual web page – at least when I started this save – but research showed it was recently promoted to the Wessex League Division One after championing the Hampshire Premier League. It also showed it was a club that almost wasn’t.

Infinity is a nomadic team, never with a home for long, but still they posted an impressive 37-match unbeaten run during “two pandemic-shattered seasons” in the HPL according to the Portsmouth News Bulletin in May 2021. That same story noted that the team owners nearly dismantled the club because of a decision made by the Football Association in March 2020 that voided the 2019-20 season. It effectively denied one of the most brilliant lights in the far off, lower galaxy of non-league football – having posted the best Points Per Game mark over two years (2019-2021) – their due promotion. Then came the FA’s non-league restructuring plan in 2021 and Infinity tore itself away from the black hole of oblivion in hopes of shining again in a new part of FA galaxy.

And that is where our story starts.

And when I say starts, I mean with a “Big Bang” type explosion onto the scene. From nothing I am hoping to create something, and hopefully the adventure proves worthy of documentation and reading. The plan was to start the save without any staff, any players and any game plan. So, on Day One there was nothing.

As for my own qualifications, even though I have played Football Manager for more than a decade I went with the suggested badges and abilities for the level I would attempt to manage.

Also of note, in addition to the league pack and for full disclosure, I am using Daveincid’s realism pack and sortitoutsi license fixes. I will not use any premade shortlists when it comes to staff or players, including wonderkids. I expect my scouts – for good or bad – to be able to do the job for which they were hired although I did filter unsigned players in the player search field to start this game.

Last edited:
A football story by Rusty Gate
NOTE: In posting this I unfortunately formatted it wrong in that it came out as eight separate posts. If you read Part One, the entire storyline can be found there now, and you can ignore parts two through eight. If I could delete them I would. Thank you for those bringing this to my attention, I do apologize, and now that I know the correct formatting procedure anything I do in the future will be easier to read and follow.

JULY 2021 – CROSSING MY FINGERS AND HOPING FOR THE BEST​

Where to start?

Well, for the first season, I wanted only players born in the year 2000 or later. I decided to see if I could take a group of youngsters and develop them and keep them with the club for as many years as possible. This would not prove to be a popular decision with the board – more on that at the end of this storyline. I also put a request into the board for a tryout day – which was denied. This was not a great start. I might not even get to the first exhibition game with this type of attitude, I thought.

Okay, to the player search page I then went. I looked for any player that wasn’t tied down to a club who was currently in the United Kingdom. The list was promisingly extensive, so I started inviting players by position starting at the last line of defence. It soon became apparent that even though you might not have a team to play for with training camps looming, Infinity was not a priority option. I ended up with only two goaltenders that would consider signing. You’re in boys!

I fared little better at the other positions as the search went on throughout July. It wasn’t a matter of getting to pick and choose who I wanted on this squad but whether could I get enough players willing to sign up to even field a team by opening day.

The search was also on for staff that would fit into a simple and basic 442.

By the time the first exhibition game came into view, I had one player under contract, just 21 players in camp and still no staff. The result was a 2-1 loss to Godalming, also a 10th tier club who had enjoyed better days in the English pyramid. Only one player that day would go on to feature in my opening day roster, striker Brandon Parsons.

The first signing was defensive midfielder Luca Carter-Henry, who had spent the past two seasons in the Leyton Orient youth ranks. He joined the club on July 10. He did not feature in the first exhibition as he was already out of his trial contract and not with the club. I mention him because he was also a rarity as the signings progressed in that he played at a recognizable level the previous season.

Let me explain after I mention that we won our next two exhibitions as the team rotated triallists and I tried to get players signed. The results were 2-1 over Cowes Sports, a ninth level club in the County Leagues, and 1-0 over another level 10 club Melksham Town. By the time I finished our last exhibition game, a 1-1 tie with 10th level Chalvey Town, I had just 12 players and one coach on contracts or signed as non-contract players.

While I mentioned Carter-Henry had a playing resume that included time with a recognized organization the previous season, not so for a vast majority of those that I could cajole into signing either as a youth prospect or as a non-contract player. In the end, it looked like I spent my days recruiting from pickup games at neighbourhood parks.

Here would be the players in my starting lineup for the season opener, their previous affiliation and the year it ended (remember we are in July 2021): goalkeeper Peter Arnold (who was property of Woking up to 2019); right full back Daniel Carr (Oxford, 2018), left full back Jack Morrell (Ramsgate, 2020), central defenders Darren Abbey (Barnett, 2018) and Kian King (Kidderminster, 2019), right winger David Neligwa (Stratford, 2020), left winger Brett Callow (Kidderminster, 2020), central midfielders Jodi Simoni (Nuneaton Boro, 2019) and Mitch Thomas (Barnstaple, 2018), while up front featured Parsons (Exeter, 2018) and Joe Massaro (who Kettering had sent out on loan to four clubs over the previous three seasons). Only three players were on the bench, backup goaltender Sam Proudfoot (Downton, 2019), full back William Putt (who played for Basildon last season), and Carter-Henry.

I released Charlie Scanlon just eight days after he signed and just prior to the opening game as he was unhappy that he would not be the first choice at left back. He would go on to sign with Fareham Town in the Wessex Premier Division – hopefully our next step on this journey.

I did manage to sign some staff members just days before the season was set to begin. Joining Infinity as assistant manager is Gary Powell (who left Odd Down), goalkeeping coach Ada Gower (who left Canterbury), two physios James Platt and Jon Whittington, who all joined Harry Dixon, who was my first staff signing, coming in as a coach. I still had no scout nor a performance analyst, two more positions I had posted.

AUGUST 2021 –
WE HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF A SUCCESSFUL CAMPAIGN​

It’s the eve of the opening game, it’s the opening press conference, but do I really believe that statement?

I thought it would be better to boost the players’ morale than hand out a reality check of “I have no bleeping idea what is going to happen on opening day, I just pray we don’t embarrass ourselves” which wasn’t on offer during the press conference leading into the opening game on the final day of July. The media prediction had us finishing 19th in the 20-team table. Yes! There might be one team worse than us.

So, opening day and it really is a complete unknown as we hosted Ash United, who were predicted to be a mid-table club. My new assistant manager while outlining opposition player instructions, which I dutifully followed, opined team wise we should go very attacking and use extremely direct passing. Why not give it a go, I thought? And so, we did!

We got what I thought was a lucky break 16 minutes into the contest when a goal kick from Arnold sailed over the heads of the Ash defenders and Parsons right-footed it past a hard-charging goaltender from the top of the penalty box. Callow would head home a cross from the top of the six-yard box to make it 2-0 at 21 minutes. Then just past the half hour Massaro belted a ball in off an Ash defender to put us up 3-0. It was a dream start!

In the second half, a second goal came for Parsons when he outraced the defence to a through ball from Thomas and touched it past the Ash goalkeeper for a 4-0 final. We finished with a 2.11 XG and 10 shots on target. So, with an unexpectedly impressive win out of the gate, the future is looking a lot brighter.

Our second game of the season, on Aug. 4, was another 4-0 win, this time over Andover. It was scoreless up to sixty minutes, then Massaro struck for two goals followed by Neligwa and Infinity was up 3-0 by 65 minutes. Parsons added an injury-time marker. Our XG was 3.68 as we outshot the visitors 29-11, with 13 shots on target. Wow!

Our third game was a 2-0 win over Fawley on Aug. 14., with Parsons and Massaro scoring, while Neligwa at right wing recorded a perfect 10. We outshot our hosts 37-3 and had an XG of 3.76. Our lineup had not changed during those three games, with the same players on the field and on the bench as we started the season. The only exception was Kang would see time at left full back to rest Morrell in the game against Fawley, but I really couldn’t affect any other changes. Nor was I going to rotate Arnold who now has started the season with three consecutive clean sheets.

All of this was totally unexpected, but very, very delightful as I went from “can we even win one game this season” to “we can’t lose!”

There were two additional staff signings during this time. We brought on a scout, finally, in Jeffrey Browne and a head performance analyst in Luke Ward.

Ward’s signing would prove invaluable in helping us craft our on-field identity. He went to work straight away, and we changed to a lower line of engagement and force the opposition outside to go along with very attacking and go route one (extremely direct passing) when we took on Ringwood Town on Aug. 21.

The game against Ringwood would be a wild one with Infinity prevailing 5-3 on two goals from Parsons followed by three goals from Callow – who is a more natural left back being pressed into playing left wing because we had no one else that could fill that role.

I should mention, that with only being part-time players, sometimes not even getting in any training sessions between games, that all training has been left to my assistant, although I reserved the ability to change things up should I think it warranted.

We did also sign two more players – or should I say we found players who would sign for us – in central midfielder Sam Green (Woking, 2019) and defender Kieron Loughney (Barnett, 2018). This allowed for some rotation to our original lineup, with Simoni moving to central defence as Green moved into the midfield. Loughney moved to right back in place of Carr.

Last edited:

NOTE: In posting this I unfortunately formatted it wrong in that it came out as eight separate posts. If you read Part One, the entire storyline can be found there now, and you can ignore parts two through eight. If I could delete them I would. Thank you for those bringing this to my attention, I do apologize, and now that I know the correct formatting procedure anything I do in the future will be easier to read and follow.

SEPTEMBER 2021 – A BUMP IN THE ROAD​

How long could the good times last?

As I was to find out, it would be the first day of September or 32 days – or in game time 444 minutes. Up 2-0 on goals by Thomas and Parsons, we let Folland Sports get one back in the 59th minute and then collapsed in the final 10 minutes giving up two more goals and losing 3-2. This was despite outshooting our hosts 28-14 (12-8 on target), out XG’ing them 2.42-2.08, and posting a higher average rating of 7.04-6.86.

Ward had recommended using a higher defensive line, which I went to in this game, but the experiment led to the two late goals as Folland forwards got in behind a tiring defence – still lacking defensive choices it looked like it would be a problem not quickly resolved through substitutions so I would move to a standard line of defence for much of the remainder of the season.

Joining Infinity on the first day of September was striker Lanre Balogun (free from Welwyn Garden City). His inclusion gave us now three strikers, allowing for some rotation, although Balogun did not get off the bench against Folland.

Another win, 2-1 over Laverstock & Ford with two goals by Parsons, who also had a third ruled out for offside, was followed by our second loss of the season, a 3-0 hammering from Romsey in which the team put in a miserable 6.52 performance despite outshooting its opposition 22-12. However, we were weak in the quality of shots, out XG’d 2.21-1.65, we’re beat in possession (52%-48%), passes completed (82%-79%), tackles won (82%-79%) … well you get the picture.

Between those two games though, Infinity played its first Cup game, taking on North West Counties League Division One North – how is that for a mouthful? – AFC Blackpool in a FA Vase First Qualifying Round match. In the most evenly matched game to date, Green’s give-and-go set up with Callow, led to Green busting in alone against the Blackpool goalkeeper and slotting the ball into the goal from near the penalty spot at 28 minutes, producing a 1-0 win.

Green, who is rated as a one-star performer, was only supposed to be a stop-gap player as I sought other options for his central midfielder role who was turning in consistently 7.4-plus performances in the early going.

Heading out of September, Infinity would defeat Penistone Church – I couldn’t make that name up – of the Northern Counties East League Premier Division 5-1 in an FA Vase Second Qualifying Round match, followed by a 6-4 victory over division rival Downton in the Wessex League Cup First Round.

Balogun came into the lineup and scored twice against Penistone, while fellow strikers Parsons and Massaro each had two goals against Downton. Neligwa posted his second perfect 10 of this campaign in the win over Downton.

Meanwhile, my new and only scout was not taking instruction very well, at least from his manager, as he keeps throwing overage (30 years plus) performers my way. It might make the board happy but not me as I keep discarding those choices, although I have been finding players born 2000 or later in his scouting bin that I do bring in on trial – but the players only seemed amused enough to train a few weeks with us before saying “thanks, but no thanks” and moving on.

Last edited:

OCTOBER 2021 – PARSONS TURNS INTO A SCORING PHENOM​

Infinity posts five wins in five games in October led by an unstoppable force.

Parsons racked up two-goal performances in wins over New Milton (Oct. 2) 5-0, Petersfield (Oct. 9) 3-2 and Burscough (Oct. 23, FA Vase First Round) 5-2, then finished the month with a hat trick and a 10 rating in a 6-0 win over Andover on Oct. 31.

In the thrashing of Andover, Neligwa posted yet another 10 rating, while the team rating was 8.14 to go with an XG of 3.46, outshooting the home side 35-8.

In the other game of the month, Balogun scored twice in a 4-2 victory over Verwood, played on Oct. 27.

During the month, we used attacking and positive in our game-day strategies and introduced hit early crosses in the final three games of the month which helped us average five goals per game. I also started to tweak the positions, moving to two advanced forwards and reassigned one of my central midfielders, Thomas, to a mezzala role. Green, playing as a central midfielder, was put on automatic, with my two wingers on attack. The back line featured the central defenders on defend and the full backs on support although their duties were the most fluid depending on the recommendation by my assistant manager on how many attacking or defending duties I should assert for the game. I had started the campaign with my goaltender as a sweeper keeper but changed Arnold to a goalkeeper during October.

It was also during this run I realized I needed to start taking a step or two back once I had the lead to keep my players ready and healthy for the next games, so I started falling back to a balanced or even counter approach, while on occasion removing counter attack, lowering the tempo and slowing down the pace.

We exited the month with a league record of 9-0-2, holding down first place, however we are yet to play any of the top teams in the division.

I did add three more players to the roster while releasing one player. Coming in the door were left back Kamol Campbell (free from Boldmere), wide midfielder Dylan Gifford (Lewes, 2018) and right back Aaron Whitmore (Coventry, 2019). Heading out the door was Putt, who had made only six appearances but four off the bench during his time with the club.

NOVEMBER 2021 – LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL​

Seven games produced seven wins as only once was Infinity really challenged in the month.

Parsons continued to burn up opposition goals, scoring all three goals in a 3-0 Wessex League Cup Second Round tie with Verwood on Nov. 3.

Infinity had to stage a comeback in its next outing, a 4-2 win over Whitchurch on Nov. 6. Massaro and Thomas scored three minutes apart late in the first half to overturn a 2-1 deficit.

Another brace from Parsons and his eighth consecutive 8.0-plus performance – he was rested against Whitchurch – led Infinity to a 4-0 win over Fleet Spurs on Nov. 10.

Balogun comes through with a hat trick and a 9.9 rating in a 5-1 win over Newport (IOW) on Nov. 13.

Massaro scores my highlight goal of the season in the 89th minute to seal a 3-1 win over Millbrook on Nov. 17. The play began with Arnold punting the ball up field and Balogun putting his head on it, directing it to Massaro, who split the defenders for a breakaway, slotting the ball neatly past the opposition goaltender.

Then followed Infinity’s most challenging win of the season, a victory over Harefield United in the FA Vase Second Round on Nov. 20. Regulation time finished 1-1 and extra time saw each team score once, Infinity in the second minute and Harefield in the second to last minute. In penalties though, Infinity was unstoppable and Arnold made two saves for a 4-2 spot kick result.

Completing the month is a 4-0 victory over Bremerton Heath on Nov. 27 with Parsons scoring twice in the opening 15 minutes and finishing with another 10 rating.

I introduced three new players to the team in right winger Joe Seery (Plymouth, 2020), central midfielder Spencer Cripps (Bromley, 2020) and goalkeeper Tyler Coombes (free from Plymouth). Coombes I expected to be our No. 1 but he is going to have to be patient as I am not about to take out Arnold, who was averaging 7.12 this season and the team is winning with him between the posts.

Out went our starting right back from opening day, Carr, who would sign with the London Tigers. Carr made just five appearances for Infinity before asking for his release.

With five league wins, Infinity improved to 14-0-2 on the season, firmly entrenching the team in top spot in Wessex League Division One.

Last edited:

DECEMBER 2021 – A DECEMBER TO REMEMBER​

Infinity is riding a 13-game undefeated streak entering the final month of 2021 and opened it with a 2-1 victory over Totton & Eling on Dec. 5 as the schedule finally brought us into contact with the other top teams in the division. The second-place team didn’t have an answer to our first half tactics that included very attacking, press with much more intensity, and ease off tackles. Goals from Parsons and Balogun put us up 2-0 at the break. I switched to cautious in the second half and gave up one goal. There were some disappointing numbers in that we only had 36 per cent possession, while our passing was just 80 per cent and tackling was just 53 per cent, however our XG was 2.92 compared to 1.17 and Infinity outshot T&E 28-18 (10-7 on target).

The worrying signs in the previous game, manifested themselves into a near complete breakdown in an FA Vase Third Round tie against Eastwood Community – a midtable United Counties League Premier Division North squad – on Dec. 14. Up 2-1 after just 24 minutes, the roof caved in and four consecutive goals led to a 5-2 defeat and there goes one trophy. Infinity did manage to outshoot Eastwood 21-13 with a 10-5 edge on target, but we were out XG’d 2.20-1.58.

The month finished off with three more league games.

Gifford gave an unexpected but pleasing performance in a 4-3 win over Ash United on Dec. 18. The left winger scored three goals. You haven’t read much about him since I announced his signing. If you recall, he was signed back in October, only to get injured in his first start a few days later. He got back into the lineup for the first time in this game, filling in at left wing for Callow, who was being rested for just the second time this season. The first time Callow was out of the starting lineup this season was the game Gifford started and got injured.

Massaro would give Infinity a hat trick performance in a 5-2 win over Downton on Dec. 26. This was the first league game this season we were outshot by the opposition, 23-21 (although it was 11-13 on target) but the players were brave enough to grab a team rating of 7.50 compared to 6.69 for Downton.

To finish off 2021, goals by Massaro in the first half and Parsons in the second half, with Arnold posting his ninth clean sheet, helped Infinity to a 2-0 win over East Cowes Vics on Dec. 29.

Heading into 2022, Infinity is 17-0-2 in the league play and headed to the third round of the Wessex League Cup. Parsons leads all scorers with 22 league goals and has nine cup goals and an 8.3 average rating.

The other two strikers have been no slouches either with Massaro at 15 goals (10 in league play) and a 7.61 rating, and Balogun with 11 goals (nine in league play).

Equally impressive has been Neligwa, with the right winger turning into a free and corner kick God. He has seven goals and 19 assists and an 8.13 rating. During this 13-game winning league run, the 20-year-old London native has never been below a 7.3 rating.

Some might be wondering how I set up my corner kicks. It is pretty basic, with one central defender lurking near post, the other attacking far post, one striker lurking near post and the other striker attacking from the edge of the penalty spot. Also one of my central midfielders is marking the goaltender and the other is lurking outside the area. I put two men back and the other player, which is usually the left winger is set to stay back if necessary. The corner kicker, in my case Neligwa, is set to mixed kicks as I am not blessed with a great amount of height – my tallest outfield player is Parsons at six-foot-two – nor are they great jumpers.

I could probably do more with free kicks, which are at the default stage, but the team is doing quite well without any modifications, so I haven’t messed with it to date. The same goes with Infinity's defence of corrner kicks and free kicks.

Only one player move during the month, Rubyn Gill (Leicester, 2018) was brought in to add to the numbers in central defence.

Last edited:

JANUARY 2022 – THE INJURY BUG RAISES ITS HEAD​

I suppose it was only a matter of time before a string of injuries would hit the club, as Infinity was rather fortunate that it had so few in the opening five months of the season – only Gifford was unavailable for a prolonged period of time. So, I shouldn’t have been that surprised when Balogun went down with a twisted knee on Jan. 1, but it was followed by Parsons with a pulled hamstring a week later. Within eight days, I was reduced to one striker. Luckily, I had Callum Boylan (released by Basildon United) on a trial, and so I signed him, only to have the 19-year-old London native go down with a twisted knee in his first game on Jan. 15. Now that really fried my bologna – which might be a Canadian thing only – having three strikers go down in short order.

I was forced to move Neligwa into an advanced forward role to keep from having to change Infinity’s formation because I did not want to mess with a good thing. And it worked! Especially, since Massaro stepped up his game and scored a brace in four of six games played during the month.

In league action, Massaro would score twice in a 4-0 win over Andover on Jan. 1, then twice more in a 6-1 win over Fawley on Jan. 8.

Then it was a Wessex League Cup Third Round tie on Jan. 11 and a 3-0 win over Bashley. Infinity outshot its Wessex Premier League opponent 24-8. In his first game as a striker, Neligwa would score in the 84th minute.

Two goals from each of Massaro and Abbey, who did it off a pair of headers from Neligwa free kicks, led to a 5-1 thrashing of Ringwood Town on Jan. 15.

Infinity then beat Laverstock & Ford 3-1 on Jan. 22. The highlight being Neligwa, playing his second game as an advanced forward, scoring at just 26 seconds. Off the opening kick, Callow would cross from the left wing to Massaro just below the penalty spot, who one-timed the ball towards goal, with Neligwa at a more advanced position having the ball deflect off his raised left foot into the goal.

Finishing off the month was a 2-1 win over Romsey on Jan. 30, with Massaro scoring both goals. We were up 2-0 when Gill took a second yellow and so had to play the final 50 minutes on cautious after beginning with attacking, route one and ease off tackles – guess that last adjustment didn’t work all that well.

In addition to bringing in Boylan this month, Infinity also signed George Head (Maidstone, 2019) for some added depth on the right wing in case I had to continue to use Neligwa at striker, where he looked quite capable with two goals while posting a 7.7 and an 8.4.

Infinity now sits at 23-0-2 with an 18-point lead atop the Wessex League Division One table. The team has scored 93 goals while giving up only 28 – a 65-goal difference – and is on an 18-game league winning streak.

FEBRUARY 2022 – PARSONS CONTINUES RED HOT SEASON​

With the league title seemingly in the bag and promotion looking assured, I must think about who I want back for next season. Also, with our success teams are snooping around and most assuredly are looking to ****** away a few players.

Looking to get players committed to next season, I started by offering Parsons a part-time contract of $3,000 CDN (£1,700) a year plus clauses that would reward him appearances and goals. Yes, I am using Canadian dollars, as it is easier to get my head around the numbers but will give the U.K. sterling pounds equivalent because we are playing in England. He seems interested, now I just have to wait and see if he accepts or gets poached.

To start the month, Massaro records another brace as Infinity win 3-0 over Folland on Feb. 2.

Well, there goes the winning streak. It ends at 19 games as 11th place New Milton Town torch us for three first-half goals and a 3-2 win on Feb. 5. I started Parsons on the bench, which turned out to be a poor decision. He was brought on at half time and almost single-handedly brought Infinity back from the dead, finishing with two goals from seven shots and an XG of .77.

Following the game, Parsons agreed to a new contract and celebrated with Infinity fans with back-to-back hat tricks.

His first hat trick came in a 6-1 thumping of fourth-place Petersfield on Feb. 13. His third goal was the team’s 100th league goal of the season. That was followed by a 5-3 win over Newport (IOW) on Feb. 19. In the later game, playing on a sloppy pitch, I went with dribble less and very direct passing and outshot the promotion contenders 32-13.

Infinity finished off the month with a 3-0 win over Andover on Feb. 26. This ended a 29-game streak where the strikers had scored at least one goal. The last time any of my strikers were held off the scoresheet was a shutout loss back in mid-September.

One player move, Proudfoot, who had not appeared at all this season, had become the goaltender dispensable and when Chelmsley Town came calling, we let him go for free.

Last edited:

MARCH 2022 – INFINITY SHINES BRIGHTLY BUT LOSES ITS STAR​

Infinity sewed up the Wessex League Division One title with seven games to go in the season.

The month started off with a 3-0 win over Verwood on March 5 with Coombes getting a rare start in goal and posting his first clean sheet of the season.

The title clinching victory came on March 12, a dominate 6-2 win over Whitchurch United. Parsons and Massaro each scored twice in the win as the team posted a 7.60 rating, outshot their opponents 25-7 and out XG’d them 4.52-.0.54.

However, it was also a costly victory as Parsons was lost, possibly for the rest of the season, due to a calf strain late in the first half. His two goals brought him to 33 in 28 league appearances. The Tiverton native also has 12 assists in league play and an 8.37 league rating. You can add in another nine goals in eight Cup games to give the now 22-year-old 42 goals in 36 competitive appearances and an 8.36 average rating.

The team is going to miss him over the final six weeks, but his fellow players and fans know he will be back next summer when Infinity begins play in the Wessex Premier League.

As for the team, the offence didn’t miss a beat after Parsons went down, scoring 14 goals over the three remaining games in March, which included wins of 4-1 over Christchurch in a Wessex League Cup quarter-final on March 15, a 6-0 thrashing over Fleet Spurs on March 19 and another 4-1 victory over Millbrook on March 26, which featured a goal by Boylan at 17 seconds, breaking Neligwa’s 26-second strike from January for the team and Wessex League Division One record for fastest goal. It was a three-pass effort from the opening whistle, with fellow striker Massaro incisively sliding the ball to the penalty spot from the edge of the penalty box on left wing putting it onto Boylan’s right foot.

Closing out the month, a bit of a shocker – as I didn’t see it coming – as our No. 1 goaltender Arnold left the club, signing with Western League Division One Hengrove Athletic. The 6-foot-5 London native had made 30 league appearances for Infinity, had 12 clean sheets and a 7.10 rating.

We also lost our head physio Platt to Chertsey. Must be something special about our physios as both have been poached during the season for a 100 per cent turnover. Hopefully, we can quickly find a suitable replacement.

Last edited:
Hey,

I'll be reading along, but can you not just continue the story on the same thread? Really put me off reading it because you've done 7 seperate threads so far...

JULY 2021 – CROSSING MY FINGERS AND HOPING FOR THE BEST

Where to start?

Well, for the first season, I wanted only players born in the year 2000 or later. I decided to see if I could take a group of youngsters and develop them and keep them with the club for as many years as possible. This would not prove to be a popular decision with the board – more on that at the end of this storyline. I also put a request into the board for a tryout day – which was denied. This was not a great start. I might not even get to the first exhibition game with this type of attitude, I thought.

Okay, to the player search page I then went. I looked for any player that wasn’t tied down to a club who was currently in the United Kingdom. The list was promisingly extensive, so I started inviting players by position starting at the last line of defence. It soon became apparent that even though you might not have a team to play for with training camps looming, Infinity was not a priority option. I ended up with only two goaltenders that would consider signing. You’re in boys!

I fared little better at the other positions as the search went on throughout July. It wasn’t a matter of getting to pick and choose who I wanted on this squad but whether could I get enough players willing to sign up to even field a team by opening day.

The search was also on for staff that would fit into a simple and basic 442.

By the time the first exhibition game came into view, I had one player under contract, just 21 players in camp and still no staff. The result was a 2-1 loss to Godalming, also a 10th tier club who had enjoyed better days in the English pyramid. Only one player that day would go on to feature in my opening day roster, striker Brandon Parsons.

The first signing was defensive midfielder Luca Carter-Henry, who had spent the past two seasons in the Leyton Orient youth ranks. He joined the club on July 10. He did not feature in the first exhibition as he was already out of his trial contract and not with the club. I mention him because he was also a rarity as the signings progressed in that he played at a recognizable level the previous season.

Let me explain after I mention that we won our next two exhibitions as the team rotated triallists and I tried to get players signed. The results were 2-1 over Cowes Sports, a ninth level club in the County Leagues, and 1-0 over another level 10 club Melksham Town. By the time I finished our last exhibition game, a 1-1 tie with 10th level Chalvey Town, I had just 12 players and one coach on contracts or signed as non-contract players.

While I mentioned Carter-Henry had a playing resume that included time with a recognized organization the previous season, not so for a vast majority of those that I could cajole into signing either as a youth prospect or as a non-contract player. In the end, it looked like I spent my days recruiting from pickup games at neighbourhood parks.

Here would be the players in my starting lineup for the season opener, their previous affiliation and the year it ended (remember we are in July 2021): goalkeeper Peter Arnold (who was property of Woking up to 2019); right full back Daniel Carr (Oxford, 2018), left full back Jack Morrell (Ramsgate, 2020), central defenders Darren Abbey (Barnett, 2018) and Kian King (Kidderminster, 2019), right winger David Neligwa (Stratford, 2020), left winger Brett Callow (Kidderminster, 2020), central midfielders Jodi Simoni (Nuneaton Boro, 2019) and Mitch Thomas (Barnstaple, 2018), while up front featured Parsons (Exeter, 2018) and Joe Massaro (who Kettering had sent out on loan to four clubs over the previous three seasons). Only three players were on the bench, backup goaltender Sam Proudfoot (Downton, 2019), full back William Putt (who played for Basildon last season), and Carter-Henry.

I released Charlie Scanlon just eight days after he signed and just prior to the opening game as he was unhappy that he would not be the first choice at left back. He would go on to sign with Fareham Town in the Wessex Premier Division – hopefully our next step on this journey.

I did manage to sign some staff members just days before the season was set to begin. Joining Infinity as assistant manager is Gary Powell (who left Odd Down), goalkeeping coach Ada Gower (who left Canterbury), two physios James Platt and Jon Whittington, who all joined Harry Dixon, who was my first staff signing, coming in as a coach. I still had no scout nor a performance analyst, two more positions I had posted.

AUGUST 2021 –
WE HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF A SUCCESSFUL CAMPAIGN

It’s the eve of the opening game, it’s the opening press conference, but do I really believe that statement?

I thought it would be better to boost the players’ morale than hand out a reality check of “I have no bleeping idea what is going to happen on opening day, I just pray we don’t embarrass ourselves” which wasn’t on offer during the press conference leading into the opening game on the final day of July. The media prediction had us finishing 19th in the 20-team table. Yes! There might be one team worse than us.

So, opening day and it really is a complete unknown as we hosted Ash United, who were predicted to be a mid-table club. My new assistant manager while outlining opposition player instructions, which I dutifully followed, opined team wise we should go very attacking and use extremely direct passing. Why not give it a go, I thought? And so, we did!

We got what I thought was a lucky break 16 minutes into the contest when a goal kick from Arnold sailed over the heads of the Ash defenders and Parsons right-footed it past a hard-charging goaltender from the top of the penalty box. Callow would head home a cross from the top of the six-yard box to make it 2-0 at 21 minutes. Then just past the half hour Massaro belted a ball in off an Ash defender to put us up 3-0. It was a dream start!

In the second half, a second goal came for Parsons when he outraced the defence to a through ball from Thomas and touched it past the Ash goalkeeper for a 4-0 final. We finished with a 2.11 XG and 10 shots on target. So, with an unexpectedly impressive win out of the gate, the future is looking a lot brighter.

Our second game of the season, on Aug. 4, was another 4-0 win, this time over Andover. It was scoreless up to sixty minutes, then Massaro struck for two goals followed by Neligwa and Infinity was up 3-0 by 65 minutes. Parsons added an injury-time marker. Our XG was 3.68 as we outshot the visitors 29-11, with 13 shots on target. Wow!

Our third game was a 2-0 win over Fawley on Aug. 14., with Parsons and Massaro scoring, while Neligwa at right wing recorded a perfect 10. We outshot our hosts 37-3 and had an XG of 3.76. Our lineup had not changed during those three games, with the same players on the field and on the bench as we started the season. The only exception was Kang would see time at left full back to rest Morrell in the game against Fawley, but I really couldn’t affect any other changes. Nor was I going to rotate Arnold who now has started the season with three consecutive clean sheets.

All of this was totally unexpected, but very, very delightful as I went from “can we even win one game this season” to “we can’t lose!”

There were two additional staff signings during this time. We brought on a scout, finally, in Jeffrey Browne and a head performance analyst in Luke Ward.

Ward’s signing would prove invaluable in helping us craft our on-field identity. He went to work straight away, and we changed to a lower line of engagement and force the opposition outside to go along with very attacking and go route one (extremely direct passing) when we took on Ringwood Town on Aug. 21.

The game against Ringwood would be a wild one with Infinity prevailing 5-3 on two goals from Parsons followed by three goals from Callow – who is a more natural left back being pressed into playing left wing because we had no one else that could fill that role.

I should mention, that with only being part-time players, sometimes not even getting in any training sessions between games, that all training has been left to my assistant, although I reserved the ability to change things up should I think it warranted.

We did also sign two more players – or should I say we found players who would sign for us – in central midfielder Sam Green (Woking, 2019) and defender Kieron Loughney (Barnett, 2018). This allowed for some rotation to our original lineup, with Simoni moving to central defence as Green moved into the midfield. Loughney moved to right back in place of Carr.

SEPTEMBER 2021 – A BUMP IN THE ROAD

How long could the good times last?

As I was to find out, it would be the first day of September or 32 days – or in game time 444 minutes. Up 2-0 on goals by Thomas and Parsons, we let Folland Sports get one back in the 59th minute and then collapsed in the final 10 minutes giving up two more goals and losing 3-2. This was despite outshooting our hosts 28-14 (12-8 on target), out XG’ing them 2.42-2.08, and posting a higher average rating of 7.04-6.86.

Ward had recommended using a higher defensive line, which I went to in this game, but the experiment led to the two late goals as Folland forwards got in behind a tiring defence – still lacking defensive choices it looked like it would be a problem not quickly resolved through substitutions so I would move to a standard line of defence for much of the remainder of the season.

Joining Infinity on the first day of September was striker Lanre Balogun (free from Welwyn Garden City). His inclusion gave us now three strikers, allowing for some rotation, although Balogun did not get off the bench against Folland.

Another win, 2-1 over Laverstock & Ford with two goals by Parsons, who also had a third ruled out for offside, was followed by our second loss of the season, a 3-0 hammering from Romsey in which the team put in a miserable 6.52 performance despite outshooting its opposition 22-12. However, we were weak in the quality of shots, out XG’d 2.21-1.65, we’re beat in possession (52%-48%), passes completed (82%-79%), tackles won (82%-79%) … well you get the picture.

Between those two games though, Infinity played its first Cup game, taking on North West Counties League Division One North – how is that for a mouthful? – AFC Blackpool in a FA Vase First Qualifying Round match. In the most evenly matched game to date, Green’s give-and-go set up with Callow, led to Green busting in alone against the Blackpool goalkeeper and slotting the ball into the goal from near the penalty spot at 28 minutes, producing a 1-0 win.

Green, who is rated as a one-star performer, was only supposed to be a stop-gap player as I sought other options for his central midfielder role who was turning in consistently 7.4-plus performances in the early going.

Heading out of September, Infinity would defeat Penistone Church – I couldn’t make that name up – of the Northern Counties East League Premier Division 5-1 in an FA Vase Second Qualifying Round match, followed by a 6-4 victory over division rival Downton in the Wessex League Cup First Round.

Balogun came into the lineup and scored twice against Penistone, while fellow strikers Parsons and Massaro each had two goals against Downton. Neligwa posted his second perfect 10 of this campaign in the win over Downton.

Meanwhile, my new and only scout was not taking instruction very well, at least from his manager, as he keeps throwing overage (30 years plus) performers my way. It might make the board happy but not me as I keep discarding those choices, although I have been finding players born 2000 or later in his scouting bin that I do bring in on trial – but the players only seemed amused enough to train a few weeks with us before saying “thanks, but no thanks” and moving on.

OCTOBER 2021 – PARSONS TURNS INTO A SCORING PHENOM

Infinity posts five wins in five games in October led by an unstoppable force.

Parsons racked up two-goal performances in wins over New Milton (Oct. 2) 5-0, Petersfield (Oct. 9) 3-2 and Burscough (Oct. 23, FA Vase First Round) 5-2, then finished the month with a hat trick and a 10 rating in a 6-0 win over Andover on Oct. 31.

In the thrashing of Andover, Neligwa posted yet another 10 rating, while the team rating was 8.14 to go with an XG of 3.46, outshooting the home side 35-8.

In the other game of the month, Balogun scored twice in a 4-2 victory over Verwood, played on Oct. 27.

During the month, we used attacking and positive in our game-day strategies and introduced hit early crosses in the final three games of the month which helped us average five goals per game. I also started to tweak the positions, moving to two advanced forwards and reassigned one of my central midfielders, Thomas, to a mezzala role. Green, playing as a central midfielder, was put on automatic, with my two wingers on attack. The back line featured the central defenders on defend and the full backs on support although their duties were the most fluid depending on the recommendation by my assistant manager on how many attacking or defending duties I should assert for the game. I had started the campaign with my goaltender as a sweeper keeper but changed Arnold to a goalkeeper during October.

It was also during this run I realized I needed to start taking a step or two back once I had the lead to keep my players ready and healthy for the next games, so I started falling back to a balanced or even counter approach, while on occasion removing counter attack, lowering the tempo and slowing down the pace.

We exited the month with a league record of 9-0-2, holding down first place, however we are yet to play any of the top teams in the division.

I did add three more players to the roster while releasing one player. Coming in the door were left back Kamol Campbell (free from Boldmere), wide midfielder Dylan Gifford (Lewes, 2018) and right back Aaron Whitmore (Coventry, 2019). Heading out the door was Putt, who had made only six appearances but four off the bench during his time with the club.

NOVEMBER 2021 – LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

Seven games produced seven wins as only once was Infinity really challenged in the month.

Parsons continued to burn up opposition goals, scoring all three goals in a 3-0 Wessex League Cup Second Round tie with Verwood on Nov. 3.

Infinity had to stage a comeback in its next outing, a 4-2 win over Whitchurch on Nov. 6. Massaro and Thomas scored three minutes apart late in the first half to overturn a 2-1 deficit.

Another brace from Parsons and his eighth consecutive 8.0-plus performance – he was rested against Whitchurch – led Infinity to a 4-0 win over Fleet Spurs on Nov. 10.

Balogun comes through with a hat trick and a 9.9 rating in a 5-1 win over Newport (IOW) on Nov. 13.

Massaro scores my highlight goal of the season in the 89th minute to seal a 3-1 win over Millbrook on Nov. 17. The play began with Arnold punting the ball up field and Balogun putting his head on it, directing it to Massaro, who split the defenders for a breakaway, slotting the ball neatly past the opposition goaltender.

Then followed Infinity’s most challenging win of the season, a victory over Harefield United in the FA Vase Second Round on Nov. 20. Regulation time finished 1-1 and extra time saw each team score once, Infinity in the second minute and Harefield in the second to last minute. In penalties though, Infinity was unstoppable and Arnold made two saves for a 4-2 spot kick result.

Completing the month is a 4-0 victory over Bremerton Heath on Nov. 27 with Parsons scoring twice in the opening 15 minutes and finishing with another 10 rating.

I introduced three new players to the team in right winger Joe Seery (Plymouth, 2020), central midfielder Spencer Cripps (Bromley, 2020) and goalkeeper Tyler Coombes (free from Plymouth). Coombes I expected to be our No. 1 but he is going to have to be patient as I am not about to take out Arnold, who was averaging 7.12 this season and the team is winning with him between the posts.

Out went our starting right back from opening day, Carr, who would sign with the London Tigers. Carr made just five appearances for Infinity before asking for his release.

With five league wins, Infinity improved to 14-0-2 on the season, firmly entrenching the team in top spot in Wessex League Division One.

DECEMBER 2021 – A DECEMBER TO REMEMBER

Infinity is riding a 13-game undefeated streak entering the final month of 2021 and opened it with a 2-1 victory over Totton & Eling on Dec. 5 as the schedule finally brought us into contact with the other top teams in the division. The second-place team didn’t have an answer to our first half tactics that included very attacking, press with much more intensity, and ease off tackles. Goals from Parsons and Balogun put us up 2-0 at the break. I switched to cautious in the second half and gave up one goal. There were some disappointing numbers in that we only had 36 per cent possession, while our passing was just 80 per cent and tackling was just 53 per cent, however our XG was 2.92 compared to 1.17 and Infinity outshot T&E 28-18 (10-7 on target).

The worrying signs in the previous game, manifested themselves into a near complete breakdown in an FA Vase Third Round tie against Eastwood Community – a midtable United Counties League Premier Division North squad – on Dec. 14. Up 2-1 after just 24 minutes, the roof caved in and four consecutive goals led to a 5-2 defeat and there goes one trophy. Infinity did manage to outshoot Eastwood 21-13 with a 10-5 edge on target, but we were out XG’d 2.20-1.58.

The month finished off with three more league games.

Gifford gave an unexpected but pleasing performance in a 4-3 win over Ash United on Dec. 18. The left winger scored three goals. You haven’t read much about him since I announced his signing. If you recall, he was signed back in October, only to get injured in his first start a few days later. He got back into the lineup for the first time in this game, filling in at left wing for Callow, who was being rested for just the second time this season. The first time Callow was out of the starting lineup this season was the game Gifford started and got injured.

Massaro would give Infinity a hat trick performance in a 5-2 win over Downton on Dec. 26. This was the first league game this season we were outshot by the opposition, 23-21 (although it was 11-13 on target) but the players were brave enough to grab a team rating of 7.50 compared to 6.69 for Downton.

To finish off 2021, goals by Massaro in the first half and Parsons in the second half, with Arnold posting his ninth clean sheet, helped Infinity to a 2-0 win over East Cowes Vics on Dec. 29.

Heading into 2022, Infinity is 17-0-2 in the league play and headed to the third round of the Wessex League Cup. Parsons leads all scorers with 22 league goals and has nine cup goals and an 8.3 average rating.

The other two strikers have been no slouches either with Massaro at 15 goals (10 in league play) and a 7.61 rating, and Balogun with 11 goals (nine in league play).

Equally impressive has been Neligwa, with the right winger turning into a free and corner kick God. He has seven goals and 19 assists and an 8.13 rating. During this 13-game winning league run, the 20-year-old London native has never been below a 7.3 rating.

Some might be wondering how I set up my corner kicks. It is pretty basic, with one central defender lurking near post, the other attacking far post, one striker lurking near post and the other striker attacking from the edge of the penalty spot. Also one of my central midfielders is marking the goaltender and the other is lurking outside the area. I put two men back and the other player, which is usually the left winger is set to stay back if necessary. The corner kicker, in my case Neligwa, is set to mixed kicks as I am not blessed with a great amount of height – my tallest outfield player is Parsons at six-foot-two – nor are they great jumpers.

I could probably do more with free kicks, which are at the default stage, but the team is doing quite well without any modifications, so I haven’t messed with it to date. The same goes with Infinity's defence of corrner kicks and free kicks.

Only one player move during the month, Rubyn Gill (Leicester, 2018) was brought in to add to the numbers in central defence.

JANUARY 2022 – THE INJURY BUG RAISES ITS HEAD

I suppose it was only a matter of time before a string of injuries would hit the club, as Infinity was rather fortunate that it had so few in the opening five months of the season – only Gifford was unavailable for a prolonged period of time. So, I shouldn’t have been that surprised when Balogun went down with a twisted knee on Jan. 1, but it was followed by Parsons with a pulled hamstring a week later. Within eight days, I was reduced to one striker. Luckily, I had Callum Boylan (released by Basildon United) on a trial, and so I signed him, only to have the 19-year-old London native go down with a twisted knee in his first game on Jan. 15. Now that really fried my bologna – which might be a Canadian thing only – having three strikers go down in short order.

I was forced to move Neligwa into an advanced forward role to keep from having to change Infinity’s formation because I did not want to mess with a good thing. And it worked! Especially, since Massaro stepped up his game and scored a brace in four of six games played during the month.

In league action, Massaro would score twice in a 4-0 win over Andover on Jan. 1, then twice more in a 6-1 win over Fawley on Jan. 8.

Then it was a Wessex League Cup Third Round tie on Jan. 11 and a 3-0 win over Bashley. Infinity outshot its Wessex Premier League opponent 24-8. In his first game as a striker, Neligwa would score in the 84th minute.

Two goals from each of Massaro and Abbey, who did it off a pair of headers from Neligwa free kicks, led to a 5-1 thrashing of Ringwood Town on Jan. 15.

Infinity then beat Laverstock & Ford 3-1 on Jan. 22. The highlight being Neligwa, playing his second game as an advanced forward, scoring at just 26 seconds. Off the opening kick, Callow would cross from the left wing to Massaro just below the penalty spot, who one-timed the ball towards goal, with Neligwa at a more advanced position having the ball deflect off his raised left foot into the goal.

Finishing off the month was a 2-1 win over Romsey on Jan. 30, with Massaro scoring both goals. We were up 2-0 when Gill took a second yellow and so had to play the final 50 minutes on cautious after beginning with attacking, route one and ease off tackles – guess that last adjustment didn’t work all that well.

In addition to bringing in Boylan this month, Infinity also signed George Head (Maidstone, 2019) for some added depth on the right wing in case I had to continue to use Neligwa at striker, where he looked quite capable with two goals while posting a 7.7 and an 8.4.

Infinity now sits at 23-0-2 with an 18-point lead atop the Wessex League Division One table. The team has scored 93 goals while giving up only 28 – a 65-goal difference – and is on an 18-game league winning streak.

FEBRUARY 2022 – PARSONS CONTINUES RED HOT SEASON

With the league title seemingly in the bag and promotion looking assured, I must think about who I want back for next season. Also, with our success teams are snooping around and most assuredly are looking to pilfer a few players.

Looking to get players committed to next season, I started by offering Parsons a part-time contract of $3,000 CDN (£1,700) a year plus clauses that would reward him appearances and goals. Yes, I am using Canadian dollars, as it is easier to get my head around the numbers but will give the U.K. sterling pounds equivalent because we are playing in England. He seems interested, now I just have to wait and see if he accepts or gets poached.

To start the month, Massaro records another brace as Infinity win 3-0 over Folland on Feb. 2.

Well, there goes the winning streak. It ends at 19 games as 11th place New Milton Town torch us for three first-half goals and a 3-2 win on Feb. 5. I started Parsons on the bench, which turned out to be a poor decision. He was brought on at half time and almost single-handedly brought Infinity back from the dead, finishing with two goals from seven shots and an XG of .77.

Following the game, Parsons agreed to a new contract and celebrated with Infinity fans with back-to-back hat tricks.

His first hat trick came in a 6-1 thumping of fourth-place Petersfield on Feb. 13. His third goal was the team’s 100th league goal of the season. That was followed by a 5-3 win over Newport (IOW) on Feb. 19. In the later game, playing on a sloppy pitch, I went with dribble less and very direct passing and outshot the promotion contenders 32-13.

Infinity finished off the month with a 3-0 win over Andover on Feb. 26. This ended a 29-game streak where the strikers had scored at least one goal. The last time any of my strikers were held off the scoresheet was a shutout loss back in mid-September.

One player move, Proudfoot, who had not appeared at all this season, had become the goaltender dispensable and when Chelmsley Town came calling, we let him go for free.

Last edited:

MARCH 2022 – INFINITY SHINES BRIGHTLY BUT LOSES ITS STAR

Infinity sewed up the Wessex League Division One title with seven games to go in the season.

The month started off with a 3-0 win over Verwood on March 5 with Coombes getting a rare start in goal and posting his first clean sheet of the season.

The title clinching victory came on March 12, a dominate 6-2 win over Whitchurch United. Parsons and Massaro each scored twice in the win as the team posted a 7.60 rating, outshot their opponents 25-7 and out XG’d them 4.52-.0.54.

However, it was also a costly victory as Parsons was lost, possibly for the rest of the season, due to a calf strain late in the first half. His two goals brought him to 33 in 28 league appearances. The Tiverton native also has 12 assists in league play and an 8.37 league rating. You can add in another nine goals in eight Cup games to give the now 22-year-old 42 goals in 36 competitive appearances and an 8.36 average rating.

The team is going to miss him over the final six weeks, but his fellow players and fans know he will be back next summer when Infinity begins play in the Wessex Premier League.

As for the team, the offence didn’t miss a beat after Parsons went down, scoring 14 goals over the three remaining games in March, which included wins of 4-1 over Christchurch in a Wessex League Cup quarter-final on March 15, a 6-0 thrashing over Fleet Spurs on March 19 and another 4-1 victory over Millbrook on March 26, which featured a goal by Boylan at 17 seconds, breaking Neligwa’s 26-second strike from January for the team and Wessex League Division One record for fastest goal. It was a three-pass effort from the opening whistle, with fellow striker Massaro incisively sliding the ball to the penalty spot from the edge of the penalty box on left wing putting it onto Boylan’s right foot.

Closing out the month, a bit of a shocker – as I didn’t see it coming – as our No. 1 goaltender Arnold left the club, signing with Western League Division One Hengrove Athletic. The 6-foot-5 London native had made 30 league appearances for Infinity, had 12 clean sheets and a 7.10 rating.

We also lost our head physio Platt to Chertsey. Must be something special about our physios as both have been poached during the season for a 100 per cent turnover. Hopefully, we can quickly find a suitable replacement.

APRIL 2022 – WINDING DOWN A SENSATIONAL CAMPAIGN

The month started off with a pair of left-sided fullbacks deciding their futures would be better served elsewhere. Morrell signed with Gillingham. The top-rated player and vice-captain never lived up to the expectations of being a team leader on and off the field. He appeared in 29 games but had just three assists and a 6.88 rating. Kang left for Redhill. The 21-year-old played in 16 league games although almost all of those appearances were in the first three months of the season, scored one goal and had a 6.86 rating.

Infinity began the month with a 3-1 home loss to third-place Bremerton Heath on April 3 – ending its season-long 17-game home winning streak – and bounced back with a 2-1 road win over second-place Totton & Eling on April 9. With two league games remaining, the team could still break the league record for wins (33) and goals (134), all set by Tadley in the 2007-08 season. With 32 wins and 131 goals the records seem within reach. Infinity would also have to win both its remaining league games to tie the points record of 102 – also held by Tadley.

The run of league games was interrupted by a Wessex League Cup semifinal test with Baffins Milton on April 12. The game result meant the end of another trophy run, as Baffins Milton played Infinity off the park, although the final score was only 2-1. Massaro did give us a 1-0 lead five minutes in but that was the end of the highlights. We did get some surprisingly good news before of the game, Parsons was ready to be inserted into the lineup and he played the entire 90 minutes, although his finishing didn’t look game polished he did come close a few times late in the contest. It is good to be young as he healed up a lot quicker than originally predicted.

That just left the two league-games to finish out this season.

The first of those came against 17th-place Dowton on April 16. Infinity found itself down 2-0 after six minutes but roared back for a 4-2 win and eclipsed the league scoring total of 134 goals to go 135 with one game to play. The victory tied the league record of 33 wins. Massaro scored the final two goals to go to 29 in league play (36 total in all competitions). Downton’s Declan McGregor scored once and leads the league with 38 goals (39 in all competitions). Parsons didn’t dress for this game and sits on 33 league goal (42 in all competitions).

I introduced one youth player into the lineup, Kieren Elliot, who at 16 years old became the youngest ever player for Infinity. He came off the bench to play midfield the final 20 minutes and scored a 7.2 rating. Elliot was one of four youth players I offered contracts to during the youth tryouts. The others being 16-year-old goalkeeper Ronan Tivey, who is already is 6-foot-4, and another pair of midfielders in 16-year-old Micky Fenton and 15-year-old Kevin Biggs, who can also play at striker.

Loughney agreed to a new contract through next season. He has appeared in 21 games as a right fullback and 18 games in central defence, putting out a 7.10 rating and even has four goals to his credit – all off headers despite being just 5-foot-10.

On the staff side, one scout left, Jeffrey Browne to become a head scout at Sevenoaks, and his replacement is 30-year-old Jonah Gosling.

Onto the final game of the season. The season best eleven would start the game against East Cowes Vic on April 23 and they lived up their billings recording a 5-0 victory with Massaro scoring the opening three goals inside of 21 minutes. Those goals – a header off a cross, a breakaway goal and a penalty-spot kick – gave him 32 league goals on the season. Parsons would score to finish with 34 league goals. Neligwa had the other goal. It was his eighth league goal and 12th in all competitions.

The victory gave Infinity 34 league victories, a Wessex League Division One record. The team did not record a tie all season finishing 34-0-4.

This truly turned into a memorable season. Infinity finished with 102 points, 23 more than second place Bremerton Heath, who went 24-7-7 for 79 points.

Surprisingly, maybe, neither Parsons or Massaro would top the goal scoring charts, but rather the aforementioned McGregor, who finished with the same number of goals as his age, 42.

Parsons would edge McGregor for overall rating – 8.36 to 8.15 – with Neligwa third at 8.03.

It wasn’t even close when it came to setting up goals, with Neligwa’s 31 assists more than double the next best in the league.

With so many talented players it would inevitable that the most player or the match award would go elsewhere and so it was McGregor taking that with 15. For Infinity, Parsons and Massaro each had eight with Neligwa finishing with seven.

Arnold, who we mentioned left before the final month of the season, topped all goaltenders for clean sheets with 12.

On the team side, Infinity was first in every major category that matters including goals with a whopping 140 (an average of 3.68 per game).

As for the Infinity individual awards, Parsons was the player of the season and young player of the season while Neligwa was chosen as the best signing of the season.

The manager was given an A- by the board, who despite proving you could dominate with a youthful squad were still not onboard with most of my signings this season. No player rated higher than a C in their opinion – that being Balogun – while Parsons’ performance only rated a D. Harrumph! To them, I say.

All-in-all not a bad first season.

Now Infinity is ready to rocket into the Wessex Premier League.

EPILOGUE – THE GREAT BEYOND AWAITS

I know that some people like to see pictures, so I have included a couple here.

Infinity by the numbers:

Infinity squad 2021-22.jpg

The final Wessex League Division One table:

Wessex League Division One 2021-22.jpg

The best 11:

Infinity lineup 2021-22.jpg

For some reason, the game gave out Arnold’s and Morrell’s numbers for their new teams. Go figure! Anyways, to refresh your memories (although only league appearances can be recalled in the history panel): Arnold made 30 appearances, gave up 32 goals, had 12 clean sheets and a 7.10 rating; Morrell made 29 appearances, had three assists and 6.88 rating.

I almost forgot to include this, so it arrives here at the end of the story, the financial picture at the end of the season isn’t all that rosy – although it is very red. We finished $93,175 CDN (£53,751) in debt as our total income for the season was $68,369 CDN (£39,440). Our average paid attendance at Clayfields was a whopping 45.

This adventure took longer than I originally anticipated due to Covid and the effects of the long form of the illness I have been enduring – some days it was a task, although an enjoyable one to play. I hope that some of you find this story entertaining and maybe even helpful and/or amusing.

I will endeavour to carry on with this save for a few more seasons, although I will try to keep the stories briefer than this first season.

To everyone that took the time to read this, thank you. Feel free to comment but please keep it family friendly.

All the best in your FM saves.

Rusty Gate

Last edited:
Hey,

I'll be reading along, but can you not just continue the story on the same thread? Really put me off reading it because you've done 7 seperate threads so far...
Yes, I was a knucklehead in that I formatted the entire storyline the wrong way. I do thank you for making sure I correct myself moving forward. Thank you for taking the time to read, I will endeavour to do better in the future.