• CSKA Moscow

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
October 2012

Out of the Champions League already?

The first match of the month saw me travel to Turin to take on the Old Lady of Italian football, Juventus. The first incident of note was a goal for the home side coming from Alessandro Matri, with Reus equalising ten minutes later. Mirko Vucinic scored just before half time to give Juve the lead going into the break. Matri scored again ten minutes into the second half to put our Champion's League hopes on a knife edge. Gotze gave us a glimmer of hope with a goal in the 80th minute only for Giaccherini to put the final nail in the coffin a minute later. Two games in and two defeats the 'group of death' was living up to it's reputation.

The next game was a high scoring draw at the AWD-Arena, Hannover. Goals from Gotze, Lewandowski and Reus secured us a hard earned point against the high flying Roten.

Back to winning ways and the return of a key player.

The next three matches saw us take on Gladbach and Zenit at the Westfalenstadion followed by a tricky away fixture to Schalke.

The first game remained goalless until half time when I reminded the lads that more was expected. Lewandowski immediately delivered and goals from Grosskreutz and Santana sealed the victory against last years surprise package in the Borussen Derby.

Next was my opportunity to get some points on the board by entertaining arguably the weakest team in my group, Zenit St Petersberg. A Lewandowski hat trick sealed the win for us with Zenit scoring from a freak own goal by Sebastian Kehl. Our case was further helped by the sending off of Lombaerts. Looking at the group at this point we were far from out of it. Admittedly we were last on 3 points but with Zenit and Juve on four points and Barca only on 5 qualification was far from out of our reach.

The following match saw the first start of the season for Ilkay Gundogan following a long lay off with an achilles problem. He didn't disappoint and scored within 8 minutes to give us the win in the Revier Derby against our fiercest rivals.

The final match of the month saw us entertain FC Erzgebirge Aue in the German Cup. A rotated squad saw a brace from Perisic complement a Reus goal to secure an easy win at the Westfalenstadion.

All in all the month in the league was a successful one, with important wins against Schalke and Monchengladbach the form in the Champion's League has been disappointing and hopefully this will pick up. To be honest my main focus is the league, I won't be able to challenge until my defence is stronger, particularly the full backs. The month saw me end on top of the table so I can't complain too much.

Results:

View attachment 280641

Table

View attachment 280642

November 2012

A busy month

November saw eight fixtures including two in the Champion's League.

The first fixture of the month saw us entertain Furth at the Westfalenstadion and for them to gift us with an early own goal from Mavraj. The match was uneventful with Gotze grabbing an extra goal at the death of the match.

Four days later the squad faced the trip to the beautiful city of St Petersburg to play the big spending Zenit. The match began badly for us when Piszczek decided the best way to defend a corner was to push Bruno Alves over, Shirokov scored the resulting penalty. The match went from bad to worse with Kerzhakov scoring after 15 minutes. Lewandowski managed to score 3 minutes later but this was only a blip for Zenit. They went on to score four more, soundly thrashing us, we were played off the park. Kerzhakov even managed a hat trick, that's how bad we were.

Trying to bounce back

The next two matches saw us play Mainz at their home and host Freiburg.

Against Mainz we conceded in the 29th minute, with Subotic equalising ten minutes later. On the stroke of half time Piszczek again decided pushing someone over was how to defend and the resulting penalty kick was converted by Polanski. Lewandowski managed to get a goal back in the second half to secure us a solitary point for our travels.

The next match provided us with some joys as we beat a poor Freiburg side with a second string side, Schemlzer and Schieber grabbing the goals to secure the three points.

A poor end to the month

The month ended badly with only one point from four games. This bad run began with a comprehensive defeat at the Nou Camp. I was unsurprisingly dominated by Barca to put my Champion's League hopes to bed with a Busquets double either side of a Messi goal to finally eliminate us from the competition and leave us languishing at the bottom of Group H.

Next we had the task of travelling to Dusseldorf in a match we were expected to win, not least by myself. They hit us on the counter and defended brilliantly despite going down to ten men early on to take all three points in what could be a crucial victory for them in their fight against relegation.

In the match that followed we secured our only point of the run with a 2-2 draw against HSV, a Blaszczykowski goal followed by a Gundogan penalty securing a point against the strong Rothosen. The only positive here was a fight back from 2-0 down to secure a point.

The final match of the month saw us travel to league leaders Wolfsburg...we shouldn't have bothered. We were outplayed from start to finish with not a single positive to take from the performance.

All in all a poor month but we are still within a shot of the title and with some money in January/summer we should be able to challenge in Europe a bit better next season. Dzagoev joins in a month and if I can offload Perisic or Grosskreutz along with one of my current full backs I might be able to strengthen my defence a little.

Results

View attachment 280643

Table

View attachment 280644

December 2012

A quiet month

The first game of the month saw me play a meaningless fixture against Juventus in the Champion's League. I put out a total B team and got beaten 2-1 with the sole goal coming from Julian Schieber.

The next match was a league game against Hoffenheim who were helping Augsburg keep up the foot of the table. My boys quickly scored 2 goals with a Lewandowski opener and a Hummels penalty. Hoffenheim gained some ground when Piszczek gave away his 3rd penalty in quick succession. Hummels then missed the chance to further extend the lead by missing his second penalty of the game. A goal from Gotze before half time gave me a 3-1 lead to take into the break. Two Blaszczykowski goals in the second half secured a convincing win against the league strugglers.

The final league game before the winter break was away to Augsburg who were holding up the entire First Division. We started brightly with Lewandowski and Blaszczykowski scoring before half time to take us into the break 2-0 up. A Reus brace followed by Blaszczykowski's second led to us being 5-0 up before de Jong managed to grab them a consolation.

The final competitive match for me before the Christmas holidays was against Second Division side Dresden in the third round of the German Cup. Since the players were about to have a break from competitive football I played a full strength squad to ensure the win. But then....complacency struck. Reus gave us the lead early on only for us to fall 2-1 down before half time. Lewandowski equalised in the second half to take the game to extra time. Kitambala managed to strike in the 98th minute to give Dresden a deserved win and dump us out the cup.

December was not a season of good cheer for me. While it was important to get the league form back on track getting dumped out of the cup at this stage is unacceptable. For my next competitive fixture I will have Alan Dzagoev who has arrived on a free. There was also a friendly with Metz I didn't mention.

Results

View attachment 280645

Table

View attachment 280646

Just a quick update, it's mid-January and there's been no competitive fixtures so far this month. Dzagoev has arrived and I'll look at playing him soon. Llorente will arrive on a free at the end of the season so I'll be trying to incorporate him, Gotze, Lewandowski, Reus, Blaszczykowski, Gundogan, Grosskreutz, Perisic and Dzagoev and still leave some room for some defensive players in the team! I've been given a transfer budget of 5m and going to look at a full back to replace either Schmelzer or Piszczek or at least give them some competition for their places.

Cancelled my order of FM '13 so this thread is finished I believe :).