To the 4-1-2-2-1 people out there: How do you get your striker scoring?

diabolicpanda

Reaction score
Hi there

I'm trying to work out an effective highpressing and attacking 4-1-2-2-1. Don't get my wrong - it's winning me matches and it's happy days at Liverpool FC, but I'm encountering two problems I would really like to improve on.

One is opposition wideplayers getting far too many assists from crosses they should never have been able to deliver, but this is covered here: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...eriencing-hopelessly-overpowered-crosses.html

What I would like to get some oppinions here is how to get your single striker getting scoring goals.

I play classic mode, but my roles are roughly so:

D R/L: Wingbacks on support
DM: defensive midfielder
M CR: Box to box
M LC: Attacking midfielder or advanced playmaker attack
AM L: A mix between inside forward and advanced playmaker support
AM R: Winger on attack

And now to the important part. The striker.

I know that in a 4-1-2-2-1 your striker need to join the link up play. No poachers here. From the false nine of Barcelona to the physical precence of a targetman'ish Drogba in Mourinho's Chelsea side. This guy needs to be able to do a bit of everything really. Go deep and hold up the ball either through technique or strengh. Create chances for others, make chances on his own, and finally get on the end of through balls and crosses.

As soon as the funds allowed it, I went for one of the best players suited for the job IMO. Let me present to you Leandro Damião:

View attachment 298510

He's fast, he's agile, he's strong, he's flairy, he's mobile, he's able to pass a ball, he's able to take on a man, he's able to finish moves both with his feet and his head - he's the whole package really.

In FM12 playing him as a lone striker in a complete forward role was a sure 20+ goal and 15+ assist thing - granted the move in to channels thing was overpowered. In FM13 I'm struggling to get him scoring. Often he has no more than one or two shots a game when the team has 20+.

I've played him like this to start with:

Team mentality of 14 or raised to 18 as the highest in the team
Run from deep: Mixed
Run with ball: Mixed
Through balls: Mixed
Hold up ball and short passing

Here he's very involved. He draws defenders out to make room for teammates to run into. That is - off course - not bad, but he scores almost no goals himself, and let's face it: 30 million £ is pretty expensive for a decoy.

Now I'm playing him on teammentality of 14
Run from deep: Often
Run with ball: Often
Try through balls: Often
Roam from position

Pretty much like a complete forward. This way I want him to come deep (roam from position and mentality) but also lead the line when it's called for (forward runs). It has made little difference. It has notched up his assist count a bit, but he's still not scoring nearly enough.

He's only been in my squad for half a season, so it may be down to teamblending, but I would like to get some advice from the tactical geniusses of the forum regardless.

How do you get your lone striker scoring?

View attachment 298525View attachment 298526

I know the cm isnt in the dm position like your tactic, but this is how I have set up my striker, and as you can see Neymar is doing the job for me 36 goals in 28 matches overall isnt too bad i guess.

I have reduced long shots to rarely on all of my midfielders to try and get more balls into the striker instead of wayward long shots messing up play

Wow. Looks class. Which strategy are you using? I have no longshots on any player either. One are unlearning it as PPM though.

Here's my tactic here, my striker has been top scorer every season since I got it to its current state. Though I am considering dropping the middle cm to a deeplying playmaker in a 41221 to try and improve the defending further

Here's my tactic here, my striker has been top scorer every season since I got it to its current state. Though I am considering dropping the middle cm to a deeplying playmaker in a 41221 to try and improve the defending further

Thank you very much.

With inspiration from your tactic I set up both widemen as support wingers and keep both central midfielders with mixed run from deep. One as an attacking playmaker, one as box to box on support. The idea being that keeping more possesion will unstabalize the defence thus opening up space for Damião to run into as he is now the only one who burst into space on a regular basis after coming deep.

Wow.

60 % possesion in CL quarter final and three goals from Damião, two from through balls one from a cross. I hope it'll keep on working.

Thanks for the feedback.

grats mate, I'm glad it helped you out and good luck on future success :)