To the Premier League and Beyond - A Rams Story

PRE-SEASON 2013

training4x3129-273410_478x359.jpg

So pre-season is over and we're coming up to the new campaign, one which brings with it renewed optimism as we once again attempt to have a push at the play-offs.

So, where to start! Mid-way through June it was decided I would have 450k to spend on new players, and no extra wage money, meaning I would have to make my own room for new players by selling off some of our own. So here are the players that leave the club:

PlayerClub toPrice
James O'ConnorIpswich£350k
Adam LegzdinsBlackpool£275k
Nathan TysonCeltic£275k
Conor DoyleTorquayFree
Gareth Roberts-Released
Ben Davies-Released
Theo Robinson-Released
James Bailey-Released
Mason BennettRangersLoan
Tom NaylorYeovilLoan
Michael HogansonRotherhamLoan
£900k

So fortunately I was able to make up some cash and free up some wages in order to add some quality players to the side. A comprehensive shortlist had been drawn up and despite missing out on some key targets, I am happy with what we have brought to the club.

Hennion Cyril (21 years old) on a Free Transfer from OGC Nice
images

Hennion is a very talented young left winger, with bags of pace and great technical ability. Michael Jacobs struggled to hold down a spot on the left last season so he is under pressure to perform with a new competitor joining the side. Will be following his progress with great interest.

Jonathon Bond (20 years old) on a Free Transfer from Watford
rovers-sign-keeper-bond_large.jpg

Very happy with this deal. To get such a talented keeper of his age on a free for less wages than Adam Legzdins is a steal and I'm sure he can even go on to push Fielding for a place in the starting XI.

Alan Judge (24 years old) on a Free Transfer from Notts County
_65843838_pa-14657205.jpg

Alan is a player we had tracked for a number of months. He brings cover across the midfield and also excellent quality. At 24, he is ready to make the step up and I'm confident he will be a great signing for the club.

Simon Church (24 years old) on a Free Transfer from Reading
Simon-Church-006.jpg

Simon joined on loan at the end of last season and impressed with his work rate and his link up play. We are delighted to announce his move on a permanent basis and hopefully he will be able to add to his Welsh caps.

Barry Douglas (23 years old) for £130,000 from Dundee United
35617_barry%20large.jpg

Barry is a technically sound full-back, though there are question marks on his defensive capabilities. Brought in to fill the void left by Miquel Velom.

Danny Potts (20 years old) on a Season Long Loan from West Ham United
1576227649.jpg

A far more conventional full back, Danny has fantastic energy and is a hard worker. Will compete with Douglas for the left back birth and can also play on the right.

Dorian Klonoridis (20 years old) on a Season Long Loan from LOSC Lille Metropole
188617-lille-klonaridis-240113.jpg

Dorian is a French winger who can play on either the left or right, adding depth to this position and giving Jamie Ward some competition on the wings. He is highly rated by the Lille coaching staff and hopefully this loan can kick start his career.
_______

I am pleased with what we were able to bring into the club, because they are the right characters to take the side forward. I believe in their potential and hopefully they are good enough this season to compete for the promotion spots.

Here are our pre-season results:

Chesterfield 3 - 5 Derby County
Hendrick, Judge, Church (3)

Mansfield 0 - 1 Derby County
Hughes

Notts County 1 - 4 Derby County
Ball (2), Coutts, Hendrick

Burton 0 - 2 Derby County
Bryson (2)

Okay, pre-season results (especially against lower league opposition) don't mean too much but I am encouraged by how hard the players worked, the good performances and the depth of quality I now have available.

In squad news, we welcomed back Callum Ball from his loan spell at Coventry and we have decided he is now at a stage where he can make the step up to senior level. So congratulations to him.

Also, John Brayford, with a year to go on his contract has decided he would like to leave. Whilst we are in talks over a new contract, it looks like he may well be moving on before the expiration of his current deal, so we are bracing ourselves.

Onto the new season!

735728_Derby_County.jpg

Last edited:
AUGUST 2013

View attachment 354033

The new season is underway, and I couldn't be happier with how we are performing! The team has come together nicely and put in some top performances this month so long may that continue.

Bristol City 1 - 2 Derby County
Championship
Ward, Judge
A nice start to the season, as we came from a goal down to win. Stead's header gave Bristol the lead but Jamie Ward equalised moments later before new signing Alan Judge raced through to slide home the winning goal on his debut.

Gillingham 1 - 2 Derby County
Capital One Cup 1st Round
Ball, Judge
Having gone out in the first round of the Capital One Cup last season I was determined not to see that happen again. We went a goal down early on and I feared the worst, but youngster Callum Ball rose highest to head home the equaliser and then late on Alan Judge buried his second goal for the club to send us through to the next round.

Derby County 0 - 3 Reading
Championship
Oh dear, this was a poor performance and no mistake, worryingly akin to some of our sloppy displays last season. Heads were rolling after this game, that's for sure. We cannot afford this kind of performance. Hunt bagged 2 with Danny Guthrie scoring the other for Reading.

Crystal Palace 1 - 3 Derby County
Championship
Ball (2), Judge
Stern words were had after the Reading game and it made a difference as we saw off Palace, going three nil up. Callum Ball scored his first league goal with a nice finish before soon doubling his tally with a header. Alan Judge bagged his third goal and Palace hit a late consolation. Great win though.

Derby County 1 - 1 Huddersfield
Championship
Ward
Second home game without a win but we were lucky anyway. Jamie Ward gave us the lead with a wonderful solo goal, but Danny Ward pegged it back for Huddersfield who had a number of chances but were thwarted by the excellent Bond.

Derby County 2 - 0 Port Vale
Capital One Cup 2nd Round
Church (2)
A great performance from our second string side as they saw off Port Vale comfortably. Simon Church hit his first goal since joining permanently in the summer before heading a Hennion cross into the far corner.

Derby County 4 - 0 Norwich
Championship
Church, Bryson (2), Hughes
Boom! Recently relegated Norwich were no match for my flying Rams as we smashed them for our first home win of the campaign. Simon Church scored his first league goal before Bryson doubled the advantage. In the second half Will Hughes slotted home a corner and then Bryson made it 4 late on. What a result!

A much better start to the season than last campaign and I am delighted by the chemistry of the team already. Alan Judge has become a vital player almost instantly, whilst the competition up front between Sammon, Church and Ball is intense, exactly how it needs to be.

But we need to keep our feet on the ground. The play-offs is what we want and that requires consistency. I think we have the quality, but it's now about showing that we have the character. We will see that over the course of the next few months.

We face Arsenal in the next round of the Capital One Cup so I don't expect too much to happen there, though I will field a full strength side.

Also Adeyemi joins on a free transfer from Norwich to bolster our midfield after missing out on Maurice Edu because of a work permit issue. He is the final piece in our team.

Finally, my player of the month has to be the surprise nomination of Jason Bond. Jason got his chance in the Cup and performed so well that he took over from Fielding after the debacle against Reading and he hasn't looked back, performing excellently every time he pulls on the shirt. We have potentially found a steal here.
jonathan-bond150x150.jpg

END OF MONTH POSITION: 5th

NameG
Callum Ball3
Alan Judge3
Simon Church3
Craig Bryson2
Jamie Ward2

Great story so far. Hopefully you'll have better luck whilst going for promotion next season.

SEPTEMBER 2013

View attachment 354042

We continued our good form into this month with some solid displays. I am delighted with how much sturdier we look and if we can continue to grind out results the way we have been then we are in for a good season.

Barnsley 1 - 2 Derby County
Championship
Ward, Judge
We saw Barnsley off here with a fair bit of ease. Taking the lead through the impressive Jamie Ward, we were immediately pegged back but kept on the pressure and that man Alan Judge popped up once more to score a priceless winner. Ward had the chance to double his tally from the spot but had his shot kick saved by Alnwick.

Bolton Wanderers 1 - 3 Derby County
Championship
Ball, Hughes (2)
Bolton have dropped in recent years but this was still expected to be a tough game. Instead, we raced into a 3 goal lead courtesy of two local academy lads, Ball racing on to Hendrick's ball to slot home before Hughes flicked in a free-kick and then side footed home Ward's cut back. Top result.

Derby County 1 - 1 Wolves
Championship
Judge
This was a tough game which we struggled to get to grips with. Sako started the game off early on with a lovely finish and from then on it looked like they were the ones who would go on and win. But late on substitute Alan Judge fired in an absolute beauty from 25 yards to steal a point.

Derby County 1 - 1 Blackpool
Championship
Bryson
We got a taste of our own medicine in this game, taking the lead early on against Blackpool through Bryson only to be pegged back in the 92nd minute of the game, as Adam Le Fondre slammed home Ince's cut back. 2 important points dropped.

Derby County 1 - 3 Arsenal
Capital One Cup 3rd Round (AET)
Coutts
What a performance. After going behind to Okore's header in the first half, we came out and threw the kitchen sink at Arsenal. Coutts' scored a lovely finish after being played in by Connor Sammon before both Keogh and Gjokaj hit the post from headers. Into extra time though, Arsenal's quality shone through as Oxlade-Chamberlain scored twice to send the Premier League side through.

Derby County 1 - 0 Leicester
Championship
Bryson
Another goal for Bryson but this time we hold on for victory in this Midlands derby. Bryson tapped home after just 5 minutes and from there on we had to hold on. Just 3 days after the Arsenal game which went to extra time, the boys were clearly nackered and with a few fringe players coming into the side, this was a really important performance.

Things are coming along nicely in the league, performances have been to a very high level and I am delighted with the performances of the transfers that I brought in. We worked long and hard on the Alan Judge deal so I am delighted that he has fitted in so well.

Shaun Barker returns from injury this month so we hope to welcome the former captain to the team, even if he will be a long way short of the player he was 2 years ago.

My player of the month has to be Craig Bryson who has worked extremely hard to push his way into the team and he is reaping his rewards at the moment. With just a year left on his contract, it must only be a matter of time before the club and board sit down to discuss an extension.

View attachment 354043

END OF MONTH POSITION: 4th

NameG
Alan Judge5
Callum Ball4
Craig Bryson4
Will Hughes3
Simon Church3

Last edited:
OCTOBER 2013

View attachment 354747

Our good form continues into this month, though a couple of injuries toward the end have thrown a spanner into the works. That said, the boys have been impressive and much credit has to go to them.

Derby County 3 - 1 Notts Forest
Championship
Hughes (2), Judge
We have a great record in these derby's at the moment, so I'm delighted that we broke into this month with such a good result. Will Hughes bagged a penalty to put us in the lead before Alan Judge doubled the scores with a crashing strike. Trotta pulled one back but Hughes finished things with a great finish just inside the area.

Leeds United 0 - 0 Derby County
Championship
Always a tough game up at Elland Road and so it proved on this occasion. In fact, Leeds probably had the better chances and once more we had Jonathon Bond to thank for a clean sheet. But we'll take a point in such a difficult game.

Tranmere 2 - 0 Derby County
Championship
Not a result that I was expecting by any means. Tranmere did well to come up last season, and despite not pulling up roots so far this campaign they are still an organised team. We had the majority of chances but were punished on a number of occasions. I shoulder the blame having made a number of changes to keep the team fit, sadly it backfired.

Derby County 1 - 0 Sheffield United
Championship
Sammon
Nice to get back to winning ways, because this was a tough game against a decent side. Connor hasn't been in the best form of late and in fact this was his first goal of the season, but he took it well, shimmying past a defender before crashing in from 20 yards. Vital three points.

Sheffield Wednesday 0 - 0 Derby County
Championship
We struggled a couple of times against Sheffield Wednesday last season so I suppose we should be happy with a point. Connor started up top again but his dissapointing recent displays were epitomised in this display, failing to even do the basic jobs of holding up the ball.

I can't complain too much because it has been a great start to the season and we currently sit in the play-offs. However, recent games have shown us to be a little bit lacking in front of goal once more. I need the likes of Sammon, Church and Ball to start popping up a little more and taking their chances.

Meanwhile, we lost Cyril Hennion for a couple of months to an injury in the Tranmere game which is dissapointing because he has had a great first few months in the side. We look forward to welcoming him back in December.

Meanwhile, player of the month has to be Jeff Hendrick. Jeff has been in top form all month and even won the young player of the month award so well done him.

View attachment 354750

END OF MONTH POSITION: 3rd

Name
G
Alan Judge6
Will Hughes5
Simon Church4
Callum Ball4
Craig Bryson4

Last edited:
NOVEMBER 2013

View attachment 354775

Our first stumble of the campaign came in this month as we lost twice in a row for the first time. They were a couple of poor performances but this is to be expected at times with such a young team. That said, they bounced back excellently to beat Brighton and we can be pleased with the progress to this point.

Derby County 2 - 2 Ipswich Town
Championship
Hughes, Church
A match which we can be proud of in some respects. The first half performance was pretty sloppy but Will Hughes' goal right before half time gave us hope that we could come back out and grab at least a point. We bombarded Ipswich's goal the entire second half and Church scored a lovely finish to level but we couldn't go on for a win.

Blackburn 2 - 3 Derby County
Championship
Hendrick, Jacobs, Church
A great result against a fellow promotion contender. With big games coming up this was as big as any and we put on a great display. Hendrick broke the deadlock with a fine strike before Jacob's penalty. Blackburn pulled one back after Church's poor pass back but he made amends with a fine 20 yard strike. Late on, Blackburn scored again but it wasn't too make much difference.

Derby County 0 - 0 Preston
Championship
The type of game that often trips up the pretenders as newly promoted Preston sat back and defended deep as we tried to force our way through. Sadly our front line hadn't brought their shooting boots and we couldn't kick on from the win against Blackburn.

Southampton 4 - 1 Derby County
Championship
Sammon
An incredibly dissapointing result against mid-table Southampton. I was aware of the qualities of Rickie Lambert but he gave Keogh and O'Brien the run around from the word go, bagging twice with Sammon's goal in the second half coming completely against the run of play and counting for very little.

Cardiff 3 - 0 Derby County
Championship
Oh dear, two losses on the trot for the first time this season and this was another toothless display. I mixed our centre back pairings around for this game with Buxton and Gjokaj coming into the side but they couldn't count for the excellent performance of Don Cowie who broke in late time and time again, ending with a hat-trick. We had to move on quickly.

Derby County 2 - 0 Brighton
Championship
Hall, Hendrick
Another game against promotion contenders and this time we showed our full qualities. Fielding came into the side for the first time since back in early September and put in a great display, with new loanee Ryan Hall putting us ahead before Hendrick's wonderful half-volley won the day. A good display.

A tough month for sure, but I'm pleased we ended it with a win against formerly 2nd placed Brighton. We have got the big games out of the way now so I'm hoping we can show the professionalism in December which is always one of the toughest months. I still have plenty of money available so if anyone comes available in January we will certainly have a look at them.

Meanwhile, Konoridis complained of a lack of playing time so he was sent back to Lille, to be replaced by Ryan Hall on loan from Leeds United. He bagged his first goal against Brighton so a congratulations to him.

View attachment 354782

So after a tough month, Jeff Hendrick once again receives the plaudits for some excellently displays. We really have a talent on our hands here.

Jeff-Hendrick-Young-Player-of-the-Year-2011-12-300x240.jpg

December is always a pivotal month in any club's season so here's hoping we can really push on. With just 2 points seperating us from top spot, I am certain with a good month we can establish ourselves in the promotion spots.

NAMEG
Will Hughes6
Alan Judge6
Simon Church6
Callum Ball4
Craig Bryson4

JOHN BRAYFORD COMPLETES MOVE TO STOKE CITY

JohnBrayford_20120808.jpg

We're disappointed to announce the departure of a player who has come on leaps and bounds in his development since joining us 4 years ago, but with just 6 months left to run on his contract, Stoke have swooped in to take the right back off us for £2,800,000. John has been a great player for us and we wish him all the best in the future.​

DECEMBER 2013

View attachment 354822

This was a very difficult month for us, all things said. A lot of games and off the field issues led to some disjointed performances but it was good to finish the year with a win and in the play-off spots. If we can add to the squad next month then I'm sure we can move on from here.

Derby County 3 - 0 Charlton Athletic
Championship
Hughes, Sammon, Ward
A nice start to the month as we saw off the threat of Charlton comfortably. Sammon has been hitting a little patch of form recently so it was nice to see a bit of him, with Hughes and the returning Jamie Ward also on target. A good three points.

Reading 2 - 1 Derby County
Championship
Judge
We didn't do ourselves justice in this game, punished on the counter attack twice by in form Reading. Pennant got them the lead on the break in the first half and unfortunately Federici was in good form. Judge grabbed us a consolation in the second half.

Derby County 0 - 1 Bristol City
Championship
An unnacceptable result and performance, as we dropped to mid-table Bristol. They have been in good form recently but that could be no excuse in our chase for promotion. We looked toothless up front with Simon Church in particular looking very dissapointing.

Derby County 1 - 1 Crystal Palace
Championship
Judge
We should have won this game comfortably but were punished for our profligacy in the cruellest possible way as Palace equalised in the last minute of the game with their first shot. Judge's early goal should have given us a win but it wasn't to be.

Huddersfield 3 - 0 Derby County
Championship
I'm not quite sure how this result happened, but it did and saw Huddersfield leap above us in the table into the play-off spots. We had the best of the first half but they took the lead and from then on we didn't look in the game. A crushing defeat and one which really required a response.

Derby County 1 - 1 Barnsley
Championship
Hall
A game in which I expected a response but we were let down by a refereeing decision. Keogh was adjudged to have handballed in the box for Barnsley's opener but it was cancelled out by Ryan Hall's wonderful free-kick. Sadly the referee then deemed a clear goal by Simon Church to be offside and we were denied a vital win.

Derby County 2 - 0 Bolton
Championship
Sammon, O'Brien
Bolton are a really tough team to face so this was a great way to end a really difficult month. Sammon scored with a looped header after 20 minutes before O'Brien scored his first professional goal to seal the victory. I am delighted we finally got a bit of luck and we need to now take this momentum into 2014. Here's to a good new year!

Well, a really tough month on the field. Some poor performances, some unlucky performances and a professional one to round the month off and see us still sitting in the play-offs.

Off the field, we of course saw the departure of John Brayford after Stoke City came sniffing around and the full-back having refused a contract extension last summer. With Freeman our only other option in this position it is now fundamental that we bring in a new player with the funds in January.

Two young players signed contract extensions however, with others on-going. Freeman signs for 3 more years at right back whilst Valentin Gjokaj also extends his stay despite featuring much less this season.

Our player of the month has to be Mark O'Brien, performing wonders in central defence despite some poor performances at left back, and also scoring his first professional goal. So well done to the 20 year old, who was also this month named as vice-captain after the departure of John Brayford.

Mark+O+Brien+eDi9hrDK0C_m.jpg

We also say goodbye to Ryan Hall at the end of this month, and thank him for his excellent cover over the past 3 months. He managed to score 2 important goals and we were delighted with his contributions.

END OF MONTH POSITION: 6th

DERBY ANNOUNCE TRIPLE SIGNING

View attachment 354848 View attachment 354849View attachment 354850

Derby today announced the trio of David Vaughan, Joshua John and Steven Saunders to the club in a bid to sustain their promotion charge.
David Vaughan is an experienced central midfielder who played in the Premier League for both Blackpool and Sunderland but now joins on a free transfer having been released in the summer; he signs until June 2014. He is a full Welsh international and has made 32 appearances, scoring 1 goal.
Joshua John is a promising dutch winger with Under-21 caps who has been relegated to the reserves at his home club FC Twente. He joins on loan until the summer, with a view to a permanent deal.
Finally, Steven Saunders joins from Motherwell for an estimated £190,000. Saunders, who turns 23 next month, can play either at centre back or at right back and is expected to provide cover for both positions after the departure of John Brayford to Stoke City.

JANUARY 2014

View attachment 354873

A month of medicore results but probably more important for off-the field matters as we sealed a couple of important deals and moved in on some potential transfers for the summer.

Leeds United 4 - 0 Derby County
FA Cup 3rd Round
A shocking display, even if a number of the players were second choice following the game on New Years' Eve. We were second best throughout and even though the FA Cup is certainly not top of our priorities I let it be known once more than this kind of performance is not acceptable at any level.

Norwich 1 - 0 Derby County
Championship
A second defeat on the spin but certainly less deserved. With a number of transfers still in the offing, I think a lot of players' minds were elsewhere but we were certainly a match for top of the table Norwich. I am confident we will improve once all our deals are sorted.

Blackpool 1 - 3 Derby County
Championship
Sammon (2), Barker
That's more like it. We went 3-0 up against Blackpool to really show our qualities, with the returning Mason Bennett pulling all the strings on the right hand side. Sammon had a top game and we hope his form continues.

Derby County 1 - 1 Leeds United
Championship
Judge
Another game against Leeds and a chance to get a bit of revenge for that FA Cup match but we couldn't take it. We took the lead through an excellent finish from Judge, collecting Sammon's cut back and slotting into the far corner. Despite then having the better of the chances we were not clinical enough and the nippy Billy Sharp equalised for Leeds.

________

Off the field, Brayford completed his move to Stoke whilst we brought in David Vaughan, Steven Saunders and Joshua John to bolster our attack.

We also welcomed back Mason Bennett and Josh Lelan from loan whilst Mats Morch is promoted to the first team after some impressive reserve performances.
View attachment 354868View attachment 354869View attachment 354870

Dougie Wilson signed from Hull to join the ranks of the reserve team and hopefully make his way into the first team.
View attachment 354867

We had a number of approaches for Anthony Pilkington turned down this month and despite his protests Norwich held firm, but we will look to sign him on a pre-contract in June as he is a player of real quality. We are also on the verge of completing a deal for Andy Keogh from Millwall to bolster our attack. All in all we have made good progress on the transfer front.

Our player of the month should have to be Connor Sammon as he showed some of the form of last season once more with a couple of goals and an assist. Let's hope he can keep that up from now.

View attachment 354866

END OF MONTH POSITION: 7th

NameG
Alan Judge9
Will Hughes7
Connor Sammon6
Simon Church6
Callum Ball4

FEBRUARY 2014

View attachment 354937

This was a good month for us, and could have been even better but for a dodgy goal by Watford in the last game of the month. We're on track for at least the play-offs and only 3 points away from the automatic spots.

Wolves 0 - 1 Derby County
Championship
Hendrick
We left it fairly late in this one and were probably quite lucky to win. Wolves had all the chances but were struggling from the moment Marc Albrighton saw red for a reckless challenge. Hendrick popped up late in the second half with a header from Coutts' corner to win the match.

Leicester 1 - 3 Derby County
Championship
Hughes (2), Hendrick
Our away form appears to be much better than our home form at the moment and that continued against rivals Leicester who are languishing in mid-table at the moment. Will Hughes signed a new contract at the start of the month and his great form this season continued as he smashed two excellent goals in the first half before Hendrick struck after half time.

Derby County 1 - 1 Watford
Championship
Ball
A game we should have won as we dominated proceedings, but it wasn't Alan Judge's day in front of goal. Callum Ball scored his first goal since October to give us the lead but Geijo swept home a Forestieri cross in the second half and we failed to reply.

So a good month all things considered as we are back on track in the league. We knew this would be a close run thing and there are so many teams in the fight for the play-offs and the automatic spots so expect this to go to the wire.

The most important off the pitch news is that Will Hughes has extended his contract through until the summer of 2016, and he becomes our highest paid player at just 18. This at least wards off potential suitors from the Premier League and hopefully he can help get us there before that contract expires or we may be forced to cash in.

Our player of the month would usually be Jeff Hendrick, but I am swung towards giving it to Shaun Barker as he played every game and got excellent ratings as he finally recovers from a 2 year absence from the game. I'm delighted to award him it for this month and hopefully he can push us on!

View attachment 354933

NameG
Will Hughes9
Alan Judge9
Connor Sammon6
Simon Church6
Callum Ball5

MARCH 2014

View attachment 355128

Hmm, a month that leaves our position in the play-offs very tenuous indeed. Some of the games played this month have been dissapointing and we have been conceding at an alarming rate. Things need to pick up in the last month to assure a play-off spot.

Notts Forest 4 - 4 Derby County
Championship
Hughes (2), Sammon, Ward
Okay, it's dissapointing to concede 4 goals but we staged a remarkable comeback. We went a goal down before Hughes equalised, but then a Marcello Trotta hat-trick looked us to be heading toward an embarrasing derby day defeat. But Hughes' goal on half time followed by excellent Sammon and Jamie Ward strikes saw us grab a point.

Derby County 1 - 2 Tranmere Rovers
Championship
Ward
Tranmere have got the better of us twice now this season but we were totally robbed. The Rovers have done well in their first Championship season and sit 11th in the table but we still had the better of the game. Ward equalised after Thompson's early goal but Tranmere went on to grab a late winner on the counter-attack.

Sheffield United 1 - 1 Derby County
Championship
Judge
Another dissapointing result for us against a side who are rock bottom of the league. We somehow went a goal down and pulled one back through Alan Judge before half time but we were poor in the second half and left with just a point.

Derby County 3 - 1 Sheffield Wednesday
Championship
Hendrick (2), Sammon
A much better performance against the Owls as we returned to winning ways for the first time this month.. Hendrick put in a sterling performance to pull us back from going a goal behind and we pushed our way back into the play-offs.

Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Derby County
Championship
Oh dear, an awful way to end the month as we were smashed 3-0 by Ipswich. Although the scoreline was perhaps a bit harsh it epitomised some of the poor performances we've put in this month. April just got even more interesting.

So, this month hasn't been the best for us. We are now sitting 5th in the table still but Brighton in 7th are just 2 points behind us and with some big, big teams still left to play, we are left with a big fight to make the play-offs.

The loss of Brayford hit us a little hard and we are still struggling to decide between Keogh and Saunders at right back with Freeman out for a month with ankle injury.

The player of the month for March was Will Hughes. Will got Young player of the Month for February as well so this was thoroughly deserved. At 18 he is our top goalscorer and his asking price just keeps getting higher and higher.

View attachment 355141

PlayerG
Will Hughes11
Alan Judge10
Conor Sammon8
Jeff Hendrick7
Simon Church6

I'm loving this story mate! Keep it up, I'm sure you'll go up this season no worries ;)

thanks mate! it's great fun that's for sure! final update should be up soon

JUDGE AND HUGHES TO MISS REST OF CAMPAIGN

View attachment 355318

With three games to go until the end of the season, Will Hughes and Alan Judge, Derby County's top goalscorers of this campaign, have both broken down in training and will be missing for up to 6 weeks, ruling them out of any possible play-off matches. How big a blow will this prove to be for Derby County?​

haha I've got him shortlisted. We'll have to see how much money I get in the transfer window.. And that all depends on what comes next!! stay tuned.

APRIL 2014

View attachment 355396

So we've done it! Second season in and we have deservedly reached the play-offs with plenty to spare after Sheffield Wednesday completely bottled it. All this despite having one of the lowest budgets in the league and the youngest team in the division. I am immensely proud of our achievements this season but we cannot afford to rest on our laurels.

Derby County 2 - 0 Blackburn Rovers
Championship
Sammon, Judge
After slipping off badly at the end of March this match against play-off rivals Blackburn was always going to be critical and so it proved as we shoved our way right back into the mix thanks to Connor Sammon (feed the fish) and Alan Judge whose remarkable goalscoring exploits this season continue. What a free transfer he was.

Preston 3 - 4 Derby County
Championship
Sammon (2), Bennett, Coutts
Oh my word, I nearly blew my lid in this game. We went 1-0 down and then equalised. We went 2-1 down and then equalised. We then went 3-2 up with 10 minutes to go but they equalise in the 93rd minute! And despite only 3 minutes being added on we manage to go up the other end and score a dramatic winner through Coutts in the 95th minute, essentially relegating Preston and still giving us a shout of automatic promotion

Derby County 3 - 2 Southampton
Championship
Hughes, John (2)
We continued our dramatic comebacks with a win against Southampton this afternoon in what was an absolute cracker. We twice went behind either side of Hughes' strike only for substitute Josh John to then score two sublime solo efforts in the last 15. Lovely stuff, firmly in the mix for the automatics.

Brighton 1 - 0 Derby County
Championship
Yeah.. Not any more. Brighton grabbed a late winner despite us hammering them in the first half and we left empty handed, albeit all but assured of a play-off spot. Dissapointing but we did the best we could over the course of the season and I have to be delighted with our efforts.

Derby County 1 - 1 Cardiff City
Championship
Bryson
I would have been annoyed to be dragged into staying in the play-offs with a loss here and it looked to be heading that way after we dominated again but failed to take our chances. But after Cardiff were reduced to ten we went up the other end and bagged through Craig Bryson. A fighting performance against Cardiff who secured automatic promotion to the Premier League with this draw.

Charlton Athletic 0 - 0 Derby County
Championship
Essentially a dead duck but I was dissapointed with our poor finishing. 16 shots to Charlton's 1 but we still only came away with a draw. Still, play-offs assured and now we move onto the real business.

So the season is over now! A 5th placed finish is excellent work considering we have also made profit in our transfer dealings and we are the youngest side in the division by a considerable distance.

Now the business starts, the play-offs! I'll do a match report for each of the games seeing as there is so much more on them and here's hoping we can win. We're missing key players: Will Hughes, Alan Judge, Michael Jacobs and Jamie Ward are all out so it's going to be a tough ask. But stranger things have happened.

My player of the month is Richard Keogh who put in some more dominating performances and we need him to keep that up into the play-offs.

View attachment 355399

END OF SEASON POSITION: 5th

NameG
Will Hughes12
Connor Sammon11
Alan Judge11
Jeff Hendrick7
Jamie Ward6

Derby County 1 - 0 Reading
Championship Play-Off Semi-Final, 1st Leg
Sammon
So we take a thin advantage into the away leg of this tie. It was a close game but I think we deserved to win, shading the shots on goal and dominating possession, even without our key players. Adrian Mariappa's trip on Bennett was a little controversial but Sammon stepped up to slam home the penalty and put us a step closer to Wembley.
View attachment 355402