Togo banned from African Cup of Nations.

Madrid19

Reaction score
Have searched but couldn't find another thread on this topic, but apologies if there is one. Not quite sure where this should go aswell. CAF have banned the togo team from the next two african cup of nations, and have fined them $50,000.

Here's the BBC Sport Link to the story. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8489127.stm

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Thanks to whoever moved the thread. As i said i wasn't sure where it needed to go, so cheers.

Absolute disgrace to ban them. What do you expect them to do? Stay their after they've just had 3 people killed on their bus and all the players are shocked? The players wouldn't of been in the right mind set to play football like that. The government made the correct decision bringing them back and they shouldn't be punished for it.

Last edited:
Appalling decision. Maybe they should try the situation that Togo were in. Hopefully they will go back on the decision at some point. :mad:

I think this will get overturned. Bit of an injustice.

I think that the african teams should refuse to play until they are reinstated. Surely the other players wouldn't want to be in the same situation as the togo players?? Its a complete disgrace.

I agree with you Madrid. But I'm not sure if other nations would refuse to play, the competition is a really big event over there.

I thought the ban was extremely harsh, the fine however just adds insult to injury.

All I can say is Epic Decision-Making Fail. Horrible decision. No respect for any of the Togo players or fans.

The Togo team apparently wanted to play but the government said no. Strange.

what the ****?, disgrace, how about the board of this tournament get gunned down?

FIFA will over rule this, i'm sure. maybe they should focus on banning Algeria, for going out to intentionally kick the **** out of Egypt.

Absolute disgrace to ban them. What do you expect them to do? Stay their after they've just had 3 people killed on their bus and all the players are shocked? The players wouldn't of been in the right mind set to play football like that. The government made the correct decision bringing them back and they shouldn't be punished for it.
i could not agree more a complete disgrace it is unfair on Togo really as i would expect any domestic or international team to do the same if they were shot at and had team mates and friends killed.

Togo said that they cant play so the had to do it

-

Follow my Burton story
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f81/the-magic-of-the-champions-league-t29211.html

I would imagine they can appeal to FIFA who will obviously over-rule it. They may possibly face a fine but if there is a ban put in place then the CAF should be disgraced.

FIFA could remove african teams from world cup until CAF let togo play |)