Toms 5-4-1 (could do with some people testing?)

thorton

Reaction score
INTRODUCTION

I love playing with 3 at the back in FM and I have noticed that there aren't many tactics playing like this on here, most have 4... So I thought I'd upload this and see how it works for others.

As it stands I've only tried this out with Napoli, but it's working incredibly well.

I change this slightly for tough away games, where the right-sided CM changes from a DLP(S) to a BWM(D), this helps tighten things up and adds stability into what is normally a very attacking line-up.

GENERAL TACTICS

In Attack

• The wingers cut inside allowing the wing backs to push up the wings.
  • The central DC pushes forward a bit whilst on the ball or in the position to receive.
In Defence
  • Flat 5 at the back, with the right-sided CM chasing around proves hard to break down.

PLAYER CHOICES

GK

Just your standard shot-stopping GK here, the usual stats are a bonus. (Think Joe Hart, De Gea, De Sanctis, ter Stegen)

DCL & DCR
These are your typical strong CB's who do most of the fighting at the back. Tackling, Strength, Concentration, Jumping, Heading, Marking... All the standard traits for a DC. (Think Vidic, Lescott, Olsson, Cannavaro)

DC
This guy is the one who isn't afraid of venturing forwards. On top of the usual DC stats again, Speed, Anticipation, Creativity & Passing are very useful here. (Think Kompany, Pique, Vertonghen, Ramos, T.Silva)

WBR & WBL
These are bombing it up and down the flanks all game, joining in attacks but also defending admirably too. Crossing, Dribbling, Tackling, Off the Ball, Speed & Stamina all essential here. (Think Dossena, Maggio, Maicon, Alves)

MCL
This is the main playmaker, and runs through the middle of the park spraying out the passes and jut generally being a nuisance to your opposition. This would normally be the sort of player who is a MC/AMC. Touch, Passing, Creativity, Decisions, Off the Ball, Teamwork are key here. (Think Hamsik, Eriksen, Sneijder, Wilshere)

MCR (Home/easy games)
This guy is a Deep Lying Playmaker, and does tend to drift forwards but not as much as the other CM, also has somewhat a presence in defence and linking the play up in the early stages of an attack. Passing, Creativity, Decisions, Teamwork, Work Rate, Tackling all key here, and to a lesser extent Strength can't hurt. (Think Yaya, Carrick, Busquets, Xavi)

MCR (Away/hard games)
Typical hard-working BWM. Marking, Tackling, Aggression, Bravery, Team Work, Work rate, Strength. (Think Nigel de Jong, Flamini, Parker, Cambiasso, Tiote)

AMR & AML
More of an inside forward really, set to winger in game though and changed slightly in the sliders. They do tend to cut inside so finishing is very useful here, and will bag a few goals if your wingers can finish, in my tactic they do swap wings, but I normally start them with the stronger foot on the inside. Strikers who can happily play on the wing are good here as well, but make sure their crossing is good... Speed, Crossing, Dribbling, Finishing, Passing, Technique, Off the Ball, Creativity, Decisions all key, finishing isn't essential though. (Think Bale, Pandev, Silva, Nani, Ashley Young)

ST
The main man up top, set as a poacher but he does a bit of everything really, good off the ball and fast but also helps if good in the air. Finishing, Touch, Technique, Anticipation, Off the Ball, Speed are all essential, Heading, Jumping, Strength, Passing, Creativity, Teamwork can all help. (Think Cavani, Falcao, Eto'o, Dzeko)

THE TACTIC

Home

Cuo9JNU.png

Away

3qWxiIg.png

SHOUTS
None really, apart from maybe if you're desperate at the end of the game and spam all of the offensive options in a last-ditch effort to score. Maybe if you know that your opposition is susceptible to wing-play, then Clear to Flanks & Exploit the Flanks is useful, same goes for down the middle.

TEAM INSTRUCTIONS
Strategy set to control as default, but adjust as you see fit when you're winning/losing.
If your striker is smaller than the likes of Falcao/Cavani, change the Crossing to drill.
Leave the rest.

RESULTS
Here's a few results, a mix of big games and some smaller games but massive wins.
a9Et3nm.png

PUaXLEy.png

q8oKj0S.png

ew5OM8S.png

rJJPSoK.png

DOWNLOAD

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5out6nzv0gs8wj/5-3-2-n2.tac

Please Note: I honestly have no idea how this is going to work with other teams lol, I'm hoping it works as well as it doe for Napoli haha... Also, this is the first tactic I've uploaded so just say if I've missed anything out :)

I had great success with 5 at the back with LFC on fm2011 (long time ago now). I don't have time for a thourough test but I can sim a season if you want? (if so which variation do you want me to use, home or away?)

WIll try it out wit Midlesbrough right away!
For away version, do i just change the DLP to BWM? Nothing else?

cheers

I had great success with 5 at the back with LFC on fm2011 (long time ago now). I don't have time for a thourough test but I can sim a season if you want? (if so which variation do you want me to use, home or away?)

That would be pretty good :) Could you try with Wigan maybe? Want to see how it goes with a lesser team than Napoli/City and Wigan have a team that fits 3 at the back.

WIll try it out wit Midlesbrough right away!
For away version, do i just change the DLP to BWM? Nothing else?

cheers

Yup, the sliders that make him defensive are left automatically to whatever role he's playing so thats all that needs doing, changing the AP to a DLP could possibly help too.

oppo instructions??

Delegate to Assistant.

With Wigan, using the away version, managed to get to February then got sacked (18th).