Too few Scots?

Reaction score
After having a look at yesterday's XI, I thought... 2 Scots? That's not alot... And right enough, I compared it to 07/08, 08/09, 09/10...
07/08 - 8 Scots and homegrown with at least 10 appearances.
08/09 - 8 Scots and homegrown with at least 10 appearances.
09/08 - 4 Scots and homegrown with at least 10 appearances.
10/11 - 2 Scots in starting line-up.

Anyone else worried, with regards to Celtic's performances? I personally think it's a sin, as Celtic's the only club to have won the European Cup with a team consisting of players all born within a 30 mile radius of Celtic Park.

Last edited:
I know Celtic are turning out like a Rest of the world xi !

thats because the quality just isnt coming through anymore. you try and feiled the same number, but they just wouldnt be that good. your problems are similar to ours but even more compounded

We've taken all your Scots haven't we?

We've taken all your Scots haven't we?

Yep! Now leave Broonie alone!;p

thats because the quality just isnt coming through anymore. you try and feiled the same number, but they just wouldnt be that good. your problems are similar to ours but even more compounded

Not quite true; McGeady, Thomson, Fleck, Wilson, Brown (well, I rate him!)... Now we've got Jamie Ness, Feruz and James Forrest coming through. Forrest was imho Celtic's best player last night, he actually tried. We've got some good players, just not enough (d'uh). Last night it seemed to me Celtic were not firing even a single cylinder, they just didn't seem to care. The only ones I thought were slightly spirited were Northern Irish and Scots.

Last edited:
' Boro have taken quite a few Scottish players from Celtic and Rangers.... leave us some XD

Same as what Wenger had said,imo their is quality coming through but frankly countries such as Brazil,Germany just have much better players than us.This was evdiently seen by the performance of the Young German Team in the WC...Do you think that if we put up a young England Team of Rodwell,Wilshere or Caroll we would have been able to match their performance,definetly not...and these players are our brightest prospects

Same as what Wenger had said,imo their is quality coming through but frankly countries such as Brazil,Germany just have much better players than us.This was evdiently seen by the performance of the Young German Team in the WC...Do you think that if we put up a young England Team of Rodwell,Wilshere or Caroll we would have been able to match their performance,definetly not...and these players are our brightest prospects

The problem isn't that these countries have better youngsters than us though, the problem is that ours don't get a chance to:

1) Play regular first-team football
2) Play in a league that isn't just kick and rush

It's no coincidence that Hamilton have sold on young McArthur and McCarthy to Wigan, having put them in the team early and taught them to play decent, passing football - it simply doesn't happen enough! Rangers financial problems could well be a blessing in disguise, given that the Murray Park lads will now have a chance to break through. Celtic have been stupid and gone completely the other way, though.

i dont think another club would manage to get a team of players from with in 30miles of celtic park.

Ness, Fleck, Wylde all well known Rangers Young stars not sure about Celtic, Look at Hearts, Lee Wallace possibly Scotlands best LB at 23, In my opinion i think more people at a young age are always either wanting to be a striker or a winger too few people defend unless there told to.

I'm more ashamed of the fact we have few Scottish players than that we have played *****. And even the Scottish playerswe have dont deserve to be there, Scott Brown anyway. But we need players who live and breathe Celtic.

Buy more English then.
Maybe Irish and Welsh as well

Yep! Now leave Broonie alone!;p

Not quite true; McGeady, Thomson, Fleck, Wilson, Brown (well, I rate him!)... Now we've got Jamie Ness, Feruz and James Forrest coming through. Forrest was imho Celtic's best player last night, he actually tried. We've got some good players, just not enough (d'uh). Last night it seemed to me Celtic were not firing even a single cylinder, they just didn't seem to care. The only ones I thought were slightly spirited were Northern Irish and Scots.

Just to clarify; isn't McGeady Irish? Born a Glaswegian but of Irish descent?

He plays for Republic of Ireland and I swear his accent is Irish..will be Russian in a few years though =D

Drop Celtic for a minute, and look at dundee utd's sqaud, almost pure scottish.
And still they didn't acheive, god knows what is the answer, we're doomed.

Drop Celtic for a minute, and look at dundee utd's sqaud, almost pure scottish.
And still they didn't acheive, god knows what is the answer, we're doomed.

Eh? The point is they weren't expected to - you were, and you were humped by an average Dutch team. Maybe if wee Lennon (and Mogga before him) hadn't signed so much dross for silly money, the young boys could be breaking through and making the side better.

...and McGeady is purely Scottish, but chose to play for the Republic because it was his Irish grandfather's dying wish apparently. His parents are both born and bred Scots, as is he.

Motherwell have got a few great prospects-Ross Forbes,Mark Reynolds,Steven Saunders,Jamie Murphy,Gary Smith,Jamie Pollock,Robert McHugh,Dario Quinn

Just to name a few

Well yesterday I saw everything that was wrong with Scottish football, in the shape of young talented Vladimir Weiss. He got the MoM yesterday, and rightly so, but every time he got the ball, not even two, but three people came round him and tried to put him in the air. More often than not, he beat them, but each and every time he was brought down, he was told to get up, and get on with it, to which he did, but he was offered no protection by the ref Calum Murray, who was by the way utterly abysmal, but thats for another day. These incidents for me highlighted the fact that we don't encourage or protect these exciting, direct players, we tell them to toughen up, and boot them off the park. It's just not fecking football :S