Too many long shots, not enough through balls

wbt50

Reaction score
I'm playing as Swansea and my tactic is possession football. It works very effective as I'm dominating possession, but most of my goals come from headers.

I sometimes get 15 + long shots in a game all which are off target. What can I do to stop the shooting and instead, play the ball in too Michu/Graham upfront ?

Decrease tempo, increase time wasting.
Also certain shouts help.

Decrease Long shot in player instruction and also his freedom

also check for his PPM? Even your D-line will take effect. If a player ends up ball at a position far from goal, no-one to pass, cannot dribble through, he will tend to try long shot. Pushing up the D-line will solve the issue if it is the case.

Tempo is slow, Time wasting sometimes. All players are set to rarely shoot from distance. My D-Line is high. But still my players takes long shot every chance I got.

Just played a match and I had 33 shots off target and 4 on target.

There is always the option being made by my forwards for a through balls but the ball is never played. It's getting on my **** now.

Any other suggestions ?

Are there enough players making forward runs? If there is, are you allowing your players to play a deadly ball into them? The problem with perfecting a possessive tactic is that you have to allow those certain key passes in order for it to work.

My option would be not to decrease the tempo, but rather keep it as normal and at the same time ensuring you team is doing sensible passing, because those key passes rely on the intelligence of your players when they know there is a big certainty that it will be successful. Having a slow tempo may make those players avoid it .

Increase through balls, add some player to either supporting or attacking part of the team to give yet more options for a pass.

What saroy94 said.

Increase through balls, add some player to either supporting or attacking part of the team to give yet more options for a pass.

What saroy94 said.

How do I increase the through balls, while keeping the focus of the team to short passing ?

It's the new patch making players take long shots even if set not too, I've got every player set to long shots rarely but I get about 10 a game, before the patch it wasnt a problem.

How do I increase the through balls, while keeping the focus of the team to short passing ?

Make sure these players have enough passing options, not only players running forward but also easy passes. Also you should have a look at your players' attributes. High creativity, anticipation, decisions, passing and technique are important, especially the mental attributes. And maybe the most important thing, what is their teamwork attribute. If it is low, I'd say ~12 or under, then they look for shots instead of passes much more often. High teamwork attribute is essential for midfielders, particularly in your short passing style.

edit. try to train them the PPM 'looks for a pass instead of a shot'

Its a match engine problem. ME 1325 feedback thread is full of it.

New match engine was a bigger challenge then SI expected.

Im having the same problem as Bournemouth. Every game i dominate possession, often over 60% and have 15 or more shots at goal yet 90% are hopeless long shots from 25 to 35 yards away. I also play a short passing style. I've tried everything to sort it out, i honestly think its a problem with the game engine as previous FMs like last years didnt have this issue. One of my midfielders would have been getting hammered by his team-mates he was doing it that much even when there were glaring and obvious passing options ahead.

As a result my head's on the chopping block, we are losing games we are dominating because we cant score. I know there could be other reasons involved in us losing games we are dominating but the long shot thing is really standing out as an odd problem to have in a game of FM.

Its a known bug with the current ME, hopefully it will be sorted in the next big patch, probably Feb/March.

Its a known bug with the current ME, hopefully it will be sorted in the next big patch, probably Feb/March.

They are trying to get out a hotfix before then if possible.