BoxerLadABC

Reaction score
Having a bit of a problem with an infuriatingly wasteful young striker of mine. He's a regen, here's his profile:

mKTrC.png

So as you can see, for a 21-year old, he has great attributes. Even his composure is high. The problem is, he is incredibly wasteful. Although 22 goals in 27 games seems like a good return for a 21-year-old, with the amount of chances he gets each game the numbers should be a lot higher. Just an idea of his average shots per game:

jbn0o.png

With my tactic being a 4-5-1 with a lone striker, when he doesn't perform I start dropping points. For the past 10 games or so, I've been relying on goals from my midfield which is always risky. He's got great support in midfield, (incredibly creative players) but he squanders all the chances they give him.

So, I'm wondering why is he being so wasteful? Is it simply a case of being too young? I do play at quite a high tempo but that didn't phase him too much last season when he had a moderately successful season. He hasn't been bad this season either, just not converting as much as he should. The above table speaks for itself, 3 goals from 48 shots.

Any advice?

Rest him for a few games and he should come back better than ever.

Try getting him to learn placed shots ppm although this hampers development as it takes up part of hit training time.

Rest him for a few games and he should come back better than ever.
Problem with that is, I'm a bit short of attacking options. I had Cavani as my main man and this fella would be his long term replacement, but a leg break disrupted those plans. My only alternative now is Walcott and he's had more than his share of injuries in the past so he's not exactly a world beater any more (it's 2018 remember).

when i had this problem it just took time i also had an amazing regen and at first he wasnt doing to good and would miss the easiest chances but i kept at it and would play him off the bench all the time. then about two season in with him he started to do amazing and has scored in every single game since then no lie, with young players like that i think that they may take more time to get used to your tactic and the way your team plays cause they are still very inexperienced

First off, what are his PPMs?

Secondly, what is your time wasting set to?

Thirdly, how strong are both of his feet?

No time wasting will encourage players to shoot at net at first opportunity (good for when you are trailing and need to get shots on net as fast as possible). I've had success increasing time wasting, which gives the striker more time on the ball inside the box.

If he has one very strong foot and one weak foot, your tactic may be putting him on his weak foot too often. Combine that with no time wasting, he may be taking rushed shots with his weak foot. Looking at his 50% shots on target ratio, I'd imagine this is one of the biggest issues you are having.

Still in relation to his goals per game tally it's very good.
The premium age for strikers is late twenties early thirties. So bear this in mind. If he has good training he will be a beast at 27.
Think the PPM is the best option mentioned and probably find at least one other great striker to sub or replace him if his form is off. You must have some money now the year your in.

You stay classy......

First off, what are his PPMs?

Secondly, what is your time wasting set to?

Thirdly, how strong are both of his feet?

No time wasting will encourage players to shoot at net at first opportunity (good for when you are trailing and need to get shots on net as fast as possible). I've had success increasing time wasting, which gives the striker more time on the ball inside the box.

If he has one very strong foot and one weak foot, your tactic may be putting him on his weak foot too often. Combine that with no time wasting, he may be taking rushed shots with his weak foot. Looking at his 50% shots on target ratio, I'd imagine this is one of the biggest issues you are having.

At the minute, "runs with ball down right" - Not sure why, always had it. And "Knocks ball past opponent" - He's relatively quick so this isn't a bad one. (I also have him learning to place shots as someone else mentioned)

As for time-wasting, you might be on to something. Naturally, I set it to the minimum amount. My thought process being, if I'm favourite to win most games, time-wasting isn't something I'll welcome. However, I hadn't considered the effect this has on things like shot time. I'll try increasing it a bit and maybe he'll take an extra second or two to find the corner.

As for his footedness, again you could be on to something. Right = 20, Left = 9.
Am I right in saying there's no training regime for footedness, other than the PPM to avoid using weaker foot?
Also, footedness doesn't develop with age right? It's static?
Still in relation to his goals per game tally it's very good.
The premium age for strikers is late twenties early thirties. So bear this in mind. If he has good training he will be a beast at 27.
Think the PPM is the best option mentioned and probably find at least one other great striker to sub or replace him if his form is off. You must have some money now the year your in.

You stay classy......
It is good yeah, but it still should be higher. It's probably skewed slightly by the fact that, on his day, sometimes he'll knock in 4 in one game then go 5 without a goal, you know? His consistency is 13 at the minute as well, which isn't poor by any means for a 21-year old.

Looking at his 50% shots on target ratio, I'd imagine this is one of the biggest issues you are having.
Although 50% isn't good, that's not the worrying statistic.

23 goals from 163 shots is 14% goal/shot ratio. Which, when I compared it to the other strikers in Europe, is considerably below average.

The thing that I like about this kid is how many goal-scoring opportunities he finds himself in. When I play Walcott or anyone else, they might convert more but they don't have the same amount of chances. My thinking is: if I can get him to be more efficient with his chances, he'll lead the line for years to come.

Last edited:
Although 50% isn't good, that's not the worrying statistic.

23 goals from 163 shots is 14% goal/shot ratio. Which, when I compared it to the other strikers in Europe, is considerably below average.

The thing that I like about this kid is how many goal-scoring opportunities he finds himself in. When I play Walcott or anyone else, they might convert more but they don't have the same amount of chances. My thinking is: if I can get him to be more efficient with his chances, he'll lead the line for years to come.

a 14% goal to shot ratio is bad, but if he's only hitting the target with half his shots then that would be a 28% goal to shot ratio if he hit them all on target, which is just under one in 3 so if he hit teh target more and learned place shots he'd do alot better.

I'm considering just dropping the striker completely and playing 4-6-0. All my goals are coming from midfield anyway so it's just a waste of a player keeping him on. It's like playing every game with 10 men.

Some people overemphasize "places shots". Most strikers don't have the skills to do this, but it does appear that your striker probably does have those skills, so it might help some.

Avoiding weaker foot might be the better option.

Next few games, watch to see which foot he shoots with the most and who feeds him the ball onto his weaker foot. If you have 2 CMs, with the right CM with through balls often, it will result in your striker getting the ball on his left foot.

Wow buddy you seem peed of with him. Just sell him mate next window. Buy a proven striker or two. It's still a game at the end of it and I guess sometimes we have to accept that this sort of thing can happen.

You stay classy......

He might have low Consistency / Important Matches (hidden attributes).

I'd definitely keep him, unless you get offered something upwards of £50 mil+, but even then...

He's played sick in continental competitions, got nearly a goal a game, if you factor in assists he provides a goal a game. so while yes, there are players who give you more he is still only 21, and you will definitely regret selling once he wins player of the year. increase his training focus on tactics a bit so his concentration goes up, and place shots will make a difference. he may squander chances but as he makes so many a 3-5% increase in conversion will make a big difference. plus if he's winning you corners and you're converting them then he contributes that way to

Problem solved...broken leg, out for 6 months+ :( Hit twice as hard by the fact that he's also my starting forward for England (I'm managing club and country) and will miss both the most important part of the EPL season and the entire 2018 WC. This is all disregarding the massive hit on his development.

/scream