Top 5 Things Pele Does Not Want You to Know

Some of the comments are interesting. He still has the most world cup winners medals and he did actually score over 1,200 goals, official or unofficial, that's impressive. Messi would still be good playing for another club but not a shadow of his current self if Xavi and Iniesta weren't playing alongside him, Argentina being a prime example. People forget Cristiano Ronaldo in that piece, he was sublime, magnificent for Manchester United and he's even better at Real Madrid, almost all on his own and he's only the same age as Messi. He outperforms his team always at international level, something Messi fails to do.

Let's be honest, I could score a shedload of goals playing in front of players like Fabregas, Xavi and Iniesta.

Ronaldo>Messi

Pele is a ****, if I wanted to hear from an ******* I would have farted....

That article was interesting to read, especially his goal tally and his World Cup achievements. I really didn't know that Pele didn't win 1 golden boot at a World Cup.

Pele is like Zidane. Pumped up from the media for being the best, but actually their stats are not impressive at all, especially having in mind that they have been playing in the best possible teams with some of the best players in the world along side.
Now if you want to see a stats *****, you should take a look at Totti and his achievements with Roma.

You are trying to take down the player because of the man. That's a common syndrome for women in Brazil: They hate Pele with all their heart. I don't like the man too, but I can't deny, nor can anyone, that he's not a beast. If that Golden Era Brazilian side was so "needless" of Pele, why did a 18 year old get his place during the World Cup, and score twice in the final, against the home team. At 22 he was the star of the 2 times world champion Selecao, two times world champion Santos, during their world domination era, while Messi probably wasn't even in the starting eleven. In the 50's to 70's, the midfield in some teams had 2 players, so you can't compare positional situation. If Pele could finish as the greatest, why leave him in the midfield? I think Pele is an ***, just like Maradona and other great players, but we can't let it blur our judgement of their game, and even if we did, Pele would be the stupid, and Maradona, the addict. Messi is a great guy, and will be remembered as one of the best(so should be Cristiano Ronaldo), but Pele is at a diferent level. If you say his teammates were good enough without him, so does that apply to our beloved argentinian lad. Also, the Golden Boot stuff does not "work", as Fontaine scored 13 times, while Pele, in America, would be too young to drink. In '62 and '66 he was injured, so there's nothing to be said there. In '70, Jairzinho was the Hurricane, the only time ever a player scored in all matches of a World Cup, while Pele leaded, finishing and passing(CA Torres goal!). If you say that he scored because of the passes, you should talk about his assists, and that pass to Carlos Alberto Torres is, just like the goal, poetical. He's not the greatest football player of the century. He's the ATHLETE OF THE CENTURY. It's not Ali, Gritsky, Jordan or Senna. It's Pele. Get over it.

Pele is like Zidane. Pumped up from the media for being the best, but actually their stats are not impressive at all, especially having in mind that they have been playing in the best possible teams with some of the best players in the world along side.

Terrible comparision. They are the exact opposite. Zidane played excellent when it mattered, against tough opposition when the stakes were the highest. That should be real key behind judging players ability, isn't it? He really was the most complete footballer i've ever seen. Imagination, creativity and technique of Maradona, amongst the best in the world both at shooting from large distance and winning a tough header in the box, and if all that wasn't enough, build like a russian tank, professional and always in shape.

He had a bad temper as evident from his last game for France, but then nobodys perfect.

If CR7 improves mentally with age, he can still give Zidane run for his money, but so far he is exactly the new Pele. Stat farming machine against bad oposition, but send him on a big game and he never delivers.

Messi gets far too much **** for playing bad in national teams. Matter of fact is Argentina on paper has had some of the best teams in the world for last 20 years, but it always falls apart during big tournaments, it cant be all Messi's fault.

Although i agree Iniesta and Xavi dont get enough media exposure for their contribution in Barca and propably deserve the title of best player in the world a lot more, but thats another story.

Last edited:
Terrible comparision. They are the exact opposite. Zidane played excellent when it mattered, against tough opposition when the stakes were the highest. That should be real key behind judging players ability, isn't it? He really was the most complete footballer i've ever seen. Imagination, creativity and technique of Maradona, amongst the best in the world both at shooting from large distance and winning a tough header in the box, and if all that wasn't enough, build like a russian tank, professional and always in shape.

He had a bad temper as evident from his last game for France, but then nobodys perfect.

If CR7 improves mentally with age, he can still give Zidane run for his money, but so far he is exactly the new Pele. Stat farming machine against bad oposition, but send him on a big game and he never delivers.

Messi gets far too much **** for playing bad in national teams. Matter of fact is Argentina on paper has had some of the best teams in the world for last 20 years, but it always falls apart during big tournaments, it cant be all Messi's fault.

Although i agree Iniesta and Xavi dont get enough media exposure for their contribution in Barca and propably deserve the title of best player in the world a lot more, but thats another story.

I am too biased when it comes to comparison between Totti and Zidane. Zidane actually had one of the best players arround him. In Juve he had Nedved and Del Piero while in Real he had a star team. The France national team had one of the best players also when they were running the football around them.

On the other hand Totti had no one good enough in the team despite De Rossi and still achieving magnificent results. As a playmaker he had scored more goals than Baggio himself. He has enormous amount of assists in his belt. In fact if Del Piero showed some composure in front of the goal after the amazing passes of Totti in 2000 Italy would find themselves champions in the Euro Cup. In fact after that Totti was the first choice of Real Madrid and after he rejected their offer because of loyalty, they approached for Zidane.

What I want to say with the comparison between Zidane and Pele is that both had wonderful players around them and they were never that key player like Maradona was for Argentina (and Napoli) for example or like Mathias Zammer (another super under rated player) was for Germany when they won the EU cup.

I do not want to make a comparison between CR7 and Messi. In my opinion both will fail in a league where they know how to play defensively. While Ronaldo is more adaptable to different styles and shows some good leadership can be successful in different leagues, Messi will be probably like Bojan in Roma or Rivaldo and Ronaldhino (another 2 extremely over rated players) in Milan.

Xavi for me is the best playmaker the world have ever seen, while Iniesta is one of the most enjoyable players to watch when he has the ball in his feet.

This is such a spiteful article.. What's wrong mate? Did Pele **** your girlfriend?

This is such a spiteful article.. What's wrong mate? Did Pele **** your girlfriend?

The article is certainly biased , but i also sometimes get annoyed with all the 'who will be new Pele' BS pulled of by the media.

He sure dominated at his time but since then football has evolved and improved a lot more then any other sport. When i watch old boxing matches or basketball matches i often see athletes who would be competetive at any era. When i watch Brasil from the 50s i just see basic stuff that good players from lower divisions can pull off.

If you think that way, you could say that the guy that found out he could plant a seed and grow "food", then making a revolution that led to our society, literally ages ago, wasn't doing a big deal, any kid today plants seeds in kindergarden. It's easy to say that, if you were a manager, you would easily lead your team to win the '30 WC, because back then there was no "tactical play". If you say that Pele would onlyscore more than Heskey and Torres today, based on how he played in 1950-1970, and that Messi, or any of us, people from 2000-2010, would dominate world football back then, just remember that our time traveler Messi would have to "use the tools" of that era, and that Pele, today, would have even more tools than he had, and better training.

Pele scored that much goals in non-official matches because there were not many official ones. And those friendlies were beating Milan, Madrid, Benfica and Boca(of course, many **** clubs too), so you can't say it's no big deal, or even say they were friendlies. Tey're actually "unofficial competitions".

Agreed. Such a poor article. Just a pure attack on Pele and makes wild accusations about things Pele has apparently done.

**** article. Needs more bias. Even GC has more journalistic talent than that.

OK article. He does come across as very arrogant. But he was an amazing footballer, so its forgivable.

757 goals in 812 games is very impressive, a lot of those goals were against Europes best clubs in the World Club Cup (When it mattered). And winning all his world cups.

Don't think Pele should hate on messi, he is a great character very humble. After watching Messi bag another hat-trick again yesterday, reckon he'll get more goals when he hangs up his boots. Don't think you'll catch him boasting either.

Last edited: