Top clubs consider overseas games

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
The English Premier League is considering playing some matches overseas, BBC Sport can reveal.

More...

God dam, I hope they dont do this, I really hope not. The reason the NFL did it is because their 'clubs' are nothing more than franchises with little history compared to Premier LEague clubs. This would be really selling out and proving all football is about is money. Teams can go on tours in the summer and play friendlys to gain exposure to 'the world', a 39th game of the season is just unneccessary and totally ridiculous. There's no sign of La Liga or Serie A doing this that I'm aware of so I don't see why the idiots running our game should consider it either.

so stupid. will make england a laughing stock.

yup, surely this will never happen

dont really see how it woudl work either, who would wanna see boro v derby etc, when those games dont even sellout in this country where their fans are

What a **** idea. I wish there was less money in football so greedy ***** wouldn't come up with such ridiculous concepts.

tis such a silly idea, with sole aim of making money, is not about football at all

Terrible idea, I hope it never happens. If clubs want to increase their fan base that's what the pre-season tours etc are for.

Tis simply for the money....

I can see certain advantages for this but a good point has been brought up - and the one thing that should stop it from happening the fact that...a team like...say Sunderland could be fighting to stay in the prem....and in this international game they get selected to play Man Utd, where as another team down there get someone like, i don't know...Birmingham?....

I realise Sccuddamore has said that the games will be played in January so "teams should have enough chance to change what has happened" but still, it's ridiculous....a team could go down by a point...because they were unlucky enough to be drawn against a big team like Manure, **** or Boro....

And i don't even think games involving the likes of boro/derby/sunderland/birmingham/blackburn/wigan etc will sell out a stadium abroad (they barely manage it here - apart from maybe the mackems).

Anyway, there is 3 years for the idea to be thrown out the window before it actually happens.

At least you finally caught up with the rest of the world and have 7 subs.

I really don't think FIFA will allow this plan to actually happen regardless. Platini is having his usual moan about it and mocking English football but he does that on a regular basis anyway and he is convinced Blatter isn't for the idea so hopefully there is no need to worry about this succeeding. I haven't heard from one football fan who is backing the idea completely either.

At least they have the sense to allow seven substitues now. :bigeyes: