Top flight ponders Euro play-offs

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 1K
villa deserved it so much, they over the whole seaon they finished 6oO)

As much as it pains me to say he's right, Villa weren't good enough to qualify for the CL, its like Man U coming second to Chelsea this season and somebody saying "hang on they did really well, have a playoff for the premiership winners", no because its the team who gets the most points over the whole season. If you can't make fourth spot over the whole season you dont deserve champions league revenue.

This seems to me just to punish whoever finishes in 4th place, after all, they've been better over the course of a season...

It would be typical that in my dreams Spurs finally make fourth then have to go into a play-off and then lose the final to a team that finished in seventh. Keep it as it is.

If a team finishes fourth, they deserve the champions league place, why would 5th, 6th or 7th deserve it?

Taking last year as an example, it would have been Arsenal, Everton, Villa & Fulham. The odds are stacked firmly in Arsenal's favour, which pretty much shows this isn't about giving other clubs a chance or making the league more interesting, it's purely to make money. Not only that but there was a 9 point gap between 4th and 5th and then another 9 point gap between 6th and 7th. This would make sense if the league was finishing with 3 or 4 points between 4th and 7th but it's not.. Clubs like Villa, Everton, Tottenham and City can't compete with CL clubs yet.

Last edited:
it would be interesting, at least then theres a sense of teams possibly earning a place in the champions league rather than buying their way into it (cough manchester city and chelsea cough) (A)

If they do this, they'll have to have a Relegation Play Off too, for 18,17,16 and 15th positions. pointless idea adding even more games. is this a way around getting the International fixtures they were off about last year i wonder...?

If they do this, they'll have to have a Relegation Play Off too, for 18,17,16 and 15th positions. pointless idea adding even more games. is this a way around getting the International fixtures they were off about last year i wonder...?

It's because the 39th game idea was an epic fail. If the team who finished 4th really was good enough then surely they would win the play offs?

You could argue all day about it. Teams who finish 3rd in the championship, maybe miss out on auto promotion on the last day...then **** up the play offs. Should they be allowed into the premiership?

Liverpool were allowed into the champions league despite finishing 5th.

Like this idea alot. Cant hurt anyone trying it once at least

I guess it would be pretty interesting, but I'm still against it.

Like others have said, the team in fourth place fought to be there, and like someone said, last season Arsenal came fourth and were clear of Everton in fifth by 9 points, no one can say Everton, Aston Villa, etc. deserve to be in the CL more than the team who placed fourth, because they simply played better throughout the season.

So, yeah.. Would be interesting but I think it's a bad idea.

What would of been better was if the top three go to the CL and also the winner of the F.A cup which will give the cup a bit more credibility which it used to have.

it is completely taking out the purpose of finishing 4th etc, teams could just aim for 7rh, bit silly really.

I agree it would be a poor idea. Not only will it be unfair for the team who finishes 4th, but it will reduce the quality of the Champion's League overall, which is widely renowned as the most difficult and greatest club tournament around.

So yeah, I'd be against it personally. Still doesn't surprise me that the top 4 clubs are against it, but I am surprised so many other teams are for the idea.

The idea is just absurd, like Redrup has said it would dilute the quality of the Champions League. I'm pretty sure the FA would rather have the top four teams representing the country in the ECL instead of the top 3 + Someone else. No offence to Everton but when they finished 4th did anyone expect them to do anything significant in the ECL?

If anything it also makes it slightly less competitive, what benefit is there to finishing 4th when you can take your foot off the pedal a little and just make sure you're in the top 7. Teams might start resting players for the Premiership and focusing more on the cup competition instead because they have the breathing room.

In my opinion the FA are considering this at the worst possible time, it's the first time in years there's two teams actually capable of breaking into the top 4. Manchester City and Spurs both have the finances available to do well. Although to be honest Spurs have been financially capable of competing for the past few seasons, just mismanagement letting them down.

Having to play 38 games and then having your season decided by a mini-knockout competition is just retarded.

Back