Fionnlagh

Reaction score
Top of the Scots
View attachment 277277

Hello there!
Although a long-time player of the FM series (circa 2006) and a constant reader of this forum I've never attempted a story. Well that's all about to change. I've loaded up all the leagues possible so I could be starting off anywhere I guess.

Bern's (Unemployed) View

The name's Alekhandr Bern - a half Scottish and half Tajiki Sunday league footballer ready to dip his toes into the exciting world of football management. No previous management or indeed coaching experience to speak of (at least in this lifetime) so I promise to the club that gives me my first opportunity that I will fight to take them to the very top before moving on.

Fluent in English and Russian but happy to learn a language if it allows me to manage in a foreign country.
Also able to speak Tajik and Uzbek...very useful! ;)

My long term aim is to get into the Hall of Fame Top 5 Scottish managers (although this will mean displacing the legendary Matt Busby). A tough challenge given the pedigree of Scottish managers.

So with that in mind I suppose it's time to look for a job.

View attachment 277280

Persatuan Sepakbola Nganjuk
(Rough Translation: Nganjuk United FC)

a.k.a Persinga
Nickname: The Ghost Lions

Background:

Formed in 1950, Persinga is a semi-professional Indonesian football club based in Nganjuk, a region in East Java with approximately 1 million inhabitants.

Persinga play in the 3rd tier of Indonesian football in the First Division. Above in the pyramid are the Premier Division and at the top the Super League. It's motto is "Storm the Windy City" which is rather cool. Their home ground is Anjuk Stadium Field, basic facilities with a capacity of 5,000.

View attachment 277286

In a surprising development the unknown quantity Alekhandr Bern, 27, is the new manager at Indonesian First Division outfit Persinga. The Scot, who formerly turned out for Edinburgh Spartans amateur side, must be still scratching his head with disbelief given the fact he doesn't speak Indonesian and his relative lack of experience compared to the other contenders for the job. Sources suggest the 46 year old Chairman Taufiqurrahman was won over by Bern's "impressive football philosophy, rigid ideals and no nonsense approach to man management". Now to his first press conference taking place at the Anjuk Stadium Field.

Last edited:
View attachment 277288
Rambling Bern confuses Reporter at First Press Conference!

Reporter: "Selamat Datang! You sit here at your first press conference having signed on a two year deal. Now you must be sure the locals are wondering why you, a Scottish manager, are plying your trade at a club hardly known within Indonesia, let alone in the rest of the world! How did you come to hear of the club?"

Bern: "Sell-mat Da Tang to you too! To be honest I once put a drunken bet online that the team would win and it won me a bit of money. Ever since then I've kept one eye on the progress, or should I say lack of, in the club. Hopefully I can help to turn this mid table mediocrity around."

Reporter: "Well you're certainly not holding back! Your words suggest that you didn't care to much about the efforts of previous manager Sukarno Putro?"

Bern: "Well don't get me wrong it is a great club with a good history.The club may have a small fan base but it is fanatical and I think it definitely has the potential to go all the way to the top. The facilities are alright for this level of football and there is some good talent here. The board are ambitious, we're on the same page and they have given me free reign to implement my ideas.

I feel sorry that Sukarno Putro had his nervous breakdown but I do have a feeling perhaps he wasn't the right man for the job if the stress got to him."

Reporter: "Alright. This team is famed for their physical approach to the game. Will you be continuing the trend by emphasising your players to get stuck in?"

Bern: "Strength, bravery and determination to get the ball are all virtues if employed smartly. That is what I will be emphasising. I suppose there is potential we will play a bit of 'hoof ball' given certain situations. I am, however, fond of quick..."

Reporter: "Sorry what do you mean 'hoof ball'?"

Bern: "Hang on. I am fond of quick, smart build up play which involves a bit of risk taking. I intend to try to play the ball out from the back and place an emphasis on keeping control of the ball. Now control of the ball doesn't equate to just dominating possession - by setting up right against the opponents we should be able to pressure them into how they use the ball and ensure they can't do what they might want to. Capisce? I think the general level of fitness may be an issue so I want to place more emphasis on that. I want to be running the other teams off the field. To play smart attacking football with good counter attacking it requires your players are able to make dangerous runs and plays at any time in the 90 minutes.

I suppose when it comes to my philosophies on football I am unstable to a certain degree, filled with inner conflicts regarding the best way to play. Hopefully my time here with the stability of a three year contract will allow me to evolve and improve as a manager as well."

Reporter: "Okay I'm not sure I understand all of that but I suppose that's just because my English isn't great. Anyway with regards to bringing players in will you be looking to younger players or experienced players?"

Bern: "Regardless of age the players must exhibit willingness to attempt to change for the better. This may involve being out of their comfort zone in the short term. I emphasise positional dexterity and will want players who are adaptable and can play in a variety of positions. I prefer working with a thin squad able to play in a variety of positions and deal with injuries that way rather than having backups in the various roles. After having my first chats with the lads it seems like the majority are supportive of this approach.

Although I prefer developing home grown talent that I can hold on to, I will definitely be looking to secure some talent through loans."

Reporter: "Erm okay...Will you be looking to offload any players?"

Bern: "It may sound brutal but I am sure there are individuals that won't fit in with my plans here. I'm not going to voice my suspicions as to who these players may be. However we have a busy pre-season ahead of us and everybody will have a chance to get stuck in and prove what they can do.

The wage budget is tight at the moment and freeing up some funds might be an attractive option if we feel we need to bring players in. Long term financial stability is one of the aims of this club so don't expect too much wild spending!"

Chairman Taufiqurrahman: "Right that's enough questions I think. Thank-you for coming but Mr Bern and I still have some administrative details to go over. This concludes our Q and A."

Bern: "Aye, cheers!"

Looking over Pre-Season Fixtures at the Team Meeting

Changing Room, Anjuk Stadium Field

Bern: "I've set up a gruelling schedule in two parts. Now all I'm stressing in the first run is just getting back and improving match fitness and adapting to the new positional play. In the second run we hope to grind out some decent results. This hard work now will pay massive dividends later in the season. Now I'm not saying the goal is promotion but I suppose if all goes well it could be. At the minimum we need need to build a decent platform for next season. Whatever we do let's not just meet our fan's expectations but let's exceed them!"

Team Captain Jaewari Serya (translated from Baha Indonesia):
"<<What is this crazy Jock on about? I do not understand a word. Do any of you?>>"

*The team collectively smile while shaking their heads*

Jaewari Serya:
"<<Anyway the sooner we get this training session out the way the sooner we can go along to the new karaoke club that has opened and get some beers in!>>"

*The team cheer and rush out from the changing room to the field to begin training*

Bern: "That's it lads. Showing a bit of passion- nice one! Wait up though!"

View attachment 277318
BREAKING NEWS: Persinga announce February friendlies!

Persinga have announced their pre-season matches. All away fixtures, a bid apparently to raise revenue, the schedule starts at Persebi on the 1st and ends on the 27th at Gajah Tunggal. The hardest test will come at Persika Karawang on the 19th.

View attachment 277416
January

Transfer Updates:

I don't think I have ever received a more frightening team report than this one. This is going to be very challenging. Only five players that might get even remotely near the starting line up.

View attachment 277415

Team Report upon arriving

View attachment 277414View attachment 277410View attachment 277412View attachment 277411View attachment 277413

Somewhat limited as I can only sign Indonesian players. The good news though is the club is only spending £375 p/w out of a budget of £2,075 p/w. So let the spending begin!

View attachment 277409

Depth Chart:

Strikers:

View attachment 277418 View attachment 277417 View attachment 277420

1. Lampah, 2. Trijati, 3. Prasetyo

Lampah and Trijati were both good deals and should do a good job at leading the line with Prasetyo as backup.

Advanced Midfielders:

View attachment 277432 View attachment 277431 View attachment 277430

1. Musa, 2. Saputra, 3. Yunianto

Musa is the only decent player but the other two can provide backup I suppose.

Midfielders:

View attachment 277428 View attachment 277429
1. Mamay, 2. Iswanto

Mamay ought to boss the midfield at this level but we'll see.

Central Defenders:

View attachment 277424 View attachment 277423 View attachment 277421 View attachment 277422

1. Bauw, 2. Hartono, 3. Widodo, 4. Imam

A Bauw and Hartono pairing gives us stability at the back although Bauw can be effective as a DM/MC too.

Left Back
s:

View attachment 277425
1. Abdullah

Abdullah isn't good enough yet but may develop. Need to get a decent first teamer so will see what's in the coffers.

Right Backs:

View attachment 277427 View attachment 277426
1. Katuuk, 2. Zulfitri
Katuuk will be a shoe-in but Zulfitri will be able enough if Katuuk needs to move into central defence .

Goalkeepers:

View attachment 277419

1. Karisma

Superb goalkeeper for this level. A steal at £1k. Need to organise backup/competition though - possibly through loan market.

Last edited:
Friendlies:

Nice and tight schedule testing us against other teams in our division to get an idea of the level we're playing at. All fixtures were away in an attempt to raise some revenue. No idea why so many Indonesian team names start with 'Per'.

Persebi 2 vs. 6 Persinga
Trijati, Lampah (3) Bauw, Susanto (og)

Great to get off the ground with a strong win. Dominated in terms of possession and chances created. Lampah rounded off a cheeky hat-trick with a delicious placed shot and really could have had more. Still a tiny bit disappointed as both goals conceded were long range efforts the keeper really should have dealt with.

Persiju 0
vs. 2 Persinga
Hartono
, Prasyeto

Looked a real threat from set pieces - really giving their keeper difficulties. Technically better than the opposition so just focused on working the ball into their box. Winger Yunianto had a stormer and assisted both goals.

Persmin 0 vs. 0 Persinga

Much needed wake up call. Based on the first two games I thought we would have little problem in the division but this team were tough - in the first half they kept posession well and countered decently. A red card for them in the second half helped us keep it level. Musa missed a sitter and Trijati wasn't hitting the target too well.

Persidago 1vs. 0 Persinga

Conceded early to an unstoppable effort. Good positive play afterwards gave a run of decent but, alas, unconverted chances. Only our own fault as we had numerous chances to draw and even win it.

Persegi Bali FC 0
vs. 3 Persinga
Imam, Lampah, Faisal (og)

Give a couple of the lads left over from when I took over the squad a run and one of them (Imam) rewards me straight away with a neat header off a corner. Playing with a sweeper in a 3-2-1-2-2 that looks promising. Lampah scored the most audacious lob but injured himself with the effort (not seriously phew!). Trijasti was rewarded for his efforts as he forced an own goal right at the death.

Persika
FC 0 vs. 0 Persinga
In a bore game we didn't even get a shot on target! The opponents luckily couldn't do much better with only one on target. The defensive line however had great games while setting up several chances. Lampah had an awful game.

Gajah Tunggal
1 vs. 1 Persinga
As'ari

We should have won and I can only think it was bad luck. Not really too upset because As'ari scored one of the greatest long range efforts of all time. There was not another player in sight so it wasn't even a freaky cross attempt - the lad knew what he wanted to try and had the confidence to do it. Fair play haha.

Bern's Thoughts: Not a bad month but by no means a great one. Seeing some good positives and the players are beginning to play how I want them to. I do feel like my inability to speak Indonesian Baha is preventing me from motivating at half time team talks.

Player of the Month:

View attachment 277612

Alfredo Mamay

Dominated the midfield with an average of 7.30 in 5 matches. Provided two assists and his defensive efforts were sterling.

Loan Updates:

View attachment 277437 View attachment 277438 View attachment 277439

Balada Placido - SW/DC
Riyandi Putra - AMC/AML
Mocchamed As'ari - WBL/ ML

Three loan signings secured for six months from Super League teams mainly as backup. Most intrigued with the decent sweeper(!) Placido who I will be experimenting with in my formations.

Transfer Updates:

View attachment 277440

Shahar Ginanjar GK - Free Transfer

Provides much needed competition/backup - the fans are excited about his potential.

View attachment 277441

M. Toyib - SW - Free Transfer

After playing around with the loanee sweeper Placido and liking the results I brought in this experienced sweeper on a nice low wage.

View attachment 277443

Heriyanto - MC - Free Transfer
With this signing I'm now satisfied we have enough depth in the middle of the park to survive potential injury crises.

Holiday Time!

With the season not starting till October (Started the game in early 2012 oops!) and the transfer window closed I'm going to holiday till August.

Last edited:
View attachment 277608

August and September

Pre-Season:

The players are back from their holidays and keen to get the promotion bid under way. First though comes the development of match fitness and understanding of the tactics and formations to be employed. A number of testing friendlies are to come.

View attachment 277574

Due to the lack of effective wide men available here is the formation and starting 11 I will be mainly using.

View attachment 277575

Persim 0 vs. 3 Persinga
Katuuk, Prasyeto, Heriyanto

Heartening start. Completely denied them even a chance, let alone a shot at goal and, although we didn't convert as many of our many chances as we should have in the first half we made up for that right at the end of the game tacking on a couple.

Perseden 0 vs. 2 Persinga
Lampah, Yendra (o.g.)

Again in control of the match and creating lots of chances. The use of a sweeper seems to be really cutting down on their chances. Already a couple of the Super League clubs are sniffing round a couple of our players.

Persinga 0 vs. 1 PS Bengkulu

Against Premier League opposition we held our own in the first half with the lion's share of possession (71%!) and chances. With sweeper Toyib taking a knock just after the break we were forced into a new formation which didn't allow us to dominate as much, resulting in the conceding of the goal. Little bit disappointed in the chances missed. Highlights that I need to find cover in the sweeper position.

Persinga 1 vs. 2 Persipro Probolinggo
Widodo
Played the reserve team to help build their fitness and they surprised me by not doing too badly. Widodo scored with a sweet long range header.

Persinga 1 vs. 1 Barito Putra Banjarmasin
Prasetyo

Encouraging draw in which Prasyeto missed a penalty but attoned for it by scoring a last minute goal.

Persinga 2 vs. 0 Persbul
Hamid
, Heriyanto
Hamid in his first match scores powerfully from outside the box. Tactics are working really well to cut down on opponents chances. Heriyanto rounds off the victory with a lovely strike almost mirroring the first goal.

Persinga 2 vs. 1 Persemalra
Prasyeto
, Lampah (pen)

Persinga 1vs. 0 Persemalra
Isharyanto

PSB Bogor 0vs. 2 Persemalra
Lampah (2)

Perssin Sinjai 2 vs. 2 Persemalra
Lampah, Syarifudin

PS Biak Numfor 1 vs. 1 Persemalra
Hamid

A string of strong performances against Premier Division opposition while rotating players .

Bern's View: "The pre-season has been great and with the players all match fit and with a squad, luckily, without injuries we're ready to start our push for promotion."

Player of the Month:

August

M. Toyib - SW

View attachment 277610

Solid form and near perfect passing denied the opponents many chances.

September

View attachment 277611

Malwan Lampah - ST

4 goals and 1 assist in 5 games against tough opposition speaks for itself.

Transfers In:

View attachment 277573

Sunaryo DL - Free Transfer

Probably first team left back. Not the best and quite old but he's on low wages and we'll see how he fares.

View attachment 277572 View attachment 277579 View attachment 277580

Isharyanto - DM/MC - Free Transfer

Irwansyah - MC - Free Transfer

Abdhul Hamid - ST - Free Transfer

Three supposed 'coups' for the club come in at good value. Looking forward to their performances especially from experienced striker Hamid.

Transfers Out:

Iswanto - MC - Free Transfer to First Division side PS KSB

After securing a lot of quality in the middle of the park it made sense to move Iswanto on.

Last edited:
View attachment 277658

October

Now the hard work really begins!

View attachment 277659

View attachment 277660 Bern Set To Make Managerial Debut at Jakarta Timur FC!

The Ghost Lions head to the capital ciyt for an opener against a team many pundits suggest will likely be pushing for promotion. Both Bern and his managerial counterpart Firmandoyo have suggested they are going into the game looking for a win.

Jakarta Timur FC
0 vs. 1 Persinga

Lampah

A tricky test to kick off the season. Two real chances inside the first 15 minutes as Hamid tests the goalkeeper and Irwansyah fires against the crossbar. Go in scoreless at the break having dominated possession and going close several more times. Have looked a bit exposed to the counter, especially down our right flank. I tell the boys they were unlucky not to be leading and they look a lot more motivated. Sure enough in the 55th minute right-back Katuuk whips in a delicious cross which Lampah powers under the keeper with a diving header. In the 68th minute Katuuk again powers up the right hand side crossing to Lampah's head who just can't get the required direction on the ball. Twenty minutes from time Lampah still looks a constant threat: dribbling through defenders, almost scoring from a free kick and rounding the keeper for a slightly offside disallowed goal.

MOTM: Stenly Katuuk RB

View attachment 277660 Bern says the focus has to be on Persebangga encounter

With the Ghost Lions off to a winning start Bern suggests that the players must not get carried away and must focus on next match.

Bern: "Of course the win is nice but we need to remember we're hosting Persebangga next week, who are in my eyes one of the best teams in the division - there is no place for complacency in this squad and we must use this momentum constructively."

Persinga 2 vs. 0 Persebangga
Irwansyah, Lampah

A good start. Heriyanto cuts in from the right flank and uses his strength to get a fierce shot away between two defenders. The keeper manages to parry the shot but Katuuk, in an attacking wing back role, is there for the rebound before he is tripped inside the penalty area. Irwansyah calmy steps up and places it in the right hand corner to put Persinga ahead. Hamid has a wonderful chance from an inch perfect Heriyanto pass to double the lead two minutes later only to fire miles over. Immediately after the break Lampah goes on a mazy run past two defenders to fire under the keeper and in off the post. With a two goal cusion Persinga immediately switch to a more possessive system effectively limiting their opponents chances.

MOTM: Katuuk RB

View attachment 277660 Persinga take their chances to defeat Persebangga!

Persebagga Manager Sihite:
"It was a really disappointing defeat in a game where I expected at the minimum a point."

PSBK
2 vs. 1 Persinga
Heriyanto, Lampah

An early counter from one of their corners gave us 3 on 2 but Hamid was a bit greedy and didn't look for the pass when it was the better option. Not to worry as in the 15th minute Heriyanto MC, after a lovely series of patient passes around their penalty area, wrong-footed a defender and slipped through to drive home from the edge of the box. Unfortunately the lead didn't last long as Bauw DC scuffs the ball while trying to clear a cross and the opposing player overpowers him for a tap in. After the break we have a series of neat build ups but with awful finishing and we pay for it as they score indirectly from a free kick. Katuuk is continuing to impress up the right side creating constant chances. Heriyanto injured himself with 5 minutes to go - just after I had used my last substitute!

MOTM: Heriyanto MC

View attachment 277660 Heriyanto injury is a massive blow to Persinga!

Bern:
"Aye it looks like the broken arm sustained could keep him out for nearly 2 months- it's a massive blow and hopefully the team can rally round despite his absense"

Persinga 1 vs. 0 Persitema
Lampah

Dominated possession and chances in a game where I'm disappointed we didn't score more. The breakthrough came in the 64th minute as Lampah rose above the keeper to slam home a powerful header from a Mamay MC flick on. As Katuuk's clever lob set Hamid free down the right flank to cross,
Lampah had a chance to score again with a diving header that was just wide. The hosts did a fine job of limiting their opponents time on the ball and had a host of chances themselves. Into added time Lampah beat the offside trap only to be brought down just outside the box from behind with the offending player receiving a straight red.

MOTM: Katuuk RB

PS Bangka 1 vs. 1 Persinga Isharyanto

The first match we've been favourites for so I'm really expecting a good win. Sure enough we're in good control with sustained pressure - almost going close from several set pieces and Lampah skipping around defenders before hitting the post. Just before the half, Mamay lays off Isharyanto who smacks it in from about 35 yards - wondergoal! Their team looks stunned and already exhausted with two injury substitutions already. In the dressing room I tell the team to take control of the match and use the ball smartly and they look concentrated on the task. The second half plays out without much drama. However disaster strikes in the last minute of the game as a speculative effort from one of their players hits the post and falls to the feet of their main striker who slams home. Very disappointed as I knew out lack of a cushion would eventually cost us. Need to start scoring more when we're leading.

MOTM: Mamay MC

Table after five games:

View attachment 277653

Record: W3 D 1 L1

Joint third position and two points off the leaders isn't too bad at all but I'm worried by the fact the joint leaders are scoring nearly three times more. Still I suppose I can be generally proud of the defence...just need to work out how to get the strikers in form.

Player of the Month:

View attachment 277661

Stenly Katuuk - RB

No question who deserves it this month. With three man of the match performances, two assists, several crucial interceptions and an average rating of 7.50!

Last edited:

Only three games this month with the last one the hardest - a stern test playing host to Penajam.

Persinga 2 vs. 0 Persewar
Lampah, Widodo

Dominant performance with a really special goal in the 57th minute from Lampah who dribbled skillfully past the whole defensive line before powering home. Substitute centre back Widodo rounded off the victory with an accurate header from the corner at the far post in the 77th minute.

MOTM: Lampah ST

PS Sumbawa Barat 1 vs. Persinga 2
Lampah, Bauw

Inside the first minute Lampah beats the offside trap and scores from an Irwansyah lob but it is dubiously ruled offside. In the 11th minute Lampah scores a magical goal after skinning two defenders before placing his shot with sublime skill. The assist again came from Irwansyah but in truth it was all Lampah. Persinga push forward with sustained pressure over the rest of the half. Opposing player Nanadang is lucky to escape red after pulling down Lampah following a perfectly weighted long ball from left-back Sunaryo. Mamay almost scores in the resulting free kick and forces a corner which Irswanyah nearly volleys in apart from a last ditch goal-line clearance from the defender on the near post. In the 63rd minute Katuuk uncharacteristically gave the ball away resulting in an easy goal for the opponents. However the players' fitness levels looked much better and were staying in control right up to finish. They were aptly rewarded as Bauw scored a header from a corner three minuts from time. Bauw added to this impressive feat at the other end making an important goal line clearance right at the death.

MOTM: Bauw DC/DM/MC

View attachment 277698 PS KSB Manager Jenniwardin admits "we didn't deserve anything out of the game"; Bern believes 'disappointing' strikers will soon be up and running.

Jenniwardin: "Of course to concede in the 90th minute hurts but you have to keep performing all the way to full time. To be honest I think we were lucky to not be behind at that point anyway. It simply wasn't a good enough performance and I must apologise to our fans who came out to support us. "

Bern: "A moment like that is great for giving us belief in ourselves but I would have preferred to have the result tied up earlier. For the grip we had on the game in terms of possession and chances I am admittedly a little disappointed in our other strikers. I know they have the talent so it won't be long before this temporary slump is over and they bag a few goals. "

Persinga 1 vs. Penajam 0
Lampah

Changed up the formation a little by starting promising youngster Musa (AMR) instead of out of form striker Hamid. My god! Lampah nicks the ball of them right from kickoff and fires under their keeper 14 seconds in. Good start! Lampah really seems to be revelling in the lone striker role, constantly making dangerous runs at their defence. In at the break and I warn them not to be complacent and to try and get another goal. Although we don't we do create a few neat chances and remain solid at the back.

The lads really seem to have exerted themselves so it's probably good they have a week off!

MOTM: Lampah ST

View attachment 277698 Tinkerer Bern's decision to play previously untested 5-1-2-1-1 pays off!

The win, their third in a row takes them joint first with high scoring PSGL Gayo Lues.

Player of the Month:

View attachment 277699

Malwan Lampah
- ST

Constantly terrorising the opponents defence and bagging three goals in three matches and an average rating of 8.10 the award has to go to Lampah. If only I had another striker like him :/ Lampah also set the record for fastest goal in First Division history against Penajam - only 14 seconds into the game!

Last edited: