Top Striker number 9 pressing the 2 Centre Backs

nemesisal

Reaction score
Hi I am playing a 4-3-3 possession type football characterized by high pressing and short quick passing. 1 Top striker as a number 9 and 2 wingers up front. 2 more attacking midfielders and 1 holding midfielder. The problem I have is when I want to press the opponents build up. my midfield triangle gets pulled out of shape. I want to get my striker to close and press the 2 centre backs with my wingers locking the fullbacks. My attacking mids locking the defensive/central mids and my defensive mid locking the opponents 2nd striker or att mid. What generally happens is that my striker is late to press the center backs and one my att. mids moves out of the triangle to press him and that frees up the opponents midfield player so that they come out of the press. any ideas????

The key here is to ensure that the players has lower mentality than one would normally use along with a high closing down setting as the mentality dictates how he values his attacking( like t-balls, runs from deep) and defensive settings( closing down). You could also ise the OIs to close down their DCs set to always.

i think the key is in the opponent way to build up their play. for attacking usually their keeper give the ball to FB so lock down the FB, and for diect play that opponent keeper usually kick the ball up front so maybe you need tall holding midfielder that naver loose in the air

I always get my striker to press the CB, get my wingers to either press high up the pitch, or track back.

In the striker's OI, set the defensive instructions to:

Closing Down: Maximum/A couple of notches off maximum
Tackling: Either Medium or Hard
Marking: Zonal
Tight Marking: Yes

I would leave the mentality slider as it is, because he will still press the defenders even if you have the highest mentality! (Tried it)

To get your wingers to press high up the pitch, it is the same as the strikers, but with slightly lower closing down. If you want them to track back, set closing down to about halfway, with man marking and don't have hard tackling! :)