Torquay United Story - On The Way Up!!!

Torquay_93

Reaction score
Torquay United Story (2nd season)
At the beginning of last season Ex-Torquay player Jamie Stephens took the role of manager at his old club, following Paul Buckle's shock departure to join Torquay's rival club exeter after they offered him a very generous contract with better prospects.

Jamie Stephens in an interview stated "I am delighted to join my old club they have always been a club I have enjoyed being at and now I have the responsibility of leading them to greatness which I hope I can succeed in."

My Expectations:
1st Season: Promotion to League 1.
2nd Season: Top Half finish / Build squad.
3rd Season: Promotion to Championship.
4th Season: Consolidate position / Build squad.
And so on...
Jamie Stephens managed to perform above the boards expectations last season finishing 3rd in League 2 and gaining automatic promotion to League 1 for the team.
Interview: "I am ecstatic with the performances we put in this this season and the whole squad played brilliantly with real passion. We also made a great capture of ***** Topp and our loan players G.Kakuta, Jay Emmanual-Thomas, D Prutton and J.Dudgeon also played an important part in our success."

Over the holidays Stephens thought it was neccesary to bring in more experienced talent if we were going to survive in league 1 and perhaps get rid of the less useful players to the club.

Transfers Out:
Chris Hargreaves (Free transfer)
Steve Adams (Free transfer)
Michael Brough (Free transfer)
Matt Green (Free transfer)
Ben Joyce (Free transfer)

Stephens stated that Hargreaves played an important role for the team last season and provided us with a great service over the past 3 seasons but felt it was time for him to move on as he was lacking fitness at the ripe old age of 38.

Transfers In:
John Guidetti --- From _____ --- Free transfer
Seyfo Soley --- From Notts Co --- Free transfer
David Prutton --- From Leeds --- Free transfer
Michael Poke --- From Southampton --- Free transfer
Slobodan Rajkovic --- From Chelsea --- Loan

Stephens has also been reported to be interested in Amaral Pernambucano but is unable to obtain a work permit for him at the moment.

So just starting my friendlies now and will post results and screenshots on how that goes soon. Just starting my 2nd season and am currently in League 1. Hope you enjoy my story and please follow. :D

Also I know it was a bit weird starting a story a season late but I only thought about doing one when I was halfway through the season so I thought I'd start it next season instead.

Last edited:
Pretty high expectations there mate

Pretty high expectations there mate

Yh I suppose they are pretty high but I did acheive my first one though as I got promoted to League 1 in my first season.
Also what do you think of my story? I think I may have write to much lol.

P.S: I've asked to join that FIFA 10 league sounds fun hope I get in as I know there is limited spaces.

Last edited:
They are pretty high expectations, but I imagine you'll do it. Those signings are decent. Don't understand how you got Rajkovic though, I tried to get him on my charlton game, in the championship, and Chelsea are my affiliated club and he still wouldn't come.
but ah well best of luck to ya mate

They are pretty high expectations, but I imagine you'll do it. Those signings are decent. Don't understand how you got Rajkovic though, I tried to get him on my charlton game, in the championship, and Chelsea are my affiliated club and he still wouldn't come.
but ah well best of luck to ya mate

Cheers I just hope more people will start following than this. Yh i'm glad I got Rajkovic he's an amazing DR for me atm.
Will post the results from my friendlies, transfers and other stuff tomorrow as it's midnight and i'm pretty tired to be honest.

Cheers I just hope more people will start following than this. Yh i'm glad I got Rajkovic he's an amazing DR for me atm.
Will post the results from my friendlies, transfers and other stuff tomorrow as it's midnight and i'm pretty tired to be honest.

yeah tell me about it, like 2 people have read mine lol.
rajkovic is a quality player for championship let alone league 1, so I wouldn't be surprised if you got promoted. you got any affiliated clubs?
okie doke mate. laters.

Nah I haven't got any Parent or Feeder clubs. I tried to find some feeder clubs but none were decent enough and my board couldn't find a parent club for me.

You know i love these stories where people pick out low clubs and aim high wow people like you inspire me once i finish my celtic objective im gonna take control of a low club (you wanna know the objective just check out my thread link underneath sig)

Try and find someone called Agyemann from QPR.....I loaned him and if he wasnt injured he scores every game

You know i love these stories where people pick out low clubs and aim high wow people like you inspire me once i finish my celtic objective im gonna take control of a low club (you wanna know the objective just check out my thread link underneath sig)

I'm glad I inspire you lol. :p
If you start a stroy with a lower league club i'll follow if it's good.

Try and find someone called Agyemann from QPR.....I loaned him and if he wasnt injured he scores every game

I'll have a look at the player suggested later i've just gotta fnish some CW and i'll be staright on updating my story.

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Results from Pre-Season Friendlies:

Rushden 0 - 2 Torquay
I was impressed with the teams perforance in this game, especially with the defending as Rushden had little or no chances in this game. D.Prutton earned himself a Man Of The Match performance with him and Sills capping a goal for there team.

Torquay 1 - 1 Scunthorpe
As Scunthorpe were a Championship side I was extremely pleased with this result, a very even game all round and on a different day the result could've gone either way. Benyon performed well with a late equaliser but loanee S.Rajkovic earned a Man Of The Match performance and I am impressed with this signing so far.

Torquay 1 - 2 Sunderland
Fantastic result a very evenly matched game for Sunderland being a Premiership side although they did create a few more chances than we did. The game was 1-1 until the 91st minute were Sunderland were awarded a controversial penalty giving them a 2-1 victroy. S.Rajkovic was awarded Key Man Watch for Torquay and had another sensational game.

Torquay 0 - 6 Chelsea
Even though Chelsea are a top Premiership side I have to say I was slightly dissapointed in the performance, I don't think we even managed to get a proper chance at goal all game. This match was televised as well.

Torquay 0 - 8 Tottenham
Another heavy defeat from a top Premiership side however I was slightly sympathetic with the team as I felt we were very unlucky not to get at least 1 consolation goal as we had a few decent chances. Tottenham also played there strongest side for some reason. S.Rajkovic also got another key Man Watch performance.

Torquay 0 - 1 Crystal Palace
An extremely even matched game were I felt we should have got at least a draw from. Some fine chances and the only goal of the game came from a Crystal Palace penalty in the opening minutes of the match. I'm getting worried though that we haven't found the net in the last three games even though it is against strong opposition.

Transfers In:
Nathan Rooney --- From ____ --- Free transfer

Torquay have also to noted to be interested in signing Jay Emmanuel-Thomas who spent a season long loan at Torquay last season and performed admirably in defence and was a key man in there promotion success.

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

First Month Review
This first month in League 1 has been slightly dissapointing as we are currently in the relegation zone after 4 games. So I decided to do some more Wheelin 'n' Dealin in the transfer market. I just hope the rest of the season provides me with better results as we have been unfortunate to say the least.

Transfers In:
Nacer Barazite --- From Arsenal --- Loan
Kyle Walker --- From Tottenham --- Loan

Torquay failed to sign the young talent of Jay Emmanuel-Thomas. Jay said in an interview "Even though torquay are a favored club of mine and the ywere good to me last season, i'm afraid the pay packet just wasn't acceptable."
The work permit for Amaral Pernambucano was also denied.

Norwich 1 - 1 Torquay
First game of the season and not a bad result against strong opposition. I felt the game was evenly matched maybe even stretching towards us coming out on top. We did go 1-0 down but Super Sills equalised quickly. Sorry no screenshot for this match as I forgot.

Southend 3 - 0 Torquay
I was bitterly dissapointed in this result being knocked out of the League Cup in the first round again. No excuses for this match though it was just a poor performance all round and one I hope isn't repeated to often.

Torquay 2 - 3 Colchester
I couldn't believe the outcome of this match we were winning 2-0 with 2 beautiful goals from Topp but they managed to claw one back just before Half-Time. Second-Half starts, very even well balanced game, they get one chance and score the equaliser. Then in the dying minutes of the game they score the luckiest goal ever to beat us 3-2. Disgrace.

Charlton 2 - 0 Torquay
I was definetly expecting a loss going into this game as I knew Charlton have a strong squad pushing for promotion. The game was pretty even both teams creating chances, unfortunately for us we didn't finish ours and that cost us in the end. But Charlton definetly deserved it and fair play to them.

Torquay 1 - 0 Notts Co
Our first win of the season and things are starting to look up, we dominated in possession and chances although Notts Co did get a few and Poke performed well when called upon for us to keep his clean sheet. Very happy with the performance and result from this match. :D

Carlisle 4 - 2 Torquay
After going in 2-2 at HT and looking at good value to maybe pulling ahead I was quite surprised to find we lost 4-2. I was getting extremely annoyed with the referee in this game as 2 of there goals came from Free-Kicks and we had 2 penalty calls turned down. I felt we deserved at least a draw from this game but the Football Gods don't seem to be shining upon us at the moment.

League Position: 21st
W: 1 D: 1 L: 3

My Player Of The Month:
Rajkovic again has put in consistently good performances so far this season and has been a great loan signing. Topp also a close contender for this title with his performance in the Colchester match but Barazite my other loanee has been playing below my expectations but he still has a lot of time to prove himself.

Question:
This may seem like I stupid question but I have got my screenshots and I don't know how to put them into this thread copy & paste just doesn't seem to work lol. :p

Last edited:
Thanks I just hope more people start following this story otherwise I don't see the point in continuing.
Any tips on how to make it better anyone?

u have signed some good players there the best one for me is barazite as he is playing fantsically for my preston team (u can follow it if u want just search for "accrington stanley who are they" and u will find it...)

and i will be following urs because i like the lowere league storys

Second Month Review:

Transfer Market
As the Transfer Market has drawn to a close Stephens has made no new signings and currently shows no interest any players at the moment.
(Any decent loan/free transfer signings for a DC or an AM position would be much appreicated).

Torquay Player Blog
Nicky Wroe & Elliot Benyon have shown concerns that they think the club is under acheiving at the moment and feel if carry on the same way we will never reach our season goal of a Top-Half finish.
Inuries: K.Walker (5-7 weeks), N.Barazite (2-3weeks) and W.Carlisle (About 6 days).

Torquay 1 - 1 Southampton
Even though Torquay were at Home they were constantly playing on the backfoot going down 1-0 in the first half but Sills managing to score a 61st minute equaliser from a tight angle. Todd got a Man Of The Match and was a rock in defence for us.

Torquay 1 - 3 Huddersfield
Another Home defeat and Torquay were completely dominated in this match with them only having 1-2 chances all game but still managed to get an amazing goal from midfielder Prutton. Barazite played well in this game until he was substituted in the 27th minute because of an injury.

Torquay 1 - 0 Hartlepool
Only our second win of the season but a game were we could've won by 2-3 nil. With a classy 14th minute goal by Torquays current top goalscorer W.Topp, in this game we decided to revert back to our 4-1-2-1-2 formation which payed of for us.

Oldham 0 - 0 Torquay
I was surprised to find there was no goals in this game which was very evenly matched with both sides creating many chances. Unfortunately the finishing was below par for both teams today. Todd was sent off in the early stages of the match and from then on I feared the worst but we defended well and got a deserved point for our efforts.

Barnsley 3 - 3 Torquay
After being 2-0 down at HT I thought we was gonig to have another heavy defeat on our hands but no a few changes in tactics at HT (switched to a 4-2-4 counter formation rather than my usual 4-1-2-1-2). And that proved wonders for us with both my substitute wingers scoring (Carayol and Stevens) and drawing us level we looked like xoming out on top. The game then took a turn for the worst as they went 3-2 in the dying minutes of the match but Super Sills had other ideas with a fantastic finish from an excellent Carayol cross.
Carayol was obviously awarded Man Of The Match.

League Table:

sfcyg3.png

My Player Of The Month:
This was a tough decision this month as Topp and Sills were top contenders for this but this month I am going to award it to... S.Rajkovic as he often gets a 'Key Man Watch' performance and hasn't had a bad game yet.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Does anyone know how to put screenies into a thread as i've got them I just don't know how to upload them. THX. :D

Last edited:
Couldn't find anyone named 'slabodan' also been reading your Chelsea story. You do a commentary on every game it's really interesting, i'm following.

Does anyone know how to put screenies into a thread? May seem like a stupid question but I honestly don't know. XD

Sorry guys won't be updating story for a day or two because I have an A Level Psychology exam on wednesday I need to revise for otherwise i've got a feeling i'll fail lol. :p

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 03:05 PM ----------

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Second Round
Yeovil - V - Torquay
Formations: Yeovil (4-4-2) / Torquay (4-2-4)

Match Commentary:

Today's game should be interesting with both sides looking for Cup glory including a heated rivalry between the teams which should bring extra passion to the performance. The rain should also provide slip ups that both teams need to aware of so should be interesting. Anyway lets start the match.

1min: Torquay get the game underway.
4min: Dobie intercepts a Wroe pass in midfield, who then plys the ball right to Shroot, he tries a long 40 yd pass over the top of Uniteds defence... shame to much on it for Bond to get to.
5min: GOAL!!! Disaster strikes as Torquay keeper Poke fumbles the ball which drops for an easy finish for Bond.
6min: Torquay Kick-Off
9min: Hutchins plays a lovely one-two pass with Way, who then plays the ball down the line for Shroot who drives a first time cross into the box, cleared well by Ellis. Ball drops to Bond who lays of a good pass to Dobie who’s got space...
10min: GOAL!!! Dobie rifles in a well struck half volley, yeovil are all over torquay so far scoring 2 in quick succession.
11min: Torquay Kick-Off again
18min: Stevens gets the ball on the wing and strides forward in the rain, a few quick stepovers and surges past Jones he then puts in a low cross to the far post, cleared for a Corner.
Nicholson tries an out-swinging corner, which is cleared by Welsh who accidently heads it along his box, Ellis intercepts and lays of Wroe who unleashes a fierce drive at goal but his effort goes wide.
25min: Bond gets through on goal from a lovely long pass but blasts it straight at Poke who parries brilliantly. A wasted chance by Yeovil.
32min: Torquay bring on T.Thompson to replace Wroe and switch to a 4-4-2 formation and play Thompson in a AMC role rather than MC.
34min: Stevens dribbles past Jones yet again, he causes Yeovil all kinds of problems, he crosses to the far post and Topp connects with an adventurous diving header which is well held by Nelson. Great play by Stevens.
39min: Andy Welsh contiinues to use his pace on the wing and centres the ball, Shroot beats Nicholson to the header and is saved by Poke. Excellent Yeovil move there.
43min: A corner after a cleared interception from a long ball ahead of Sills. Nicholson aims his corner for near post, Carayol gets his head on it but the balls parried by Nelson...
44min: GOAL!!! Ellis applies an easy finish from a parried ball by Nelson. Torquay are back in with a chance now.
Half Time: Yeovil 2 - 1 Torquay Substitution: Bevan [ON] Poke [OFF]
46min: Yeovil Kick-Off
60min: Weksh skips past Rajkovic and passes along the ground for bond to run onto, Ellis intercepts but is re-tackled by Bond who shoots quickly, an excellent diving save from Bevan.
64min: The ball goes out for a throw, Hutchins takes and Way brings the ball forward and passes back to Jones who plays a deadly ball into the Torquay area for Welsh...
65min: GOAL!!! Welsh smacks in a delightful half volley. It looks like it could be all over for Torquay now.
66min: Torquay Kick-Off
68min: Nicholson tries a long throw into the box, Stevens gets on the end of it and finds space to tr ythe half volley, Nelson parries it back into play...
69min: GOAL!!! It bounces of the leg of Welsh and goes in for an own goal, Torquay have now got a lucky lifeline.
70min: Yeovil Kick-Off
78min: Rajkobic runs down the wing with the ball but he finds he can't go no further so passes down the line for an overlapping Nicholson who tries another low cross into the area. Topp is free of his marker...
79min: GOAL!!! Topp finishes perfectly after a Nicholson cross. A superb comeback for Torquay and a goal he'll never forget.
80min: Yeovil Kick-Off again
82min: Sills was fouled by Baggridge and is awarded a free-kick on the edge of the area, Nicho steps up to take it... ohhh just wide of the mark some goal that would've been.
Full Time - Penalties
Yeovil 3 - 3 Torquay

Torquay went on to win 6-5 after some nerve-wracking penalties as Nicholson missed Torquays second Penalty so Yeovil were leading 3-1 but on the finishing penalty Stam blazed his over the bar and Prutton drew us level at 4-4. Bevan then went on to save from Baggridge as he tried a shot down the center... Carayol then finished it up by applying the fantastic winning penalty.
WHAT A GAME!!!

Note: From now on all important matches I will do a full report on like this one. By important I mean Cup, Play-Offs, Rival matches etc...

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Third Month Review

Transfer Market:
N/A

Torquay Player Blog:
Squad harmony in the Gulls Camp lately has been at an all time low recently with some devastasting losses and just overall rotten luck on some results, it really has knocked there confidence.

Current Injuries: M.Poke (2 days)

Torquay 1 - 1 Wycombe
For the opening 20 minutes of this match Torquay dominated possession and chances but still didn't manage to find the net. They were soon given a "wake up call" by Wycombe as they took the lead near the end of the First-Half from a sleek finish. Torquay reacted immediately and Torquay drew level after another goal from our leading scorer W.Topp.
This was a match that could've gone either way. Rajkovic also has got a 'Key Man Watch' performance again but not quite a Man Of The Match display.

Rotherham 3 - 0 Torquay
Rotherham got promoted alongside Torquay last season and they managed to get the double over the Gulls, so I wasn't ot shocked at this result as we struggled against them last season as well. I don't know what it is about Rotherham whatever I try they always win by a good margin as well.

Torquay 1 - 1 Swindon
Swindon who were lying 5th in the table struggled today against relegation battlers Torquay. After mountains of pressure and offensive probing play by Torquay nothing seemed to get through the heart of Swindons defence. Eventually Swindon played a quick counter attack and broke the deadlock going 1-0 up. A Nicholson corner led to a mad scramble in the 6 yd box were C.Todd managed to toe-poke one home...1-1. Todd got a Man Of The Match award and I felt this was a game were we should've got all 3 points from.

Gillingham 4 - 2 Torquay
My assisstant manager advised me to play a 4-3-1-2 formation, so I did. I feel this decision cost me dearly in this match as the team just couldn't cope with this new tactic. It was 2-2 at HT and what I thought was gonna be another draw but Gillingham came out strong and 'ran rings' around us winning 4-2 in the end.

Brighton 2 - 0 Torquay
Even though brighton are high up the league table I was felt confident of my game plan going into this match. Only problem was that my strikers didn't seem like they wanted to score today, having roughly the same amount of chances, but Brightons finishing showed the quality difference between the sides today.

League Table:

96axk3.png

My Player Of The Month:
Again this was an incredibly tough decision to make and no one this month was really outstanding but this title has to go to... Chris Todd, Torquays Captain. He came back from injury and put in some solid performances at the back also managing to bag himself a goal as well which is a bonus. Second place would be ***** Topp for his important goals he has scored this month abd third place goes to S.Rajkovic as he often gets a 'Key Man Watch' performance.

Last edited:
No updates in 2 weeks. Think this one might be finished...

Click the paper click on the reply post then click browse and while in game press Alt or Control and F9 is it?