Torres injuries cost us - Benitez

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 691
I agree with you about Mash Lee. But let me play the devil's advocate a moment. Mash's role in the team is to break up the opposition attacks to allow the defence to regroup. I think a large part of his mouthiness is to allow the defence time to get back into position behind him. I utterly dislike calling for bookings for other players, but I think that's just Mash's personality - he seems to have a sense of 'fair play' which makes him want to call the referees out if they're being inconsistent. I've seen footage of him chasing team mates about to lamp them if they've done a dirty tackle in training so I guess that's just how Mash is wired. His diving also seems to come when he's caught in possession. I think the role he plays is one where to be caught in possession is to risk conceding a goal so he makes the most of any contact in which he loses the ball. Lot of things I dislike about the game at the top level now, but I can see why it's done when winning margins are so small. All goes back to the philosophy of 'tactical fouling' introduced in Italy (by Sacchi...) to counteract the protection for attackers given by the new rulings on what constitutes foul play. Part of me thinks I'd rather see niggly stuff than players' careers being injured by heavy and legal tackles but I do miss the blood and guts tackling of players like Souness.

@Point/Counterpoint - I think you're missing the point about attitude though. Personal lives and going down under light contact etc aren't what I was meaning to infer. I was referring to work ethic during training, a willingness to play a role in the team and shoulder responsibility etc.

I agree with you about Mash Lee. But let me play the devil's advocate a moment. Mash's role in the team is to break up the opposition attacks to allow the defence to regroup. I think a large part of his mouthiness is to allow the defence time to get back into position behind him. I utterly dislike calling for bookings for other players, but I think that's just Mash's personality - he seems to have a sense of 'fair play' which makes him want to call the referees out if they're being inconsistent. I've seen footage of him chasing team mates about to lamp them if they've done a dirty tackle in training so I guess that's just how Mash is wired. His diving also seems to come when he's caught in possession. I think the role he plays is one where to be caught in possession is to risk conceding a goal so he makes the most of any contact in which he loses the ball. Lot of things I dislike about the game at the top level now, but I can see why it's done when winning margins are so small. All goes back to the philosophy of 'tactical fouling' introduced in Italy (by Sacchi...) to counteract the protection for attackers given by the new rulings on what constitutes foul play. Part of me thinks I'd rather see niggly stuff than players' careers being injured by heavy and legal tackles but I do miss the blood and guts tackling of players like Souness.

@Point/Counterpoint - I think you're missing the point about attitude though. Personal lives and going down under light contact etc aren't what I was meaning to infer. I was referring to work ethic during training, a willingness to play a role in the team and shoulder responsibility etc.

Attitude is how someone acts in general. You just said "attitude" - which is important on and off the pitch. Stop deflecting.

Attitude is how someone acts in general. You just said "attitude" - which is important on and off the pitch. Stop deflecting.

Taking the word in context (first brought up regarding Keane mouthing off about being substituted) is not deflection and quite a specific use of the word in a football sense. We could play semantics and deconstruct the use of the word according to its multiple contexts if you want, but my point was concerning solely the football part of it. Maradonna had half of Columbia up his nose as well as being the red light district of Napoli's most benevolent benefactor, didn't mean he didn't have a fantastic attitude towards playing the game. Best was a serial womaniser and a drunk. He still had a fantastic attitude on the pitch. If you want to make a wider point though, go for it, but I'll leave you to it :)

Ha Ha Ha You're kidding right?

Not really no.. Stevie's headbutting skills, let alone the one swing knockout of the other guy ARE impressive. As is the way he legged it straight afterwards, leaving the chick he was with to deal with the aftermath.

It's not that he's a scouser, 'cause everyone knows he's a legend on the pitch.

It's that he's guilty.

Even a Facepalm cannot express my utter disbelief at your idiocy.

He might be guilty. But that video of some random guy 'fighting' in a pub somewhere doesn't prove it.

Back