Total Football non league style

britto

Reaction score
I wanted to create a tactic that could emulate some of the principles used in Dutch total football of the 1970’s and the idea of hunting for the ball.
As always with any save I do I always like to begin at the bottom and I like the idea of returning a club that’s been lost in the pyramid back to the football league and who better than the recently re-formed Hereford fc. The board wanted to avoid relegation and the media prediction was to finish 19th.
When creating lower leagues tactics I am aware it’s better to keep things simple due to the lack in quality in most areas of the game yet I wanted to install my own ideas and complexities in the tactics to try emulate something similar to total football so I decided to carry on regardless and see how the team cope with varying roles they may not be used to and huge demands.

This is not a wonder tactic as teams with a solid defensive shape and cautious outlook could strangle the game. This was great against stronger teams who came to attack so further tweaking is needed to try expoit a team who comes to park the bus.

This is created via FM touch on iPad so not sure how to share tactic so screenshots provided of all that is needed for the tactic.
My assistant handles all opposition instructions and there are no specific player instructions to worry about.
For tough away matches I would go to balanced and that’s all the tweaking I would do for this division but I’m sure more will be needed the higher I go.

Last edited:
Sorry, not sure how on the iPad, all info provided should allow you to set it up manually, would love to see how it manages in higher divisions and whether it works as well or just gets found out

No specific ones other than what the role assigns

As suspected a decent start to the national league having played 4 games won 2 drew 1 lost 1. Standard domination in possesion 60%+, average of 20+ shots but it means nothing if its just playing around the back for 10 minutes or just snap shots outside the box, im continuously trying to tweak it to find a way of better penetration in attacking third without sacrificing the solidity of the strikerless style

britto, you are my man. I totally love your concept and the philosophy of Total Football for football.
Looking forward to hear more from you.
This year, strikerless tactics seems not working like in Football Manager 2017; but I am waiting someone smarter than me to break it.