Tottenham and Wolves lead tributes to former defender Richards

oneunited

Reaction score

Former Wolves and Tottenham defender Dean Richards has died, aged just 36, after losing a long battle with illness.
A record 29,000 crowd at the newly-developed Molineux stadium chanted his name in memory of a club hero as Wolves beat Blackpool 4-0.
Midway through the first half, and then again just before the final whistle, Richards was hailed by the Wolves fans.

article-1360868-0D5EE4BA000005DC-334_468x573.jpg

And most poignant was the spontaneous applause that broke out as Richards’s
name echoed from stand to stand.
Richards played almost 350 league games for his native Bradford, Wolves,
Southampton and Spurs.
His biggest transfer was his £8.1 million move from Saints to Spurs in 2001 but he made only 73 league appearances for Tottenham before having to retire in 2005 after
complaining of dizzy spells and headaches.
The problem was initially diagnosed as an ear infection. He underwent a scan
for a brain tumour but the results were negative.

article-1360868-0D5EE45C000005DC-29_468x335.jpg

Despite his illness, Richards returned to football in 2007 as Bradford’s youth team coach.
Wolves boss Mick McCarthy summed up the feelings of many at Molineux.
McCarthy said: ‘I can’t tell you how sad I feel for him and his family. He was only 36 and it is just devastating.’
Blackpool boss Ian Holloway added: ‘I lived a couple of doors down from him in St Albans. He was a wonderful man and my heart goes out to his family.’

SOURCE

It really is tragic. He was a very good player, and to have his life taken away at such a young is unfathomable. As I mentioned in a thread earlier, to have his former clubs win yesterday was what he would have wanted, and quite a fitting tribute. But next saturday will be extremely emotional. It really is tragic what happened, and should make people appreciate what they have in life today, and to embrace it because anything can happen. R.I.P Dean. Your sorely missed.

I'm absolutely devastated at hearing this! No doubt there will be a minutes silence at all of tomorrows games and next weekends. I remember the 1st time I saw him play for Saints, I was at Highbury and he played a blinder against Arsenal.

Thoughts go out to his family and he will be remembered by many in football!