Tottenham draw Hearts in Europa

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 66
  • Views Views 4K
My point still stands, however. Only the very best of the Scottish leagues can even hope to compete in the Prem, and it's the exceptions to the rule like Charlie Adam who get lucky. Another example of the SPLs decline would be the person you mentioned earlier as being one of the best in the league, Steve Davis. Allowed to leave by Villa for being too frail and mentally weak, he moved to Fulham where he was anonymous for a while before moving to Scotland and suddenly became brilliant. It also says a lot that David Weir, with his sizzling pace, can hold down a starting spot in the best team in the league. Gary Caldwell's better than him, IMO.
But it is expected that only the best from a smaller league with less money could compete in the best league in the world.
It doesnt really sound like Davies got a chance at Fulham or Villa but I could put this down as an exception.
Weir cant hold down a place at the 2nd (;)) best team in Scotland. He was the weak link last year and has been dropped this year.

That said, I think there are A FEW who could potentially excel (rather than just do a job, there's probably quite a few more of those) in the Prem - after all, Stan Petrov and Carlos Cuellar have hardly done badly - but they are few and far between. Ki's good, as is Brown and Ness looks like he has talent, but apart from that? Eh... take em or leave em.
Kayal is better than both Ki and Brown, so add him to that list ;)

As Mike said above there is probably 20 players that could do well in the EPL. I think there is slightly more but 20 from a league that gets nowhere near the finacial backing of the Premier league isnt that bad. There is probably a similar amount of players in the Belgian leagues that could do well in the Premiership and the Belgian league isnt bad.

But it is expected that only the best from a smaller league with less money could compete in the best league in the world.
It doesnt really sound like Davies got a chance at Fulham or Villa but I could put this down as an exception.
Weir cant hold down a place at the 2nd (;)) best team in Scotland. He was the weak link last year and has been dropped this year.

Kayal is better than both Ki and Brown, so add him to that list ;)

As Mike said above there is probably 20 players that could do well in the EPL. I think there is slightly more but 20 from a league that gets nowhere near the finacial backing of the Premier league isnt that bad. There is probably a similar amount of players in the Belgian leagues that could do well in the Premiership and the Belgian league isnt bad.

In fairness i said do a job, whereas he is talking about excelling. Scottish Football shouldnt even be in this stat in the first place anyway. I thought we were run by clowns but your lot take the biscuit. Hope it gets better before it gets worse

It is also worth mentioning that if the manager had not tried to play proper football with Spurs ie. two wingers and two strikers they might not have got beaten by as much as they did.

It is also worth mentioning that if the manager had not tried to play proper football with Spurs ie. two wingers and two strikers they might not have got beaten by as much as they did.

This is very true. rangers played with basically no forwards against us, even though it was a weakened, and still we pinned them back. Even if they had played defensively, dont think it would have changed the result too much. But also fair to say they are in a period of (constant) instabilty too

This is very true. rangers played with basically no forwards against us, even though it was a weakened, and still we pinned them back. Even if they had played defensively, dont think it would have changed the result too much. But also fair to say they are in a period of (constant) instabilty too

Indeed but let's not make excuses. Scotland V England matches were great when there was no gulf in finances, which pays for quality. Maybe the games will be hard fought again once all the English club's go into financial meltdown.

Hearts:
25 Kello Free
03 Grainger Bosman Free
06 Webster Free
26 Zaliukas Free
02 Hamill Bosman free
08 Black Bosman free
11 Driver Youth Product
12 Templeton Youth product
31 Mrowiec Free
15 Sutton Bosman free

Grand Total: 0