Tottenham Hostpur: Building on the Pochettinho Years

TheMaestro

Reaction score
Tottenham Hotspur: The Beginning (Chapter 1)
Tottenham Logo.jpg

'Trophophobia' is defined as the fear of trophies, and Tottenham Hotspur have definitely shown signs of this in previous years.

And I have decided to take to FM20 for Spurs to overcome that fear of trophies.

What happened to Sheffield United?
Firstly, let me start by addressing my previous FM20 story, Sheffield United. After I took to a poll and Sheffield United won, I started a story with the Blades, but the save file corrupted after I shut down my computer while it was saving by accident, which has that effect on an FM save. My sincere apologies for losing another story, I have since begun to add back-up saves which are saved at the same time so that no progress is lost if I lose on of my save files.

Why Tottenham?
I did not want to run the risk of producing a story which I did not enjoy creating, and Spurs are my favourite club to manage on FM20, therefore it was a simple decision to take the challenge on. It also should have a stable duration because the club is not the best on FM and is probably one of the weaker Top 6 sides to begin the game, meaning that we won't be winning trophies for a few years, probably.

Tottenham Stadium.jpg

Stadium: The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Capacity: Approx. 62,000

Tottenham Honours.PNG

Tottenham have won a few trophies over the years, but none recently, notably during the Premier League era, and as it states above, an 11 year wait without a single trophy.

Tottenham Hotspur: Pre-Season (Chapter 2)
Photo #1.jpg

Pre-Season got underway fairly quickly and I was not looking to do much business due to our transfer budget of 15 million pounds.

Pre-Season
Pre-Season.PNG

Pre-Season went fairly well, with a 2-0 loss against QPR being a disappointing result but otherwise we managed to win the rest of our matches.

Club Vision
Club Vision.PNG

The board also layed down the club vision for the next 5 seasons, with the main traget to eventually build towards the Premier League.

Timothy Castagne
Timothy Castagne.PNG

The one signing which I did make was Timothy Castagne from Atalanta for about 11 million. With no obvious deputy for Serge Aurier, and Ben Davies being the only natural LB (Ryan Sessegnon is a LW), I decided to get a good back-up player for both the RB and LB spots. Castagne fit that mould perfectly and was available on the cheap, he could easily become my starting RB as well.

Our only outgoing was Troy Parrot who left to join Burnley on loan.

Squad List
Squad List.PNG

That left the team shaping up decently, with a number of injuries affecting the squad but the main core remains available.

Wage Expenditure
Wage Expenditure.PNG

Considering the calibre of players which we have, our wage expenditure is quite decent, which means we have a good wage budget still available for new players.

Transfer Window
Transfer Window.PNG

To round-up, the transfer window was quiet and there was not much worth noting.

Tottenham Hotspur: Premier League Kick-Off (Chapter 3)
Photo #2.jpg

We started our season with a home game against Brighton, where I was hoping for three points.

Matchday 1 vs Brighton (H)
Tottenham 3-0 Brighton.PNG

We got the three points, and comfortably too. Steven Bergwijn enjoyed a stellar debut, laying on assist to go with his goal in a man of the match performance. It was good to see Harry Kane score in my first match as he will lead the line, while keeping a clean sheet was another positive in a very pleasing opening day Premier League performance.

Matchday 2 vs Leicester (A)
Leicester 2-1 Tottenham.PNG

We crumbled straight back to earth as we went away to Leicester and they deservedly got a win. After going ahead through Toby Alderweireld and taking a lead into the break, I was feeling confident that we would be able to get at least a point from the game, which was the result I was hoping for, considering we were away from hope. However, a double from Kelechi Iheanacho saw us fall behind and ultimately lose the game.

Matchday 3 vs Burnley (H)
Tottenham 2-0 Burnley.PNG

We were back at home and we returned to winning ways, keeping a second clean sheet as we flicked a switch in the second half after an even first 45 minutes. First goals under my tenure for Son Heung-Min and Moussa Sissoko did the damage and we ran out deserved winners and recovered swiftly from the disappointment of the Leicester result.

League Table

League Table #1.PNG

Tottenham Hotspur: Cup Competitions Begin (Chapter 4)
Photo #3.jpg

Our Champions League and Carabao Cup campaigns begin this month, where two trophies are at stake.

Matchday 4 vs West Ham (A)
West Ham 0-0 Tottenham.PNG

We begun the month with a Premier League game, away to West Ham United. It was a dull affair and there was not a massive amount of chances for either side, although late on Kane missed a decent half chance. Overall, it is not the worst result as it is still early days in my tenure and the ideas are still bedding in, but in future I'd expect us to be winning games such as this.

Matchday 5 vs Wolves (H)
Tottenham 1-1 Wolves.PNG

A similar outcome at home to Wolves as we draw again, but they are a decent side so I don't know how disappointed I should be with it. Kane scored the opener but within seconds of the same minute Adama got them back level. Again, it was a relatively even game but we are playing some decent football at times and hopefully we can turn that into wins soon.

Champions League Matchday 1 vs Atalanta (A)
Atalanta 1-2 Tottenham.PNG

We got off to a good start in the Champions League, managing to beat Atalanta away from home in our first group game. Son Heung-Min delivered two goals, and the 87th minute one to put us 2-0 up proved vital as Atalanta pulled one back in stoppage time. The other teams in our group are Bayern Munich and RB Salzburg so this was an important result.

Carabao Cup 3rd Round vs Manchester City (H)
(CC) Tottenham p1-1 Man City.PNG

We were given a very difficult draw in the 3rd round of the Carabao Cup, pitted against the holders Manchester City. Thankfully the board aren't judging the competition, although I would like to win it as it is a trophy for Tottenham. When we went 1-0 down I thought we were down and out, but we ended up levelling it out and then prevailing on penalties.

Matchday 6 vs Norwich (A)
Norwich 0-1 Tottenham.PNG

Next up we were away against Norwich and I was definitely hoping for a win here. But going deep into the match the score remained at 0-0 and I was getting quite nervous that we would have to settle for a 3rd straight draw. Thankfully, Lucas Moura received a back post cross and after he was the hero against Manchester City, he repeated his heroics to get us the win in the 89th minute.

League Table
League Table #2.PNG

Tottenham Hotspur: Champions League Takes a Twist (Chapter 5)
Photo #4.jpg

Our focus turns to the Champions League this month, with two crucial fixtures against Bayern and RB Salzburg.

Champions League Matchday 2 vs Bayern Munich (H)
Tottenham 0-2 FC Bayern.PNG

At home to Bayern I wasn't expecting too much given their quality, but if we were able to get a point I'd be happy. Unfortunately, they outclassed us in the second half on their way to a 2-0 victory. We were even in the first half, but Bayern took it up a gear in the second half and we couldn't deal with their clinicality in front of goal and we succumbed to a defeat.

Matchday 7 vs Southampton (H)
Tottenham 2-0 Southampton.PNG

Back into the Premier League and we faced Southampton at home, where I expected a win. Thankfully, we delivered on that expectation although it was left to the final 10 minutes for us to do the damage with two late goals getting us across the line. Steven Bergwijn has enjoyed a very good start to his Tottenham career and Harry Kane added a goal to his tally to round out the win.

Matchday 8 vs Crystal Palace (A)
Crystal Palace 0-2 Tottenham.PNG

I was hoping for another win as we faced Crystal Palace away from home and we managed just that, with a double from Harry Kane getting us across the line. We kept another clean sheet and eventually our domination in possession paid off with a 24th minute goal. It was still in the balance until late into the game, where Kane nabbed his second in the 88th minute to secure the win.

Champions League Matchday 3 vs RB Salzburg (A)
FC RB Salzburg 1-1 Tottenham.PNG

But our Champions League group took a massive twist as we failed to beat RB Salzburg, who were supposed to be the worst team in our group. We did not begin to play well today but I still expected a win, especially after we were leading in stoppage time. However, Salzburg played some great football and deserved their last minute equaliser, to my disappointment.

Matchday 9 vs Everton (H)
Tottenham 1-1 Everton.PNG

Back into the league and I wasn't sure what to expect against Everton, they are capable of being a good team and have made an ok start to the season. Toby Alderweireld opened the scoring just before half-time which gave us the edge going into the break and it looked like we could be heading for a win until Richarlison scored on the counter for Everton to level the scores for our second 1-1 draw in just a few days.

Carabao Cup 4th Round vs Burnley (A)
(CC) Burnley 1-1p Tottenham.PNG

We managed to progress from the Carabao Cup and after defeating Manchester City in the 3rd round I was genuinely hopeful we could make solid progression in the competition. Toby Alderweireld has been a source of 3 goals so far which is interesting, but we were taken to a penalty shootout again, this time against Burnley. Thankfully, we prevailed in the shootout again, moving on into the 5th round.

League Table
League Table #3.PNG

Champions League Table
Champions League Table #2.PNG

Last edited:
Tottenham Hotspur: Early Champions League Exit? (Chapter 6)
Photo #1.jpg

The Champions League is the main focus of this month, as we have vital fixtures against RB Salzburg and Atalanta.

Matchday 10 vs Newcastle (H)
Tottenham 0-0 Newcastle.PNG

A poor result. At home to Newcastle I was hoping we would be able to pick up a win but in an uninspiring performance of little chances, the game petered out into a boring 0-0 draw. The two teams were matched evenly and no one stood out for either side, and the lack of good performances throughout the team disappointed me as we did not put in enough effort to warrant a win.

Champions League Matchday 4 vs RB Salzburg (H)
Tottenham 0-2 RB Salzburg.PNG

Unbelievable. At home to RB Salzburg, there was no alternative but to pick up a comfortable victory against the weakest team in our group. We were poor, and dropped even from the Newcastle performance, and RB Salzburg took full advantage of our poor performance to defeat us 2-0. This could spell our Champions League exit as Atalanta defeated Bayern 1-0.

Matchday 11 vs Chelsea (A)
Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham.PNG

Our form is crumbling now, although I understand that Chelsea are a strong side. We still have not scored this month, but at least we put in a better performance in this game, although Chelsea still deserved their win. The first half went by evenly, with a good amount of chances for both sides but Chelsea were too much for us to handle in the second half and we lost the match 2-0.

Matchday 12 vs Liverpool (H)
Tottenham 2-1 Liverpool.PNG

The one game where I was confident that we wouldn't be getting anything from the game was actually the one which we won. We defeated Liverpool 2-1 at home and it was a much needed victory to break our little run of poor form. Lucas Moura has been poor so far but turned up today with a goal and assist for Kane to be the main man in a great victory for us.

Champions League Matchday 5 vs Atalanta (H)
Tottenham 2-0 Atalanta.PNG

We had to win this game to stay in the competition, and there was massive pressure on us to do so. Thankfully, the players seemed like they knew what was at stake from the opening whistle. They did not let Atalanta have a chance and we eventually broke them down, going on to win the game 2-0. However, we need a point at Bayern's ground to go through, if Atalanta beat Salzburg, a fixture we lost 2-0 at home.

Matchday 13 vs Sheffield United (A)
Sheffield United 0-0 Tottenham.PNG

Unfortunately we could not beat Sheffield United and it was another dull performance. Despite the win over Liverpool and the crucial victory over Atalanta, this has been a poor month and we only managed to score in 2 of the 6 games which we played, which is an extremely poor statistic for a team such as Tottenham. Hopefully, we can redeem ourselves and prepare for a crucial month of December.

League Table
League Table #4.PNG

Champions League Table
Champions League Table #3.PNG

Tottenham Hotspur: Bayern or Bust (Chapter 7)
Photo #2.jpg

Once again the focus is with the Champions League and this time we need at least a point against Bayern to stay in the group.

Matchday 14 vs Arsenal (A)
Arsenal 3-0 Tottenham.PNG

We started off with a massive North London derby against Arsenal and at the end of it I couldn't even be bothered to address my team in the dressing team to tell them how poor they were. Absolutely awful, we could've lost this game 7-0 if Arsenal had been more clinical today and you'd think we'd put in an effort when it's such a big occasion but instead they decided to soak up pressure and lose 3-0 without even having a chance.

Matchday 15 vs Watford (H)
Tottenham 2-0 Watford.PNG

At half time in this game I was honestly concerned as to whether we could actually win another match of football. I needed our players to step up and thankfully Davinson Sanchez of all people, did just that. He showed great leadership from the back and took control of the game, dominating aerially to head home two crosses and get us a win.

Champions League Matchday 6 vs Bayern (A)
FC Bayern 1-1 Tottenham.PNG

As big as all the league games were, this was the biggest of the month. Atalanta beat RB Salzburg 4-1 but if we drew we would go through on head to head. We played pretty decently today and deserved a point from the game, so when Steven Bergwijn popped up with an 89th minute equaliser he sent the Spurs fans into delirium and we progress into the knockout stages.

Matchday 16 vs Manchester City (A)
Manchester City 2-0 Tottenham.PNG

We have difficult fixtures this month, especially with the Bayern game included. I wasn't expecting much against Manchester City and the players lived up to expectation by contributing absolutely nothing to the game once again. We lost 2-0 and deserved to, a tactic change may soon be incoming otherwise a managerial change from Daniel Levy may be incoming.

Carabao Cup Quarter Final vs Bournemouth (H)
(CC) Tottenham 3-0 Bournemouth.PNG

We progressed to the semi-finals of the Carabao Cup as we faced a Bournemouth side who had a man sent off early into the game. We took control of the game in the second half and added two goals in the last five minutes to win the match 3-0. Despite all of the nerves in the other tournaments, we aren't too far away from a potential shot at winning a trophy here in the Carabao Cup.

Matchday 17 vs Aston Villa (H)
Tottenham 1-2 Aston Villa.PNG

Aston Villa are last. We are at home. I don't even want to talk about the fact that they had a man sent off with 25 minutes remaining. I cannot explain this. I know we are in a bit of a slump right now but to lose this match is absolutely unacceptable. When Erik Lamela scored, I barely cracked a smile, but the fact that a 10-man 20th placed team can still go on and get a winner shows the mentality in the club right now. The January window needs to be massive otherwise I'm out of a job.

December Transfer Budget.PNG

Thankfully Daniel Levy obliged and gave me about 60 million to play with when the window opens.

Matchday 18 vs Manchester United (H)
Tottenham 1-2 Manchester United.PNG

The league is falling apart and any hopes of a Champions League place are soon fading. Manchester United is a tough fixture and I was pleased we did perform better but it still wasn't enough, we just cannot seem to find goals. It was after this match that Daniel Levy arranged a meeting and told me that I had to get 10 points from my next 5 league games, which are Everton, Southampton, Norwich, Bournemouth and Crystal Palace. I think that's reasonable but the way we're performing so far I don't know what to expect.

Matchday 19 vs Everton (A)
Everton 2-1 Tottenham.PNG

And the losses just keep coming. Now it's 10 points from 4 games as we made no progress here. Our performance levels are improving but the result aren't yet. We need those results to improve otherwise the journey at Spurs will come to a premature end. Harry Kane managed to end his drought but I'm still disappointed with how he is performing.

League Table
League Table #5.PNG

Tottenham Hotspur: January Transfer Window (Chapter 8)
Photo #1.jpg

This month presents me with the best chance I have to save my job; through the transfer market.

Matchday 20 vs Southampton (A)
Southampton 1-1 Tottenham.PNG

As I fight to save my job, I really needed a win against Southampton. Going 1-0 down after 5 minutes of the match was not the ideal way to start and despite a good performance, we weren't able to get the win. Harry Kane at least got us level but 1 point doesn't really help my tally as I need to get wins in my next 3 games to stay in a job, putting real pressure on for those matches.

FA Cup 3rd Round vs Birmingham (H)

(FA) Tottenham 3-0 Birmingham.PNG

Cup games don't count towards the point target but it was good to get a win to boost morale. We progress in the FA Cup as well here which is nice as we defeat Birmingham 3-0. Lucas Moura put in a rare good performance for himself and Steven Bergwijn also got back amongst the goals after a lay off from scoring for the Dutchman.

Carabao Cup Semi Final 1st Leg vs Brighton (A)
(CC) Brighton 0-0 Tottenham.PNG

We've made it to the Carabao Cup semi final stage and I was hoping for a good performance but in truth we were underwhelming here against Brighton. Brighton didn't play particularly well either and the match played out to a 0-0 draw. It's just as well cup matches don't count because I would've been sacked as I have to win my next 3 league games to stay in a job.

Matchday 21 vs Norwich (H)
Tottenham 3-1 Norwich.PNG

I lived to fight another day as we beat Norwich. Jack Grealish made his debut here and scored the two goals which kept me in charge of Tottenham. We finally scored a penalty as well, several takers have taken turns to miss them, before our new acquisition stepped up with two vital goals and hopefully we can kick on and get another 2 victories at least.

Matchday 22 vs Bournemouth (A)
Bournemouth 2-3 Tottenham.PNG

Another new signing was spoiled in this result, but Patson Daka won us the game single handedly today. Harry Kane was tired for the match and I signed the Salzburg youngster for about 20 million. He had an instant impact and our first half was brilliant. However, our second half was poor and two goals from Dominic Solanke had me on edge, one goal would see me sacked. And they came so close to getting it, hitting the post and missing a one-on-one but thankfully we held on and now I just need a win at home against Crystal Palace to save my job and achieve the points target.

Matchday 23 vs Crystal Palace (H)
Tottenham 3-0 Crystal Palace.PNG

I decided to start Daka again for this crucial game as he's off the back of an incredible debut, and he repayed that faith. We did the damage in the first half and saw out the game in the second, the type of performance I haven't seen enough from this side so far. Dele Alli hasn't done much of note this season but he popped up with a crucial game and then Daka added to the lead before Davinson Sanchez, who has been our best player so far, added the 3rd and final goal.

January Point Update.PNG

Confirmation that I am safe for the next few matches at least.

Matchday 24 vs Manchester United (H)
Manchester United 1-0 Tottenham.PNG

After all of that pressure, we decided to lose 1-0 to Manchester United. But that doesn't tell the story, we did play really well and I have been more impressed with the way we have played at least this month. Hopefully it means that we can partially recover our season and I can last until the next one. Marcus Rashford's early goal did the damage and we just couldn't find the net today.

FA Cup 4th Round vs QPR (H)
(FA) Tottenham 1-0 QPR.PNG

We had almost 30 shots in this match and goalscoring is a bit of a problem sometimes for us. Thankfully Ryan Sessegnon's first Tottenham goal in the second half saw us continue to progress in the FA Cup. Sessegnon has taken over the LB spot this month and has been performing quite well, and he capped that off with a nice volley in this match to see us through.

Carabao Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg vs Brighton (H)
(CC) Tottenham 2-0 Brighton.PNG

We make it through to the Carabao Cup Final! It looked like we could be heading for yet another penalty shootout, but then Gedson Fernandes, who has barely played this season, scored to put us in front with just over 10 minutes to go. Then Harry Kane ended his goal drought in stoppage time to confirm the win and we end a packed January on a positive month with a good victory.

Martin Odegaard
Martin Odegaard.PNG

Firstly, I arranged a deal to sign Martin Odegaard when his loan expires at the end of the next season. He'll join in 2021 and hopefully will have developed well until then. He is a creative midfielder and we've been lacking a little flair in the centre of the park so, although his arrival is a while away he should be a good signing for him and was quite cheap considering his ability.

Emiliano Buendia
Emi Buendia.PNG

One of the aims of the window was to sign players in form and I did just that by bringing in Emiliano Buendia from Norwich. He has been in incredible form for Norwich, providing a number of assists and goals and he should be able to continue that in a stronger side and help bring some form back into Tottenham. He will replace Lucas Moura/Steven Bergwijn as the starting RW.

Jack Grealish
Jack Grealish.PNG

You already saw the Jack Grealish signing but he has the potential to be a really good deal for us. A creative winger and attacking midfielder, as well as being a homegrown Englishman, he replaces a certain LW who has left. He has been doing alright with a relegation threatened Villa and hopefully he can step up and be a top player for the club.

Chris Mepham
Chris Mepham.PNG

We also had a CB leaving and I replaced him with Chris Mepham, a solid defender having a great season for Bournemouth. He won't start but he adds necessary back-up and has good stats for a young CB who could develop well if he plays enough matches for us. I'll try to rotate him in for easier league games and hopefully he can become a good CB for us.

Patson Daka
Patson Daka.PNG

The young back-up striker I got was Patson Daka, as you would've seen above. He will play second fiddle to Kane but has already shown a natural goal scoring ability and if Kane continues to go through droughts, he could get a few opportunities to assert himself in the team as a regular substitute at the very least. Hopefully he can also realise his potential during his time at the club.

Jan Vertonghen
Jan Vertonghen.PNG

The CB who I sold was Jan Vertonghen. He was having an ok season but was getting older and was only playing back-up to Alderweireld and Sanchez. AS good as a servant he has been to the club, it felt right to let him get more playing time at another Premier League club so I decided to let him go to Leicester and wish him all the best in his career.

Moussa Sissoko
Moussa Sissoko.PNG

Moussa Sissoko has hardly played for me so it wasn't a very difficult decision to let him go when I offered him out and Manchester United put in an offer. When he had played this season, he didn't offer too much to the team and was not better than Ndombele as a back-up to that role so selling him on seemed like the logical thing to do in this situation.

Son Heung-Min
Son Heung-Min.PNG

The big depature was Son-Heung Min. One of Spurs' best players in real life, the South Korean just didn't perform for me, getting 2 goals and 1 assist in the Premier League despite playing a lot of football. I was surprised at this deal as well, because moving to China is not a good career move for a player of Son's ability but I needed the funds to strengthen elsewhere and said a heartfelt goodbye to Son Heung-Min.

Erik Lamela
Erik Lamela.PNG

Lamela was actually one of my better players last month but still wasn't as good as many of the other options we had. With Buendia coming in, Lamela was pushed further back in the pecking order and he was never more than a rotational option. Overall, I think we had a pretty decent transfer window although it remains to be seen whether our form will take an upturn or not.

League Table
League Table #6.PNG

Tottenham Hotspur: Sacked (Chapter 9)
Photo #1.jpg

After narrowly avoiding the sack last month, Daniel Levy has terminated my contract on the eve of the Carabao Cup Final.

League Table
League Table #7.PNG

I made it through February and we lost twice in three league games as well as losing 3-0 to Liverpool in the FA Cup. The new signings were good, especially Buendia, but unfortunately I won't be able to see how they develop as I have been sacked.

I don't really want to stay in this save and would prefer to start a new one. I was really enjoying Spurs yet again, so if you would like me to start over as Spurs, comment down below. If you would like to see anything else, please comment and I will try to consider all of the suggestions I get.

Thank you and apologies for my bad management leading to another premature ending!