IpswichFan

Reaction score
Tractor Boys - March To The Summit!!!

View attachment 145337
So, after reading on here for months and always saying – wouldn’t it be nice to do one of these and have a story for people to follow - well now it is time to step out from under the shadows and complete a journey of my own.

If you couldn't already tell from the Title and Username – I am an Ipswich Fan, born there and brought up watching them as and when I could, be that on the tele or actually going to the games! Of late, if you follow the Championship, we are currently embroiled in what is known as the toughest league to get out of! (And don't I know it, we have been there for 13 years). Now I’ve moved away and thinking now would be a good time to start a story for people to follow, allow me, as I haven’t come across many Ipswich Stories!!

So a bit of a low down before we get started, I am only a player for fun and when I want to unwind. I see some people who play this every day and night, that I cannot do! But I will play as and when I can, then when I do of course I will keep people updated and hopefully that is enough to get people reading, following the story and enjoying it too. Finally, should you have any feedback on how the thread could be improved or alternatively how much you're enjoying it - please say as all is welcome.

First update shall be this weekend!!

Pre-Season!!

Pre-Season etc.

We begin with the start of season expectations, the board were more than happy for me to start with finishing mid-table... However being the optimistic guy I am (but without ever fearing of losing my job) I decided with top half finish - but in fact with the signings I have in mind and the team we already have, I have no doubt we can definitely at least make play-offs!!!

View attachment 145174

Also, I would like to add I have made quite a few additions in the back-room with the likes of John McGreal coming back to the club as the U21's Assistant Manager. Obviously, needed many scouts so brought in 6/7 as Ipswich start with none!! One I will bring up is a bloke called Arkaitz Mota - not a lot of people have picked him out in the lists which I searched for scouts but he works at Aspire in Spain on the game - really cheap can get him for £220 per week and has good stats (Player Potential 15, Player Performance 18). Our first team needed some new coaches as well, 3 to be precise coming in: Ray Wilkins, Steve Cooper and Mick Jones making a massive difference, now meaning our first team has the best Tactical, Goalkeeping, Defending and Attacking coaches in the league - pretty good going I say!!

First signing confirmed!!! Rolando Aarons (on loan). Now I know this is a popular signing for many people playing with Championship teams, so I was surprised we got him so easy! We only have to play 50% of his wages too so I cannot complain. Feel like he could be a match winner if we get him playing a firing!

View attachment 145173

Manage to sell one of the old guard as well. Jay Tabb sets off to Bristol City for a small 120k. Must be honest I want to give youth a bit of a chance with the likes of Adam McDonnell and Andre Dozzell. Last year of his contract too so all in all a good offload in my eyes!!

View attachment 145172

Now this is a signing from the scouts, I wanted Ipswich to start getting into the way of playing out from the back - so this lad cost me 40k and is a Ball Playing Centre-Half. Being only 17 as well, he will have time to mature and hopefully can give him some game if needed! Even more so when you see what happens next...

View attachment 145171

Yep, that's right... Quite possibly one of starting Centre Backs with his likely partner to be Berra for the first game of the season Tommy Smith breaks his ankle. Only 3 months out - however will now probably mean that I will play Foley at Right Back depending on Pre-season form etc. and then move Luke Chambers across into Right sided Centre Back.

View attachment 145170

Right so, instead of breaking every Pre-Season game down I thought I would give a brief over-view of all of them instead. Real mixed bag of results overall, I organised a few more friendlies to go along with the Tour of France already organised, and against some better opposition too!! But mainly because I wanted my tactic of 4-2-3-1 to really be taught and understood properly. Was a really poor performance against Ligue 1 side GFC Ajaccio, never got going and not a lot of possession or shots - we got dominated quite frankly!
However, much different after that game, and we were unlucky to lose to Ajax at home 1-0, they weren't at their best I don't believe, but we had the lion's share of possession and created more chances, so the lose was hard to take but overall was happy with the performance!
Then next, GA Eagles also of Eredivisie and Villarreal of La Liga, both 1-0 wins and deserving win's at that!! Most impressive about these two games is that there was clean sheets something I want to pride ourselves on if possible.
Overall, a mixed bag, but we hit form towards the end of pre-season so hopefully we can carry this into the first game of the season against Brentford away!!

View attachment 145169
So this will be the end for the moment, however I wont leave it too long before another update of the first few games of the season and wrapping up the signings when the transfer window finally shuts!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: