Ivan787

Reaction score
I have a question to setting my training better.
Reading this forum I found some users who said some attributes develop better in particular age than other.
Is there logic build steps to train a player? For example, if i set the same aerobic workload for a 20y and a 30y, with the same coach and (hypotesis) same determination and professionality, I see the former progress more than the letter in aerobic attribute.
IS there some study which can give me why it is so, how many faster is the younger, and so on for any category?
Something about the capacity of improve a particular attribute related to age.

I'm just guessing, but... players generally have an age where they peak, let's say 26, so they aren't going to start deteriorating until they reach 29/30. That said, it's pretty obvious that a young player is going to learn more stuff, a lot faster than an older player. As the saying goes, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

This is obvious, but I see that, with the same workload, a young player progress more in phisical attribute than in mental. A 27y don't perform so better in aerobic but progress a lot in mental.
But the question is how?

Why it happens = realism. :p Young players aren't going to become sages of the game, but they haven't finished growing yet either; hence, mental attributes increase slowly, and physical attributes increase quickly. That's why you should have higher levels of tactical training on youngsters, because lower levels will have negligible effect. Also remember to get them tutored by experienced players with high mental stats. (On a side-note, when looking for players, a young kid with high mental stats is a gem; even if he's a lightweight, you can bulk him up, as happened with Messi at Barca)

Meanwhile, players above the age of 30 start to decline physically - especially in aerobic attributes (Acceleration, Agility, Balance, Pace); but, having been playing for over 10 years, the mental side of their game is more likely to grow. This mirrors reality, e.g. players like Rio Ferdinand and Jamie Carragher becoming slower (not that Carra was ever the fastest), but compensating for it with their experience and ability to read the game.

From my understanding, age never affects technical attributes - that is, they grow fairly evenly at every age. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Hope that helps :) As for figuring out what the rates/biases are, I don't know; but if you look at a player's training page, you can see bars for each category, which show how likely the attributes in that category are to grow. So for a young player, you need to set the tactics notch a lot higher to get the tactical training bar high, than with an older player; while the older player needs a lot more aerobic training.