GJP95

Reaction score
I have downloaded and tried many brilliant tactics on here that usually start well, but becomes crappy after December due to my poor training Schedules and team management.

I started this thread for people to share their tried and tested training schedules

To Help us enjoy these brilliant tactics people spend a lot of time to create.

Yeah agreed, training also equally important. Not sure if Raikan (not sure if correct name) got work out same TR training schedule as he did for fm11?

Setting up training is very easy. You just have to understand what each kind of training does.

There are 7 types of general training. One of them [team cohesion] help your team build cohesion faster. You can check your level of cohesiveness in the tactics>analysis>team talk feedback screen. The other 6 types of training [balanced, fitness, tactical, ball control, defending and attacking] focus on improving the corresponding attributes of your players. The intensity level is how much workload they will put into training. The higher the intensity, the more likely your players are to improve, but they will also get more tired and could suffer more injuries.

So, my suggestion for general training is: keep it on team cohesion until your team reaches at least a "very strong understanding level". After that, you can safely leave on balanced all the time. The intensity can be high on pre season but should be on average during the season. When your schedule is busy and you have two or more games in a week, change intensity to low. If you have no more than one game in a week, you can change it to high.

Match preparation does exactly what the name says: prepares your team for the next match. So what it does is give your team a small boost in that game in the selected focus area. If you will play a difficult away game, it makes sense to choose defensive positioning. If you are the stronger team and expect to dominate the game, it makes sense to choose attacking movement. If your team is lacking cohesiveness, makes sense to choose teamwork. The important thing to remember here is that match preparation preparation has no long term effects, only affects the next game.

There is a slider to select how much match preparation you wish to do. All the way to the right mean no match preparation, so you get no boost at all. The more to the left you select the slider, the more your team will prepare for the next match, at the expense of general training. If you select the slider all the way to the left, your team will have the maximum possible boost in the next game, but will not be doing any general training (training attributes or team cohesion) in the two days prior to any match.

My suggestion for match training is keeping the slider two clicks from the left during the season, and one click from the right during pre season. Before the more important games you can increase the match preparation if you wish. During the season also select "rest day after match".

And finally, for individual training, you have to know that you don't have to train your players in the role they are playing in your tactic. All individual training do is improving attributes or position familiarity. So, first, choose if you wish to retrain the player to a new position, or if you will train him in one of his natural positions. Then, look at the players attributes, age and potential, and decide which attributes you want him to improve, and which attributes he can realistically improve. Then choose a schedule (a role) that will focus on these attributes.

That's my 2 cents on training, I hope it's helpful.

Last edited:
Setting up training is very easy. You just have to understand what each kind of training does.

There are 7 types of general training. One of them [team cohesion] help your team build cohesion faster. You can check your level of cohesiveness in the tactics>analysis>team talk feedback screen. The other 6 types of training [balanced, fitness, tactical, ball control, defending and attacking] focus on improving the corresponding attributes of your players. The intensity level is how much workload they will put into training. The higher the intensity, the more likely your players are to improve, but they will also get more tired and could suffer more injuries.

So, my suggestion for general training is: keep it on team cohesion until your team reaches at least a "very strong understanding level". After that, you can safely leave on balanced all the time. The intensity can be high on pre season but should be on average during the season. When your schedule is busy and you have two or more games in a week, change intensity to low. If you have no more than one game in a week, you can change it to high.

Match preparation does exactly what the name says: prepares your team for the next match. So what it does is give your team a small boost in that game in the selected focus area. If you will play a difficult away game, it makes sense to choose defensive positioning. If you are the stronger team and expect to dominate the game, it makes sense to choose attacking movement. If your team is lacking cohesiveness, makes sense to choose teamwork. The important thing to remember here is that match preparation preparation has no long term effects, only affects the next game.

There is a slider to select how much match preparation you wish to do. All the way to the right mean no match preparation, so you get no boost at all. The more to the left you select the slider, the more your team will prepare for the next match, at the expense of general training. If you select the slider all the way to the left, your team will have the maximum possible boost in the next game, but will not be doing any general training (training attributes or team cohesion) in the two days prior to any match.

My suggestion for match training is keeping the slider two clicks from the left during the season, and one click from the right during pre season. Before the more important games you can increase the match preparation if you wish. During the season also select "rest day after match".

And finally, for individual training, you have to know that you don't have to train your players in the role they are playing in your tactic. All individual training do is improving attributes or position familiarity. So, first, choose if you wish to retrain the player to a new position, or if you will train him in one of his natural positions. Then, look at the players attributes, age and potential, and decide which attributes you want him to improve, and which attributes he can realistically improve. Then choose a schedule (a role) that will focus on these attributes.

Thanks OP

Thanks mate. Very detailed and good observation you got there.

Another question. Does period taken between setting up match preparation and next match had any effect?

Like, setting up match preparation one day before next match or three days before, will it have any difference of impact?

to add to this it takes roughly 3 months for training to take effect - so if you are training other than balanced general training it is recommended to alternate every 3 - 4 months. you get 11 training months every season 1 for holidays where the players are not training.

This also applies to individual attribute training.

If you select the slider all the way to the left, your team will have the maximum possible boost in the next game, but will not be doing any general training (training attributes or team cohesion) in the two days prior to any match.

Your post is totally valid and I agree with it. Only small correction to the quoted part: when the slider is on the far left, it means 50% general training and 50% match preparation. (and as you mentioned: when on far right, it means 0% match preparation and 100% general training.)

I tend to use balanced-average general training during the season and defensive positioning as match preparation by default. Only changing these when the hard times are coming (and trust me, they are coming). Then for some weeks I am changing the general training to team cohesion and match preparation to teamwork. This, along with well-timed team meetings and properly chosen team talks (along with individual conversations) are all helping to maintain team morale and get your team back on track.

A small note here what I observed in my Forest Green Rovers save: when the tactic is already fluid before the season start, using teamwork as match preparation for some time (let's say from the end of July till the end of August) can be very effective and give your team a nice boost at the beggining.

Last edited:
Your post is totally valid and I agree with it. Only small correction to the quoted part: when the slider is on the far left, it means 50% general training and 50% match preparation. (and as you mentioned: when on far right, it means 0% match preparation and 100% general training.)

I tend to use balanced-average general training during the season and defensive positioning as match preparation by default. Only changing these when the hard times are coming (and trust me, they are coming). Then for some weeks I am changing the general training to team cohesion and match preparation to teamwork. This, along with well-timed team meetings and properly chosen team talks (along with individual conversations) are all helping to maintain team morale and get your team back on track.

A small note here what I observed in my Forest Green Rovers save: when the tactic is already fluid before the season start, using teamwork as match preparation for some time (let's say from the end of July till the end of August) can be very effective and give your team a nice boost at the beggining.

Very insightful, I have seeing this on all Your tactics OP and it seems to be working but my problem is with realising or anticipating when the poor form will set in because the poor form usually damages my teams league position before I realise it.

Thanks, will try this

That's how it was on previous versions. However, in this version there is no percentages shown, and if you look in your team training page, when you select the max match preparation, you will see in the calendar that the two days prior to the match will be spent on match preparation:
image.jpg

If you select two clicks from the left (used to be 30%) you will see that only one day before the match your team will begin match preparation:
image.jpg

So I assume that is how it works now.

Thanks mate. Very detailed and good observation you got there.

Another question. Does period taken between setting up match preparation and next match had any effect?

Like, setting up match preparation one day before next match or three days before, will it have any difference of impact?

If I'm right about how it works now, that depends on how much match preparation you set the slider to. If you select two clicks from the left, one day is enough. If you set it to the maximum, you will train the selected focus in the two days before the match. More than two days shouldn't make any difference.