Training player to a new position. Finished?

RiotAct

Reaction score
Hey.
I have re-trained some players to a new position, and in there information tab in now says: Natural.
Should I stop training them on the position, or will they decline if I stop the training?

Will I get some message, when the training is all complete?

Sorry for the fault language and thanks in advance! :)

Hey.
I have re-trained some players to a new position, and in there information tab in now says: Natural.
Should I stop training them on the position, or will they decline if I stop the training?

Will I get some message, when the training is all complete?

Sorry for the fault language and thanks in advance! :)

If it says natural then they are done.

They won't decline. Once they are natural, they can't go beyond. Instead, use position focus, rather than position training.

ive had players go from natural to accomplished tho in earlier save on this game when i stopped training position it all does really depend on the individual if they are good at keeping positions when learnt

That depends on their adaptability. I've had that happen when they went to the NT, and their coach played them in their earlier position. As it stands, once they've reached 'Natural', stop training them to the position, and put to tactical role/individual focus.

I searched a lot of FM2013 forums for the answer to this question when 14 first came out, and the general consensus from those posts was that players almost always go back to 'accomplished' after a while when you cease training them in the position you want them in. This could be quite annoying because training them a new position of course takes up some of their training time and impedes their development in other areas, so if whether to keep training them so that they stay at 'natural' is a bit of a dilemma. However, I'm not sure if this is different for FM2014. The only experience I have is from my England save, where Welbeck and Rooney had both become natural at AML and AMC, respectively, after about two seasons in. I'm not sure whether or not their manager had retrained them to these positions and if so if he was still doing it, but he had definitely been playing them both in only the AML and AMC positions, respectively. So to conclude it's not 100% clear what the answer is to your question, I don't know if anyone has any better experience and can answer more fully.

Yes, in FM13 I had the problem that player were declining back to accomplished when re-training stopped.
But it does'nt seem like people agree or that anyone is 100% certain.
I'll try to stop their position training at see what happens.

Thanks again for your inputs!

as far as I know, if you use the player in the new position always then his familiarity in that new position will stay the same, use him in other positions, and it will fall again.

Yes, if players get to "Natural" state by training, then it can decline back to "Accomplished" after a while. So you need to keep the training up.
And there is no message to this matter.

I have had 1 experience where I trained a winger (he originally could only play on the right wing) to be a 'Natural' attacking midfielder. Later on I sold him and when I had a look at him about a year later and he was considered 'Unconvincing' in the attacking midfield role.
Clearly his new club didn't continue to train him as an attacking midfielder, so it seems once you stop training a player in a position they will slowly decline.

It's not training.. It's usage. I converted Phil Jones to RB an Adnan Januzaj to AML on my Soton save, and was continuing to train them in the position. However, they got called for the WK, where their coaches used them in their earlier natural positions (CB and AMC). They reverted back to accomplished, inspite of me having trained them till then. It depends on their adaptability, essentially. With high adaptability players, I don't think that'll happen. But with lower adaptability players, it happens if they're played in their old positions..

Edit: Make that versatility, not exactly adaptability.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can improve a player's ability in a position (pref. to natural) by simply playing him in said position for a prolonged period of time? Because like I said on last page, Rooney and Welbeck became natural at AMC and AML after David Moyes had played them both exclusively in those positions (Rooney AMC, Welbeck AML) for at least a season, but there is no way of knowing if 'he' manually set them to train in those positions or if they just improved through practice. Does anyone know the answer?

Depends on their versatility, if they're highly versatile probably. But most times, no..

Depends on their versatility, if they're highly versatile probably. But most times, no..

Yeah, you'd think. You can't confirm for certain by any chance, can you? I haven't the time to test it myself. Ta.

Does anyone know if you can improve a player's ability in a position (pref. to natural) by simply playing him in said position for a prolonged period of time? Because like I said on last page, Rooney and Welbeck became natural at AMC and AML after David Moyes had played them both exclusively in those positions (Rooney AMC, Welbeck AML) for at least a season, but there is no way of knowing if 'he' manually set them to train in those positions or if they just improved through practice. Does anyone know the answer?

Yes, playing in that position matters quite a lot.

I researched about this once when I kept training a player to new position and kept playing him in his natural position and I never achieved "natural" status in his new position.

Playing him in the new position should keep the "Natural" level up, or so I think it's ought to be.