MattieD6

Reaction score
cae45e54c033e6dc0760b8382535654c.png

Just one of many games where i've had trouble scoring.

69a490a05096f92151377c8ff343d4dc.png
It's not like my team/tactic isn't great

My 3 main strikers:

448dd497b2c210fce15e5ef30fabd66a.png

9350a6b8fac7f57e7a20a511f17e1db4.png

e455f9dbfe28b2ad6f784fca524aa38d.png

Ferrari is a new signing in January

My stats

bafd0f0a24f7c9d4994575a07674a675.png

The tactic:

525d20562d983ad04e039030cf51f777.png

Is there anything I can do to improve my SoT and GpG ratios?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

so first off, "retain possession" shouldnt be used as a basic strategy. It sacrifices nearly any penetration/attacking intent for the sake of possession, its like telling your team to play keep-away.

Also, the shorter passing shout is usually used with a lower lower tempo, in my understanding the "higher tempo" shout and the "short passing" should contradict one another, I could be wrong however.

The play wider instruction is also contrary to a short passing possession based team.

Arsenal, for instance, who generally play a possession based slow build up system have all these CAM and CM players out wide, so there is very little width, as santi cazorla and jack wilshere are always going to cut inside with the ball.

Lastly, it seems to me that you dont have enough players making runs at the goal. As it stands, its pretty much ONLY your Striker who will be anywhere near the goal. The wingers will stay wide and deep, same with the fullbacks, and the Treq may shoot a lot, but it will all be from long range.

I see those as the most obvious issues.

Check out my post on here from a week or so ago.

Last edited:
I disagree with some of those points. The OP was asking for help turning shots into shots on target and goals. Based on the uploads he provided, he is having plenty of shots and good results, therefore his tactic is working and only requires tweaking.

Whilst retain possession is a more defensive tactic, preventing the opposition from getting the ball, it doesn't mean that you lose all attacking intent. You could argue that in fact it should improve your on target ratio due to fewer shots from outside the area.

Also, there is nothing wrong with playing a short passing style with a high tempo. The higher tempo just runs the risk of misplaced passes if your team aren't good enough to get in position quickly, receive the ball and lay it off to another teammate. This is obviously easier at a lower tempo, but not impossible at higher tempos with a good quality team.

The last point would be worth looking into though. Try looking at the analysis of your matches and try and see where your shots are coming from. It could be that a large proportion of them are coming from outside the area for instance, and this could be linked to a lack of people in the box.

A short passing, high tempo tactic has never caused me much problem.

The players knock the ball around quick enough to make space for on going players just like I want them too.

I use the play wider shout so there's space in the middle of the park for my players to quickly pass the ball ^.

I'll try and take away the retain possession shout to see if that makes any difference but last time I did that my players ignored the pass shorter shout and hoofed the ball into the oppositions final 3rd and 9 times out of 10 lost possession.

I'm not looking to control the game, i'm looking for a quick attacking short passing tactic :).

I've got all my players set to take less shots bar my Striker and LCM so there's no problem there.

My wingers score a decent amount of goals, my LW being my 2nd highest scorer.

3b524e873d11eb7a841a58033c00e1bf.png

I want my striker to be my main goal scoring threat they're just not scoring as much as I'd like them too :(

Thanks for your input though :)

Edit: Didn't see your post marabak will show you where most of my shots are coming from in my next post :)

My last 3 games (The Hull game kinda contradicting my thread hahaha)

7b29d9fabeab15e9ee85af4f16bcb1dc.png

550584a51e7834c52c36e71132357de6.png

271c911143475515e99bfb9a1ec09bb6.png

85be7410eb8bfcb980fe0b2b0e5cd32c.png

Last edited:
In my opinion the simplest answer to this is, the latest update has exacerbated this issue but its an issue thats been with fm14 since release, the shots to goal ratio for Human managers compared to the AI is just down to the match engine. Theres not much more you can do at this moment in time to change that part of what your asking. You could look at it like this as just an example that each 5 of your shots on target is about the same as the AI team having one.

Having said that though based on your screenshots of where your shots are taken from in the Barnsley match, you had quite alot of shorts outside the area in this one and that could be down to the opponent 'parking the bus' and your players unable to find space in the final third so they resorted to taking pot shots outside the area, when this sort of things happen sometimes its better to switch your mentality to Counter or similar so this forces the opponent to move further up the pitch thus creating space for your attacking players to move into.

I do agree with the other people above maybe consider switching one of the wingers to Attack or if you have the player for it of Inside Forward to create an extra player the striker can link up to in the area.

I will look at changing one of my wingers roles then.

It's a network game i'm playing in so results can't be posted until the host is on and that won't be for a while.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

I always look at "Short passing" as "pass to feet" or "low passes". Good for posession tactics, and can be used with any tempo.

When it comes to scoring from anything other than set-pieces I find the players form and mental state equally important as any tactic if not more so. Form to me is like rolling a dice, but you determine his state of mind.

I prefer to shoot less often during the first half. Ie. work ball into the box. After the second half teamtalk I usually manage to get all the players motivated and/or calm, if I then remove the shout and shoot more, I'll have more shots on target in the end than if I were to shoot all game long. Every missed shot reduces the players confidence and rating. You dont want that.

Safe to say, 1st game with my LW set to attack instead of support didn't go to great.

51a9ac04c2f4748e561a69af3e7b97dc.png

9a10f3d369372bee96959966a17d1f00.png

2nd game I was quite happy with the chances we created, going into the game underdogs.

d9ba800c8545b66bd62a6c9287d890f2.png

I started the game changing my Trequista (sp?) to an Enganche which failed so bad hahaha.

Ended up changing my 3 attacking mids to W ( A ) AM (S) W ( A ) at half time and it changed the game. Will try that line up for the next couple of games and see how it does :)

Last edited:
Just remember, No means no. No matter how desperate you are to score.