maxchaplin55

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in my 5th season at Newcastle, and various factors have led me to want to play a 4-4-2, and I am set in my ways of using 2 wide midfielders rather than attacking midfielders, and it has worked well, until recently. But there are a few other that I cannot seem to fix.

I could play 4-4-1-1, as I had last season, but a youth striker really developed whilst on loan and it'd be quality if I could get him and my other ST to play together, both are too good to leave on bench, one is an all round striker, capable of anything, the other is very much an advanced forward, not great with passing or hold up play.

I want to play a fairly patient game, relying on teamwork to get the ball down the pitch, and when I do so, using a little creativity/flair between the strikers to create chances, or the wide men crossing into the box to 2-4 players.

View attachment 105268

1) In my 4-4-2 this season, I am struggling in finding a way to get my support striker to drop deep enough to even be called a support striker, he plays in line with the AF most of the time, I have tried playing with fluidity, roles, but cannot seem to find a way, this is crucial to the way I want to play.

2) This is a very strange problem that has only started to happen recently, I am not sure if an update has caused it, but I am not usually one to blame updates/bugs, but it's so peculiar. My wide midfielders just shoot, all the time, from ridiculous positions, when there are passes on, crosses on, in space, despite me asking both to shoot less, even asking them to cross more and sometimes to work ball into box, it doesn't make sense. Ritchie has the PPM so I accept it'll happen sometimes which it had the past few seasons but now it's regular.

If anyone can shine some light, or whether they have been having similar problems, I'd be grateful! Now I am having trouble with it, I am even more determined to get a 4-4-2 to work!

Thanks

1) If you want him very deep, use Hold Position.

2) seems odd that it start to happen out of nowhere. Generally, when a player is taking bad shots and its not related to PPMs, its usually something to do with the tactical settings. It could by the creative freedom (fluidity), how attacking the tactic is, or TIs. If the tactic is very attacking, it might be that the player isn't looking for sideways or backwards options and is focused on moving the ball forward, as you are demanding. If you have short passing, you may have narrowed the passing options for that player to the point that no one is within it, even if they are open and available. And a cross being "on" is subjective. You might see an "available" player in the box, but the winger might see 3 or 4 defending players within closing down range and realize that is a low percentage option.

1) If you want him very deep, use Hold Position.

Hi, thanks for that, I must have missed that option. I shall remember to use it if i try to get a 442 to work again, however for now I have decided to switch to 4231 as I feel it is more suitable to a team wanting to play attacking football.

2) seems odd that it start to happen out of nowhere. Generally, when a player is taking bad shots and its not related to PPMs, its usually something to do with the tactical settings. It could by the creative freedom (fluidity), how attacking the tactic is, or TIs. If the tactic is very attacking, it might be that the player isn't looking for sideways or backwards options and is focused on moving the ball forward, as you are demanding. If you have short passing, you may have narrowed the passing options for that player to the point that no one is within it, even if they are open and available. And a cross being "on" is subjective. You might see an "available" player in the box, but the winger might see 3 or 4 defending players within closing down range and realize that is a low percentage option.

Yes I completely agree with you, maybe it is also to do with the number 1 problem of my striker not dropping deep enough, also, although I have now moved the wingers further up into a 4231 and it is working alot better, will try with 442 again eventually and hopefully wont encounter the same problems, thanks though!