Trying to emulate Jorge Jesus Sporting CP Tactic (previous tactic of Benfica)

Jhonyb

Reaction score
So i'm a Sporting Lisbon fan and i'm trying to emulate the Jorge Jesus style (that existed in Benfica) and now exists in Sporting CP.

https://i.gyazo.com/a7b2eb7784e94e0bd18271ae07aabd98.png

So in my idea JJ plays with with 2 PLC (IMO A TM on support and another more advanced in this case to suit Montero and Gutierrez i went with Trequarterista), he uses 2 Wingers that i placed in Support duty and in the midfield i went with DLP for organizing the game and defending and AP for attacking purposes (i might be very wrong here). Joao Mario \ Adrien \ Aquillani are very creative midfielders and William Carvalho a defensive midfielder that can set the tempo of the game.

On defense i went with WB because i want the ocassional overlap with the wingers and with Limited defender Cover and Stopper. The Stopper would like like a more retracted DM. (i might be very wrong here)

On the Instructions i went with Control \ Structured

https://i.gyazo.com/0080c31ffdf18d28f324f012c7fc6365.png

Shorter Passing \ Play out of defence \ Work Ball into the box and Pass into space for the wingers\Trequarterista movements also retain Possesion to control the game and Whipped Crosses bc of slimani.

This instructions is where i might be confusing my players.
What is happening is a tremendous inconsistency where i can win 3-0 or i can lose 3-0, sometimes i have 60% Possesion ( i actually had 80% possesion vs Fenerbache and tied 1-1) or i can have 40% possesion. Sometimes i barely have a shot, other times i shot alot!

Can anyone help me please :)

I have no idea what play style you're trying to create, but the problem is that it's all very static. Only the Trequartista will offer some movement and no one is trying to vertically stretch the defence. You're playing in front of the opposition defence and it should in theory be dead easy to defend against this team.

The only way you may get success, is against defences who are aggressive in their pressing - opening space for you. You won't be able to open up defences who sit back.

I have no idea what play style you're trying to create, but the problem is that it's all very static. Only the Trequartista will offer some movement and no one is trying to vertically stretch the defence. You're playing in front of the opposition defence and it should in theory be dead easy to defend against this team.

The only way you may get success, is against defences who are aggressive in their pressing - opening space for you. You won't be able to open up defences who sit back.

I'm trying to emulate a high pressing team (ST \ Wingers pressing up top) and i'm trying to get or the ball through the wings for a cross to Slimani or Slimani to hold up the ball and distribute to the wingers\or Trequarterista or midfielders to open space for wingers to penetrate or cross.

Can you get me some pointers on the roles?

EDIT: how can i add more movement to the team like you said?

I'm trying to emulate a high pressing team (ST \ Wingers pressing up top) and i'm trying to get or the ball through the wings for a cross to Slimani or Slimani to hold up the ball and distribute to the wingers\or Trequarterista or midfielders to open space for wingers to penetrate or cross.

Can you get me some pointers on the roles?

EDIT: how can i add more movement to the team like you said?
I can't give you pointers on your specific style of wanting to emulate Jorge Jesus.

Your wingers are static. The TM is static. The AP and DLP will sit in midfield. The Treq/A will roam a bit, but not make many runs. You need at the very least one Attack duty player who will stretch the defence vertically - the trequartista won't do that aggressively enough. You have no movement between the lines at all.

You also seem to want to focus on crosses. Why are you then cutting down on crosses by setting Work Ball Into Box?

I had a very good season with SLB, when using Jorge Jesus' tactical style.
I used a wide 4-1-2-1-2:

GK

FB(A) LT(D) CB(D) FB(S)

DM (D) or sometimes a DLP, depending on the player
W (S) W (A)
APM (S)

P (A) F9(S)

Control/ Flexible: Short Passing, Drible against defence, Play from the back, More pressure, Play wider, Work ball in to box

When William Carvalho plays, he assumes a DM position, I think you should use this to create shorter passing lanes. As your instructions said. You're making your defenders pass the ball short expecting that you DPL will always be there. I prefer a Def. mid assuming that position, making sure the short pass from defence is safe