Trying to kickstart a possible football career ...

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 3K
I was just wondering, how do you find out if and when clubs are doing open days for trials for free?

I was just wondering, how do you find out if and when clubs are doing open days for trials for free?

Ring them. I'm sure the receptionist/secretary knows, or at least knows someone who knows.

Ring/email clubs, even if they dont ahve a trial they often ring/email back when they do to get as many people (and as much money) to come as possible.

You need to start getting fit. If there is a field around your area do regular jogs. I play football and jog around my back field twice a week. four times a week pre-season. You need to find a team primarily though. It really isn't as hard as you think to find one. I don't have a great record, multiple unsuccessful trials, Liverpool and Halewood league player of the year being my greatest achievement, yet AFC Liverpool offered me sessions to train with them. Go to a local team when they're training on a field and if you're lucky the manager will give you a chance. The manager will judge your best position and hopefully he is a decent manager.

I'm being scouted by a couple of clubs and I am fully grateful to my Sunday-League manager who I've been with for 7 full seasons. Wouldn't be the player I am without him :)

whatever happens mate, dont give up on your education, its vital. sorry for the boring post but i know so many people that just dont try on their studies and seriously regret it. by all means chase your dream, but have something to fall back on as well :)

and good luck

Bit late to want to get scouted now, you'll have to join one of your local team's, go to a team in the highest division as that's where the scouts will most likely be, also, if you think your good enough, I reccomend sending a letter/email to a team you live nearby to, like if it was me, it would be Woodley Sports, and they will surely give you feedback, if your not good enough for them, you'll have to face that your not cut out to be a footballer, if they *** you and say they'll give you a trial, send a letter in to a League Two side, when you send the letter explain why you've not played for a team and be honest, because if you say "I've played for a team for 6 years and scored in every game" they won't believe you, and think you're being pathetic and trying too hard, I played for a team for nearly 11 years, and I faced about 2 years ago I won't be a footballer, and quit my team and now focusing on other things, so I know what junior football is about.

The reason I recommended sending a letter into a Lower League Team is because, one of Stockport's former players, Andy Welsh got into football that way.
Give it a try.

tough truth is I would say it's too late to really go for it. There will be people younger than you who have had the same attitude for longer and have more of a chance of making (though minimal at best). I'm not saying give up all together but I don't think you can make it as a pro. By all means play with your mates etc and have fun but at the end of the day education comes first so you can have a good future, even if it doesn't heavily involve football

tough truth is I would say it's too late to really go for it. There will be people younger than you who have had the same attitude for longer and have more of a chance of making (though minimal at best). I'm not saying give up all together but I don't think you can make it as a pro. By all means play with your mates etc and have fun but at the end of the day education comes first so you can have a good future, even if it doesn't heavily involve football

ian_wright2.jpg

Lee Trundle got scouted playing for a Sunday league team at the age off 21 or 22. It's never too late.

Its never to late mate i was a Watford fc for 3 years and luton town for a year got tendonitis at the age of 16 im 18 now and im fully raring to go ive already had offers to come down to a few clubs...But what i would say is for you to not know what position your best in you really arent playing enough football to get a look in at pro level my watford coaches had theory that you need to play over 10,000 hrs of football to stand a chance of becoming a pro...SO GET STARTED :) (and good luck)

Its never to late mate i was a Watford fc for 3 years and luton town for a year got tendonitis at the age of 16 im 18 now and im fully raring to go ive already had offers to come down to a few clubs...But what i would say is for you to not know what position your best in you really arent playing enough football to get a look in at pro level my watford coaches had theory that you need to play over 10,000 hrs of football to stand a chance of becoming a pro...SO GET STARTED :) (and good luck)
Nice, you local to Luton and Watford then? If you are, you could be quite local to me :)

I know a few people who play for Luton academy and CoE.

The important thing to remember is work hard, show an interest to learn and dont get disheartened when you recieve criticism or make a mistake, always stay positive and have no regrets.

Nice, you local to Luton and Watford then? If you are, you could be quite local to me :)

I know a few people who play for Luton academy and CoE.

i had a temporary scholarship at luton town so i had to move up to your sides but i live near wembley stadium lol

Ummm, heres a related question. This has been suggested to me, but wondering if anybody does actually do it, but can you write to pro-clubs asking for a trial ?

Ummm, heres a related question. This has been suggested to me, but wondering if anybody does actually do it, but can you write to pro-clubs asking for a trial ?
Yup if you have a good CV and References

Id consider you as a central midfielder or a central attacking midfielder. Set out a daily planner for exercise. Theres no need for a gym at this stage just focus on the basics, running, chin ups, press ups just to build some speed and physical presence. Also join a sunday league team as it looks good on your cv and will give you match practice. ignore people that told you you wont make it,if your determined enough you can. I speak from experience as i was offered a semi-pro contract at a similar age at a top irish club.

What Jake said...

I think, at 15 you're too late. Wenger has said though that the key thing for budding footballers is determination, and strength, if you're not strong enough, you won't make it into the big time, then there obviously has to be quality then match time and experience.. here's the video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G8E01bn7J4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G8E01bn7J4[/ame]

frederickooo - if you think you're good at football or youve got anything talented or creative within yourself, then i say **** school and do what you want to do
First off, I'm all for people achieving what they want to do in life but I'm not one for giving people false hope. Like Jak 16 said, just enjoy your football, sign up for a local team, get experience playing competitive find out your strengths, best position and then progress once you get older, maybe a county team, but don't set the bar so high. You are very unlikely to make premiership criteria unless you are exceptional or catch the eye of a scout so maybe try and work on your game and find out a way to approach a lower division club i.e blue square/north/south or lower part time teams I'm sure clubs like this offer open trials at some point, and if this works out in some cases you may get spotted such as Dj Campbell, Aaron McLean & Chris Smalling did, they all played for BSP/N/S clubs and got spotted and moved up divisions.
I'm 27 now and was a really good footballer, I played at county level and a town team, I can play a number of positions but naturally AM, I'm also naturally both footed, I've even had a praise from a former footballer and now I fix computers haha. so just don't give up on school like Frederickooo said because it may never happen.

BUT don't give up, just enjoy your football no matter what level you play at... the money is a nice incentive which comes with pro football but it's all the same thing at the end of the day.

EDIT: Just realised I put ''at the end of the day''

Last edited:
If you've got stairs you can get fit super quick -- sprint up (stepping on every step), walk down (this is your breather) and repeat at least 30 times without stopping. I do this in pre-season as an extra and it works wonders.

For control, agility and honing your skills get a ball and find a wall somewhere (one that meets another at an angle is best) and hit the ball against it -- try and keep the ball moving at all times for as long as possible using headers, volleys, passes etc. Might sound daft, but this is a great way to improve. Ball juggling is also good for control as it the following exercise...

Buy some cones (they're really cheap) and make a square about 6 or 7 steps wide and long. Fill it with 10 or so randomly placed cones and then dribble around the cones (switching direction, changing your speed and alternating feet as much as possible). Try to stay within the square at all times.

Get yourself signed up for a team asap and, if possible, try and get a few mates to meet up for 5 a-side once a week (5 a-side is brilliant for improving your skills due to overcrowded playing field and lack of time on the ball.) Basically, play as much as possible, but only so long as it's enjoyable.

As far as your position is concerned, just go with whatever the coach says -- it's better to be on the field learning your trade than waiting on the bench for a better player in your favoured position to get an injury or suspension before you get to play. It might not be your favoured position, but if you're any good the coach will spot this and, if he's any good himself, he will move you (Ashley Cole used to be a striker, as did Spurs GK Gomes.)

I would also lower your expectations -- I say this because you've already stated that you are not playng for a club and don't even know your own position so the likes of Manchester Utd aren't going to pick you up now in all honesty. Go for the lower leagues and work your way up -- it's been done before many of times.

I'd also have a few minutes alone with yourself and figure out why you have had problems with so many team-mates in the past -- is it your attitude? or did you play with bullies? If it's your attitude, then try and sort it out -- foootball is a team game after all.

Also, try not to smoke as you get older -- it will damage more than just your health.

Best of luck :)

Edit -- Also, Jake's earlier post offers brilliant advice and although there's a little conflict between what we've said about your position I'd go with Jake's advice when attending trials etc... When I spoke about your position I was talking more about your school team and stuff where you need to just get on that pitch and play -- I wasn't talking about the semi-pro/pro game.

Last edited:
Back