Trying to master the exciting Counter-Attack philosophy

pala

Reaction score
Hello!
So I have been on a quest for myself to try to master the Counter Attack that dominated people's heart in this year's Liverpool's fantastic run. I decided I should open this thread to review some of my ideas and also receive some feedback in improving it.

The tactic is a Very rigid 4-4-2 taking advantage of the Suarez and Sturridge combo (In borini's place, it's actually a AF and not Poacher).

View attachment 384984

The left side is an alteration between Konoplyanka and Countinho as Advanced Playmaker on Attack if I am in need of more penetration. I choose Very Rigid as players simply don't follow the rules at all under Very Fluid, simple as that.

So here is the lineup, what do you guys think of it? Any improvements? Anything I should switch? Do you think I need a different formation?

Very light in defence. No cover at all from the midfield for the 2 centre backs. The CWB's will get far forward, so will the CM's, leaving the 2 defenders exposed.

Very light in defence. No cover at all from the midfield for the 2 centre backs. The CWB's will get far forward, so will the CM's, leaving the 2 defenders exposed.
That's true, but the impact Lallana had on the team has been massive. His an extremely important part of my attacking setup, scores, creates chances and assists a lot.

Am an avid Liverpool fan so I've therefor been trying to make a carbon copy of Rodgers philosophy as well, this is what I've came up with so far, feel free to download the tactic and have a look at it, I'll give a thorough reply when I have time.

View attachment 384975

What is your say on trying to also develop a set pieces counter attacking tactic? Do you think I can make my enemy's set pieces my advantage?

What is your say on trying to also develop a set pieces counter attacking tactic? Do you think I can make my enemy's set pieces my advantage?

It would be very difficult/virtually impossible to create a tactic which will guarantee set pieces to counter attack from. That being said any defensive set up for set pieces will have a viable counter attacking option built in to try and expose teams with advanced defenders.

In my opinion stick to your initial plan, build a perfect counter attacking tactic, and then implement a solid set piece routine and you will already have what you are suggesting here built in :D

It would be very difficult/virtually impossible to create a tactic which will guarantee set pieces to counter attack from. That being said any defensive set up for set pieces will have a viable counter attacking option built in to try and expose teams with advanced defenders.

In my opinion stick to your initial plan, build a perfect counter attacking tactic, and then implement a solid set piece routine and you will already have what you are suggesting here built in :D

If you watched Liverpool regulary, one of the exciting moment you can feel is when the opposition gets a set piece. You just know that the moment a defender shifts the ball wide to the center either Sturridge, Suarez or Sterling is going to catch the ball and launch a crazy-*** counter attack. It was simply amazing to watch. So so sad that it might not be possible to create!

What I noticed so far: Counter attack seems ineffective versus teams setting deep as there seems to lack penetration, and vs teams who press like mad cows, as the team tries to launch the ball forward but my players almost never manages to get hold of the ball.

It might be a good idea to implement a plan B which is a more possession oriented tactic.

I edited my tactic and I will post it soon.

Two things:
What is your opinion on Direct vs Short passing? Direct suits much more to the counter style, but the players don't any sign of adaptions and just cross the ball forward like headless chickens, losing up possession a lot due to that.

I seem to be short in midfield. Any ways to figure a solution for that without moving another midfielder? I tried putting a DLF to come deep, and also trying to use the flanks more than the middle, so I will be taking advantage of my numbers in the touchline.

You can instruct your team to play short passes and it's best to tell the defenders to do so, to stop them giving the ball away. But if you have a central midfielder whose attributes list Likes to switch ball to other flank and/or Tries long range passes then encourage them to play More direct passes. This will enable your team to shift the angle of attack quickly when one path to goal is blocked but another opens.

If your midfielders don't have those attributes (Steven Gerrard must have, surely) then train them up.

Ok, something that FREAKS me out is I'm ridiculously vulnerable on the flanks, I mean seriously. It doesn't matter if I put my FB's in line with my defenders, and on Defend duty, and my wingers on the midfield area, I still literally concede about 5 goals from the flanks!!!!

How's your tactic working?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk