Trying to Tweak My Liverpool Tactic

Mazzie

Reaction score
Hello,

I haven't posted in here in a while. Recently got into FM2014 again with the new patches(yay).

I'm playing as Liverpool in my first season, but my team is still struggling. I only brought in one defender: Subotic so my team is generally the same. I definitely plan on buying another defensive midfielder, but I'm using Rossiter as back up for now.

My tactic is 4-1-1-3-1 with attacking mentality and very rigid fluidity.

My team instructions are: More direct passing, pass into space, run at defence, play wider, drop deeper, stick to position, hassle opponents, stay on feet, be more expressive, pump ball into box, and higher tempo.

The roles for each position are:

(Advanced Forward: Attack)
(Inside Forward:Attack) (Advanced Playmaker: Support) (Inside Forward: Attack)
(Deep Lying Playmaker:Support)
(Anchor Man: Defend)
(Fullback:Support) (Ball Playing Defender: Defend) (Central Defender: Defend) (Fullback: Support)

Note: I may edit to add player instructions if needed.

My goal is to reduce crossings because that seems to never work well for me in general, so I'm hoping to make my team to pass more and create chances by pass in open space. One thing I'm really struggling with a lot right now is defending. My defenders don't seem to mesh well and tend to allow a striker to walk in open area and score. I suspect it's because of the play wider instruction I have for the team. I'm also thinking of dropping be more expressive or fine tune fluidity to rigid or balanced, but haven't decided.

Also, I cannot seems to get my fullback to play well for some reason. They tend to be my worst players every game.

Any advices would be greatly appreciated!

Liverpool Football Statistics | WhoScored.com

i think for liverpool is 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-3-3(with wingers).
FB support,BP Defenders.Gerrard as DLP(through balls often) - Defend.Henderson and Allen/Coutinho as MC or B-t-B,something like that.Inside Fowards on the wings(if you play Coutinho on the left,i would put him as Adv.Playmaker,cutting inside),on the left set to move into channels.And Suarez upfront as Advanced Foward.
Short passing,quick tempo,fluid,attacking mentality,easy tackle but hassle opponents(upfront,gerrard and the defensive system i would put normal tackling),normal width...i think it's a start.

EDIT: Tactical analisys of games with 4-3-3 and 4-1-2-1-2 links: Liverpool 4 Swansea 3 | Post-Match Stats & Tactical Analysis Southampton 0 Liverpool 3 | Post-Match Stats & Tactical Analysis Cardiff City 3 Liverpool 6 | Post-Match Stats & Tactical Analysis

Last edited:
so you are playing to a target man? Advanced foward could do that, but you need to play narrower....also, so many of your players stay forward, you could use a more fluid philosophy to have them track back to help defence, and also encourage your fullbacks to go help attack since you are cutting in with inside forwards. Maybe change your inside forwards to adv playmaker attack to help the adv forward supply...

I am afraid to set my lone striker to either poacher or target man, because I don't want to limit my striker to be either physical or quick. Plus, Suarez is an incredible striker so I think he can be good being the lone advanced forward. Unless complete forward fit him better?

I just tweaked the fluidity to Balanced and see if that help, plus change from play wide to narrower.

Will play at least 5 to 8 games to see if the result improves.

Thank you guys for the advices!

With all the technical ability Liverpool have I'm not sure pumping the ball into the box is the way to go, unless you're trying to emulate Tony Pulis, pretty sure you'll just get lots of crosses into the box and Suarez and Sturridge aren't the tallest and are much better with the ball at their feet. Maybe shorter passing or leave it at default? Dropping deep and playing wider will leave you so open at the back, if you're going to play deep I would suggest a more narrow formation. Also, since Liverpool have alot of creativity maybe try a more fluid style with players allowed more creative freedom rather sticking to position.

But, if you're looking to go with a counter attacking mentality, i'd play narrow, drop deeper and stand off opponents, as hassling them deep in your own half is dangerous, as the more creative players will drag you out of position and create space in front of goal.

Alright, so do you think "work the ball into the box" will be a better instruction, or just remove the option? I want to find a way to encourage the attacking players to play the ball in the box instead of crossing in.

Alright, so do you think "work the ball into the box" will be a better instruction, or just remove the option? I want to find a way to encourage the attacking players to play the ball in the box instead of crossing in.

Yeah I'd go with 'work ball into the box'. If you're not playing counter attacking football I wouldn't play too deep either, unless you're away from home against a top side and expect to lose possession or the opposition has a lot of pace.

Here's what I would do with Liverpool:

Fluid / Attacking

Shorter Passing, Pass Into Space, Work Ball Into Box, Play Out of Defence, Drill Crosses (or leave as default)

Look for Overlap, Push Higher Up

Hassle Opponents, Stay on Feet

Higher Tempo, Be More Expressive

I'm not a tactical expert but I think that should work well for Liverpool, especially at home and to weaker teams away.

Thanks Danny.

I modified the team instructions to: Pass into space, shorter passing, run at defence, drop deeper, hassle opponents, stay on feet, be more expressive, higher tempo, play narrower, work ball into box.

Seems to be working ok so far. Beat Everton at their home yay! About to play Tottenham with Man Utd next so that would be the real test.

Thanks Danny.

I modified the team instructions to: Pass into space, shorter passing, run at defence, drop deeper, hassle opponents, stay on feet, be more expressive, higher tempo, play narrower, work ball into box.

Seems to be working ok so far. Beat Everton at their home yay! About to play Tottenham with Man Utd next so that would be the real test.

the drop deeper instruction is very strange. You said yourself your defense often allows players to wander into goal scoring position, the drop deeper instruction is why. It also doesn't mesh particularly well with the hassle opponents instruction.

My guess is that it creates huge pockets of space between your midfield (who will be attempting to close down players) and your defensive line (who will be dropping deeper) when their midfield has possession. If what you are trying to do is allow the opponent to come into your half, then get hassled, individual instructions are a better way to do it.

How would you set the individual instructions for the defenders? Mine currently are set as this:

(Left Fullback:Support)-run wide with ball, shoot less often, cross less often, more direct passes, hold position, mark tighter.
(Left Ball Playing Defender: Defend)- fewer risky passes, mark tighter
(Right Central Defender: Defend)- Mark tighter
(Right Fullback:Support)- Shoot less often, run wide with ball, more direct passes, cross less often.

Honestly, the individual instructions are still bit hazy to me and I'm still learning about these.